Metal Storm logo
Best Death Metal Band

Original post

Posted by spirit_inblack, 15.07.2006 - 03:18
I just find it curious to know which death metal band everyone enjoys the most. For me it would have to be Dying Fetus, Cannibal Corpse or Nile.

Poll

Which death metal band do you enjoy the most?

Death
Other
Nile
Cannibal Corpse
Morbid Angel
Obituary
Deicide
Autopsy
Dying Fetus

Total votes: 429
08.04.2011 - 19:34
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Because of their anti-Christian lyrical content some people think Deicide are black or blackened death metal - because we all know only black metal can feature Satanic lyrics, and anti-Christianity is solely representative of black metal as a whole.

I think that's the same guy who wanted us to change Deicide's style to blackened death and Sodom to blackened thrash and Cradle of Filth to blackened Gothic etc. etc. etc.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
08.04.2011 - 19:57
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
If Deicide are black metal the Motley Crue were also black at one point
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

08.04.2011 - 20:12
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
Written by Troy Killjoy on 08.04.2011 at 19:34

Because of their anti-Christian lyrical content some people think Deicide are black or blackened death metal - because we all know only black metal can feature Satanic lyrics, and anti-Christianity is solely representative of black metal as a whole.

I think that's the same guy who wanted us to change Deicide's style to blackened death and Sodom to blackened thrash and Cradle of Filth to blackened Gothic etc. etc. etc.

no, that was some other guy. BoxCar Willy or whatever he changed his name to this week.
----
get the fuck off my lawn.

Beer Bug Virus Spotify Playlist crafted by Nikarg and I. Feel free to tune in and add some pertinent metal tunes!
08.04.2011 - 20:16
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Good call COld.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
08.04.2011 - 21:26
WhiskeyBay

Written by BitterCOld on 08.04.2011 at 20:12

no, that was some other guy. BoxCar Willy or whatever he changed his name to this week.

Well i think lyrical content makes up alot of what defines a genre of music. Hence why i say Cannibal Corpse follows the path of original death metal. The original lyric style of Chuck Schuldiner (who i consider death metal's starter) was of gore and the undead before he went with more philosophical lyrics. So in that sence, they are classic death metal.
09.04.2011 - 00:26
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
Written by WhiskeyBay on 08.04.2011 at 21:26

Well i think lyrical content makes up alot of what defines a genre of music. Hence why i say Cannibal Corpse follows the path of original death metal. The original lyric style of Chuck Schuldiner (who i consider death metal's starter) was of gore and the undead before he went with more philosophical lyrics. So in that sence, they are classic death metal.

...so if someone screeches "I love you baby baby baby yeah!" over kvlt-produced necro-riffing and blast beats, what is that?

sorry. i'll stick with the long-standing classification. you can call them whatever you want, but don't be surprised if folks just roll their eyes and don't take you seriously.
----

Beer Bug Virus Spotify Playlist crafted by Nikarg and I. Feel free to tune in and add some pertinent metal tunes!
09.04.2011 - 00:59
@gent_-_orange

Quote:
Quote:

Well i think lyrical content makes up alot of what defines a genre of music.

I dont know about that. All genres are defined purely by the music (Well to me at least).
09.04.2011 - 01:04
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
With the majority on this one. Death metal = death metal because of the characteristics of the music, not the lyrical content.

Case in point: Amon Amarth. Melodic death metal. NOT Viking metal.
----
10.04.2011 - 03:37
Guib
Thrash Talker
Written by Troy Killjoy on 09.04.2011 at 01:04

With the majority on this one. Death metal = death metal because of the characteristics of the music, not the lyrical content.

Case in point: Amon Amarth. Melodic death metal. NOT Viking metal.

Exactly... I mean listen to a Black Metal band ... it has nothing to do with Death bands lol the sound ain't the same
the atmosphere the whole feeling about it is different. No matter the lyrics... I saw death bands talking about other stuff
than gore and stanism lol so generalizing over lyrics is illogical. Its like classifying Rock because of lyrics when we know
they've touched pretty much every subject without it having any impact on the style... why doing an exception with metal ?
----
- Headbanging with mostly clogged arteries to that stuff -
Guib's List Of Essential Albums
- Also Thrash Paradise
Thrash Here
10.04.2011 - 03:42
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
It's a shame Autopsy received such a small portion of the votes - Mental Funeral is one of the greatest death metal albums of all time.

