07. IndoctriNation
08. The Maelstrom Mephisto
09. Absolute Sole Right
10. Sympozium
11. Perfection Or Vanity

Disc II [Korean Edition bonus]
01. Devil's Path [re-recorded version]
02. Burn In Hell [Twisted Sister cover]

The first time I listened to this album I was a little shocked - the sound has changed in many ways compared to the Spiritual Black Dimensions album. It's not necessarily a bad thing, but compaired to the other albums this one is just not as strong... This time more symphonic elements added, which made the album more melodic [obviously!] and less 'black'. For all the true black metal fans out there this album would probably find it quite disappointing. That's the same thing that happened after Cradle of Filth's "Midian".

The intro, Fear And Wonder, is a good song, thanks to Mustis - he is one of the best keyboard players out there. Blessings Upon The Throne of Tyranny follows, a great fast song, with some awesome drumming by Nick Barker. King Of The Carnival Creation is the first song where you can hear the clean vocals of ICS Vortex. I must say his clean vocals are totally amazing, some of the best I've ever heard. Another song that features clean vocals is Hybrid Stigmata - The Apostacy, my personal favourite. The biggest surprise on this album was the song Puritania - totally different, with some almost industrial elements, definitely not what I expected to hear from Dimmu Borgir, but the result is not that bad. The outro of the album is an instrumental track, Perfection of Vanity. The CD also features a bonus track, a cover of Twisted Sisters - it sounds good, but they didn't really changed much of the original.

Some people say Dimmu Borgir have sold out with this album, because it's more accessible and made some good numbers in sales. I don't think so - what really matters is that it's still a good album, it's only natural that the band evolves and changes its sound. It's also a perfect introduction into black metal - after that you can go digging deeper underground if you want. However, if you are not new to black metal, you better go find Dimmu Borgir's older albums.

Written by AntaeusM | 16.09.2003

Guest review disclaimer:
This is a guest review, which means it does not necessarily represent the point of view of the MS Staff.

Guest review by
TheH2K
Rating:
At first I aimed to write an article about this record but I thought it would get so musically technical as this album has a lot to say, so I just want to transform it to a review and say why this record is a flawless performance.

Dimmu Borgir is commonly accepted for being one of the giants of the genre; some critics would argue about their musical alteration or one would say they are not as extreme as they should be these days. Others would say after Mustis and ICS Vortex departed, they haven't had the essence anymore. But a band cannot satisfy all the listeners equally; they had to move on at some point.

Read more ››
published 02.06.2020 | Comments (1)

Comments

Comments: 21   [ 2 ignored ]   Visited by: 235 users
15.07.2006 - 02:16
Rider Of Theli
Account deleted
I Love This Cd and Cant Wait to Get My Hands On There Older Stuff...DIMMU BORGIR:banger:
16.07.2006 - 03:51
Rating: 9
Dangerboner
Lactation Cnslt
This is by far my favorite Dimmu Borgir cd. It's easily they're most aggressive release. I really like the symphonic elements added to it too.
28.07.2006 - 10:39
Rating: 8
Megadeth88

This was my favorite Dimmu Borgir album. But after a while this album got boring and I realized that their new stuff just isn't as good as their old stuff. I'm glad they evolved into something good, I'm just sad that it's not as good as the old Dimmu Borgir.
18.08.2006 - 03:35
Dark Snake
Account deleted
This is the best Dimmu Borgir album

Though it's next to Stormblåst (Re-recorded).

I like this Dimmu album 'cause of the symphonic that is added in most of the songs =) My favorite is Puritania and Architecture Of A Genocidal Nature
19.02.2007 - 17:45
Black Serpent
Account deleted
This I think is the 3rd best album Dimmu Borgir have ever made. (1st is Stormblåst and 2nd is Death Cult Armageddon) The instrumentals is great, and the change of "music-style" was also a good idea. They have come up with new and original (wich in some cases many think is sad or disappointing, but I think it's a good twist for Dimmu Borgir. Let's hope they stay like this and combining their old work.

