News

Reviews

Photo galleries

Comments

Comments: 62   Visited by: 185 users
10.04.2009 - 05:28
Baz Anderson
Staff
So the first three bands for this year's is announced!
10.04.2009 - 15:06
Thryce
Retired Staff
Elite
Written by Baz Anderson on 10.04.2009 at 05:28

So the first three bands for this year's is announced!

...and all three are just excellent if you ask me. Would definitely go if I lived anywhere near

Year after year Damnation offers some pretty solid (and above all interesting) line ups, it seems. The world needs more festivals like this one.
----
Your favorite band sucks.
08.06.2009 - 16:27
Baz Anderson
Staff
Akercocke back in Leeds, that's good news. They were fantastic at the Deathfest.
20.08.2009 - 14:00
Baz Anderson
Staff
Will someone please tell me why I should be appreciating this line-up...

To me the only interesting bands there are Destruction and Akercocke. (Okay, now I've seen Mithras are playing there... so that's another one.)
20.08.2009 - 18:43
Promonex
Cathemeral
Elite
Written by Baz Anderson on 20.08.2009 at 14:00

To me the only interesting bands there are Destruction and Akercocke. (Okay, now I've seen Mithras are playing there... so that's another one.)

What about Rotting Christ, Negură Bunget, Anathema and Electric Wizard?
----
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu... This is the truth! This is my belief! ...At least for now.
- The Mystery of Life, Vol. 841 Ch. 26
20.08.2009 - 18:54
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite

Thios line-up is infinitely superior to what Bloodstock had to offer. Unless you only want to go to festivals for mainstream big names of course...

Just look at this:
Life Of Agony
Lock Up
Therapy?
Destruction
Anathema
Electric Wizard
Jesu
Rotting Christ
Akercocke
A Storm Of Light
Mistress
Negură Bunget
Minsk
Extreme Noise Terror
The Gates Of Slumber
Mithras (especially for you Barry )
Firebird

Now, that's what I call a good solid line-up with quite a lot of smaller lesser known brilliant bands in there.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

20.08.2009 - 18:54
Baz Anderson
Staff
Written by Promonex on 20.08.2009 at 18:43

What about Rotting Christ, Negură Bunget, Anathema and Electric Wizard?

Rotting Christ and Negură Bunget haven't done much for me live before, I just saw Anathema at Bloodstock and they're not really my thing either. Electric Wizard I am not familiar with, but I could enjoy.
The problem just is that it doesn't interest my personal tastes much. Last year I saw Carcass, Napalm Death, Sigh, Onslaught and Benediction there - these are much more my kind of thing, but there isn't any of that this year.
20.08.2009 - 18:56
Baz Anderson
Staff
Most of those just aren't my kind of thing though, Marcel. That's the problem.
If I don't have anything else on, I probably still will attempt to go though.
20.08.2009 - 18:57
Promonex
Cathemeral
Elite
If you have seen Negură only at last year's Wacken, that performance was far from representative. The sound, the environment, the audience, everything just contributed to making it the worst of the four gigs I've seen of them. Unless you've already seen them a second time I recommend giving them another try.
----
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu... This is the truth! This is my belief! ...At least for now.
20.08.2009 - 18:59
Baz Anderson
Staff
Maybe I will. The main problem really is that I am not that familiar with many of the bands on here because they're not in the genres I listen to most.

Maybe if someone has any spare time they could give a couple of words for each band telling me what kind of music they play - if I am likely to like them or not.
20.08.2009 - 19:00
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by Baz Anderson on 20.08.2009 at 18:56

Most of those just aren't my kind of thing though, Marcel. That's the problem.
If I don't have anything else on, I probably still will attempt to go though.

Even though some might not be your thing, stop playing it safe and dare and see bands you think will not appeal to you, you might be surprised.
And not only that... but ffs ONLY 29.50 pounds? That's only 34 euro. You won't find a festival anywhere in the world that offers this sort of quality for that price. Best value for money around without a doubt.
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

20.08.2009 - 19:01
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by Promonex on 20.08.2009 at 18:57

If you have seen Negură only at last year's Wacken, that performance was far from representative. The sound, the environment, the audience, everything just contributed to making it the worst of the four gigs I've seen of them. Unless you've already seen them a second time I recommend giving them another try.

Problem with Negura currently is of course that the most important band members have left the band.
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

20.08.2009 - 19:06
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by Baz Anderson on 20.08.2009 at 18:59

Maybe I will. The main problem really is that I am not that familiar with many of the bands on here because they're not in the genres I listen to most.

Like I just said... stop playing it safe. Dare to take chances. It's only 29,50 pounds can't go wrong there at all for that price.

Extreme Noise Terror are together with Napalm Death amongst the first grindcore bands and Firebird is Carcass' Bill Steer's stoner band. (to give you a conection to you much beloved Napalm Death and Carcass.)
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

20.08.2009 - 19:08
Promonex
Cathemeral
Elite
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 20.08.2009 at 19:01

Problem with Negura currently is of course that the most important band members have left the band.

