Metal Storm logo
Stratovarius - New Video Available

"Deep Unknown", the new video from Stratovarius has been released.

"Deep Unknown" will appear on the forthcoming Stratovarius album, "Polaris". "Polaris" will be available in Europe on May 21 via the band's new label partner Edel under the new imprint earMUSIC outside of Asia and the band's longtime record company in Asia, JVC

Source: metalfromfinland.com
Band profile: Stratovarius
Posted: 24.04.2009 by Bad English

Comments

‹‹ Back to News
Comments: 17   [ 2 ignored ]   Visited by: 83 users
24.04.2009 - 14:05
Lord_Regnier

Only average Powermetal, nothing more.

And kotipelto's vocals get on my nerves as usual. I had no trouble with him when I was a big PM fan a decade ago but now I can't stand him.

I know there is some fuss around the new Strato album, some people are very excited about it. But I won't buy it. What I heard until now leaves me totally indifferent.
----
"Why would we fear death, when life is so much more frightening?"
24.04.2009 - 16:01
Zmaj Ognjeni Vuk
To Mega Therion
Uh, I get the 'This video was removed by the user." message.
----

Opinions are like assholes, everybody has one, and they all stink.
24.04.2009 - 17:27
iMorphball

It's pretty good, but not AMAZING.
24.04.2009 - 17:46
Zmaj Ognjeni Vuk
To Mega Therion
Working now...What's up with all the lights in the video? Can't see anything.
The song's average too.
----

Opinions are like assholes, everybody has one, and they all stink.
25.04.2009 - 01:47
Shadowcross
The Summoner
Yeah that message was coming up, i tried to submit this news last week but the band must have put a hold on it till Friday the 24th.
I really like this song! there is another 'making of the album' video where you can hear other tracks, i liked what I heard from the other tracks. One user above could be right - surprise of the year. Won't speak too soon but look very forward to this.
25.04.2009 - 01:48
Lord_Regnier

Written by iMorphball on 24.04.2009 at 17:27

That's pretty much what I meant in my post above. Imo, it doesn't suck and I believe we can say it's good. But amazing, awesome, or impressive? I don't think so. Not if you compare it to 90s Power/speed metal.

I wish to add that what I heard of the new Stratovarius is nevertheless much better than what I heard of the new Revolution Renaissance album, "Age Of Aquarius". The new Stratovarius is surely not my cup of tea but it's listenable. Revolution Renaissance sucks.
----
25.04.2009 - 02:16
iMorphball

Written by Lord_Regnier on 25.04.2009 at 01:48

Written by iMorphball on 24.04.2009 at 17:27

That's pretty much what I meant in my post above. Imo, it doesn't suck and I believe we can say it's good. But amazing, awesome, or impressive? I don't think so. Not if you compare it to 90s Power/speed metal.

I wish to add that what I heard of the new Stratovarius is nevertheless much better than what I heard of the new Revolution Renaissance album, "Age Of Aquarius". The new Stratovarius is surely not my cup of tea but it's listenable. Revolution Renaissance sucks.

I actually really enjoyed Revolution Renaissance's album, I seem like the only one haha. This new Stratovarius is atleast better then the title album released a few years ago haha.
25.04.2009 - 02:31
Lord_Regnier

Written by iMorphball on 25.04.2009 at 02:16

I actually really enjoyed Revolution Renaissance's album, I seem like the only one haha. This new Stratovarius is atleast better then the title album released a few years ago haha.

A little precision: I wasn't talking about "New Era" when I mentioned RR, only "Age Of Aquarius". Personally, I didn't like "New Era" but "Age Of Aquarius" seems to be a lot worse. Very awful.

Indeed, the new Strato stuff sounds much better than the self-titled album, which was quite bad.

Anyway, nothing can be as bad as "Saana". This was pure rubbish.
----
25.04.2009 - 02:32
Shadowcross
The Summoner
I think maybe Tolkki's absence may be a real strength for the band. RR does suck. I'm sorry.
25.04.2009 - 05:30
iMorphball

Written by Lord_Regnier on 25.04.2009 at 02:31

Written by iMorphball on 25.04.2009 at 02:16

A little precision: I wasn't talking about "New Era" when I mentioned RR, only "Age Of Aquarius". Personally, I didn't like "New Era" but "Age Of Aquarius" seems to be a lot worse. Very awful.

Indeed, the new Strato stuff sounds much better than the self-titled album, which was quite bad.

