King of the Grey Islands
Tales of Creation
Chapter VI
Candlemass

Total votes: 40
14.04.2009 - 10:08
Dangerboner
Lactation Cnslt
After thinking for a bit, I went for the obvious choice - Epicus Doomicus Metallicus. The only problem I have with that album is after seeing Rob Lowe perform one of my favorite songs live, Crystal Ball, every time I hear it on that album all I can think about is how he made it even better with his voice. Anyways, that album only has six songs with only six string guitars, but somehow they managed to still make it heavy as fuck. It's not an obvious winner for me though - Nightfall and King of the Grey Islands are very close on my list.

1. Epicus Doomicus Metallicus
2. Nightfall
3. King of the Grey Islands
4. Tales of Creation
5. Candlemass
6. Death Magic Doom
7. Ancient Dreams (so overrated... hell, even the band doesn't like this album)

I'm sure everyone will vote for Epicus Doomicus Metallicus and Nightfall, but I still felt like making this poll anyways.
14.04.2009 - 10:39
ToMegaTherion

I don't know if i could fairly vote on this thread just yet as i have only heard two of their album. Thus far King of the Gray Islands is a favorite and indeed one of my favorite albums of all. But they are new too my collection thus i will reserve my vote until a later date when i have heard enough to comment fairly
14.04.2009 - 12:58
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
1. (tied) Epicus Doomicus Metallicus & Nightfall

3. Death Magic Doom
4. King Of The Grey Islands
5. Ancient Dreams
6. From The 13th Sun.
7. Tales Of Creation
8. Dactylus Glomerate
9. Candlemass
10. Chapter VI

I really really really cannot vote between Epicus & Nightfall.

I don't know where you got the idea the band doesn't like Ancient Dreams because when you read liner notes to Dactylus Glomerata and Chapter VI you will see they think those two are their worst albums by far.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

14.04.2009 - 13:03
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
For me I cant choose Epics vs Nightfall, because both are good albums, also I lile Death Magic Doom, and almoust ewery album from band, but if I need pic up fav its Epicus vs Nightfall vs Death
But I vote for Epicus because its firts album and I know it more how other, maybe if this poll be opened after 2 years I vote for Death , because cnt vote for album what I have hear 4 times even I like it werry much
----
Life is to short for LOVE, there is many great things to do online !!!

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
14.04.2009 - 21:48
Dangerboner
Lactation Cnslt
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 14.04.2009 at 12:58

I don't know where you got the idea the band doesn't like Ancient Dreams because when you read liner notes to Dactylus Glomerata and Chapter VI you will see they think those two are their worst albums by far.

About a year or two ago I read on their official website that the band was unhappy with Ancient Dreams because they were too rushed. Here is what they said:

Quote:
A hard task and a difficult record to make. Maybe it was the sound that refused to follow the plans and blueprints of Candlemass, maybe it just was done too soon after the enormous impact of "Nightfall". The band had to get a record out fast to ride on the success of the predecessor. Music history is full of failed rush releases and unfortunately Candlemass fell in the same trap.

I can't listen to this album, says Leif

They go further in depth about it here.

But yeah, I think everyone agrees that Dactylus Glomerata, Chapter VI, and From the 13th Sun are by far their worst.
14.04.2009 - 23:12
-Soulreaper-

I went with Epicus as well. Just all 6 songs on it are brilliant. Epicus is actually the only CD my wife has in her car right now and shes had it in their for about 2 months and she listens to it non-stop. But I find it easier to listen to that album over and over apposed to the other ones. Dont get me wrong though, Nightfall, Ancient Dreams, Tales of Creation and King of the Grey Islands are extraordinary albums but I find my self listening to Epicus the most.
15.04.2009 - 02:54
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
Had to go with "Nightfall" for this one, I really love the album, particularly "At The Gallows End" and "Well of Souls."

i cannot wait for the new one to be released Stateside.
----
get the fuck off my lawn.

Beer Bug Virus Spotify Playlist crafted by Nikarg and I. Feel free to tune in and add some pertinent metal tunes!
15.04.2009 - 14:06
Powerslavex
Alexskywalker
My favorite is Epicus Doomicus Metallicus nightfall is also a great album
15.04.2009 - 14:17
ForeverDarkWoods

I had to go with Nightfall. It's just so damn epic, dark and gloomy that it's unparallelled by anything in the epic doom genre except for maybe some Solitude Aeturnus and Solstice.
----
Free nations are peaceful nations. Free nations don't attack each other. Free nations don't develop weapons of mass destruction!
- George W. Bush, ex-president of the United States of America
02.05.2009 - 01:21
Stigmatized
Nightfall for me. It was the first Candlemass album I heard. The two newest with Rob Lowe on vocals are amazing, but I love Messiah's performance on Nightfall. Not to mention every song is catchy as hell. I also enjoy "Tales of Creation", but I seem to be one of few.
12.06.2009 - 23:29
Valentin B
Iconoclast
This is such a joke poll haven't listened to all of them but when i do i still think "you know which" album will still be on top. it's the one that ends in "-icus"
16.07.2009 - 21:15
Ankläger

From The 13th Sun
I hate Messiah; he doesn't fit the music and "classic" Candlemass was all about him.
They've remedied that finally with Lowe. Who I really like.
But their late 90's "stoner/Sabbath knockoff" stuff is by far (imo) their most original. Well, Edling's most original.
21.07.2009 - 23:55
Saitenhexerin

Nightfall

I love the atmosphere, the sounds, the songwriting and it is really great album!
----
- When I die, bury me in smoke.
- Defendress of the Faith.
22.07.2009 - 13:15
Dangerboner
Lactation Cnslt
Written by Valentin B on 12.06.2009 at 23:29

This is such a joke poll haven't listened to all of them but when i do i still think "you know which" album will still be on top. it's the one that ends in "-icus"

No, it's not. How many Candlemass albums have you heard?
22.07.2009 - 13:26
Elio
Red Nightmare
Either that of Nightfall will win. I have to listen all their discography too, but I have heard great things about those two and I know some songs that are wonderful.
----
IntoPlighT said: "Slipknot is 15 years old how the fuck is that Nu metal?"

BEST. QUOTE. EVER.
23.07.2009 - 18:18
TheOwl

All (and I do mean all!) Candlemass albums have a place in my heart! I will just vote for Ancient Dreams because it was the first album I ever heard!
04.04.2010 - 09:44
JohnWayneGacy666

Epicus Doomicus Metallicus is my choice Demons gate and under the oak are a couple of the most heavy doom metal songs i've heard good band