Metal Storm logo
Slipknot

14.07.2006 - 09:15
tulkas
el parcero
Outside metal one of my favorite bands is Slipknot. I really like it for all the ideology they transmit with their music and their lyrics, which I consider the best I´ve seen. The thing is, a lot of my friends bother me because they don´t like it for some reason, soooo I just wanted to hear your opinion about this band, whether you like it or not and why, and if there´s any other fans like me out there?
----
love is like a jar of shit with a strawberry on top
14.07.2006 - 10:45
Valentin B
Iconoclast
i used to like them,and i do enjoy "wait and bleed".it has some good lyrics,but frankly i got bored of them..
15.07.2006 - 03:56
+{Jonas}+
I R Serious Cat
Finally a topic for Slipknot! Thanks tulkas!

I love this band, spite everyone in MS seems to hate them. I have the albums and the Disasterpieces DVD. That DVD slams, the Joey solo is just great, and Spit It Out, when Corey makes everyone "jump the fuck up"... Damn!!!!

About the musik, I like the three albums I have (Slipknot, Iowa and Vol. 3). I like Vol 3 the mpost because I feel like they matured their sound, and realized they don't have to scream for everything. Just listen to Circle, it's acoustic, and slams.

They are very talented, but everyone hates them. Can someone tell me why?
----
"Nobody wants to be the weird kid, you just end up being the weird kid. You don't know how you ended up getting there" - Rob Zombie

http://jonas-bs.deviantart.com My dA, mainly photography, go check it out!
15.07.2006 - 05:56
Throne of Rats

This band got me into metal pretty much. I love their first three albums that being Mate, Feed, Kill, Repeat, Self - Titled and I.O.W.A. I can not stand their new material, I dont think I have seen sell out more than Cradle of Filth but Slipknot come very close. What happened to the metal whats with all the mellowed out tracks it just isnt them. There is only one good song from their new material and that is Scream a bonus track on the Australian tour edition. I love their early stuff and will always thank them for that but their Vol. 3 and Live CD lick major balls. Very dissapionted Slipknot......
----
Burning Crosses, Invoke the Powers, Rape the Crown, Hell Awaits!!
15.07.2006 - 21:19
tulkas
el parcero
@Reinhardt: I haven´t been able to get the dvd, but I do have all the albums including the Mate, Feed, Kill, Repeat. I also liked a lot the vol. 3, somehow they´re experiencing a new sound and it´s like a more melodic album, but it´s still great.

@Throne of Rats: dude, I don´t really think they sold out, or were trying to. If know something about this band, then you should know that one of their main pourposes is going against the popular stuff and trying to make people realize the road the world has taken is wrong. That´s the main theme for a lot of songs, anyway, good thing you liked the other albums
----
love is like a jar of shit with a strawberry on top
16.07.2006 - 04:15
Throne of Rats

@tulkas: Yeah I can see your point, but comparing their new stuff to their old some people would consider it selling out. And yes I do love their old stuff like I said if it wasnt for them I probably wouldnt of discovered the music I like now.
----
Burning Crosses, Invoke the Powers, Rape the Crown, Hell Awaits!!
16.07.2006 - 04:26
Niflhel
Account deleted
I belive the guys admitted that they make music for the purpose of making money.

They actually have another band that is rather decent.

(oh, and i dont like them, just thought id mention )
17.07.2006 - 02:39
bangladesh

They have sellout....self titled and IOWA were good albuns (not conting with the singles that were horribles), but vol.3 is like a album full of wait and bleeds...it´s so bad
19.07.2006 - 07:28
bobcusp
Account deleted
Well ... Slipknot is my favorite band... but I do not consider the last album... It stinks money of reccords... hate it...

I dont like nu, new... and anything like it... just the old slipknot....
I like Metalcore too... but not too much ...
19.07.2006 - 21:04
SteTech

Written by Guest on 16.07.2006 at 04:26

I belive the guys admitted that they make music for the purpose of making money.

