Metal Storm logo
What kind of metalhead are you at concerts?

Original post

Posted by BloodTears, 27.05.2009 - 12:03
This is meant to be funny and also it will be interesting to see where the majority lies. Also, a lot of people listen to metal and don't consider themselves metalheads, so I use that term as a general starting point, this is a metal forum after all.

I'll tell you, I'm a mix of the headbanger and the quiet listener. How about you?

Poll

What kind of metalhead are you at concerts?

The headbanger
The quiet listener
something else
The "I'm evil and you know it" dude
The badmouth spectator
The "I go there just to drink beer" dude

Total votes: 192
27.05.2009 - 22:49
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Man in Ullevi was many chicks, but stranger in a strang land, yes 2005 I was Stranger in a Strange Land way beck home Lolyness Of long Disctamce Runner

No way fuck Im stranger in Gotheburg nowdays. I knpow only Stockholm, Uppsala ,Lulea, Pite, Happaranda, Boden lil Orknsvik ehh MoDo town
Going to other towns to gig, its be still fidn venue etc its not so easy even in Swe , going to other country its more harder so , best gigs home gigs

BTW is Europe from Skelleftea towm?
----
I stand whit Ukraine and Israel. They have right to defend own citizens.

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
28.05.2009 - 02:38
Dangerboner
Lactation Cnslt
I don't think I can vote. Whether or not I go to a show by myself or with friends, I come early and watch every band. I also usually get belligerently drunk and act like a fucking idiot, and I always regret doing so because I can't remember everything about the show, but I always have fun. And I usually mosh... almost every time but I try not to act like too big of an asshole. If the crowd is a decent size, than I usually crowd surf too, but I don't kick anyone in the head.
28.05.2009 - 06:39
Fhuesc
Even tho im bald i like to headbang, jump and sing (specially when i dont know the lyrics). I must be pretty annoying to the others

EDIT: btw i think thius thread shoulb be on General and not here, since this isnt a battle... yet
----
Hasta la victoria, siempre!
Until victory, always!
28.05.2009 - 11:25
Valentin B
Iconoclast
Written by Dangerboner on 28.05.2009 at 02:38

I don't think I can vote. Whether or not I go to a show by myself or with friends, I come early and watch every band. I also usually get belligerently drunk and act like a fucking idiot, and I always regret doing so because I can't remember everything about the show, but I always have fun. And I usually mosh... almost every time but I try not to act like too big of an asshole. If the crowd is a decent size, than I usually crowd surf too, but I don't kick anyone in the head.

did you ever lose something while crowd surfing? aside from your consciousness

i'd like to crowd surf/stage dive but i'm scared all my shit will fall from my pockets lol
28.05.2009 - 12:36
BloodTears
ANA-thema
Elite
Written by K✞ulu on 27.05.2009 at 21:26

What's "I'm evil and you know it" dude?

It's the guy who's there trying to look scary and is arrogant towards other people. A lot of people do that.
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29

Like you could kiss my ass.

My Instagram
28.05.2009 - 12:38
BloodTears
ANA-thema
Elite
Sakis: girls or guys. Because when I'm there I see a lot of cute guys lol Anyway, it's all part of the concert vibe, meeting people. I always end up meeting people at concerts.
----

My Instagram
28.05.2009 - 13:58
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by BloodTears on 28.05.2009 at 12:38

Sakis: girls or guys. Because when I'm there I see a lot of cute guys lol Anyway, it's all part of the concert vibe, meeting people. I always end up meeting people at concerts.

sorry yes girls n guys
I agree even best place for meeting people is small gig 300-1000 not some 15 000 its be hard , werry hard, fiew people easyer start concat whit then.
----

apos;'
[image]
28.05.2009 - 16:04
Jan Destiny
Headbanging in the first row, That's the way!
...From the votes I see, most of us likes this way
----
"Fiction is the truth inside the lie" (Stephen King)
28.05.2009 - 16:47
Varjo Hauta
Account deleted
The quiet listener....well, maybe I little shake my metal fist. But, ya know....if Manowar says: "And the next fifteen minutes the beer is free!!" I'm the only one who stays in empty crowd. xP
28.05.2009 - 19:19
BloodTears
ANA-thema
Elite
So no-one badmouths the bands hein? Very well very well....
----

My Instagram
28.05.2009 - 19:25
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by BloodTears on 28.05.2009 at 19:19

So no-one badmouths the bands hein? Very well very well....

