03. Dawn Of Possession
04. Those Left Behind
05. Internal Decadence
06. No Forgiveness (Without Bloodshed)
07. Burial Ground
08. After My Prayers
09. Fall In Disease
10. Immolation

If you are a true Metal-head you already know this name, Immolation, a band known for their shocking and incredibly brutal music, a name praised for albums like "Unholy Cult" and "Close To a World Below". Though I can't really understand why albums like "Dawn Of Possession" were never eulogized by the scene; few people (mostly fans of the band) truly know that this album is one of their best works to date. Fortunately a Polish label called Metal Mind Productions Remastered and re-released this album for you to hear its marvelous music.

This record was originally released back in 1991; the overwhelming reality is that Dawn Of Possession remains effective to this day. The energy portrayed in this CD emanates greater things than most Death Metal albums released recently; songs like "Those Left Behind" are living demonstrations of Immolation's creativity and technicality that many of the "new" bands are (unsuccessfully) trying to depict nowadays.

The music is monstrously brutal, the atmosphere is really dark, the lyrics are blasphemous and the whole album is a crushing experience that will haunt your brain from the first day you hear it to the day you die. The overall instrumentation is, in a word, magnificent; we all know this band already, you know that you'll find all kind of percussive blasts, hyper-fast yet catchy drumming, intense guitar riffs, a lot of complex structures and intricate solos. The seventh track ("Burial Ground") is a great example of what I just wrote, this song blends all of those great elements and attacks the listener with an incendiary vibe from the beginning to the very end.

People used to criticize the production and rough audio, well [i]Dawn Of Possession[i] is now Remastered, you don't have any excuse, I mean, It's Immolation for heaven's sake; you don't need more reasons to buy this cult (and sadly underrated) masterpiece, just click on the link above and get it as soon as possible. Believe me; you HAVE to hear this album!!!

Best Tracks: "Those Left Behind", "Burial Ground", "Dawn Of Possession", "Immolation".

Rating breakdown
Performance: 9
Songwriting: 9
Originality: 9
Production: 9

Written by Herzebeth | 14.07.2006

Comments

Comments: 11   Visited by: 132 users
15.07.2006 - 06:25
Richard

Immolation is a great band, and Dawn of Possession is certainly a good debut, but not as unique and special as Immolation's other albums, IMO.
----
04.12.2006 - 01:53
Mega-Slayer

I think this is the best album recorded by Immolation,they are all good,but this left the biggest impression on me.It is so overlooked compared to most other death metal debuts,some of the greatest vocals are featured here,lots of superb technicality and relentless double-bass.Tracks I enjoy the most,"Those Left Behind","Immolation","After My Prayers" and "No Forgiveness".
----

Intestinally Punctured Smurf
02.01.2008 - 18:43
Rating: 9
Sunioj

Written by Mega-Slayer on 04.12.2006 at 01:53

I think this is the best album recorded by Immolation,they are all good,but this left the biggest impression on me.It is so overlooked compared to most other death metal debuts,some of the greatest vocals are featured here,lots of superb technicality and relentless double-bass.Tracks I enjoy the most,"Those Left Behind","Immolation","After My Prayers" and "No Forgiveness".

I agree, I love every second of this album, it just kicks so much ass.
08.11.2008 - 15:18
Rating: 8
Deadmeat
Necrobutcher
Although I don't like so much the production I find that album very very good. Despodant souls is my favorite track and also love the lyrics of Those Left behind...
----
Υou've sold your human essence to the cold world of dead and empty things... You're SOLD!
08.11.2008 - 19:20
theflyingmachine

Damn it looks like I am disagreeing with you everywhere...the production on DOP is one of my favorite aspects of the album. It is raw but relatively clear and without any real flaws (such as the drums being produced over the other instruments).
29.11.2008 - 02:23
Uirapuru
Liver Failure
I didnt like this album so much, just felt nothing while listening to it.. i know the quality is there, but couldnt enjoy as much as the ones who recommend it to me.. gotta check out Immolation other works thou, it is sure a very talented band.
----

----
member of the true crusade against old school heavy metal, early 80s thrash, NWOBHM, traditional doom, first and second wave black metal, old school death metal, US power metal, 70s prog rock and atmospheric doomsludgestoner. o/
19.03.2010 - 21:03
Maxx666
Meshuggahian
The production might have ruined some of the great feelings that are present in other Immolation album but, this album still kicks mighty ass.
Hail Immolation!!!
31.03.2011 - 03:18
You HAVE to listen to this album [2]
20.11.2011 - 04:48
Ploinky

Is there a safe (and legal) place to purchase a download of this album?
16.04.2013 - 03:36
mojo

Blew me away when I first heard it at my friend Martin's house in 1991. Still works, oh fuckyeah.
----
Yeah. No. Wait, what was the question?
21.07.2020 - 20:40
Rating: 9
sgtrobo

Written by Richard on 15.07.2006 at 06:25

Immolation is a great band, and Dawn of Possession is certainly a good debut, but not as unique and special as Immolation's other albums, IMO.

my thoughts exactly. World Below is arguably the best DM album ever released. I don't see how Dawn is even in the same league

#ThreadNecromancy

Hits total: 14385 | This month: 13