Is that Stone Sour you're on about? I've heard 30/30 150 and it's pretty damn catchy. I didn't know Corey Taylor was the singer at first, but now that I know, it's pretty obvious
19.07.2006 - 22:53
Niflhel
Account deleted
Written by SteTech on 19.07.2006 at 21:04

Written by Guest on 16.07.2006 at 04:26

Is that Stone Sour you're on about? I've heard 30/30 150 and it's pretty damn catchy. I didn't know Corey Taylor was the singer at first, but now that I know, it's pretty obvious

No no, im talking about anal blast
19.07.2006 - 23:11
Ruines
Account deleted
ha ha yeah anal blast was great

let's see slipknot as what it really is : some easy to listen metal music to get you into the metal world. BUT, it's not a brutal band (i m tired of hearing this) and no they didn't re-invent metal and there is plenty of better bands around.

And the last album is a complete waste of time. Some slipknot groupies might say they are going against the tendencies of music to do something they like, i say those groupies are just blinding themselves. Slipknot made an even more easy album to listen too with pretty ballads and some catchy riffing like in the before i forget song. And the ballads aren't even good ones.
21.07.2006 - 03:08
Bass_Grime
Account deleted
o dear, well my opinion is that if your english or american you can understand the feelings they put behind there lyrics , unfortunatly people from other countries dont seem to understand , this probably stems from the fact that in the uk and america we take are lifes for granted.

slipknot for me are alongside the bands where u only like a few songs, that doesnt mean the band are talentless, it just means i cant relate to all there material
22.07.2006 - 22:14
adorina
Account deleted
Slipknot is good in my opinion. I don´t get all the whining. They´ve got really nice stuff and I admit I like the band:) They´re catchy and agressive, yet kind of meaningful.
24.07.2006 - 07:34
Ibanez07
Account deleted
I like the newer stuff [as Reinhardt said], because they have in fact- matured...some. Though the whole 9 members...and using trash cans as an 'instrument,' has passed me [not to mention...the DJ ]. They have quite a talented drummer. Joey Jordison is really good at what he does [and apparently at guitar too], and Mick Thompson now has quite an amazing singature guitar [with specs I love].

I'm getting more into their older stuff now too...like Sic, Spit it Out, Only One...etc. Though my favirote stuff is still Gothenburg!
27.07.2006 - 14:23
Vunts

Okay, Slipknot. One of the most hated bands in metal society. But not to worry, my post here is not with that tone. I don't listen to them very often, but fact is, that i have never hated them. Sure, i dislike some things like "Everybody put your fuckin middle fingers in the air" during live shows (i've seen some videos). That is just annoying. The DJ, i don't find annoying. To me, his purpose is rather similar to industrial music, which i like. All that distortion that comes in (for example on the vocals in Virus of Life) sucks though, but i don't know if that's to the fault of the DJ. As for the masks and many members, i guess that's just their way of having fun. Doing music with their friends. Joey has some interesting drumming and there are riffs that are just plain interesting to hear. I won't compare them with any "tr00" metal bands to keep flaming out, but they clearly don't deserve even half of the hate they get.

Vol.3 has a different feel to it than the others. More melodic and less aggressive. Can't exactly say the songs stick to me, but it's not a bad release.

The Self-titled has some really great songs like Eyeless (the near perfect ownage song for DnB fans), Surfacing, Diluted and Liberate (i just simply love the latter song...no real reason behind it, i just do)

Iowa already shows slight direction that the band was going to take on Vol.3, but i really gotta say that this one sounds the weakest, even though the beginning of Disasterpiece is finely made.

Now Mate.Feed.Kill.Repeat, why anyone would NOT like this album for being "mainstream" is totally beyond me. It's one of the most original metal releases that i've heard. Do Nothing/Bitchslap for example is a superb song, mixing rap and old school car chase music nearly flawlessly. Confessions does a rather good job at the same formula also.

