Metal Storm logo
Dream Theater

09.06.2009 - 14:55
BloodTears
ANA-thema
New Dream Theater thread, the other one is deceased.

Let the discussion begin.
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29

Like you could kiss my ass.

My Instagram
09.06.2009 - 14:58
BloodTears
ANA-thema
Continuing the previous discussion, I also heard a lot of negative criticism and it's a sorta deja vu because when SC came out everybody killed it and I ended up loving the album (it also grew on me).

I'll try my best to not be influenced by that although I read some reviews and opinions about the album.
----

My Instagram
09.06.2009 - 17:45
RockeRoy

Well i think the album is briliant, different but still briliant.. i think the songs on Black clouds.... is a little less memorable than their previous works at first.. exept for some of the choruses like in The best of times, but Dream theater albums are suposed to be listend to as a whole, at least that is the way it is for me, and as a whole album i think it is briliant. Can't wait to see them play some of the new songs 26.September.
----
You found god? If nobody claims him in thirty days, he's yours

Walk with me in hell
15.06.2009 - 21:43
BloodTears
ANA-thema
Anyone saw them at Download? From the videos I watched, Labrie's voice was kinda off and I usually like his voice live, unlike most people lol

Almost there, thursday's coming.
----

My Instagram
15.06.2009 - 22:31
Valentin B
Iconoclast
Written by BloodTears on 15.06.2009 at 21:43

Anyone saw them at Download? From the videos I watched, Labrie's voice was kinda off and I usually like his voice live, unlike most people lol

yeah, his voice is pretty fucked up even on the more recent studio tracks(on which the guitar work is far too Pantera-like for me)... that combined with the fact that Kevin Moore left the band many years ago almost kills my whole interest in DT... at least their newer albums
16.06.2009 - 07:19
Kap'N Korrupt
Account deleted
Dream Theater is pissing me off lately...their new album sucks...
17.06.2009 - 17:39
BloodTears
ANA-thema
Written by Guest on 16.06.2009 at 07:19

Did you like Systematic Chaos?
----

My Instagram
17.06.2009 - 21:39
Dane Train
Beers & Kilts
Written by Guest on 16.06.2009 at 07:19

Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo! [/Luke Skywalker]

I am waiting for my vinyl copy before I listen to it. I'm sure I am still going to like it, but in what manner, not sure.
----
(space for rent)
18.06.2009 - 18:31
Disruptard
Account deleted
I used to listen alot to Dream Theater before, but I don't really like their latest stuff.
Really enjoyed Train of Thought though, but lately they've been moving away from their old style and I don't like their "new" sound.
Their old sound was way more unique.
18.06.2009 - 20:04
Kap'N Korrupt
Account deleted
@BloodTears: Yes I liked Systematic Chaos...Systematic Chaos had some really kickass songs on it...some hard and heavy fast paced licks...unfortunately with that album, a demo leaked before it came out on the internet which sounded a million times better than what was on the album itself...and I even liked Labrie's voice too...it started out great too, just like their new album...the first song on the new album man holy fuck! what a great track! I'm really sorry for all this spoiler you know? But I feel like I just have to...Wither is their worst song EVER...they just get kinda way too poppy progressive metal...
@Dane: Well, it was bound to happen...you'll probably like it anyway
18.06.2009 - 20:33
Zelse

I think Wither is a beautiful, wonderful song. I love the new album, and although I can't yet tell if it will age well or not, I have a feeling it will be received much better than Systematic Chaos was. The worst song on the new album is easily A Rite of Passage, bleh.
19.06.2009 - 11:32
K✞ulu
Seeker of Truth
Wow, I don't get it. So many people don't like A Rite of Passage. For me it is the best song on the album.
----
Savor what you feel and what you see
Things that may not seem important now
But may be tomorrow

R.I.P. Chuck Schuldiner

Satan was a Backstreet Boy
19.06.2009 - 16:29
Zelse

It's just too commercial for Dream Theater.. It has a predictable format and it just sounds like they took In The Name of God and revised it. It's not a bad song, but compared to the rest of the songs it pales in comparison, in my opinion. The solos rule, but up until then it's just kind of bland.
19.06.2009 - 17:23
BloodTears
ANA-thema
I spoke to a lot of people at DT's concert yesterday that actually loved the album.

I'm optimistic, just hope it arrives fast.
----

My Instagram
19.06.2009 - 18:51
Dane Train
Beers & Kilts
I found this really interesting when it comes to the debate about Dream Theater and putting out new music.

----
(space for rent)
20.06.2009 - 02:44
Dangerboner
Lactation Cnslt
How do you guys feel about Dream Theater using stuff from old songs in their new material? I find it annoying. For example, on the song Repentance from Systematic Chaos, they use parts from The Dying Soul, and they also did stuff like that on Octavarium and Black Clouds & Silver Linings.

