02. Darkland
03. Imis Avernis
04. Bastard
05. Doresh El Ha'metim
06. Mortuus Et Prodeunt Infradaemoni
07. Merihim Rises
08. Der Tod
09. Animatus

It's not easy to find really aggressive and true Black Metal nowadays. I'm not saying that we don't have good bands, Urgehal for example is a living proof that real "raw" Black still exist but it's trendy to do really melodic music and even some promising "newcomers" of the genre already tend to become more accessible (I'm not talking about being some COF wannabe too but still). What I want to say is that even if underground Black Metal remains popular, this is not so easy to find good albums and maybe that "Imis Avernis" will save the ones who're still looking for dirty disturbing Black Metal?

In general, Black Metal is more a matter of atmosphere than anything else but lately, it seems that perfect productions and "clean" stuff can only be done. At least "Imis Avernis" is not in this category and even if the album remains simple (in a technical way) and even a bit repetitive, there is "something" here. It's hard to hear the vocals the tempo is hypnotic and the riffs are simple and repetitive but the whole ambiance of the record just gives shivers. Actually Mortuus Infradaemoni just managed to create the atmosphere that I like to feel when I listen to Black Metal, something dark of course but which gives you an uncomfortable felling. Like if something was looking at you behind you, you see what I mean. Honestly the songs are maybe a bit simple but after all that's probably the wish of the combo and the sepulchral atmosphere just does what's needed to have a good record of Black Metal.

The album features longs songs which all have a real evolution but even if the drum is fast, the whole rhythm is not demoniac. This is insistent, repetitive, hypnotic, malicious? With its dirty but cool production and with the fact that the vocals are just slightly audible, "Imis Avernis" is perfectly produced (I particularly like the cover artwork by the way). Some people who're not really into Black Metal will maybe find it boring but the ones who really like underground Black will understand what I mean.

"Imis Avernis" has not the pretention to be the best album ever released in the genre but the German duet has just done a really good album in the end. Dirty, dark as hell and disconcerting, the music of Mortuus Infradaemoni must be known especially if you're bored by to clean Black Metal releases and is looking for something which definitely come from the underworld, don't miss this release. Mortuus Infradaemoni is a name that you'll have to keep in mind for the future.

Rating breakdown
Performance: 7
Songwriting: 8
Originality: 7
Production: 8

Written by Jeff | 26.04.2009

Comments

Comments: 2   Visited by: 43 users
27.04.2009 - 17:57
Inlé

Ha, I got this album only two days ago. It's pretty solid, I generally agree with the review and rating. One to check out for black metal fans, and a step up from their first album.
06.06.2009 - 03:32
Galar
Wicked Mung
Id give this a 9, overall mad good album
----
YOUR ARGUMENT IS INVALID, SUCK A DICK

Hits total: 4425 | This month: 9