03. With Different Eyes
04. Escape These Walls
05. Decorus
06. Misconceptions
07. Echoes
08. Hands Of Time
09. The Impact Of Two Hearts
10. A Clear Perception

You know what? I don't hear all that much metalcore here. With a band name like "The Eyes Of A Traitor" and a band pic featuring a guy in a Joker t-shirt, you'd be excused for thinking this is metalcore but you'd be wrong. This is because The Eyes Of A Traitor actually remind me far more of Mnemic, with some more similarities to the current biggest innovators on the scene - Gojira and Burst. And really, how can you go wrong with a band that gets mentioned alongside these modern classics?

A Clear Perception is filled to the brim with extremely catchy post-Fear Factory staccato riffing and leads that alternate between shredding and textured soundscaping. The interplay between the drums and guitars is truly amazing here and must be heard to be believed. On top of this, the songwriting is solid throughout and surprisingly complex for a band this young. The vocals are varied with deep growls and chanted clean singing being dominated by a hardcore scream. Nevertheless, the lyrics are somewhat juvenile, mixing despair with a youthful anger, a combination that does not necessarily work all the time. And alas, this is the sole problem with this album that I just cant get over. It is like a young kung fu fighter who has a really flashy style showcasing all the incredible acrobatic abilities and fancy moves that are difficult to pull off. Nevertheless, an older and more experienced master knows that all you really need to incapacitate an opponent is a single, well-placed kick in the balls.

I have a feeling The Eyes Of A Traitor will become said sensei soon, given the experience they are likely to gain from touring with Gojira. Nevertheless, even in their current formative state, their music is really powerful and impressive.

Written on 08.04.2009 by With Metal Storm since 2002, jupitreas has been subjecting the masses to his reviews for quite a while now. He lives in Warsaw, Poland, where he does his best to avoid prosecution for being so cool.

Comments

Comments: 5   Visited by: 92 users
08.04.2009 - 15:26
-DC-002-
Mastercommander
Interesting album art...
----
Coldgrits
08.04.2009 - 17:14
Thryce
Retired Staff
Don't really see the connection between The Joker and metalcore.

And what's wrong with wearing a Joker t-shirt in the first place? Have one myself, you know, a much cooler one than that guy... but still.
----
Your favorite band sucks.
08.04.2009 - 17:46
Uirapuru
Liver Failure
It looks cool in every aspect.. ill check this out for sure.
----

----
member of the true crusade against old school heavy metal, early 80s thrash, NWOBHM, traditional doom, first and second wave black metal, old school death metal, US power metal, 70s prog rock and atmospheric doomsludgestoner. o/
10.04.2009 - 18:51
BRJ Events

These boys are constantly touring the UK. they are a good live act, however i dont feel this album lives up to their stage performance.
----
www.myspace.com/brjevents
24.12.2009 - 19:18
Rating: 8
I, The Quatropus

Picked up this album. Good shit, indeed.
----
Burzum did it for the lulz

Hits total: 7215 | This month: 3