04. Big Town
05. Borken Silence
06. Too bed
07. Joker
08. Smoke This
09. Acid Rain
10. Gangster
11. Demolition Man

Sometimes the promotional material I get along with my CDs puts a grin on my face. For example the info sheet I got for this one tells me that Killer Klown is trying to become the best modern sleaze rock band in the world. Pretentious as it might sound though; this Italian quartet might just manage to pull it off.

Usually sleaze doesn't manage to grab my attention, but "Gain" is just a damn fine rock album. Almost every single riff exactly hits its mark and singer Gabry lays down a great performance as well. His voice is rough and smoky with a good portion of variation. Among the 11 songs there's not a single bad one, a feat rarely accomplished on debuts. They round the whole package off with a modern American sound, a really cool attitude and a solid production. Killer Klown managed to give us a great and fun hard rock (with some small hints of alternative metal) disc, that should be absolutely perfect for parties. I can also imagine them being a great live act.

The music is a bit samey, but this shouldn't be too much of a problem with a running time of 36 minutes. Another great thing is how the band tries to produce as little filler as possible. Ignoring a 1:10 long interlude, there are two songs under 2:30 minutes. Listening to them doesn't make you think they're too short though. Instead you'll find yourself thinking "ah finally a band that got it right!". After all it should be quality above quantity, right? And if cutting all the parts that aren't necessary ensures a higher overall level of quality it's completely worth it if you ask me.

This CD should be a no-brainer for everyone who's into fun rock music with a cool attitude.

Favourite Tracks: Big Town, Bloody Velvet. They're all pretty good though.

Rating breakdown
Performance: 8
Songwriting: 9
Originality: 6
Production: 8

Written by Bas | 03.05.2009

Comments

Comments: 2   Visited by: 34 users
04.05.2009 - 13:08
destroyah
supercharger
Gave their myspace a go and it's pretty decent. Don't see them becoming the best modern sleaze band, but I guess they'll do just fine. Would love to see them play live though, I have a feeling I'd enjoy myself.
----
About me:

"The best out of all the people ever" - Washington Post

"We abandoned Christ for Destroyah's love!" - The Watchtower

"Simply amazing!" - Rolling Stone
04.05.2009 - 21:50
Rating: 8
Bas
Retired Staff
Written by destroyah on 04.05.2009 at 13:08

Gave their myspace a go and it's pretty decent. Don't see them becoming the best modern sleaze band, but I guess they'll do just fine. Would love to see them play live though, I have a feeling I'd enjoy myself.

Pretty much exactly my thoughts on it
----
BAS - Beautifully Accented Sexiness

Hits total: 3491 | This month: 8