Metal Storm logo
Dream Theater

Original post

Posted by BloodTears, 09.06.2009 - 14:55
New Dream Theater thread, the other one is deceased.

Let the discussion begin.
10.06.2012 - 19:08
Milena
gloom cookie
Written by Guest on 10.06.2012 at 10:20

Rainy day today - spent watching Dream Theater DVD's

James is really good in this, imo.

I'm working on a new list featuring my favorite singers and a list of reasons of why I like them, with links to performances where they've shown some badassery... I'm thinking of just putting that ACOS performance for James, because it's diverse enough to show everything he can do on a good day. Plus it's the best DT song ever.
----
7.0 means the album is good
11.06.2012 - 09:03
oblong
Account deleted
Written by Milena on 10.06.2012 at 19:08

Written by Guest on 10.06.2012 at 10:20

Rainy day today - spent watching Dream Theater DVD's

James is really good in this, imo.

I'm working on a new list featuring my favorite singers and a list of reasons of why I like them, with links to performances where they've shown some badassery... I'm thinking of just putting that ACOS performance for James, because it's diverse enough to show everything he can do on a good day. Plus it's the best DT song ever.

He absolutely smashes it and I agree it is definitely one of their best songs, if not the best (as mentioned).

I also think he is quite good in Trial of Tears on the Budokan DVD, in many ways I almost prefer the Live version of that song - in comparison to the studio version. link

That is a great idea for a list though! I look forward to seeing who makes the cut.
11.06.2012 - 09:05
oblong
Account deleted
Creating a list of DT's best Instrumentals (in order), would be a pretty difficult task...
13.06.2012 - 03:04
Azarath
Free as a.. Fish
Written by Guest on 11.06.2012 at 09:05

Creating a list of DT's best Instrumentals (in order), would be a pretty difficult task...

Challenge accepted!

1. Erotomania
2. Hell's Kitchen
3. Overture 1928
4. The Ytse Jam
5. The Dance of Eternity
6. Stream of Consciousness

On the topic of the Metropolis 2000 / Live Scenes release: LaBrie's vocals are overdubbed (according to Portnoy). Sometimes the camera focuses on other stuff when he sings something more demanding. It bothers me.

A Change of Seasons is in my Dream Theater top 3.
13.06.2012 - 04:24
oblong
Account deleted
Written by Azarath on 13.06.2012 at 03:04

Written by Guest on 11.06.2012 at 09:05

Challenge accepted!

1. Erotomania
2. Hell's Kitchen
3. Overture 1928
4. The Ytse Jam
5. The Dance of Eternity
6. Stream of Consciousness

On the topic of the Metropolis 2000 / Live Scenes release: LaBrie's vocals are overdubbed (according to Portnoy). Sometimes the camera focuses on other stuff when he sings something more demanding. It bothers me.

A Change of Seasons is in my Dream Theater top 3.

Well that sucks, all well - it certainly annoys me as well.

Your instrumental list is pretty much exactly the same as mine! (only a 'slight' change in order)

New challenge - favourite Liquid Tension Experiment tracks : )
13.06.2012 - 13:27
Milena
gloom cookie
Written by Azarath on 13.06.2012 at 03:04

LaBrie's vocals are overdubbed (according to Portnoy)

I think you mixed that up with Live At The Marquee perhaps? I don't remember reading anywhere that the vocs on Metropolis (or however you'd like to call it, it has a fuckin long name ) were overdubbed.

One of the posters on their forums stated, and I think he was correct: Dream Theater overdubs a bit more than what they tell us, but less than other bands. They were always pretty open about overdubbing certain stuff and I like that about them. "Oh yeah, we didn't like the way the vocals sounded on LATM so James went in the studio and re-did the whole thing". Reading that was a cool moment for me for some reason.

I agree with your list of instrumentals, except I'd put Hell's Kitchen first for emotional reasons and switch SoC with TDOE.
----
15.06.2012 - 02:55
Azarath
Free as a.. Fish
I'm quite surprised people (sort of) agree with my list of instrumentals. Plenty of people seem to go crazy over The Dance of Eternity - "the time signatures, man"! I haven't really listened to enough Liquid Tension Experiment to have an opinion there.
Written by Milena on 13.06.2012 at 13:27

I think you mixed that up with Live At The Marquee perhaps? I don't remember reading anywhere that the vocs on Metropolis (or however you'd like to call it, it has a fuckin long name ) were overdubbed.

