Metal Storm logo
Children Of Bodom - Drop Off Lamb Of God Tour

Official press release

Award-winning Finnish heavy metal band Children Of Bodom was forced to cancel its remaining live dates as part of the "No Fear Energy Tour" with Lamb Of God due to injuries sustained by guitarist and front man Alexi Laiho. Laiho, 30, broke his shoulder two weeks ago when he was ejected from his tour bus bunk after the vehicle took a sharp turn. Laiho and Children Of Bodom are touring North America in support of the band's critically acclaimed album "Blooddrunk". The axe slinger was recently named as the world's "Best Metal Guitarist" in the 15th annual Guitar World reader's poll.

Against recommendation, Laiho had decided to "bite the bullet" and remain on tour, wearing the arm in a sling to restrict movement at all times when he was not on stage. But after performing ten live dates with both the broken shoulder and internal bleeding, the toll became too much for the guitar hero to endure and Children Of Bodom made the decision to cut its current tour short, placing Laiho's long-term health as its first priority.

"After the New York show (on May 9) I knew it was going to be over," commented Laiho in an official statement. "During the 3rd song I started feeling like someone was stabbing me in my lungs, my heart and my ribs. That was the kind of pain that neither stubbornness, painkillers, nor alcohol could alleviate. I wanted to try to keep going but after seeing a second doctor in Philadelphia, I was basically told that I could fuck myself up for life if I don't stop playing. Against all recommendation, I have played and sang for the last 10 days in violent pain which has only made my condition worsen. So, I decided to listen to everyone around me, who were telling me the best thing to do would be to go home and get some proper rest and give my shoulder some time to heal."

"This was a hard decision for me and I feel bad about it," he continued. "But it is the right thing to do if I want to keep making music. I apologize to our great fans for not being there for the remaining shows and I want to thank all the guys from the other bands; Lamb Of God, As I Lay Dying, God Forbid and Municipal Waste for backing me up on this. Most of all I want to thank our fans for still being there, showing support, and continuing to rock out with me! I promise I will be back and I hope you all will too! Horns up!"

After a few weeks rest, Children Of Bodom will start their European summer festival run on May 30th from Rock Hard Festival 2009 in Gelsenkirchen, Germany. All summer festival dates will go down as planned and remain unaffected by Alexi's injury!

Source: cobhc.com
Band profile: Children Of Bodom
Event: No Fear Energy Music Tour
Posted: 12.05.2009 by Bad English

Comments

‹‹ Back to News
Comments: 42   [ 2 ignored ]   Visited by: 373 users
12.05.2009 - 02:41
Shadowcross
The Summoner
Shit that has to hurt... at least he tried.
It will take awhile to get full movement back I think.
12.05.2009 - 02:48
munson
I'm not at all a CoB fan, but that man has some balls.

Major props for at least trying to stick it out (stupid move, though).
12.05.2009 - 02:49
LeChron James
Helvetesfossen
What a fucking savage. 10 dates with a broken shoulder? jesus. hope it didnt fuck him up in the long run.
----
Kick Ass, Die Young

Less is More
Stay Pure
Stay Poor

Music was my life, music brought me to life and music is how I will be remembered long after I leave this life. When I die there will be a final waltz in my head that only I can hear.
12.05.2009 - 02:58
corrupt
With a lowercase c
Admin
Insane!
----
12.05.2009 - 02:59
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
Admin
Not a Bodom fan at all, but i have to give credit where credit is due. he gets my respect for trying to battle it out and continue the tour while AFU.
----
get the fuck off my lawn.

Beer Bug Virus Spotify Playlist crafted by Nikarg and I. Feel free to tune in and add some pertinent metal tunes!
12.05.2009 - 03:25
Glower
Wow....
That's interesting.

Hope he gets better soon, anyways.
12.05.2009 - 04:47
Got Mayhem?
Oh God...You're done Laiho.
Remember when he broke his arm/wrist (i forget which) while bowling prior to the Blooddrunk album? I dont think he was fully able to recover and look at the boring album we got afterwards.

This guy had so much talent and he's wasting it away in booze, drugs, suicide attempts, and injuries. It may be best to listen to Kissing the Shadows and forget about the junk that came afterwards...Still a COB fan, but an old school COB fan.
----
12.05.2009 - 04:49
Daggon
Underpaid M.D.
Oh man, that must hurt, but it seems that he really cares for delivering his fans a great show, that is really "the show must go on" attitude haha.
----
"Les vers savent qu'ils n'ont pas d'ailes, c'est pour cela qu'ils se cachent sous terre"
12.05.2009 - 05:59
Symmachus
Alexi Laiho has my respect for playing the 10 shows in that pain. But it was the right decision to cancel the tour due to this pain, as much as it sucks for the fans.
12.05.2009 - 06:00
Urizen367
Love him or hate him, you have to respect the man's devotion and will to continue despite his (3rd) arm breaking.
----
I will not reason and compare, my business is to create.
12.05.2009 - 06:01
tulkas
el parcero
Is it just me, or is Laiho breaking into pieces. he's always breaking something, getting sick...
----
love is like a jar of shit with a strawberry on top
12.05.2009 - 07:04
Paradox0
Unasuming Madnes
Written by tulkas on 12.05.2009 at 06:01

Is it just me, or is Laiho breaking into pieces. he's always breaking something, getting sick...

