Metal Storm logo
Ask your language questions here

Original post

Posted by , 10.04.2009 - 17:15
Just ask your language questions here. doesnt matter if its not about English. you can ask about any languages here.

But, Especially ppl from USA, plz dont take ppl's Dication Faults here. this is not a thread about it. thankx
04.02.2015 - 16:41
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by ylside on 04.02.2015 at 16:03

Written by FOOCK Nam on 04.02.2015 at 03:01

just quote

I have a question but before I must ask, are you a native Vietnamese speaker or do you just live in Vietnam ?

He is native and still live sin a Nam
----
Life is to short for LOVE, there is many great things to do online !!!

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
11.02.2015 - 01:57
FOOCK Nam

Written by IronAngel on 04.02.2015 at 14:17

Well, here's an example:

Last Christmas I had the worst nightmare ever. (Past tense; an incident happened.) I had had bad dreams before (plusquamperfect or whatever in English: something had already happened before the past moment that the past tense refers to), but this was something else. Ever since I have gone to bed with my teddy-bear. (Perfect tense, implying action that is continual and after the past tense event.)

This is not a hard-and-fast rule in English, but often the past tense (was) and the plusquamperfect/past perfect (had been) go together as two levels of time, as do that present tense (is) and the perfect tense (has been):

I am happier than ever, although I have been quite happy before.

I was happier than ever, although I had been quite happy before.

You can also mix past and perfect tense as in my first example:
Although I was happier than ever before, I have been even happier since.

But really, you can use them all; see:
I had never been happy before, but last Christmas I was finally happy for the first time. I have been happy a few times since, but right now I am sad.

You see the different levels of time involved?

When you write fiction or other narrative, you often/traditionally use the past tense to narrate what happened, and the plusquamperfect/past perfect to refer to stuff before that time. Present and perfect tense can serve as a tool to step out of the story, address the audience or comment on the narrator's person/act of narrating: "I have not been able to recount these events since that horrible night, but finally I am ready to put it in writing." This is only one option, of course, and plenty of prose is narrated in the present tense. "I reach for the door, my and trembling. Slowly, I peek inside - I have never been as terrified." Generally, you want to make a decision and stick with it logically.

It is also often the custom in academic writing about the past (history) to use the past tense, but I use the present tense when I analyse texts that still exist. Like "Thomas More was a big dick but he had spine. In his work Bid Dickery, he argues that the pope's dick is bigger than the king's."

Thank you for your so great help. i really appreciate. it is very clear description for what i was hoping to find. now i think i can use it and practice it influencingful until it gets in my subscious. now im aware of time variance on meaning implying in the verb tense. when use it i guess like past then present perfect in same order of the sentence parts i can easier adapt to understand and follow but when mixed of non order based like that can be effortful to understand and use but i do sure i can make it well.. i so treasure your guide above.

anyway i was mean the non timely order... like

i was so happy last christmas. it could be the best i ever had been before. im quite sad for today cuz i havent recent had fun time with girls...

alright thanks for your awesome help. wish you learning for your favorite language great too, like my english lol : ))))