I didn't know they had confirmed overdubbing Live at the Marquee. It's been forever since I read about Metropolis 2000: (Live) Scenes from New York ( ) having overdubs - I checked it out and I was wrong, apparently he was talking about Petrucci's vocals. Link:
Quote:
MP: John's vox on Live Scenes From New York were overdubbed and mine were the original live ones... (the only one of John's that weren't overdubbed is the bridge of Through Her Eyes because we were sharing a mic....and that high, cracking harmony was NOT me!!*cough*)

I'm pretty sure there are LaBrie overdubs on there though, with his voice problems and everything. I don't think I've ever watched the whole thing, at least not in one setting. I should do something about that. Anyway, a certain amount of overdubs is probably unavoidable.
15.06.2012 - 12:59
oblong
Account deleted
Written by Azarath on 15.06.2012 at 02:55

I'm quite surprised people (sort of) agree with my list of instrumentals. Plenty of people seem to go crazy over The Dance of Eternity - "the time signatures, man"! I haven't really listened to enough Liquid Tension Experiment to have an opinion there.
Written by Milena on 13.06.2012 at 13:27

I didn't know they had confirmed overdubbing Live at the Marquee. It's been forever since I read about Metropolis 2000: (Live) Scenes from New York ( ) having overdubs - I checked it out and I was wrong, apparently he was talking about Petrucci's vocals. Link:
Quote:
MP: John's vox on Live Scenes From New York were overdubbed and mine were the original live ones... (the only one of John's that weren't overdubbed is the bridge of Through Her Eyes because we were sharing a mic....and that high, cracking harmony was NOT me!!*cough*)

I'm pretty sure there are LaBrie overdubs on there though, with his voice problems and everything. I don't think I've ever watched the whole thing, at least not in one setting. I should do something about that. Anyway, a certain amount of overdubs is probably unavoidable.

Watching the Metropolis DVD again, trying to find some evidence of dubbing etc. - but I ended up giving up, I wasn't enjoying myself

However it does seem to be there, but its kind of hard to tell because of the age/style of the recording - it doesn't really bother me that much, the facial expressions of the group is entertaining enough.
15.06.2012 - 13:32
Milena
gloom cookie

Plenty of people seem to go crazy over The Dance of Eternity - "the time signatures, man"! I haven't really listened to enough Liquid Tension Experiment to have an opinion there.

I didn't know they had confirmed overdubbing Live at the Marquee. It's been forever since I read about Metropolis 2000: (Live) Scenes from New York ( ) having overdubs - I checked it out and I was wrong, apparently he was talking about Petrucci's vocals.

Yeah, I'm not too crazy about The Dance. I like watching them perform it live, but it's not something that entices me as a listen. It has its place on Scenes, but I don't think I've ever played it over and over again like some other instrumentals. And I'm also one of those DT fans who never listened to Liquid Tension, though I remember liking Paradigm Shift, that tune was pretty neat.

It's no wonder they had overdubbed Petrucci's vocals, he was pretty horrible in singing backing vocals back then I remember them talking on commentary of Live In Tokyo, during Pull Me Under, and I think Mike brought up "yeah no one was singing backing vocals back then. The insult is implied" and then they all laughed. I liked it how that "insult" could go both ways - how JLB didn't need someone to back him up back in the day, and how no one in DT besides JLB could actually sing back in the day as well.

Yeah, there probably were some, though he was pretty smart with his voice on that show - to save some oomph for ACOS, he de-intensified some parts of Voices and left out the F# on Learning To Live.

Speaking of facial expressions... Petrucci during A Change Of Seasons. I shall say no more. I'm not sure whether he used some "substances" back in the day or was he just that fuckin' crazy (his part starts around 2:00, although the rest is pretty worth watching as well... Rudess and LaBrie gave me a chuckle)
----
16.06.2012 - 06:55
oblong
Account deleted
Written by Milena on 15.06.2012 at 13:32

Plenty of people seem to go crazy over The Dance of Eternity - "the time signatures, man"! I haven't really listened to enough Liquid Tension Experiment to have an opinion there.

I didn't know they had confirmed overdubbing Live at the Marquee. It's been forever since I read about Metropolis 2000: (Live) Scenes from New York ( ) having overdubs - I checked it out and I was wrong, apparently he was talking about Petrucci's vocals.

Yeah, I'm not too crazy about The Dance. I like watching them perform it live, but it's not something that entices me as a listen. It has its place on Scenes, but I don't think I've ever played it over and over again like some other instrumentals. And I'm also one of those DT fans who never listened to Liquid Tension, though I remember liking Paradigm Shift, that tune was pretty neat.

It's no wonder they had overdubbed Petrucci's vocals, he was pretty horrible in singing backing vocals back then I remember them talking on commentary of Live In Tokyo, during Pull Me Under, and I think Mike brought up "yeah no one was singing backing vocals back then. The insult is implied" and then they all laughed. I liked it how that "insult" could go both ways - how JLB didn't need someone to back him up back in the day, and how no one in DT besides JLB could actually sing back in the day as well.

Yeah, there probably were some, though he was pretty smart with his voice on that show - to save some oomph for ACOS, he de-intensified some parts of Voices and left out the F# on Learning To Live.

