Metal Storm logo
Cradle Of Filth - The Principle Of Evil Made Flesh review

Reviewer:

515 users:
Band: Cradle Of Filth
Album: The Principle Of Evil Made Flesh
Release date: February 1994

01. Darkness Our Bride (Jugular Wedding)
02. The Principle Of Evil Made Flesh
03. The Forest Whispers My Name
04. Iscariot
05. The Black Goddess Rises
06. One Final Graven Kiss
07. A Crescendo Of Passion Bleeding
08. To Eve The Art Of Witchcraft
09. Of Mist And Midnight Skies
10. In Secret Love We Drown
11. A Dream Of Wolves In The Snow
12. Summer Dying Fast
13. Imperium Tenebrarum

Everyone knows about the great Cradle of Filth, yet many don't like them. Don't know why. Some can't stand their vocalist, Dani Filth, and others have only heard the recent, commercialized albums (Nymphetamine, and that abomination Thornography). Anyway, I am not here to discuss that. Personaly, they are my all-time favourite band, and this album is a show of Dani Filth's musical mastermind!

This is definitly their most "hardcore" album, and I would agree with the "Symphonic Black Metal" category. This album has everthing from hard, black metal riffs and horrifying vocals to great symphonic instruments, perfect guitar solos and soft female voclas. Don't think that all of that was just thrown in there, no, everything fits in more than perfectly (for a full example of what I am talking about, listen to the song "To Eve the Art of Witchcraft"). The drumming is.... well it's... I can't find a good enough word for how freakin' amaizing it is! All of this creates one hell of a dark and aggresive atmosphere. Dani's vocals are quite unusual compared to all of other Cradle of Filth's albums. About 70% of them are mid-pitched growls, and while there are still some high-shrieked screams common to the other albums, it sort of bugs me because I'm much more used to Dani's characteristical screaming. But, that's a matter of taste.

Unfortunately, even this masterpiece has some flaws. First off, it's the production, the deffinite weakspot of this album. This makes the sound sort of quiet, like you are hearing it from a distance. Next, we have a few songs whose long parts (1-2 even 3 minutes) are pointlesly slow (Of Mist and Midnight Skies, for example). And lastly, we have song length. This is a matter of taste, though, but even I am sometimes uncomfortable with them lasting mostly way over 5 minutes.But, at other times, that's just a reason more to love this album!

Anyway, if you are looking for some great dark, fast music look no further than this masterpice! There is a reason why Cradle of Filth are called "lords of extreme metal" and a good part of that reason lies in this album. Unfortunatley, I don't think they will ever make this kind of a masterpiece again."Cruelty and The Beast" is close, but not enough.

BEST SONGS: "To Eve the Art of Witchcraft," "The Principale of Evil Made Flesh," "Hallowed be Thy Name (Shallow be My Grave)," "The Fores Whispers My Name"

Rating breakdown
Performance: 10
Songwriting: 10
Originality: 10
Production: 8

Written by Slayer666 | 08.01.2009

Guest review disclaimer:
This is a guest review, which means it does not necessarily represent the point of view of the MS Staff.

Comments

Comments: 20   Visited by: 165 users
13.04.2009 - 01:55
Rating: 7
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
I really like the first stuff by Cof... But 9,2 is just way to much from me. If I have to be as objective as I can I would give the album something around a 8,0 or actually around 7,5 because for the first time I really hate the production... It fucked most of the good parts.

And that's why I disagree with the last part of your review. "Dusk..." and "Cruelty..." kick this album ass [and the other ones as well] every day.
But it's still something wqorth to buy algo with the other two albums I already said. But that's just a matter of tastes.

...And I never heard the words "lords of extreme metal".
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29
Like you could kiss my ass
Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.
15.04.2009 - 13:31
Rating: 10
Slayer666

Quote:
Quote:

I really like the first stuff by Cof... But 9,2 is just way to much from me. If I have to be as objective as I can I would give the album something around a 8,0 or actually around 7,5 because for the first time I really hate the production... It fucked most of the good parts.