Hail, Dimmu Borgri!
10.03.2007 - 05:43
Paganblood
The Aryaputra
yea, I like older Dimmu Borgir albums, but I think I should listen to this one as well.
----
that which shines without names and forms...
29.04.2007 - 22:47
Rating: 5
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
The first Dimmu album I ever bought, and I quite like it, at some points I find it boring but overall its no a bad purchase. Appropriate rating I guess.
----
"I got a lot of really good ideas, problem is, most of them suck."
- George Carlin
30.04.2007 - 10:45
Goat-Christ

First Dimmu Borgir album I heard. Love it.
03.06.2007 - 12:25
shadow616

the best album of all theirs discography!
----
www.soundbastards.pl
www.musicmetal.org
www.rycerze.wp.pl
03.06.2007 - 19:31
AnGina--
Dark Phoenix
One of actually bought albums I own Nah, I like it, 8 is a fair and square rating. I love both the old and new dimmu. I guess i'd put PEM on a 4th place (1st EDT, 2nd Stormblast, 3rd SBD).
----
You think darkness is your ally? You merely adopted the dark. I was born in it. Molded by it. I didn't see the light until I was a man. But it was nothing to me but blinding.
01.07.2007 - 02:42
ãtuã

This is a GREAT album. I'm not really into their old ''raw'' Black metal stuff. I preffer Dimmu Borgir far better with the symphonic elements.
30.03.2008 - 10:42
Rating: 7
Uirapuru
Liver Failure
amazing album.. it has everything a dimmu album deservesm, its black, fast and symphonic xD... fine by me. 8/10.
----

----
member of the true crusade against old school heavy metal, early 80s thrash, NWOBHM, traditional doom, first and second wave black metal, old school death metal, US power metal, 70s prog rock and atmospheric doomsludgestoner. o/
30.03.2008 - 18:38
W-Lash
Metal Master
Not bad but not as great as previous albums. It's a bit boring except "King Of The Carnival Creation" - probably the greatest Dimmu Borgir song.
24.04.2008 - 22:18
Rating: 8
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
it's better than "Spiritual Black Dimensions"...I found that the previous one was boring as fuck and it has to many average songs... but this one has an ok sound and all the songs are good in a way.

Maybe I will buy it...

Written by Dangerboner on 16.07.2006 at 03:51

I really like the symphonic elements added to it too.

I agree on that... Maybe that's why I think that this album kick the shit out of SBD [I don't like that album that much cause I see it's like a cd without strengh]

The symphonic intros of "Hybrid Stigmata-The Apostasy" and "Sympozium" are just brilliant...
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29
Like you could kiss my ass
Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.
01.05.2008 - 14:14
Ellrohir
Heaven Knight
Perfection Or Vanity is great song, but the rest was nothing special for me
----
My rest seems now calm and deep
Finally I got my dead man sleep

20.10.2008 - 16:13
Deadmeat
Necrobutcher
To me that album was great. I like more that style than the old Dimmu Borgir! Symposium is great!
----
Υou've sold your human essence to the cold world of dead and empty things... You're SOLD!
30.12.2008 - 13:47
Passenger
Lost To Apathy
Perfect balance between everything Dimmu Borgir has been and is now. Their best album by far.
----
You don't make up for your sins in church. You do it in the streets. You do it at home. The rest is bullshit and you know it ~ Mean Streets
02.01.2009 - 20:06
Abattoir

A very good album with lots of nice sounding songs. Especially Kings Of The Karnival Creation and Sympozium are the finest for me out of this album.
28.03.2009 - 01:06
Deadmeat
Necrobutcher
After reading again that review i disagre with to things:
1. the rating should be higher.
2. is this a good introduction to black metal??? no. it is a great symphonic BM album but with so many blastbeats and symphonic moments IMO it is not what a "new guy" on BM should hear. some melodic BM should be better.
----
Υou've sold your human essence to the cold world of dead and empty things... You're SOLD!
16.12.2009 - 03:34
Rating: 10
SatyriconChick

I've been listening to this album a lot lately. I'm beginning to think of it as my favorite DB album at this point.
15.05.2010 - 00:43
Rating: 10
I_Die_Often

This is my favorite Dimmu release.
Absolute Sole Right is awesome, as is every other song here.
Really like the into on this disc, a fine start to the bombardment that lay ahead!
----
Old enough to be your Daddy... speaking of which... you look familiar... do I know your mother???

Hits total: 10457 | This month: 14