IMO there no need to be, if its metal event its metal event, its for metalhead, ok if some body come spiss me of, I can asnver, but ebst way is ignore assholes

Once I saw how 4 Hells Angels didnt alove 3 guys in arena, they was to trobles, they didnt lsiten security but wehn HA comes they shut up, well Hells Angels is law in Swe , more power how queen/king and gourement,

Damn if people go look for trobles they shood stay home IMO
----

apos;'
[image]
28.05.2009 - 19:36
Ernis
狼獾
Quiet listener...because after all I wish to listen and watch the musicians performing...there's no point in twitching around and jumping on other people all the time...that's sick...
For sure, I may start jumping around and stuff but this only happens if the band is very catchy and has powerful stage presence....and when I'm near stage....I usually won't get that feeling when standing 100 metres away from the stage on a field....
28.05.2009 - 22:53
Ragana
Rawrcat
Quote:

I have no fucking idea what the hell it means but it sounded good. Well... I AM evil.
28.05.2009 - 23:25
tulkas
el parcero
Written by Ragana on 28.05.2009 at 22:53

Quote:

I have no fucking idea what the hell it means but it sounded good. Well... I AM evil.

blood tears answered that one: "It's the guy who's there trying to look scary and is arrogant towards other people. A lot of people do that". so, it's the prick that sits in a corner trying to look tr00
----
love is like a jar of shit with a strawberry on top
28.05.2009 - 23:33
Andresopeth
I always try to push to get into front row and i have had success!
28.05.2009 - 23:41
Fat & Sassy!
Elite
Unless it's a band I can REALLY get into and freak-the-fuck-out to, I'm typically the quiet listener. Oh, I'm also the guy who claps when the I think the musician(s) deserve it (Like after a solo or something). For example, (this isn't really relative to a metal show but...) I went to this funk show, and the bassist jumped out in front and started slap & poopin one of the rawest groove I've ever heard in my life. When he was finished... I was the only one clapping.
29.05.2009 - 00:51
Dangerboner
Lactation Cnslt
Written by Valentin B on 28.05.2009 at 11:25

Written by Dangerboner on 28.05.2009 at 02:38

did you ever lose something while crowd surfing? aside from your consciousness

i'd like to crowd surf/stage dive but i'm scared all my shit will fall from my pockets lol

Yep, my wallet fell out of my back pocket on two separate occasions, but thankfully someone turned it in both times. Usually I give my stuff to my friend or girlfriend or I sometimes just hold it real tight in my hands, but when I get really drunk I forget sometimes lol.
29.05.2009 - 01:21
+{Jonas}+
I R Serious Cat
Quiet listener, even if sometimes I find myself singing along. Not too much of a headbanger really, and TH, I'm the less evil person in the world XD
----
"Nobody wants to be the weird kid, you just end up being the weird kid. You don't know how you ended up getting there" - Rob Zombie

http://jonas-bs.deviantart.com My dA, mainly photography, go check it out!
29.05.2009 - 02:50
Winterfog
Written by Andresopeth on 28.05.2009 at 23:33

I do the same! It's more fun to watch the band closer, even if you have to push other people... with alcohol that is easier hehe
29.05.2009 - 11:06
BloodTears
ANA-thema
Elite
I really need my space so I don't usually attempt to be at the front row. If you're there you can't breathe or move. I need space to headbang lol

I also sing a lot, especially when it's my favourite bands I always sing the songs from start to finish. It's nice when a lot of people do that, the atmosphere gets even better.
----

My Instagram
29.05.2009 - 14:55
Jan Destiny
Written by BloodTears on 29.05.2009 at 11:06

I really need my space so I don't usually attempt to be at the front row. If you're there you can't breathe or move. I need space to headbang lol

I also sing a lot, especially when it's my favourite bands I always sing the songs from start to finish. It's nice when a lot of people do that, the atmosphere gets even better.

You're right! When I saw Children Of Bodom, at Budapest, I moved back from the first-second row, because I haven't got any space. But in Smaller club-gigs It's not problem I think...