Aye, totally agree with production comment. They did, however, re-record 3 tracks on Bitter Suiles The Succubi". Man, that kicks ass!
9.2 is, if you ask me, even to small grade, but I had to bring it down because of the production. IMO, it deserves a pure 10.

[qoute]

...And I never heard the words "lords of extreme metal".

Then you haven't been very throughout in your search.
15.04.2009 - 22:19
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Written by Slayer666 on 15.04.2009 at 13:31

Then you haven't been very throughout in your search.

Probably... I just don't use to read comments in youtube by fan-boys saying that Dani is the ultime shit.
____

But hey, the album is good... And the profuction is actually good BUT like you wrote... It sounds like I'm hearing the music from my neighbour's house. It could have been 10 times better if it was louder.

If I was to give it my own rate... It would be something like:
Performance: 8
Songwriting: 9
Originality: 10
Production: 6
/4 gives around 8,2 and that would be my opinion of course.
----
Rod, let me love you.
21.04.2009 - 16:07
Uirapuru
Liver Failure
Boring. I mean, of course, there are good riffs, fast drums, ok vocals, etc. But there is no feeling, no harmony, no emotion, we just sit down and listen to superficial sounds without meaning.

And it's not even brutal, bunch of guys trying to play music. ''The Principle Of Evil Made Flesh'' is a fine example of an album without a soul.
----

----
member of the true crusade against old school heavy metal, early 80s thrash, NWOBHM, traditional doom, first and second wave black metal, old school death metal, US power metal, 70s prog rock and atmospheric doomsludgestoner. o/
06.07.2009 - 18:12
Haddonfield
Chucky's Bride
Written by Guest on 06.07.2009 at 16:35

I don't know why the production of this record is raised to be a problem. Now it sounds harsh and kinda unique. Are some of these songs really better on Bitter Suites To Succubi?

I wouldn't say better, just different. The production is more crisp offering a cleaner rendition of the instruments and the tempo is also raised a little.
----

"Seasons don't fear the reaper. Nor do the wind, the sun and the rain (we can be like they are)."
07.07.2009 - 00:25
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Written by Uirapuru on 21.04.2009 at 16:07

Boring. I mean, of course, there are good riffs, fast drums, ok vocals, etc. But there is no feeling, no harmony, no emotion, we just sit down and listen to superficial sounds without meaning.

And it's not even brutal, bunch of guys trying to play music. ''The Principle Of Evil Made Flesh'' is a fine example of an album without a soul.

That's exactly how I feel about this album... There's nothing worse than an album with great musicanship but just without feeling.
----
Rod, let me love you.
07.07.2009 - 21:18
Slayer666

Written by X-Ray Rod on 07.07.2009 at 00:25

Written by Uirapuru on 21.04.2009 at 16:07

That's exactly how I feel about this album... There's nothing worse than an album with great musicanship but just without feeling.

Without feeling? There is only one word that comes to my mind when I read this, and it mildly defies the deffinition of a "word". And it's "ungh"...
08.07.2009 - 03:39
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Written by Slayer666 on 07.07.2009 at 21:18

Without feeling? There is only one word that comes to my mind when I read this, and it mildly defies the deffinition of a "word". And it's "ungh"...

Oh... I'm really sorry that I disagree with you, are you ok with that?

But what can I do? Last time I checked I had the right to my own opinion.
For me the production sucks, and don't go with the classic "it has to be raw, it's black" because I DO enjoy raw production but this one was done bad imo, the sound is like if my friend is playing the cd in the next room so I have to scream to him to turn the volume up... The vocals aren't even half as good as they were in the next album. Yeah, those high-pitched screams are there and those do sound amazing. But the more "normal" vocals that he did in this album were just meh, like he tried to much.