Have you ever seen the man. Looks like a stiff wind could blow him limb by limb.
12.05.2009 - 07:38
tulkas
el parcero
Yeh, that could be it. he's the muscular mass and body type of Monty Burns
----
love is like a jar of shit with a strawberry on top
12.05.2009 - 08:01
Ernotar
Cookie Mistress
When I first heard about his new injury last week, I immidiately thought that they should cancel all the gigs until he's fully recovered. I'm glad they did it now that it may not be too late. To me internal bleeding is a good enough reason to cancel a gig, but I guess he thought mixing painkillers and booze would make him immortal. Laiho has had many injuries in the last few years, but at least this time the reason for this one sounds reasonable (unlike, when he broke his ribs, when the guys were hitting each other with pillows...)
----
You'll never walk alone.
12.05.2009 - 08:24
What an idiot. Then again we all know Alexi is an egomaniac, just like most great guitarists.
12.05.2009 - 08:25
Thrash666
Fan or not you have to tip your hat to the dude...... Fuckin metal if you ask me

Get better Alexi
----
LONG LIVE THASH!!!!!!!!!
R.I.P. "Dimebag" Darrell Abott
Drink a "blacktooth" for Dimebag
12.05.2009 - 10:08
RockeRoy
That's Metal:)
----
You found god? If nobody claims him in thirty days, he's yours

Walk with me in hell
12.05.2009 - 10:49
Italics
Props to Alexi for his dedication.

But no props for slowly but surely drinking his body to death
----
But I Justify My Desire to No One
12.05.2009 - 12:33
In Bone Factory
What a man.
----
The End Is Nigh ...
12.05.2009 - 16:06
MeloDeathViking
Wow, thats ridiculous. I don't know how you do play with a broken arm, but definitly give him props for that.
----
"I am not superstitious, but I'm a little 'stitious." - Michael Scott
12.05.2009 - 16:10
Janne
Hugin
I don't care about the USA tour come back to Europe!!
----
age]

-FOLK METAL HUNGARY-
12.05.2009 - 16:17
Arian Totalis
The Philosopher
Well, damn.....damn
----
"For the Coward there is no Life
For the hero there is No Death"
-Kakita Toshimoko

"The Philosopher, you know so much about nothing at all." _Chuck Schuldiner.
12.05.2009 - 16:32
Carrion Misery
He needs to drink more milk.
----
? Carrion Misery
www.mournspire.com | Two-Man Death Doom Project
Full album streaming
12.05.2009 - 16:40
Sentenced Odiin
gothic.moorion@gmail.com
Höh...i have a guess he was drunk
this is second accident...remember when he fell down from a car and broke his arm (after many shots of vodka of course)...
Alexi's brave, but irresponsible act (10 gigs..oh fuck!) is noteworthy and venerable...great man! keep on! Horn up!
----
Life has given me much, maybe taken more...
12.05.2009 - 17:15
Nexus
Asshat
I hope he feels better :].

I'm glad this happened after they came to Montréal.
----
If you stand for nothing, you'll fall for everything
12.05.2009 - 18:11
MetalManic
Blooddrunk "critically acclaimed"? HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!
12.05.2009 - 18:38
White Winter Sun
Laboratory's Rat
Elite
Written by MetalManic on 12.05.2009 at 18:11

Blooddrunk "critically acclaimed"? HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!

Do you expect something different in an official press release, really?
12.05.2009 - 18:43
HyperDrifter
Written by Sentenced Odiin on 12.05.2009 at 16:40

Höh...i have a guess he was drunk

That means the bus was drunk...or the driver of it perhaps...
12.05.2009 - 21:18
Thought.
A Dying God
Alexi Laiho, World's Best Metal Guitarist...
----
There is no God but the one that dies with me. I have no life but the one I take with me to the grave. We come into this world alone. And we will die on our own. I live. I die. Ain Elohim.
12.05.2009 - 22:52
Carrion Misery
Jeff Loomis is a name that comes to mind that challenges that statement.
----
? Carrion Misery
www.mournspire.com | Two-Man Death Doom Project
Full album streaming

Hits total: 6166 | This month: 12