Release date: 1996

01. En Stram Lukt Av Kristent Blod
02. Bergtollets Hevn
03. Gorgoroth
04. Wind [interlude] [2005 re-release version]
05. Possessed (By Satan)
06. Heavens Fall
07. Sorg

The Obscure Satanic Northerner's are back with yet another great album by standards of the normal governing party of Black Metal fans. Not only did they improve, they brought their no holds bar, in your face Satanic attitude. Lets start by saying my personal feelings or well, what I thought of this album. This is or was an improvement upon quality and sound for the band as a whole, it showed that they could put something out that wasn't completely underground, but at the same time keep the fans that feel in love with their first album, Pentagram. The thing that could my eye with this album was well, the quality of the drumming. It has improved and it continues to get better, it honestly doesn't sound like a dry hollow thump that is just blast beats and little double bass. It seems that they tried and succeeded with the attempt to make something above cult status. This also has a big influence of atmosphere in it now, which comes mainly from the last track, Sorg, which in my mind is a damn good ending track.

The obvious is well, that this is one of the most popular Gorgoroth releases to date. Its of a good length, around 24 minutes for six songs, it has atmosphere and typical black metal guitars, and it has a decent, if not wonderful arrangement of clean vocals on the song, Gorgoroth. When you sit down and listen to this album, its an instant classic, no one can really say it isn't nor that it wasn't one of the most influential albums in the mid 90's that today still sets a harmonic benchmark for what Black Metal is today. The line up is currently Hat, Infernus, and Frost (of 1349 and Satyricon.), in which Infernus also does the bass tracks for this album. That's some what of a mixed blessing, but for the better, its one of the smartest things they could have done. Infernus does a good job on both the Bass and Guitar, blending them just right and getting the exact feel that should be there. Hat does the vocals perfectly, and Frost adds his trademark drum technique to the sound of the band over all on this album.

For the average listener, this is the album to get if you want to listen to some of the best material that they are released in their career, I wont lie to you? but I do like almost everything they have done, but this album surely blows everything away. The only complaint I really have about it is the length, its slightly short or their aren't enough songs on the album. There is so much you can do with only six songs, it tends to get bland after a while I must admit.

Recommendations! Sorg, Possessed By Satan , Gorgoroth.

Written by Prugor | 18.04.2004

Guest review disclaimer:
This is a guest review, which means it does not necessarily represent the point of view of the MS Staff.

Comments

Comments: 2   Visited by: 92 users
19.05.2009 - 10:55
Uirapuru
Liver Failure
Quote:
The obvious is well, that this is one of the most popular Gorgoroth releases to date. Its of a good length, around 24 minutes for six songs, it has atmosphere and typical black metal guitars, and it has a decent, if not wonderful arrangement of clean vocals on the song, Gorgoroth.

Most popular deserving that. But only 24 min is to kill the fans... Good review, excellent album, the best one of Gorgoroth IMO. ''Sorg'' is memorable!
----

----
member of the true crusade against old school heavy metal, early 80s thrash, NWOBHM, traditional doom, first and second wave black metal, old school death metal, US power metal, 70s prog rock and atmospheric doomsludgestoner. o/
03.05.2013 - 02:26
Rating: 9
MandoMikey
Awesome album, the length doesnt bother me, raw black metal like this can get a bit headachy when its too drawn out. Gorgoroth the song is just beautiful. classic album.
----
In a sane world as it should be, and it wont be for a while, we'll do away with capital and pay for things with smiles.
In a sane world as it should be, however slim the chances, we'll do away with capital and pay for things with dances.

Hits total: 4377 | This month: 13