People are "ungh" when they say that something is bad without saying why, but I have a clear thought about why I think this album is just worth a 7 [and that's not even a bad score...]
----
Rod, let me love you.
08.07.2009 - 11:17
Slayer666

Quote:

Oh... I'm really sorry that I disagree with you, are you ok with that?

Quite a smart-ass, aren't you?
Quote:

People are "ungh" when they say that something is bad without saying why, but I have a clear thought about why I think this album is just worth a 7 [and that's not even a bad score...]

If I do tell you why, this is going to turn into one long, dry, boring, perfectly useless disscusion. Better leave it this way.
08.07.2009 - 14:02
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Written by Slayer666 on 08.07.2009 at 11:17

If I do tell you why, this is going to turn into one long, dry, boring, perfectly useless disscusion. Better leave it this way.

LOL, at least we agree on something, although I still don't see why isn't ok to do the old "agree to disagree"

Yeah, we leave it this way, no hard feelings though
----
Rod, let me love you.
15.01.2010 - 22:57
Rating: 8
Brogkul

This is a great album, true the production sucks but I´ve heard worse. It´s a classic for me with powerfull songs and beautiful instrumentals. "Summer Dying Fast" is one of my favorite CoF songs.
I had hear "Dusk" and "VEmpire" before this one, and I wasn´t disappointed at all.
----
"The Sly One"
13.04.2010 - 21:25
Vonpire

Principle of Evil Made Flesh --- One of greatest albuns ever!
----
Beware the Shadows of Dusk
19.07.2010 - 15:24
Andresopeth

I agree with all of you, production sucks, and i also think that the album lacks of soul, i mean it is well writen and the music is well composed but you sit down and listen to it and you feel something is missing. In my humble opinion i would give this album a 7.5, Summer Dying Fast is a great song
03.09.2010 - 01:10
Rating: 8
Eldritch Truth

You mentioned "Hallowed Be Thy Name (Shallow Be Thy Grave)" as one of the best songs on the album, but it's not on Principle... at least not my version. I know that track is on the second disc of the "Cruelty and the Beast" special edition as well as "Lovecraft and Witchhearts." Just thought I'd mention it.
16.09.2010 - 12:28
Slayer666

Written by Eldritch Truth on 03.09.2010 at 01:10

You mentioned "Hallowed Be Thy Name (Shallow Be Thy Grave)" as one of the best songs on the album, but it's not on Principle... at least not my version. I know that track is on the second disc of the "Cruelty and the Beast" special edition as well as "Lovecraft and Witchhearts." Just thought I'd mention it.

Yes, I wonder how nobody noticed that mistake before.
I got this CD from a friend of mine, who Burned the album from his Hard Drive. Apparently, he put that cover on the CD as well, and I didn't pay that much attention to it, as I thought the song actually was on "Principle".
Shit happens.
05.01.2011 - 20:39
Vonpire

When i read the comments of "album without soul" just makes me laugh! The best thing of this album is exactly the soul of it! You guys probably didn't saw cof "born" as i did, if you did no one would ever say that "heresy"
----
Beware the Shadows of Dusk
23.08.2012 - 15:16
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
^ Hah, didn't see this post back then. What a joke.

I might have been harsh with the soul part... but this is still 7-ish stuff at most for me but of course my opinion is shit because I'm young or something instead of just saying "I disagree". My main problem is still the production... so damn quiet guitars. I really dig the drums though.
----
Rod, let me love you.
24.10.2016 - 02:21
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
I hate Kind Diamond and his vocals , like 70's screaming girls what saw Cheap Trick on concert ,,, same Dani, his voice are horrible
----
Life is to short for LOVE, there is many great things to do online !!!

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
24.10.2016 - 02:30
Karlabos
Meat and Potatos
This whole "album lacks the soul" talk is reminding me of that comment on a certain album...
----
"Aah! The cat turned into a cat!"
- Reimu Hakurei
12.10.2021 - 12:30
Redhand13

This album is perfection personified. It could not get any better for a Cradle of Filth fan like myself.
----

Hits total: 8457 | This month: 20