Metal Storm logo
Drums

Original post

Posted by , 15.07.2006 - 00:33
Talk about everything related to drums. Equipment, best drummers in the world, how long have you played, who are your main influences, and so on.
13.04.2008 - 04:10
Bitter Dawn
Ave Sathanas!
I got the Evans head to sound fairly good on my DW, however... there was a snare I've been eyeing up at the store for a while now, and for a while it was reduced pricing, and then the price went back up. Thursday I was looking at it again and the price was reduced again, so I went back today and grabbed it. It's a Pacific Drums/DW brass snare from the sx series, 5x14 and from what I've seen online I got it for a steal. I also plan on returning the HHX crash and getting a 17" Sabian AAX stage crash, so it better matches my other cymbals but still gives me a rich sound that my other crashes don't offer.
13.04.2008 - 22:37
heresiarch
Forever Dead
I found this brilliant drum solo by Derek Roddy

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yxBni29y8rI
----
Heaven queen , carry me away from all pain

No reason to live for
One reason to die for

... To live for my death ...
16.04.2008 - 15:28
Savage Messiah
Metal Drummer
Written by heresiarch on 13.04.2008 at 22:37

I found this brilliant drum solo by Derek Roddy

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yxBni29y8rI

Awesome.
*steals his drum kit*
24.06.2008 - 18:08
MortalTheory
Account deleted
alright, first gear:
PDP 805 kit:
2x22" kicks
8",10",12" rack toms
14",16",18" floors
14x5.5" Mapex Black Panther Snare (Love this thing)

cymbals: zildjian and a paiste.
14" hats, 8" & 10" Splashes, 16" & 2 18" Crashes, 22" ride, 2 18" Chinas, 6" bell

heads: remo
sticks: vic firth extreme 5a

favorite drummers: Mike Portnoy, Chris Adler, Jaska Raatikainen, Mike Smith, John Dolmayan, Dave Lombardo, etc.

Who can tell me about a good rack system?
28.06.2008 - 04:18
Bitter Dawn
Ave Sathanas!
Sounds like a nice set up MortalTheory, if you want some serious drum discussion check out http://acapella.harmony-central.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=19 or http://www.blastology.net/forum.php
28.06.2008 - 18:48
Remus

Written by Guest on 24.06.2008 at 18:08

How 'bout that ?

Seriously though your drum kit sounds really awesome! Jeez two bass drums en 6 toms was it? Wow, you must be a damn good player, right?

Unfortunately i don't know much about (tom)racks as i only ever played on single-bass drum kits...
But u can just go to tama or pearl's websites en check out their hardware, but then you allready knew that...
Meanwhile how about some pics of your kit? There's a thread for it.

@Bitter Dawn: thanks for those two likns. Will check them out!
----
Procrastinate, NOW!
30.06.2008 - 09:42
MortalTheory
Account deleted
alright, where is this thread, remus?
30.06.2008 - 09:55
Bitter Dawn
Ave Sathanas!
Written by Remus on 28.06.2008 at 18:48

How 'bout that ?

Seriously though your drum kit sounds really awesome! Jeez two bass drums en 6 toms was it? Wow, you must be a damn good player, right?

Unfortunately i don't know much about (tom)racks as i only ever played on single-bass drum kits...
But u can just go to tama or pearl's websites en check out their hardware, but then you allready knew that...
Meanwhile how about some pics of your kit? There's a thread for it.

@Bitter Dawn: thanks for those two likns. Will check them out!

No prob. The downfall of Harmony Central is most of the people on that site are a bunch of old geezers, but overall the drummers are pretty damn knowledgable. Unfortunately Blastology is kind of low on members, so it's not overly active.
30.06.2008 - 21:51
Christos

Pearl Icon - best rack system out there in my opinion. Unlike other racks, it's impossible for the clamps to slip on the Pearl. Check out the 503.
----
ta bi
01.07.2008 - 06:12
MortalTheory
Account deleted
Written by Christos on 30.06.2008 at 21:51

Pearl Icon - best rack system out there in my opinion. Unlike other racks, it's impossible for the clamps to slip on the Pearl. Check out the 503.

i have looked at the ICON, and tama's Power Tower, and PDP, and Gibraltar, and i actually think now that gibraltar does, it really doesn't eveer slip, even though it's cylindrical, and it has more mounting options than ICON, i actually am going out to buy that rack tomorrow, but thanks for the advice.
06.07.2008 - 23:35
Remus

Written by Guest on 30.06.2008 at 09:42

alright, where is this thread, remus?

http://www.metalstorm.ee/forum/topic.php?topic_id=7154

Post away my friend! I think you da only one here wit two bass drums.
----
Procrastinate, NOW!
22.08.2008 - 17:34
Christos

Written by Guest on 01.07.2008 at 06:12

i have looked at the ICON, and tama's Power Tower, and PDP, and Gibraltar, and i actually think now that gibraltar does, it really doesn't eveer slip, even though it's cylindrical, and it has more mounting options than ICON, i actually am going out to buy that rack tomorrow, but thanks for the advice.