Anyway, nothing can be as bad as "Saana". This was pure rubbish.

I was actually talking about Age Of Aquarius D= I really enjoyed that album. Well, now that I think of it, too much mid-tempo, too many ballads. But I really enjoyed the last song though, haha.
25.04.2009 - 08:12
Lord_Regnier

Written by iMorphball on 25.04.2009 at 05:30

I was actually talking about Age Of Aquarius D= I really enjoyed that album. Well, now that I think of it, too much mid-tempo, too many ballads. But I really enjoyed the last song though, haha.

Even if they are good, an album made almost exclusively of mid-tempos and slow songs is boring, from my point of view. As for ballads, there are a few exceptions, but I usually consider them as the weakest songs on a metal album and a lost of space that should have been used for something better. When I listen to a metal album, I want to hear metal, not soft songs. I'm not a sentimental in general and surely not when it comes to metal (I hate lyrics about love and personal relationships, by the way). I don't have this problem with Black Metal or Thrash but ballads are way too common nowadays for my tastes in Powermetal. One ballad per album, ok (though I prefer no ballad at all). More than one, it's too much, imo. And three or more just sucks, I won't even be able to listen to the album from beginning to end, as many ballads break the pace too much. Maybe a few ones will think I'm wicked for saying this, but I enjoy lyrics much more when they're about dark fantasy or if they're antisocial. I like fantasy (when it's not cheesy) as it captures my imagination. And it's much easier for me to feel concerned by antisocial lyrics because it fits my character and often mirrors my own views on society. I feel unconcerned by lyrics about love and sentimentality.
----
25.04.2009 - 09:42
Fhuesc

A step towards the right direction, but still kilometers away from Visions.

The video is just meh!, hate this kinda videos
----
Hasta la victoria, siempre!
Until victory, always!
25.04.2009 - 13:29
Sunioj

Gotta love the dramatic hand movements and facial expressions.

hahahahahaha.
25.04.2009 - 14:31
Mountain King
K i K o
Nice
25.04.2009 - 22:04
Lord_Regnier

Written by Irritable Ted on 25.04.2009 at 21:45

Couldn't have said it better, are you a mind reader?

I'm surely not a mind reader. It seems we share some views on metal. We probably like metal for the same reasons and, when we hate it, our reasons are probably pretty much the same.
----
26.04.2009 - 21:50
iMorphball

Written by Lord_Regnier on 25.04.2009 at 08:12

Written by iMorphball on 25.04.2009 at 05:30

Even if they are good, an album made almost exclusively of mid-tempos and slow songs is boring, from my point of view. As for ballads, there are a few exceptions, but I usually consider them as the weakest songs on a metal album and a lost of space that should have been used for something better. When I listen to a metal album, I want to hear metal, not soft songs. I'm not a sentimental in general and surely not when it comes to metal (I hate lyrics about love and personal relationships, by the way). I don't have this problem with Black Metal or Thrash but ballads are way too common nowadays for my tastes in Powermetal. One ballad per album, ok (though I prefer no ballad at all). More than one, it's too much, imo. And three or more just sucks, I won't even be able to listen to the album from beginning to end, as many ballads break the pace too much. Maybe a few ones will think I'm wicked for saying this, but I enjoy lyrics much more when they're about dark fantasy or if they're antisocial. I like fantasy (when it's not cheesy) as it captures my imagination. And it's much easier for me to feel concerned by antisocial lyrics because it fits my character and often mirrors my own views on society. I feel unconcerned by lyrics about love and sentimentality.

I understand what you're getting at. I honestly don't listen to Power Metal for straight out Metal as it doesn't really appeal to me that way haha. If I want "METAL" I'll listen to Megadeth, Iron Maiden etc etc. For me Power Metal is more about the sound and the music, but it's true that some bands tend to over do it on the ballads. I mean, look at Axel Rudi Pell, he has 3 albums worth of Ballads xD
26.04.2009 - 22:15
Bas
Retired Staff
Mediocre. Very mediocre.

Kotipelto looks extremely pretentious in this video
And he shouldn't try to sound all epic, this way his voice really gets on my nerves (although I like him on previous Strato albums) and well, the whole songs would probably have been better if it wouldn't try to sound epic... My expections for the album went from low to a few metres below sea level
----
BAS - Beautifully Accented Sexiness

Hits total: 2677 | This month: 6