So well, in conclusion: their image is the only thing i can really complain about. One of the more annoying facts is that people that don't know a lot of metal are thinking that Slipknot is like some ultra uuber heavy band and thinking they're badass because of liking them. Newsflash, music doesn't make anyone badass, just opens paths to conversation and makes a person happy. Plus their releases are all distinctive. For example, mixing a song from say Self-Titled with one from either Iowa, Vol.3 or MFKR is near impossible. So, even if they have repeated themselves for a person with knowledge of riffs and whatnot, for the plain ear, such as myself, they have progressed a little with every album. Just gotta think if the progression took part in the right direction But that's simply personal preference.
I don't have Slipknot in any of my playlists, but i do listen to them at least once a month.
27.07.2006 - 15:32
Ruines
Account deleted
Man Iowa is not their weakest release at all. IT's actualy their best one. More mature and agressive than the first one and not gay as the 3rd. Plus the song Iowa is amazing.
27.07.2006 - 15:49
Vunts

You say it's not, i say it is. T's a matter of opinon. And i wasn't talking about aggressivness...i don't even know what exactly i was thinking about, but that part was the weakest on Iowa.
27.07.2006 - 16:55
Ruines
Account deleted
You're saying Iowa is weak compared to vol3:subliminal gayness ?
27.07.2006 - 18:17
Vinnie R.
Chido Chido
The best band of this years (talking about the mainstream), very powerful and agressive. My favorite one: Iowa. That album have the best cd cover that i seen that is a fetus, amazing. The last one is good, if ou like some soft music and Mick thompson is the best guitarist of all numetal bands.
27.07.2006 - 18:19
Vunts

Written by Guest on 27.07.2006 at 16:55

You're saying Iowa is weak compared to vol3:subliminal gayness ?

Riiight...you know, i don't need to explain myself to you more than i already did. Get over it.
27.07.2006 - 20:08
Ruines
Account deleted
I don t care if you explain or not. But Iowa was the peak of Slipknot's career. They just turned more mainstream with their last album, following the "emo" wave with ballads and catchyness. You can prefer that if you want but that doesn't change that it's not an musical evolution or experimentation at all. It's a mainstream album.

Iowa is the best.
09.08.2006 - 16:16
Beer Fairy

I like them, i can't say that i'm the biggest fan, but every Slipknot song that i've ever heard is great )
10.08.2006 - 01:50
Tencho

this band is very good, has an incredible energy, it is it that but I like of Slipknot. The shows in Argentina the last year was very good, they surprised all...
12.08.2006 - 17:12
Chazy Metal
Account deleted
the brand new album Stone Sour is verry nice !!!
12.08.2006 - 22:11
Ernis
狼獾
Slipknot was my absolute favourite four or five years ago.....Not only me but my absolutely non-metal classmates listened to it and well....I am actually satisfied that I got over this nu-metal period....
What I still say good about Slipknot is that their lyrics appealed to me much...the song Gently(something like that...do not expect me to remember) was really my favourite back then...the lyrical sequences "Come see my cage built in my grave" and "I'm just a bastard but at least I admit it" were ideally harmonized with my depression and arrogance....
The singer has a fine voice and people adore the drummer....but anywayzz Slipknot has long ago lost its significance for me....
13.08.2006 - 03:05
marinBG

IOWA is still within my top 5 favourite albums of all time... but the subliminal stuff was really disappointing for me... if I wanna hear melody and many clean vocal lines I'd rather listen to Bon Jovi, cause they are at least good at it... I listen to a lot of soft stuff, but when SlipKnot does it, its plain boring for me... they are just not good at this and they should stick to what they do best and it's be brutal as hell...

anyway, I love them as a band and would kill for a chance to see them live...
----
...cause I don't give a fuck if you hate me!
28.08.2006 - 14:12
Ernis
狼獾
I do not think I would purchase a ticket for them exclusively....but if they for example performed on a festival I am present, then I'd go and enjoy them finally in live too.......
28.08.2006 - 19:03
Valar
IndianSteel
I used to listen to them almost 8 months ago but i got damn bored of them and now cant tolerate Slipknot.... except for two or three tracks like Duality.
----
"It's a dangerous business, going out of your door, You step into the Road, and if you don't keep your feet, there is no knowing where you might be swept off to." - J.R.R. Tolkien, "Three Is Company," The Lord of the Rings
19.09.2006 - 01:31
spirit_inblack
harshhead
I don't know why some people completely ignore Slipknot. I think they are halfway decent. Iowa was a great album and I like some of the new stuff. Corey Taylor and Joey Jordinson are very talented and they write very good lyrics if you ask me.