Another thing I like about the Pearl is that it's incredibly quick and easy (and foolproof) to set up the same way every time. Nonetheless, a lot of people rate the Gibraltar racks so I wish you good luck with it - and let us know how you get on.
----
ta bi
04.09.2008 - 14:23
Valentin B
Iconoclast
do you guys approve of this?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trigger_pads

i don't, it seems as fake as that self-tuning guitar tbh
05.09.2008 - 12:50
Savage Messiah
Metal Drummer
Written by Valentin B on 04.09.2008 at 14:23

Hmm... well, I guess at the end of the day all they've invented is an electronic device that allows us to hear every bass beat in a constant barrage of double bass.

I think it's very easy to lose sight of what drumming truly is, when you get too far into the "speed" stuff. Devices like this don't allow for different emphasis on the bass drums, which can sound really boring. I love drumming with different accents, so this sort of thing isn't my bag, baby.
05.09.2008 - 14:10
Valentin B
Iconoclast
Written by Savage Messiah on 05.09.2008 at 12:50

Hmm... well, I guess at the end of the day all they've invented is an electronic device that allows us to hear every bass beat in a constant barrage of double bass.

I think it's very easy to lose sight of what drumming truly is, when you get too far into the "speed" stuff. Devices like this don't allow for different emphasis on the bass drums, which can sound really boring. I love drumming with different accents, so this sort of thing isn't my bag, baby.

yeah, it kinda loses all the magic, someone could come up with a way to make the pedal hit the drum without having to use that(like a device which hits the drum both when you raise your foot and when you lower your foot would be nice, though it would be expensive and would make it a bit too easy)
11.09.2008 - 04:56
MortalTheory
Account deleted
Written by Valentin B on 05.09.2008 at 14:10

yeah, it kinda loses all the magic, someone could come up with a way to make the pedal hit the drum without having to use that(like a device which hits the drum both when you raise your foot and when you lower your foot would be nice, though it would be expensive and would make it a bit too easy)

isn't a dualist pedal kind of like that? but yeah, triggers are cheating in my opinion. if you can't hit with hard strokes, you can't REALLY do it.
14.09.2008 - 18:35
Genghis Kal
Account deleted
Written by Guest on 11.09.2008 at 04:56

isn't a dualist pedal kind of like that? but yeah, triggers are cheating in my opinion. if you can't hit with hard strokes, you can't REALLY do it.

I dinnah, triggers can be alright. I know I've enjoyed a few live things where the drummer has used them. I don't know much about triggers but I guess it depends how they're set up: for example I can't stand Hellhammer's live sound, it's fucking terrible. It sounds more computerised and fake than actual computer drums, if that makes sense.
16.09.2008 - 06:43
MortalTheory
Account deleted
Written by Guest on 14.09.2008 at 18:35

Written by Guest on 11.09.2008 at 04:56

I dinnah, triggers can be alright. I know I've enjoyed a few live things where the drummer has used them. I don't know much about triggers but I guess it depends how they're set up: for example I can't stand Hellhammer's live sound, it's fucking terrible. It sounds more computerised and fake than actual computer drums, if that makes sense.

ooh, i like bands that use triggers sometimes. but i still think in terms of double bass, its really cheating
01.02.2009 - 20:22
Kasper

Hey everybody.

Lately I've run into a wall concerning drumming. I've never covered a song on drums before, as I really never wanted to, but now as I'm kinda stuck with drums, and I want to try something new, than just the same jamming, and practising. I would say I'm between skilled/advanced in some form. But still I want to try something easy, so I don't have to analyse a difficult song as my first one, so for a startpoint - an easy song.