Yeah, it's pretty much a cover band by now and I'm especially anxious about the vocals of Hupogrammos' replacement. I wouldn't want to miss them anyway as the songs are still full of Hupogrammos' and Sol Faur's spirit.
----
20.08.2009 - 19:10
Promonex
Cathemeral
Elite
And for some more connections:

Lock Up: deathgrind by Shane Embury, Nick Barker and Tomas Lindberg. And some other guy on guitars. I don't know them myself, but reading the names and the genre alone they will probably be along your alley. It's also probably their last gig ever.

Mistress: another last show ever. Some pretty grinding yet sludgy stuff featuring Dave Hunt of Anaal Nathrakh and Mick Kenney of Anaal Nathrakh and Benediction.
----
20.08.2009 - 19:14
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by Promonex on 20.08.2009 at 19:08

Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 20.08.2009 at 19:01

Yeah, it's pretty much a cover band by now and I'm especially anxious about the vocals of Hupogrammos' replacement. I wouldn't want to miss them anyway as the songs are still full of Hupogrammos' and Sol Faur's spirit.

I am really immensely happy, glad, over the moon, lucky that I saw them at Roadburn which turned out to be their last ever gig with Hupogrammos and Sol Faur (as I am glad about seeing Trouble's last ever with Eric Wagner the year before at Roadburn)
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

20.08.2009 - 19:44
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
Admin
That's a good enough line-up i'd pinch the pennies to catch it..

Jesu (yet another band in the fest with ties to Napalm Death)
Gates of Slumber
new-gura Bunget

are worth the cost of admission alone based upon my tastes, with ENT, Electric Wizard, Lock UP, Anathema, and Minsk also being other bands i'd definitely be interested in catching.

i think you Euros are spoiled with your fests!
----
get the fuck off my lawn.

Beer Bug Virus Spotify Playlist crafted by Nikarg and I. Feel free to tune in and add some pertinent metal tunes!
24.08.2009 - 23:21
Baz Anderson
Staff
Seems I will be going this year too. In a weird way I am looking forward to it because it'll give me a chance to see some different kind of bands.
Last year's festival was fantastic, so hopefully this will be too. And come on, anything with Mithras - it has to be seen. Hahaha.
25.08.2009 - 04:15
Stuart
MiseryKing
I gotta be honest this lineup looks amazing, why am i even having doubts about going? maybe its the long train journey from London.
25.08.2009 - 21:48
Baz Anderson
Staff
Nazxul are now coming over for their first ever UK show. This really is quite an interesting line-up of bands.
26.08.2009 - 23:21
Necrogeddon
Born Too Late
Written by Promonex on 20.08.2009 at 19:10

And for some more connections:

Lock Up: deathgrind by Shane Embury, Nick Barker and Tomas Lindberg. And some other guy on guitars. I don't know them myself, but reading the names and the genre alone they will probably be along your alley. It's also probably their last gig ever.

Mistress: another last show ever. Some pretty grinding yet sludgy stuff featuring Dave Hunt of Anaal Nathrakh and Mick Kenney of Anaal Nathrakh and Benediction.

Actually Dave Hunt is in Benediction not Mick Kenney But Mistress are incredible, a pretty venomous band, really sludgy, I wish I could go see them...
----
'I wish you all had one neck and that I had my hands on it.'
28.08.2009 - 19:17
Baz Anderson
Staff
Last year they had three stages going on at the same time, so there were lots of clashes. There's actually quite a few bands I'd be interested in seeing here now - so I just hope the times are arranged better. Clashes are a horrible thing.
30.08.2009 - 22:39
Promonex
Cathemeral
Elite
Three stages? What the fuck?! They should only have one stage and make this a two day festival. Where's the point in having an epic lineup if people only get to see one third of it?
----
31.08.2009 - 07:40
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by Promonex on 30.08.2009 at 22:39

Three stages? What the fuck?! They should only have one stage and make this a two day festival. Where's the point in having an epic lineup if people only get to see one third of it?

I was thinking the exact same thing. PLus also that now you can rest assured that the people present will once again only go and see the bands they already know.
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

02.09.2009 - 17:27
Poster.

02.09.2009 - 17:44
Baz Anderson
Staff
So that looks like Mithras will clash with The Gates Of Slumber, Electric Wizard will probably clash with Extreme Noise Terror and Negura Bunget, and Destruction and Akercocke might clash.

Great.
03.09.2009 - 16:37
Baz Anderson
Staff
Ah no, Mithras had better not clash with Electric Wizard. Really...
03.09.2009 - 17:10
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by Baz Anderson on 03.09.2009 at 16:37

Ah no, Mithras had better not clash with Electric Wizard. Really...

Then skip Mithras for a change, you have already seen them a couple of times.
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

03.09.2009 - 17:45
Deadsoulman
Elite
That, and also Electric Wizard really has to be experienced in a live setting. Should I mention that they were one of the top three concerts at Hellfest this year for me, even though I was not really familiar with them at the time?
03.09.2009 - 18:22
Baz Anderson
Staff
I've only seen Mithras once before, and never with their new singer.
If it was a straight choice, I'd never miss Mithras - but I had a look on the forums and apparently they are trying to get the bands going at slightly different times so they don't completely clash.

We'll just have to see what the running order is when it's done.

Hits total: 7738 | This month: 9