4 - Spiral
05. Ghost Of Karelia
06. Crack The Skye
07. The Last Baron

Disc II [Limited Edition DVD]
+ Making Of "Crack The Skye"
+ Track-By-Track Band Commentary
+ Photo Gallery

Crack the Skye, the new opus from the Atlanta, Georgia quartet is an absolutely stunning release.

The band continued the sort of 'elemental' theme that has been present in their last couple releases, Remission (Fire), Leviathan (Water, duh), and Blood Mountain (Earth). Now, with Crack the Skye, the supposed fourth element, Air is represented.

The album itself centers around the concept story of a paraplegic who engages in astral travel, who, like Icarus, passes too close to the Sun - which severs his connection with his mortal body and leaves him floating around the universe. Russian monks set in Tsarist Russia encounter this soul while using him in a divination, and after hearing of his plight, implant him in Rasputin's body? when Rasputin is slain, he can guide the lost soul back to his body.

The album is not as heavy as its predecessors, a shift which some may attribute to commercial motives. However, when one looks at other metal bands whose names begin with "M" who made a shift in their sound to appeal to the commercial audience, they did so by softening and simplifying the music. While Crack the Skye is not nearly as pummeling as Leviathan, it's certainly not simplified into radio-friendly tunes.

Mastodon somehow manage to play tunes that capture the sort of etherealness that one would expect on an album with an astral travel rooted theme, but simultaneously have a degree of density to them. There is a lot going on, yet somehow it all fits. Their evolutionary path follows the same trajectory as bands like Enslaved and Nachtmystium, which have unleashed their inner 70's prog fan and allowed it to influence their current stylings. Songs are expansive and very atmospheric - the album is not entirely digestible in one listen, each subsequent spin through the cd tray will reveal previously undiscovered pieces to the musical puzzle. It's definitely a grower.

If you have your heart set on something that sounds like Remission, you will be disappointed. If you're willing to accept a softening of the sound for sake of walking down avenues previously unexplored, you might find Crack the Skye right up your alley.

For those still interested, I'd highly recommend purchasing the special version that includes the "Making of?" DVD. It's an entertaining watch, and seeing the thought processes involved in the creation of this record will certainly deepen your appreciation of it.

Favorite Tracks - "Quintessence" (I love the heavy riff/chorus that comes slamming in) and "Crack the Skye" with the guest appearance of Neurosis' Scott Kelly and his unmistakable roar. That said, thanks to the story and flow, this album is one of those that is better listened to from start 'til finish rather than popping up from time to time on your iPod's shuffle function.

Rating breakdown
Performance: 9
Songwriting: 9
Originality: 8
Production: 9

Written on 11.04.2009 by BitterCOld has been officially reviewing albums for MetalStorm since 2009.

Comments

Comments: 64   Visited by: 653 users
11.04.2009 - 04:59
Nosurper
Stinky Lips
So thaaats why my Crack the Skye review go deleted

hah, good review though. very focused, you get everything you need to know easily. and great job describing the story. i didn't even think of taking the time to piece all of that together when i wrote it. just went after the atmosphere mostly.

anyway nice review man, and same rating too.
----
11.04.2009 - 08:40
Rating: 10
K✞ulu
Seeker of Truth
Written by Nosurper on 11.04.2009 at 04:59

hah, good review though. very focused, you get everything you need to know easily. and great job describing the story. i didn't even think of taking the time to piece all of that together when i wrote it. just went after the atmosphere mostly.

you review got deleted because three months have to pass after the release to be reviewed by a guest reviewer (gosh, what a boring person I am). Well, as far as the album, it's indeed a grower and should be listened to through the best equipment you got - no earplugs and riding the public transport kind of album. Needs a lot of concentration really; however, I find it a bit repetitive at times. What I really liked is the solo on The Czar - beautiful. Oh, and one more thing to point is that the production is just flawless.