That being said, I think Immolation and Bolt Thrower deserve a spot in the elite ranks of death metal juggernauts.
----
10.04.2011 - 06:56
Yasmine

Even though I listen to Immolation a bit, I'd have to say both those bands (cringe if you must) are a we too generic to be among the elite.
----
"Both optimists and pessimists contribute to our society. The optimist invents the airplane and the pessimist the parachute." G B Stern
"Society is like a stew. If you don't stir it up every once in a while then a layer of scum float u
10.04.2011 - 07:05
Void_Eater
Account deleted
Written by Yasmine on 10.04.2011 at 06:56

Even though I listen to Immolation a bit, I'd have to say both those bands (cringe if you must) are a we too generic to be among the elite.

Immolation generic? What other band sounds like Immolation? I'm actually quite curious-I love Immolation, but the only similar band I know of is Drawn and Quartered.
10.04.2011 - 07:54
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
I can't see any generic qualities in Immolation, but in my opinion you can compare them with The Chasm. What other band sounds like Bolt Thrower?! Benediction?
----
10.04.2011 - 09:02
Yasmine

Generic doesn't mean soundalike, but more that they don't, intheory, have a defining quality, moment, etc etc. This is especially true of Immolation. I would love to give a beter explaination, but I'm FULL of painkillers from surgery. So just tossing stuff out. lol And Benediction was the pillar of what I'm talking about. lol Just a bunch of power chords.
----
"Both optimists and pessimists contribute to our society. The optimist invents the airplane and the pessimist the parachute." G B Stern
"Society is like a stew. If you don't stir it up every once in a while then a layer of scum float u
10.04.2011 - 09:37
Void_Eater
Account deleted
Written by Yasmine on 10.04.2011 at 09:02

Generic doesn't mean soundalike, but more that they don't, intheory, have a defining quality, moment, etc etc. This is especially true of Immolation. I would love to give a beter explaination, but I'm FULL of painkillers from surgery. So just tossing stuff out. lol And Benediction was the pillar of what I'm talking about. lol Just a bunch of power chords.

Obviously you're high on somthing... Immolation has plenty of defining qualities. Due to my crappy explanation skills, I can't explain what they are, but they are very unique. One of the few bands where I can hear a riff and think, "Yup, that's Immolation."
10.04.2011 - 23:22
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Brutal, catchy, evil, rhythmically complex - you name it, Immolation have it.
----
11.04.2011 - 00:41
Yasmine

Brutal, sure, evil, yep, catchy is subjective, complex? Compared to say......Origin or Gorguts? Not at all. And I think Immolation is the opposite, if I listen to a riff I'd wonder for weeks who they who it was where as say Atheist would stand out in a mob of riff like crazy. I really can't explain well right now though, I've passed out 2 times already. lol
----
12.04.2011 - 14:23
Bulletdodger

Can't really decide between Nile and Death but I voted for death, pretty self-explanatory.
----
Aus dem Paradies, das Cantor uns geschaffen, soll uns niemand vertreiben können.
David Hilbert
12.04.2011 - 19:00
ANGEL REAPER

I voted for Death because they were unique,and there was no Bolt Thrower in the list(i didnt wanted to vote other,its too many bands in such choice )
----
"Cross is only an iron,hope is just an illusion,freedom is nothing but a name..."
"Build your walls of the dead stone...Build your roofs of a dead wood..Build your dreams of a dead thoughts"
13.04.2011 - 19:09
deathbloodydeath

