Metal Storm logo
What do you learn from playing Coversongs?

Original post

Posted by RockeRoy, 17.04.2009 - 23:45
I focus moast of my practicing schedule on technique exercises, theory and making my own music, but i also love playing coversongs and do that for an hour at the end of each practice session just becasue it's fun. My problem is that i don't exactly know what i learn from playing coversongs, i know i get inspired by playing coversongs, but i also get inspired by making music my self and practicing technique.
I try to pick coversongs from bands like F.eks Dream Theater and Opeth because i belive i will get a lot of Rythm training and also technique.
it is when i play songs by band like f.eks Bloodbath, Lamb of god, Sepultura and Gojira i feel a little guilty i guess, becasue i could use the time practicing techniques or theory insted, because that is what makes me a better guitar player.
This is just the thoughts i get when i maybe end the practice session a little early to play some coversongs insted:)
I understand ofcourse that it is not a completely waste of time, and i think i will continue playing Coversongs, i am just interested in hearing your experiences and thoughts about this.

Rock on:)
01.05.2009 - 00:13
Smurfophagist

Quote:
Written by RockeRoy on 01.05.2009 at 00:08

Written by Smurfophagist on 01.05.2009 at 00:02

Written by RockeRoy on 30.04.2009 at 23:59

You can say whatever you want.
Find me someone who listens to buckethead and isn't a guitar player himself who is fascinated by his technique. Find me someone who likes Buckethead's songs because he likes their sound and not the frets he hits. It's a tough assignment.

well i don't think there is so many people that don't play guitar that listen to buckethead , but i am sure there are many guitarplayers that listens to Buckethead because they like his sound to.

I don't think so. they might assure you they like it because it moves them, but it's really technique that got them into that. I think you also know that is the case.

Okay so you say you like Burzum because his music realy moves you? not because it is kind of cool to say that you are a burzum fan and because he is so legendary and have done all this crazy things???

Where I live there is nothing cool about saying that you like Burzum. Around here people think it is a type of food. In my town I know exactly three other people who listen to Burzum.
----
Having a signature is an absolute must.
01.05.2009 - 00:32
RockeRoy

Quote:
Written by Smurfophagist on 01.05.2009 at 00:13

Find me someone who listens to buckethead and isn't a guitar player himself who is fascinated by his technique. Find me someone who likes Buckethead's songs because he likes their sound and not the frets he hits. It's a tough assignment.

well i don't think there is so many people that don't play guitar that listen to buckethead , but i am sure there are many guitarplayers that listens to Buckethead because they like his sound to.

I don't think so. they might assure you they like it because it moves them, but it's really technique that got them into that. I think you also know that is the case.

Okay so you say you like Burzum because his music realy moves you? not because it is kind of cool to say that you are a burzum fan and because he is so legendary and have done all this crazy things???

Where I live there is nothing cool about saying that you like Burzum. Around here people think it is a type of food. In my town I know exactly three other people who listen to Burzum.

Well you don't need anyone else but your self to say that it is cool, and three is more than enough, but that was not my point, i was somewhat ironical when i said that. I know a few who are passionate about Burzums music, but who complitly are against all the stupid shit he have done. So my point is that even though it is common thinking to think that Burzum fans are fans becasue it's cool or becasue of his legend, that is not the truth in every cases, just like your statment about Buckethead fans
----
You found god? If nobody claims him in thirty days, he's yours

Walk with me in hell
01.05.2009 - 00:52
Smurfophagist

Quote:
Written by RockeRoy on 01.05.2009 at 00:32

Well you don't need anyone else but your self to say that it is cool, and three is more than enough, but that was not my point, i was somewhat ironical when i said that. I know a few who are passionate about Burzums music, but who complitly are against all the stupid shit he have done. So my point is that even though it is common thinking to think that Burzum fans are fans becasue it's cool or becasue of his legend, that is not the truth in every cases, just like your statment about Buckethead fans

Wait, so you think I'm stupid enough to think that murder is ok and tr00. Wow you have shown me an entire new dimension of how to speak to someone in a condescending tone.
----
01.05.2009 - 01:13
RockeRoy

Quote:
Written by Smurfophagist on 01.05.2009 at 00:52

Written by RockeRoy on 01.05.2009 at 00:32

Wait, so you think I'm stupid enough to think that murder is ok and tr00. Wow you have shown me an entire new dimension of how to speak to someone in a condescending tone.

It was exactly that i didn't mean, what i was saying is that even though it is common for alot of people to think about bruzum fans that way i don't, i can belive that you like his music, but i don't know. When you said that about buckedhead fans you talk like you know that they are making up this lies about that they like his music, but their dirty little secret is that they just like his technique.
i am not condescending, but i am starting to find it difficult not to be becasue if it is someone who is condescending here it is you. anyway.. we are so of topic, and i would like to discuss further with you about the topic, but not like this... i like serious discussions.
----

Walk with me in hell
01.05.2009 - 11:30
Smurfophagist

What makes you think I never listened to Buckethead myself. Maybe that's how I know.
----
01.05.2009 - 15:20
RockeRoy

Written by Smurfophagist on 01.05.2009 at 11:30

What makes you think I never listened to Buckethead myself. Maybe that's how I know.

i actually asume you have listen to buckethead, if not it would just be stupid of you to talk shit about something you haven't heard.
And even if you have been listening to buckethead and tell people you listen to him because you like his music doesn't mean that everybody else does that
----

Walk with me in hell
01.05.2009 - 18:59
Smurfophagist

Written by RockeRoy on 01.05.2009 at 15:20

Written by Smurfophagist on 01.05.2009 at 11:30

i actually asume you have listen to buckethead, if not it would just be stupid of you to talk shit about something you haven't heard.
And even if you have been listening to buckethead and tell people you listen to him because you like his music doesn't mean that everybody else does that

Well i listened to him because I was obsessed with technique at the time. And I knew like ten other young guitar players who were in the exact same position.
----
10.06.2009 - 13:39
terrorist

The best way to practice and learn some patterns that you can use in your own songs.It works for me just fine.I am not a fan of learnig guitar by some book or anything.It is more better (for me) to play free than be limited by usual knowledge.
----
Will the ones who live after our end
Worship the goddamn cross again?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hnlG0h7YN_8&feature=related
14.06.2009 - 16:49
Deadmeat
Necrobutcher
Well if i were you the only reason why i'd cover a band was in order to become a better player. you know, i'd cover only songs with better technique than i had at the moment. imo it is completely wrong to cover bands in order to make your inspiration better/higher. cause then you'll become a man withh 1000 diferent bands on his mind and you'll not focus on writing music coming out from you but you'll try to write music coming out from your influences...
----
Υou've sold your human essence to the cold world of dead and empty things... You're SOLD!
29.08.2009 - 13:53
Entropic Silence

Firstly I think everyone who did not quote the insanely massive block of text from the last page deserves either a community point or a chocolate bar for beign a good person.
If you are tabbing songs yourself, you are improving your aural skills, which is an area of music that guitarists in particular seem to suck at (I generall get 4/10 for ear tests, when the marker is very generous).
I'm a fan of covering for enjoyment, and I do think it makes you a better musician. If you hear a lick you like, you can learn to play it, work it into a solo or something when you are jamming around, them mess with it. Change key, add a note or two in, pretty soon it will sound completely unique. Now you have something that you can play when you are improvising, or writing your own stuff. It sounds like a travesty, but that was one of the first things I was taught about improvising - steal as much as you can.
Also handy for when you are at a mate's place and someone throws a guitar at you. Lamb of God can work especially well for that.
----
VICTORY!!!!! (They love it in France)