11. Valhall Awaits Me [Live at Summer Breeze Open Air 2007] [Vinyl bonus]
12. Runes To My Memory [Live at Summer Breeze Open Air 2007] [Vinyl bonus]
13. Cry Of The Black Birds [Live at Summer Breeze Open Air 2007] [Vinyl bonus]
14. Asator [Live at Summer Breeze Open Air 2007] [Vinyl bonus]
15. Pursuit Of Vikings [Live at Summer Breeze Open Air 2007] [Vinyl bonus]
16. Fate Of Norns [Live at Summer Breeze Open Air 2007] [Vinyl bonus]
17. Without Fear [Live at Summer Breeze Open Air 2007] [Vinyl bonus]
18. With Oden On Our Side [Live at Summer Breeze Open Air 2007] [Vinyl bonus]
19. Where Silent Gods Stand Guard [Live at Summer Breeze Open Air 2007] [Vinyl bonus]

Disc II [CD: Live At Summer Breeze 2007][Limited Edition bonus]
01. Intro
02. Valhall Awaits Me
03. Runes To My Memory
04. Cry Of The Black Birds
05. Asator
06. Pursuit Of Vikings
07. Fate Of Norns
08. Without Fear
09. With Oden On Our Side
10. Where Silent Gods Stand Guard
11. An Ancient Sign Of Coming Storm
12. Victorious March
13. Death In Fire

Disc III [DVD: Live At Summer Breeze 2007][Limited Edition bonus]
01. Intro
02. Valhall Awaits Me
03. Runes To My Memory
04. Cry Of The Black Birds
05. Asator
06. Pursuit Of Vikings
07. Fate Of Norns
08. Without Fear
09. With Oden On Our Side
10. Where Silent Gods Stand Guard
11. An Ancient Sign Of Coming Storm
12. Victorious March
13. Death In Fire

+ 40 page booklet [Limited Edition bonus]

I used to like a lot of music, but after finding MetalStorm, I discovered many new bands I had not heard before, including Amon Amarth. Seeing "With Oden On Our Side" on the MS Random Album feature started my interest about this band, and from there my position on "extreme metal" was changed.

So, this is my fourth album of AA and have to say, that I crowd it into my head two times a day. The voice of Johann Hegg is fantastic, in melodic passages sounds really amazing. I already like the album "With Oden on our side", but "Twilight of the Thunder Gods" I now prefer.
For long-time fans of Amon Amarth this album certainly does not bring anything new, but for me, as mostly fan of heavy and power metal, that kind of melodeath caught me. The tempo and melody of the songs on this album are very catchy. Title song "Twilight..." is real energy kick with very catchy refrain and classic guitar solo, 2nd song "Free Will Sacrifice" takes us into the front of the battlefield, 3rd Guardians of Asgaard is really masterpiece, probably the best song of this album...and so on, that´s enough this isn´t "song by song". I know it's nothing new under the Sun, but with these ingredients their music becomes more accessible to other, not-deathmetal audience.

The album brings nothing new and is very similar with previous "With Oden..." but I think that Amon Amarth doing what it does best and doesn´t try to change it. Perhaps only the songs are more melodic than before. For older fans may be just an "another piece" of Amon Amarth, for me, the new AA fan, this means that I like Amon Amarth a bit better,well done!

Rating breakdown
Performance: 10
Songwriting: 9
Originality: 7
Production: 10

Written by Heart_of_METAL | 15.04.2009

Guest review disclaimer:
This is a guest review, which means it does not necessarily represent the point of view of the MS Staff.

Guest review by
Fane
Rating:
Amon Amarth is a name that makes every true viking look up from their mead tankards. Unlike Ensiferum or Turisas these guys leave weaponry home and hop into a car instead of saddling their horses. They don't need props as they are vikings by heart and their album Twilight Of The Thunder God shows this more than well.

Read more ››
published 02.01.2011 | Comments (16)

Comments

Comments: 11   Visited by: 244 users
25.04.2009 - 21:25
Rating: 9
Kasper

After listening to this album, I would have to say that score is a bit to high IMO. The albums flows in the same repetive rhythms, there isn't that much difference between each songs. The only songs that I REALLY like are Varyags of Miklagaard, Tattered Banners and Bloody Flags, and Embrace of the Endless Ocean. The others aren't bad, not at all, just not as good IMO.