...And I also sing a lot on my favourtie band's concerts.It's great when you're in a smaller club and everyone sings along.
----
29.05.2009 - 14:57
Jan Destiny
Written by Winterfog on 29.05.2009 at 02:50

I do the same! It's more fun to watch the band closer, even if you have to push other people... with alcohol that is easier hehe

Yeah, that's True
----
29.05.2009 - 16:57
Andresopeth
Written by Winterfog on 29.05.2009 at 02:50

Yes!, i try not to drink too much before the concert to can remember everything after, but i always go with my camera to take some cool close pictures, in Epica's concert Mark Jansen jumped to the crowd and i could take a video of me holding him and both of us looking to the camera
29.05.2009 - 17:24
Valentin B
Iconoclast
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 27.05.2009 at 14:27

Written by Valentin B on 27.05.2009 at 14:20

true, but sometimes people need to go apeshit and think afterwards "damn, those guys controlled the stage!", i mean, if i attended a Priest gig and didn't stay at the front i might have noticed something bad like the guitars are turned way too low or something, or Rob's losing his voice (never the case, just giving examples ) and such disappointments would just cause a decline in my interest in the band. of course it's justified only when the band considered is among your favorites, i wouldn't care for example if Edguy or Helloween(which are bands from which i moderately like what i've heard thus far) had a horrible gig since i'll just say "ah well, they suck, what can you do?" but to go from "omg this band is awesome" to "they were SO disappointing when i saw them!" could be a bit extreme..

btw Marcel do/did you ever use earplugs? i want to try them out for the upcoming Manowar gig, i'll be at the very front and hate it when my ears ring for 3 days after the show. that way i can hear the instruments more clearly, be where the action is as far as fans are concerned, and not have horrible ringing ears/hearing problems the day after. and i am pretty sure Manowar can't disappoint me when they play, i'm used to Joey's retarded bass solos

Rob never losing his voice? This is an example of a quote that could only be given by someone who stands up close. Cause Rob's HAS deteriorated IMMENSELY over the years. He can't reach his high notes anymore and his low end also sounds dodgy (to put it mildly) and what is even more embarassing is that Rob has to read the lyrics for the songs of papaer and autocue nowadays.

i wasn't talking about "over the years", i was talking about his voice during the concert itself. he's always been constant whether it was awesome or he couldn't scream as much during the gig(and i've yet to hear a gig with him where he doesn't scream at all). also personally i love his voice in the past years, in the 80s concerts he sounded a bit too shrill but now he's extremely well rounded, and has got this raw smoky edge to his mid-range voice(which sounds more menacing than ever) and his screaming voice, while not as piercing and awesome as back in the day, is still pretty good and also has some of that razor-like edge sometimes.

gradually, 99% of vocalists lose their range, especially guys like Rob who utterly PUNISHED his vocal chords over 35 years, the only 2 (good) vocalists i can name for now who haven't clearly lost their voice over the course of 30 years or so are Biff Byford from Saxon and Dio. i have no idea what Biff does to keep his voice in shape but he's even better than on the 80s albums, and Dio doesn't do falsetto-like screaming(even though he's pretty resilient too)

EDIT i forgot, autocues and sheets of paper is just a general solution for when stuff like this happens : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R-4BthN-TjA check out at the 4:10 mark or something... pretty lame of him, but we all make mistakes..
30.05.2009 - 12:25
Powerslavex
Alexskywalker
I would like to sit back and enjoy the magic
30.05.2009 - 12:43
Hellkommando
I prefer to listen quietly, kickin' back and taking in the atmosphere and of course checking out the lovely ladies!
----

Formerly Desolate Gale
30.05.2009 - 15:29
Necrogeddon
Born Too Late
I usually just stand and listen, usually I end up swaying I can't help it, I don't naturally react to metal by headbanging, I sway...

I am all for other people having a good time at gigs, but I hate really drunk tall people who stand in front of me, and tip drink on me, it's just rude and kind of inconsiderate, seeing as it's not hard to miss me and I'm usually alone too...
----
'I wish you all had one neck and that I had my hands on it.'
30.05.2009 - 16:53
Krankheit
Account deleted
I more the quiet listener. Enjoying my beer and listen to the music.
30.05.2009 - 19:09
AiwiAstwihad
AiryanaKhvarenah
The invisible one at the moment....The phantom.
But if it ever happens, i think i'd be The quiet listener mostly. Or perhaps kind of a headbanger at times....
----
You who will come to the surface
From the flood that's overwhelmed us and drowned us all
Must think, when you speak of our weakness in times of darkness
That you've not had to face
30.05.2009 - 19:35
Sephiroth
Account deleted
The quiet listener.... I mostly just like to enjoy to see and hear the bands playing. But I have nothing against guys, who want to "headbang" at concerts. Maybe someday, when I'm older, i will headbang at gigs. Who knows. But at the moment, i just enjoy the atmosphere and seeing the band playing when I am at gigs.