No surprise DEATH is getting higher votes (highest among the listed ones) than even the 'OTHER BANDS,' which may include great European bands such as Entombed, Dismember and great american bands such as Suffocation, Malevolent Creation.
Even it currently is gaining more votes than the sum of the votes for the three bands (nile, cannibal corpse, and dying fetus) the original poster mentioned.
Some say 'this band should be the best because thier debut or sophomore or third album.... is the greatest death metal album of all time.' I have no intention to start an argument, but I have to say that DEATH
1) is the band that started this genre (many bands were also doing same thing back then but no one sounded as deathly as Scream Bloody Gore (still thrashy, though). From todays standards, it may not be considered as a death metal (by newbies who thinks modern Brootal death metal only is the pure death metal), but whenever I listen to this, I feel the atmosphere of death metal unlike possessed's seven churches.
2) has the most consistently brilliant discography than any other death metal bands do. Only Atheist, Immolation, Suffocation, Bolt Thrower, and Gorguts comes to mind in releasing such consistently great albums in their entire career. Some bands had great debut but later stray away from their root (e.g. Massacre, Entombed and many other European death acts). Some legends are still sticking to their roots but the quality of their albums are continuously decreasing (e.g. Deicide, Cannibal Corpse, Obituary, Morbid Angel etc..Dont get me wrong, these four bands are my second favorite bands (a tie at no.2) and I own all of their complete discographies, whether albums and songs are good or bad, in multiple copies; over 170 CDs for just 4 bands; guess how many CDs I have collected for DEATH's 7 studio albums haa haa).
3) Chuck is one of the best guitar players in all of metal, not only in death metal. Although his growling is usually blamed for not as low as his peers or todays growler, I particularly find out that his style is more tiresome to sing (my personal experience! I can produce a deep low growl but Chuck's vocals are difficult to mimick).
4) His lyrics maybe chessy in the early days but gradually improved up to the level you can see on Human, ITP, Symbolic and TSOP. I think even Chuck and DEATH haters may not argue about that. By the way, although I like DEATH the most, I will never tell Morbid Angel and Altars suck nor Deicide, Cannibal Corpse, Obituary etc. I love all of the pioneers of death metal (old school) I have almost all of the oringinal albums of forefathers (US, Europe). Not bragging. Just want to prove I love all of them and just I prefer DEATH a little more to those other great bands (e.g. pestilence, carcass, napalm death and many others).
5) DEATH's songs are among the most memorable and catchy in this genre. Many bands have such quality on some of their albums but DEATH maintained such quality in all of their albums. And even the later melodic albums have the melodies those are not happy like Children of Bodom, In Flames, etc. For example, the melodies used in symbolic are cathchy as hell but still very dark, mysterious, and melancholic, which make me feel the atmosphere of a real death metal, thrilling, chilling, brutality, and headbangableness.
This might be the longest fanboy praise about a band. I am sick and tired of bitter argument and thus request to the possible hater of this comment to neglet it as I did not insult anybody's favorite band intentionally in this comment.
14.04.2011 - 00:19
Yasmine

Every now and then fanboys are right, behold one of the very few times. lol
----
14.04.2011 - 15:31
K✞ulu
Seeker of Truth
Written by Yasmine on 14.04.2011 at 00:19

Every now and then fanboys are right, behold one of the very few times. lol

agreed. I liked that long statement. Doesn't sound fanboyish at all by the way.
----
Savor what you feel and what you see
Things that may not seem important now
But may be tomorrow

R.I.P. Chuck Schuldiner

Satan was a Backstreet Boy
14.04.2011 - 19:16
ANGEL REAPER

That "fanboy" got the point....
"OLD SCHOOL IS THE BEST".....on every genre of metal....(ok that is not a rule but personal remark....)
----
"Cross is only an iron,hope is just an illusion,freedom is nothing but a name..."
"Build your walls of the dead stone...Build your roofs of a dead wood..Build your dreams of a dead thoughts"
26.04.2011 - 06:33
Nigel Peppercock

I feel that there should be a new thread, best death metal band besides death, because let's face it, death is amazing. I still voted for obituary because I'm counter cultural so TAKE THAT! Seriously though I love obituary and John Tardy is my favorite death metal vocalist, but Death is the better band.
----
"A victim of someone else's choice
The ones who suffer have no voice"
20.05.2011 - 16:14
Razorback

I voted Death,reason is obvious.
----
Careful what you wish,you may regret it.Careful what you wish,you just might get it!
24.08.2011 - 05:32
king_matt

Dying Fetus because of their orgasmic sound.
----
http://www.last.fm/user/King_Matt
24.08.2011 - 14:48
HoleInTheSky1985

Death is my pick, pounding record after pounding record. For about 1.7 seconds I thought about voting Morbid Angel number one, then quickly came to my senses.
12.12.2011 - 03:56
@gent_-_orange

Written by HoleInTheSky1985 on 24.08.2011 at 14:48

Death is my pick, pounding record after pounding record. For about 1.7 seconds I thought about voting Morbid Angel number one, then quickly came to my senses.

So you did vote Morbid Angel then?
13.12.2011 - 05:28
Boxcar Willy
yr a kook

I WAS 12!!!!!!! for god sake. I understand now that I was wrong, I don't understand why you hate me so much? I'm sorry for the trouble I have caused you, I know I was an immature dumbass, and I understand how that would piss you off, I understand that the lyrical content does not make up a bands style.
I have matured since I was twelve, as most people would. I just want you to respect me.
----
14:22 - Marcel Hubregtse
I do your mum

DESTROY DRUM TRIGGERS
13.12.2011 - 05:35
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
Written by Boxcar Willy on 13.12.2011 at 05:28

I WAS 12!!!!!!! for god sake. I understand now that I was wrong, I don't understand why you hate me so much? I'm sorry for the trouble I have caused you, I know I was an immature dumbass, and I understand how that would piss you off, I understand that the lyrical content does not make up a bands style.
I have matured since I was twelve, as most people would. I just want you to respect me.

and this post was how old? 8 months? you needed to respond why?
----