I prefer With Oden On Our Side so much more. And I hope the next album will be the real follow-up to With Oden On Our Side.. But alas, thats properly not gonna happen.

Anyway, a fine melodeath album. But 9.1 seems just a tad too much really.
----
"An open mind is like a fortress with it's gates unbarred and unguarded"
25.04.2009 - 22:15
Lord_Regnier

Written by Kasper on 25.04.2009 at 21:25

The albums flows in the same repetive rhythms, there isn't that much difference between each songs.

The exact feeling I have with "Versus The World" and the main reason why I've never been able to like it. I liked "With Oden On Our Side" but it's the only Amon Amarth album I kinda enjoy. As for "Twilight Of The Thunder God", I haven't listened to it yet.
----
"Why would we fear death, when life is so much more frightening?"
26.04.2009 - 03:08
tulkas
el parcero
Well, i thugh of this review more like a personal comment from someone who just discovered the band (just like he says), rather than a review made by someone who kows more the band and as been familiar with it for more time. still, like lord reiner says, i think the score is a bit too high, i'm not saying the albm is bad, not at all, it is actually really good, but just like they said, it really doesn't bring anthing new, altough i like the fact that they have a lot of interesting collaborations throughout the album.
still, AA is one of my fav bands of all time and this album certaily didn't let me down at all
----
love is like a jar of shit with a strawberry on top
26.04.2009 - 03:19
Lord_Regnier

@tulkas: I know in what sense that you agree with me but I never spoke of the score. I already explained in two other threads that I don't care at all for album ratings and never debate on them.

Personally, I don't care much if albums don't really bring anything new but I think Amon Amarth's albums suffer from a lack of variation between songs. It's too similar from beginning to end though, like you said, far from being bad.
----
"Why would we fear death, when life is so much more frightening?"
26.04.2009 - 03:30
tulkas
el parcero
Written by Lord_Regnier on 26.04.2009 at 03:19

@tulkas: I know in what sense that you agree with me but I never spoke of the score. I already explained in two other threads that I don't care at all for album ratings and never debate on them.

Personally, I don't care much if albums don't really bring anything new but I think Amon Amarth's albums suffer from a lack of variation between songs. It's too similar from beginning to end though, like you said, far from being bad.

in terms of the score, i just look at it to see what people think of the album, but on reviews it's more a subjective thing, 'cause it's really based on the test of the reviewer and on his liking or not liking of the band. but yeah, i believe we agree on most of the stuff here. specially on how they manage to still be far from being bad
----
love is like a jar of shit with a strawberry on top
27.04.2009 - 21:54
Rating: 10
Alive.Corpse

Amon Amrath is perfect. this album is perfect too.
18.07.2009 - 00:16
Rating: 7
Devilspeed

Talk about overrated. Amon Amarth fans are beginning to annoy me. 7/10.
18.07.2009 - 00:57
Piro

It's not the best album ever, but songs like Live for the Kill and Tattered Banners and Bloody Flags make it worth it IMO.
----
<Philosophy>Insert Intelligent Sounding yet meaningless Philosophical Quote Here</Philosophy>
17.12.2009 - 07:16
Uirapuru
Liver Failure
As always mantaining their good quality albuns. For me thats enough to give it a high score
----

----
member of the true crusade against old school heavy metal, early 80s thrash, NWOBHM, traditional doom, first and second wave black metal, old school death metal, US power metal, 70s prog rock and atmospheric doomsludgestoner. o/
13.07.2010 - 20:46
Rating: 9
Windrider
Raureif
Love this album, especially Tatteres Banners And Blood Flags, I always start to dream then lol...
Same with Where Is Your God?!
07.12.2015 - 21:09
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Johan whit one N not 2 NN

I used to like a lot of music, but after finding MetalStorm
That part don't make much sense, because w all can think you liked radio, pop, disco, music
----
Life is to short for LOVE, there is many great things to do online !!!

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing

Hits total: 7916 | This month: 11