I listened to most of the new album on YouTube and I don't like it at all. Sure it's heavy, but nothing really interested me. I think I remember liking one song near the middle, and a few parts on a couple of songs could potentially grow on me, but overall I'm disappointed. Systematic Chaos is better to me.
20.06.2009 - 02:51
Zelse

The only songs that reuse parts from older material have been the 12-step suite songs, and it makes sense because all of them connect to one another and make an entire concept album by themselves. They all go over one theme, so it's good to have the similarities. It's like one long song, like Six Degrees, but more consistent. That's how I feel, anyway.
20.06.2009 - 02:54
Dangerboner
Lactation Cnslt
Ok thanks, I had been wondering about that since Octavarium was released and I was sure there was a reason.
20.06.2009 - 13:01
RockeRoy

Is it posible for Dream theater to play like they do when they are 60?
----

Walk with me in hell
20.06.2009 - 16:46
BloodTears
ANA-thema
Probably not, they already stopped playing 3 hours show as far as I know, that says something.
----

My Instagram
20.06.2009 - 16:48
Zelse

Rudess is in his early 50s, the other guys are mid-40s, if I recall correctly. Sure LaBrie can't sing like he used to, but he can still sing a lot of newer and older material that isn't too hard on the high vocals. And the other guys play better than ever.
20.06.2009 - 17:30
BloodTears
ANA-thema
But times does take its toll. I'm not saying they will lose their ability to play but they need to slow down as the years pass by.
----

My Instagram
20.06.2009 - 19:08
Valentin B
Iconoclast
Sorry to be a modern Dream Theater party crasher (yet again ) but i think James LaBrie has lost his voice over the years(and he's way younger than other vocalists who are doing just fine)... either that or i can't personally explain this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uxchg8E3FBE

hilariousness aside, when he goes "what's that smell of farting" he's almost something like "wawlawalalwalwalawl" and his voice is pretty annoying

also he sounds pretty much the same here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3k2dD_6maJc&feature=related
20.06.2009 - 19:23
BloodTears
ANA-thema
I can tell you that his voice was excellent in their gig here in Lisbon. He's not losing his voice, but you have a lot of bad videos of him on the internet, so it's easy to judge.

I even thought he didn't sing very well at their Download show but the true is that he blew me away here, maybe something was happening.
----

My Instagram
20.06.2009 - 20:12
RockeRoy

Written by Valentin B on 20.06.2009 at 19:08

Sorry to be a modern Dream Theater party crasher (yet again ) but i think James LaBrie has lost his voice over the years(and he's way younger than other vocalists who are doing just fine)... either that or i can't personally explain this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uxchg8E3FBE

hilariousness aside, when he goes "what's that smell of farting" he's almost something like "wawlawalalwalwalawl" and his voice is pretty annoying

also he sounds pretty much the same here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3k2dD_6maJc&feature=related

I don'tink he sings that bad at all in those videos, i've heard him worse han that.
----

Walk with me in hell
21.06.2009 - 06:38
Zelse

Not to derail, but that's the first time I've honestly ever noticed Rudess expanding upon a keyboard part that was written before him being in the band (in the Pull Me Under video). I don't know if I like it or not - on one hand, I love that Rudess brings his own flavor to the thing while still being able to keep the feel of the song and specific part, but then again, it's not how the song is supposed to be. Hm...

As for LaBrie, I think his problem is that his voice turns into a squeal/unintelligible wail when he tries to sing the high notes. The words become a string of gibberish that's hard to understand and the notes themselves are kind of squeaky and weird (see Blind Faith and especially Surrounded on the Chaos In Motion DVD). However, he still sings great.
21.06.2009 - 11:31
tulkas
el parcero
Written by Zelse on 21.06.2009 at 06:38

As for LaBrie, I think his problem is that his voice turns into a squeal/unintelligible wail when he tries to sing the high notes. The words become a string of gibberish that's hard to understand and the notes themselves are kind of squeaky and weird (see Blind Faith and especially Surrounded on the Chaos In Motion DVD). However, he still sings great.

Yes, that's the problem I've with LaBrie all the time. When he has to go up with his voice, it sounds... wrong. Like he's trying too hard because he can't do it or something. But aside from that, I like his voice, specially because it sounds the same live as it does on the albums. At least when I saw them live it did, but I just saw them that one time, so... maybe people who have seen them more times would differ.
----
love is like a jar of shit with a strawberry on top
22.06.2009 - 02:21
Kap'N Korrupt
Account deleted
Wow...that video...Portnoy says 'ya know' a lot haha...and yeah, about their 'bubble'...their new album for me is them trying to get commercial and attack the audience outside of the bubble...

@Zelze: Labrie is the nightmare of Dream Theater haha...can't stand him one bit...
22.06.2009 - 10:52
tulkas
el parcero
Written by Guest on 22.06.2009 at 02:21

@Zelze: Labrie is the nightmare of Dream Theater haha...can't stand him one bit...

Yes. A lot of people I know that don't like DT say it's because of LaBrie, they hate his voice in general. And the ones that like the band, praise everyone but always have a thing or two 'against' LaBrie. On a side note, I really liked Dominici more, and probably why I like When Dream & Day Unite a lot.
----
love is like a jar of shit with a strawberry on top
22.06.2009 - 11:47
BloodTears
ANA-thema
As far as I know Dominici wasn't great live either, that's why the guys wanted a new vocalist. But I like his voice a lot. I admit I prefer Labrie's voice though
----

My Instagram