03. Heading For Decapitation
04. Dragged Through The Mud
05. Coffins Of The Unembalmed Dead
06. A Morbid Mind
07. Reduced To Ashes
08. Christ All Fucking Mighty
09. Flabby Little Things From Beyond
10. Cthulhu Fhtagn!

Even Death Metallers can be emotional. Of course their most vital and common emotions are anger and agression, but they are also capable of another emotion: nostalgia. At least, the Swedish Death Breath is capable of that feeling. All they care about is reliving the days of pure Old School Death Metal, and seem to be doing anything to bring those days back.

As such, they live, eat, drink, breathe and poop the Old School. "Stinking Up The Night", their very first album, is no less than thirty-three minutes of paying homage to the old heroes. Death Metal done as they did in the eighties, so not the superbrutal and overproduced stuff that is now common and every day business, but a thrashing, raw and dirty monstrosity. Entombed is a primary influence, pretty much all of the Swedish masters are, but a couple of Slayeresque riffs and a punkish attitude also seep through. Add some zombie themes to that and you've got yourself a putrid pile of a rotting, obscene album. Bang your head along to the infectious tunes of "Heading For Decapitation" or "Chopping Spree", their choruses are bound to stick in your head until the dawn of the dead. This stuff is also perfect for a good night of beer drinking and savage parties.

If you know what Swedish Death Metal stands for, you already know exactly what this sounds like. That being said, I will waste no more words on describing this review, except these: that what is done, is done good. That should be enough for you to decide if this album is worth your time.

Rating breakdown
Performance: 8
Songwriting: 8
Originality: 7
Production: 7

Written on 09.03.2008 by If you're interested in extreme, often emotional and underground music, check out my reviews. I retired from reviewing, but I really used to be into that stuff.

Comments

Comments: 3   Visited by: 44 users
23.04.2009 - 17:01
Ereinion
Account deleted
You have forgotten to say that this album has some great guest appearances like Scott Carlson(Vocals on 2, 5 & 8) and Jorgen Sandstrom(Vocals on 3, 6 & 9)

killer album cannot wait to hear more from this band
22.10.2009 - 13:41
treptolemus
aphotic_zoning
The cover artwork is funny - Maybe it is the situation after the party, the next morning you wake up and you have this killing "death breath". Need to brush your teeth immediately after that? lol!
----
\m/etalstor\m/
29.12.2010 - 21:52
Rating: 9
Meller
Sleazy Rider
"Entombed is a primary influence..."
Damn straight it's primary influence, since the man behind Death Breath, Nicke Andersson, is one of the founding members of Entombed! And like Ereinion pointed out, the guests are from the same vein of founders of this sound and style. This album is really near perfect, sounding as it should. Some things are done better the old way, as this album proves. (Among some others.)
Like I always say: screw originality, if originality means that you have to compromise the soul and heart of the music. And this stuff has SOUL and HEART - putrid, ominous and downright dangerous ones - as it should be.

I'm glad I've finally come around to purchase this album, since I remember the vibes it caused when I first heard it at some party with my friends. Took me few years to get back to it, I'm damn happy I did, and now I can't wait for the up and coming sophomore full length for the next year. Keep on stinking!
----
"Haloo? ...Mulla on sellainen tunne, ett' mä olen surmannut miehen."

Hits total: 5711 | This month: 8