Reviewer:
N/A

60 users:
Band: Agoraphobic Nosebleed
Album: Agorapocalypse
Style: Grindcore
Release date: April 2009

01. Agorapocalypse Now
02. Timelord One (Loneliness Of The Long Distance Drug Runner)
03. Dick To Mouth Resuscitation
04. Moral Distortion
05. Hung From The Rising Sun
06. First National Stem Cell And Clone
07. Question Of Integrity
08. Timelord Two (Paradoxical Reaction)
09. Trauma Queen
10. White On White Crime
11. Druggernaut Jug Fuck
12. Ex-Cop
13. Flamingo Snuff
14. Crypto-Zoology [Japanese bonus]
15. Werewolf Women Of The U.S. [Japanese bonus]
16. Dis-Order Of Species [Japanese bonus]
17. Un-Natural Selection [Japanese bonus]

Amongst the many politically incorrect and absurd rants bellowed throughout Agorapocalypse is one little nugget that perfectly encapsulates the idea behind this album. Said line is '...no purpose in being offensive', which appears in "Question Of Integrity". Indeed, Agoraphobic Nosebleed in the past sounded much like unleashing a spastic raccoon on a drum machine; however, Agorapocalypse sees the band exploring groove and memorable riffage instead.

This results in an album that is actually quite close to thrashcore, with echoes of D.R.I., Corrosion Of Conformity and even Slayer being in abundance. The tempos are also generally slower and less synthetic. In fact, this album might just contain the very best programmed drums ever heard, highlighted by a surprisingly natural-sounding drum solo in "Question Of Integrity". Vocals are delivered with appropriate levels of vitriol by no less than three screamers, one of them being a woman. If you will excuse this brief departure into pseudo-intellectual babble - I think having a female vocalist like Kat perform on an album with songs about choking women with a dick ('Dick To Mouth Resuscitation') or what I can only surmise means titfucking gargantuan melons ('Druggernaut Jug Fuck') is absolutely brilliant from a feminist point of view. Digressions aside, her insane high pitched screams add a lot to the dynamics of Agorapocalypse. And dynamics is overall the name of the game here - songs go from blast beat workouts into surprisingly rhythmically challenging technical parts with ease and a sense of fluidity. Without a doubt, this is some of the best grind songwriting out there.

The only problem with all of this is that compositional nuance is not supposed to be a part of Agoraphobic Nosebleed's sound. Or at least, this is what many fans waiting for another 100 short bursts of insane extremity might think. Instead, they will get Agorapocalypse, a surprisingly musical album that intrigues the listener, instead of just brutally sodomizing them. I guess its up to the listener - for me personally, this is one of the best grind albums this year.

Written on 12.05.2009 by With Metal Storm since 2002, jupitreas has been subjecting the masses to his reviews for quite a while now. He lives in Warsaw, Poland, where he does his best to avoid prosecution for being so cool.

Comments

Comments: 9   Visited by: 166 users
12.05.2009 - 04:57
Rating: 8
Dangerboner
Lactation Cnslt
Pretty good album but I still like Honkey Reduction and Frozen Corpse Stuffed With Dope more

the drum machine does sound great like Jup said, especially on a sound system.... really powerful
12.05.2009 - 16:51
Ag Fox
Angel No More
elite
Spastic racoons ftw XD
----
loves 小巫
13.05.2009 - 23:04
Susan
Smeghead
elite
I know next to nothing of this genre, because what little I've heard seems to be just monotonous blasting and brutality. This, however, seems dynamic and interesting and very musical. Great review, everyone needs some politically INcorrectness in their iives front time to time

(Yeah, "spastic racoons" was really funny )
----
"A life all mine
Is what I choose
At the end of my days"
--The Gathering "A Life All Mine" from Souvenirs
14.05.2009 - 14:33
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Yeah I really liked it but I'd have prefered it to be a more burtal and spastic. You're right though, best grind album so far.
27.06.2009 - 21:06
Rating: 9
HiF
Album rating: 10.
09.02.2010 - 00:10
Definitely the best of 2009, although in my opinion not the best album by the band; I'm still a big Frozen Corpse Stuffed With Dope fan, and Altered States of America, PCP Torpedo, Honky Reduction, The Glue That Binds Us and the Bestial Machinery compilation are also fantastic.
06.09.2010 - 21:47
Meller
Sleazy Rider
I'll have to agree with what is said in the review. The album took a bit of shit in many reviews, but won me over. Not my favourite ANB bomb blast, but I can't deny how well this is made. Also has nice depth in it, with more down tempo parts and even - Devil forbid - groove, than used to from the band, and I'm definitely with you about the vocal works. "Druggernaut Jug Fuck" became an immortal song name from the Day One...
----
"Haloo? ...Mulla on sellainen tunne, ett' mä olen surmannut miehen."
07.09.2010 - 00:27
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
This ended up being my favourite album of last year I think.
30.09.2010 - 21:56
Boxcar Willy
yr a kook
And on the wantlist
----
14:22 - Marcel Hubregtse
I do your mum

DESTROY DRUM TRIGGERS

Hits total: 12139 | This month: 13