And I liked the review and agree on most point, including the one about going commercial.
----
Savor what you feel and what you see
Things that may not seem important now
But may be tomorrow

R.I.P. Chuck Schuldiner

Satan was a Backstreet Boy
11.04.2009 - 09:09
The Thrasher
Account deleted
I love this album i think it is a classic already!
11.04.2009 - 09:09
Sellathurai

Uhm I'm pretty sure "Air" isn't the element represented in this album,
They mentioned the fifth element "Ether" in the dvd
Also I dislike how people are saying this album is commercial, but also is a grower
Those two ideas seem to conflict with each other
----
On The Wings of Euphoria...
11.04.2009 - 09:14
Rating: 9
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
Written by Sellathurai on 11.04.2009 at 09:09

Uhm I'm pretty sure "Air" isn't the element represented in this album,
They mentioned the fifth element "Ether" in the dvd
Also I dislike how people are saying this album is commercial, but also is a grower
Those two ideas seem to conflict with each other

i am pretty sure you are wrong.

Ether is indeed mentioned in the video, but not as the element this album is based around, but rather the "5th Element"... i would have thought "Sky(e)" in the title would have been a big enough clue, if not the airy/spacey approach to song construction.

I believe Brann, who mentioned Ether in the dvd also mentioned the traditional elements - Air, Water, Earth, Fire - so does that make this their "Captain Planet" album?
----
get the fuck off my lawn.

Beer Bug Virus Spotify Playlist crafted by Nikarg and I. Feel free to tune in and add some pertinent metal tunes!
11.04.2009 - 09:58
pazuzuovbabel
Pazuzu
Great review for the Greatest release of this year so farrr....

and about the element...i still remember that i read its about ether and not air, and that they made like this just as an exception of the logical sequence "Air"...

anyway, it dosent mater,,,,its a masterpiece what ever it was about
11.04.2009 - 11:30
Black_Handed
A village idiot
It is indeed a pretty good album. it seems that the guyz still know what theyre doing P.

anyways: no one noticed that vocals sound a little like ozzy? much more than on previous albums (where i wouldnt make that kind of connection) and with that little difference that mastodon guyz actually CAN sing, even though its not anything jaw dropping, of course.
----

Cryptic Bleak Smurf of Ur
11.04.2009 - 11:33
Deadmeat
Necrobutcher
Quote:
other metal bands whose names begin with "M" who made a shift in their sound to appeal to the commercial audience
i don't see the reason why in a review of mastodon should metallica's actions blamed. i dont like what they ve done either but it's irrelevant with the issue of the review..
----
Υou've sold your human essence to the cold world of dead and empty things... You're SOLD!
11.04.2009 - 14:09
Spyroid
Rosetta Stoned
I'm definately checking this album out on spotify now.
11.04.2009 - 14:32
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
As element fire was actually quite prominent on their debut (and still imo best and most innovative) album "Remission" just look at the burning horse on the cover, and songtitles such as "March of the fire ants" and "burning man"

Although this album is a grower, I agree there, I find it their least best. It lacks a certain punch and bite which all of the others did possess and it seems like they aren't pushing the musical envelope as much as they used to.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

11.04.2009 - 14:33
Spyroid
Rosetta Stoned
Okay, I'm halfway through and it's possibly the best Mastodon album, definately not a grower... or well, atleast I already love it! and I agree about the Ozzy references on the vocals.
11.04.2009 - 15:35
Marfere

Okay that was a nice review actually. It's really hard to review this album, considering the new label, softened sound and all things that has happened around this band at the time before this release. But I thing you pulled it off really good.

One thing you could've mentioned though, is Brent Hinds injury and how the sound on this album was affected by this.
11.04.2009 - 15:42
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Written by Marfere on 11.04.2009 at 15:35

Okay that was a nice review actually. It's really hard to review this album, considering the new label, .

Mmm, this one is released on the exact same label as Blood Mountain.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

11.04.2009 - 16:03
Passenger
Lost To Apathy
Yes, it is awesome.
----
You don't make up for your sins in church. You do it in the streets. You do it at home. The rest is bullshit and you know it ~ Mean Streets
11.04.2009 - 16:03
Marfere

Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 11.04.2009 at 15:42

Written by Marfere on 11.04.2009 at 15:35

Okay that was a nice review actually. It's really hard to review this album, considering the new label, .

Mmm, this one is released on the exact same label as Blood Mountain.

