08. Suite Sister Mary [live]
09. Needle Lies, The [live]
10. Electric Requiem [live]
11. Breaking The Silence [live]
12. I Don't Believe In Love [live]
13. Waiting For 22 [live]
14. My Empty Room [live]
15. Eyes Of A Stranger [live]

Watch out, this is a masterpiece! Queensrÿche has always been able to stay away from this simplistic heavy hard rock trend rotten by some spoiled dick-heads with their traditional clichés and their shallow lyrics like 'Baby, I feel so alone!'. On the contrary, this band, far from collapsing into a disguting laziness, wrote some complex and well-structured songs and intellectual and extremely worked on lyrics. In fact, Queensrÿche is a real warmachine destined to fight against the establishment. This is confirmed by 'Operation: Mindcrime' which is at the same time ultra-polished and accessible to the masses.

This sensational album begins with the intro 'Remember Now', before the real starter 'Anarchy X', an instrumental track whose purpose is to launch the killer 'Revolution Calling'. Yes, the album is built in such a way that it tells a story with recurrent characters (Sister Mary, Doctor X, Nikki). so this fiction has a storyline that we discover all along the album.
Meanwhile, some energetic and sublime songs follow each other, with for example the hit 'The Mission' and its wonderful chorus on which we can admire the whole spectrum of Geoff tate's vocal abilities. There's also the very powerful 'Spreading The Disease' with its fast but harmonious structure.

Some songs are near to excellence ('Speak', 'Operation: Mindcrime', 'Eyes Of A Stranger'), whereas some other tend more towards something experimental and marginal like 'My Empty Room' and 'Suite-Sister Mary'. Also to be noticed the superb vocal performances of Geoff Tate on the very good 'Breaking The Silence'. Yes, because even if this album has catchy riffs and fabulous drumming, we can reasonably say that the real highlight of this band is Mister Tate's presence. He's got a voice sometimes close to Dickinson's, he's able to adapt to all the tones, he sounds easy on every song, his intense and emotional vocals take the album up to another level of tragedy. He is probably one of the best singers ever, simply excellent!

About the conception of the album, the best thing to do is quote Tate: 'I think the 'Mindcrime' is just wonderful, we've been inspired by the years of presidency of Reagan and Bush, and this is really the only thing I thank them for.'

Written by | 21.06.2004

Guest review disclaimer:
This is a guest review, which means it does not necessarily represent the point of view of the MS Staff.

Comments

Comments: 5   Visited by: 203 users
10.05.2009 - 11:44
Valentin B
Iconoclast
Hell yeah, this album is so intellectual and artistic and so accessible and catchy it's incredible, A+ shit right there.
12.09.2009 - 04:28
will_on_wheels
Account deleted
This is one of the best albums evaaaaaaa
02.08.2011 - 16:20
ErnilEnNaur
Account deleted
An amazing album indeed. Has anybody else noticed that Mission seems to have been a great source of inspiration for Dream Theater's Pull Me Under and Edenbridge's Shine? Maybe even too great a source of inspiration.
02.08.2011 - 16:41
Rating: 10
Angelic Storm
Melodious
Written by Guest on 02.08.2011 at 16:20
Has anybody else noticed that Mission seems to have been a great source of inspiration for Dream Theater's Pull Me Under

Yep, "Pull Me Under" has always reminded me of "The Mission" right from the first time I heard it!

As for this album itself, it is definitely one of the greatest of all time! And even though Queensryche now churn out woefully boring music, they will always be legends for their mid 80's-mid 90's stuff, and particularly, the original Mindcrime. xD
27.08.2016 - 00:56
Rating: 10
BlankFile

One of the most inspiring álbuns of the 80´s. Masterpiece of the genre.

Hits total: 10429 | This month: 6