I thought stuff like Amon Amarth, seems pretty straightforward. Any other recommendations? It must not too fast, but around 180 bpm seems fair. Not too technical either.
----
"An open mind is like a fortress with it's gates unbarred and unguarded"
24.12.2012 - 07:28
Ace Frawley
The Spaceman
Anyone using good software/apps for drum lessons, theory, learning to read the music, learning cool rock/metal songs? Any ideas on what's good to use would be gratefully received by a guy trying to get better on drums.
----
The sun shines over The Fool...
24.12.2012 - 20:13
Boxcar Willy
yr a kook
Written by Ace Frawley on 24.12.2012 at 07:28

Anyone using good software/apps for drum lessons, theory, learning to read the music, learning cool rock/metal songs? Any ideas on what's good to use would be gratefully received by a guy trying to get better on drums.

Guitar Pro. Most tabs have drums as well that are generally pretty accurate. Plus them playing in real time is a huge bonus when trying to learn it.
----
14:22 - Marcel Hubregtse
I do your mum

DESTROY DRUM TRIGGERS
30.12.2012 - 13:12
Vombatus
Potorro
Started using FL studio 10 for drum machine, but had a problem. I want to export the file to Audacity, and all goes ok until I click on play where a message about "wrong sound configuration" appears (and basically, won't work).

So, is anyone familiar with FL studio and how to use it with other softwares ? Thanks a bunch.
22.02.2013 - 12:11
Ace Frawley
The Spaceman
Wondered if anyone had views, experience, opinions on entry-level or just beyond entry level acoustic drum kits on the market. Choices between brands - what's good, what's not so good etc. I'm in the market for a kit, possibly new, possibly second-hand. Any advice greatly appreciated. Views on cymbals, bass drum pedals, hardware, also appreciated.
----
27.03.2013 - 15:04
Jtbmetal123

I play a ddrum kit with one bass drum but with a double pedal. I have two toms with a floor Tom. I have a Ludwig snare drum. I have a cracked and chipped hi hat. Most of my cymbals are chipped but I have two crash snares but no ride cymbal. It's not a very good kit but it works. I wish I had a better kit.
27.03.2013 - 15:08
Jtbmetal123

I've been playing for about 6 years now. My influences are Neil Peart, Joey jordison. I think some of the best are Jason Bittner, Neil Peart, Joey jordison, Derek roddy, buddy rich.
30.03.2013 - 11:24
Ace Frawley
The Spaceman
Written by Jtbmetal123 on 27.03.2013 at 15:08

I've been playing for about 6 years now. My influences are Neil Peart, Joey jordison. I think some of the best are Jason Bittner, Neil Peart, Joey jordison, Derek roddy, buddy rich.

Agree with you on your list there of some of the best drummers. I really like the way Bittner plays. He's got some serious talent. I can only dream of playing like that. At the moment I'm just playing songs that I would describe as "rock" rather than "metal" because I can't play double-bass with my left foot yet. Maybe one day.
----
31.03.2013 - 16:19
Jtbmetal123

Written by Ace Frawley on 30.03.2013 at 11:24

Written by Jtbmetal123 on 27.03.2013 at 15:08

Agree with you on your list there of some of the best drummers. I really like the way Bittner plays. He's got some serious talent. I can only dream of playing like that. At the moment I'm just playing songs that I would describe as "rock" rather than "metal" because I can't play double-bass with my left foot yet. Maybe one day.

Practice practice and more practice. Ithats how I learned man. Just take an hour out and play every day.
05.04.2013 - 11:19
Hellbrann

I'm looking for new crash cymbals because I destroyed both of my crashes :') Does anyone have any good recommendations for a reasonabe price?
----
Druantia | Folk metal
12.05.2013 - 07:28
Ace Frawley
The Spaceman
Anyone got any views or experience with the Sonor Force 3005 kit? I'm looking to get one second-hand and some of the reviews I've read online suggest it's a pretty good kit. I'm going to be using it for hard rock/metal playing.
----
15.05.2013 - 00:01
Boxcar Willy
yr a kook
Written by Ace Frawley on 12.05.2013 at 07:28

Anyone got any views or experience with the Sonor Force 3005 kit? I'm looking to get one second-hand and some of the reviews I've read online suggest it's a pretty good kit. I'm going to be using it for hard rock/metal playing.

No experience with the kit itself, but I find reviews on Musician's Friend usually hit the nail on the head in terms of accuracy, you should see if it's on there.
----
14:22 - Marcel Hubregtse
I do your mum

DESTROY DRUM TRIGGERS