Oh, sry I meant producer O'Brien ofcoure!
11.04.2009 - 17:24
Silent Jay

The element theme is 'Ether' and not 'Air'. Wonder what they will do after the next album and run out of elements....
11.04.2009 - 17:27
Black_Handed
A village idiot
Invent some new ones?
----

Cryptic Bleak Smurf of Ur
11.04.2009 - 17:29
Sellathurai

Http://www.roadrunnerrecords.com/BLABBERMOUTH.net/news.aspx?mode=Article&newsitemID=113220
----
On The Wings of Euphoria...
11.04.2009 - 20:18
RockeRoy

Fantastic album it just keep getting better and better each time i listen to it, Amaizing. Good review
----
You found god? If nobody claims him in thirty days, he's yours

Walk with me in hell
11.04.2009 - 20:19
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
I stand corrected, will amend the review.
----
get the fuck off my lawn.

Beer Bug Virus Spotify Playlist crafted by Nikarg and I. Feel free to tune in and add some pertinent metal tunes!
11.04.2009 - 20:32
Dane Train
Beers & Kilts
Written by Silent Jay on 11.04.2009 at 17:24
Wonder what they will do after the next album and run out of elements....

ANSWER:
----
(space for rent)
11.04.2009 - 21:01
Paradox0
Unasuming Madnes
Written by Dane Train on 11.04.2009 at 20:32

Written by Silent Jay on 11.04.2009 at 17:24
Wonder what they will do after the next album and run out of elements....

ANSWER:

Well the next album will suck by this logic. Everyone knows heart is the lamest power ever (aside from controlling monkeys that is)
11.04.2009 - 22:49
Rating: 8
ylside

What a great album this is !
12.04.2009 - 00:31
-DC-002-
Mastercommander
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 11.04.2009 at 14:32

As element fire was actually quite prominent on their debut (and still imo best and most innovative) album "Remission" just look at the burning horse on the cover, and songtitles such as "March of the fire ants" and "burning man"

Although this album is a grower, I agree there, I find it their least best. It lacks a certain punch and bite which all of the others did possess and it seems like they aren't pushing the musical envelope as much as they used to.

I agree. The songs are all good when you get to know them but they all just kind of, fade away. As you said, there isn't much bite and nothing REALLY sticks. They are trying a new sound out. If they don't go in another direction in the next album, which would be a good choice. They could really fine tune the sound on Crack the Skye.
----
Coldgrits
12.04.2009 - 03:23
Nosurper
Stinky Lips
Written by K✞ulu on 11.04.2009 at 08:40

you review got deleted because three months have to pass after the release to be reviewed by a guest reviewer (gosh, what a boring person I am). Well, as far as the album, it's indeed a grower and should be listened to through the best equipment you got - no earplugs and riding the public transport kind of album. Needs a lot of concentration really; however, I find it a bit repetitive at times. What I really liked is the solo on The Czar - beautiful. Oh, and one more thing to point is that the production is just flawless.

And I liked the review and agree on most point, including the one about going commercial.

im glad you enjoy my shoutbox comments, it seems you have quite the memory

and i did know that it takes three months, thanks to the reply i received after posting the review. winking smiley?.. eh 'sall good though.

once again, good review!
----
12.04.2009 - 03:24
Fat & Sassy!

Uhm I'm pretty sure "Air" isn't the element represented in this album...

I thought the "Fifth Element" was love. Bruce Willis may disagree...
12.04.2009 - 11:26
Valentin B
Iconoclast
Written by Fat & Sassy! on 12.04.2009 at 03:24

the fifth element is GUNS, LOTS OF GUNS

now looking at the concept story i have to say this sounds really interesting, might gonna check this out(though if it does have as many weird riffs and time signatures like Leviathan i don't know if i'll like it that much)
12.04.2009 - 12:10
K✞ulu
Seeker of Truth
Written by Nosurper on 12.04.2009 at 03:23

Written by K✞ulu on 11.04.2009 at 08:40

im glad you enjoy my shoutbox comments, it seems you have quite the memory

and i did know that it takes three months, thanks to the reply i received after posting the review. winking smiley?.. eh 'sall good though.

once again, good review!

actually I don't know anything about the shoutbox... I was operating with the fact from your post
----
Savor what you feel and what you see
Things that may not seem important now
But may be tomorrow

R.I.P. Chuck Schuldiner

Satan was a Backstreet Boy
12.04.2009 - 20:13
Nosurper
Stinky Lips
----
12.04.2009 - 21:10
Dane Train
Beers & Kilts
Written by Fat & Sassy! on 12.04.2009 at 03:24

Multipass!
----
(space for rent)

Hits total: 15837 | This month: 20