Speaking of facial expressions... Petrucci during A Change Of Seasons. I shall say no more. I'm not sure whether he used some "substances" back in the day or was he just that fuckin' crazy (his part starts around 2:00, although the rest is pretty worth watching as well... Rudess and LaBrie gave me a chuckle)

That clip is great! - Petrucci is a legend in my eyes, he always seems so happy and content.
It would have been awesome to have been in their presence in those days, just to sit and watch them do stuff

Liquid Tension is worth listening to, imo - great music for when you're doing things, or sitting around.
It can become a bit too much after awhile though, but there are some great tracks.
16.06.2012 - 09:13
Milena
gloom cookie
Written by Guest on 16.06.2012 at 06:55

It would have been awesome to have been in their presence in those days, just to sit and watch them do stuff

Liquid Tension is worth listening to, imo - great music for when you're doing things, or sitting around.
It can become a bit too much after awhile though, but there are some great tracks.

I kind of have the desire to hang around most of my favorite bands, since they're all cool guys.

Yeah, I dig instrumental stuff and have no problem with technicality, nor unexpected shizz being thrown at me, but I rarely have the patience to sit through several albums of that. Still, it's all decent stuff.

Edit: Apparently they've figured out we've grown attached to JLB's forklift so now they're bringing it back. Dear lord. Crazy old people.
----
17.06.2012 - 04:39
oblong
Account deleted
Written by Milena on 16.06.2012 at 09:13

Written by Guest on 16.06.2012 at 06:55

I kind of have the desire to hang around most of my favorite bands, since they're all cool guys.

Yeah, I dig instrumental stuff and have no problem with technicality, nor unexpected shizz being thrown at me, but I rarely have the patience to sit through several albums of that. Still, it's all decent stuff.

Edit: Apparently they've figured out we've grown attached to JLB's forklift so now they're bringing it back. Dear lord. Crazy old people.

I was convinced that they would be coming to Australia this year, but they are not
It's funny how much softer Myung's voice is compared to the others on the first video.
Gotta love the forklift though they are quite fun to drive.
17.06.2012 - 09:42
Milena
gloom cookie
Written by Guest on 17.06.2012 at 04:39

It's funny how much softer Myung's voice is compared to the others on the first video.

Portnoy was by far the loudest in the band, and Myung is the quietest.
Gotta love JR's and JLB's poker face in that video, if it were me I'd burst into laughter a million times. I wonder is it the same forklift from the first video?
"How do the rest of you guys travel?
- Oh, plains, cars and stuff!
- Is it scary?"
Also, this is not related to Dream Theater, but the way you phrased that sentence makes me think you casually drive forklifts
----
18.06.2012 - 08:07
oblong
Account deleted
Written by Milena on 17.06.2012 at 09:42

Written by Guest on 17.06.2012 at 04:39

Portnoy was by far the loudest in the band, and Myung is the quietest.
Gotta love JR's and JLB's poker face in that video, if it were me I'd burst into laughter a million times. I wonder is it the same forklift from the first video?
"How do the rest of you guys travel?
- Oh, plains, cars and stuff!
- Is it scary?"
Also, this is not related to Dream Theater, but the way you phrased that sentence makes me think you casually drive forklifts

Haha! @ Is it Scary ?
I'm pretty sure it's the same forklift, looks to be the same.
All I know is that if you were to drive it on the road, it would be a very bumpy ride.
James is right though; it is very much like driving a car, so it is easy to look fairly casual

Production is Awesome ! The Songs are Awesome ! The Band is Awesome !
We are Awesome ! You are Awesome ! We're going to be Awesome !
03.07.2012 - 19:27
Unhealer
Eclecticist
Next DVD will be filmed here in Buenos Aires it seems! I don't think I will be attending, the setlist doesn't convince me and they stopped the rotative setlists when Portnoy left...
04.07.2012 - 01:37
Milena
gloom cookie
Written by Unhealer on 03.07.2012 at 19:27

Next DVD will be filmed here in Buenos Aires it seems! I don't think I will be attending, the setlist doesn't convince me and they stopped the rotative setlists when Portnoy left...

Yeah, it's not out in the public yet but they've confirmed it a couple of times when they talked to fans. Yeah, I get it if you don't want to see them this tour - if I didn't like them as much as I do, I probably wouldn't want to get bored by ADTOE songs either still, this one is probably going to differ from the rest because it's a DVD shooting, and the fact that there are no rotating setlists would only be detrimental if you were going to see several shows in a row.
----
04.07.2012 - 03:22
Unhealer
Eclecticist
Written by Milena on 04.07.2012 at 01:37

and the fact that there are no rotating setlists would only be detrimental if you were going to see several shows in a row.

I know, what I meant is that there is no chance of them playing another set than the one I checked a few days back. Buuuuuuut, I just saw an interview where they say they will be filming both nights, could that mean they'll play a different set each night? Also, as you said, they could do something especial for the shooting...
Well, I might just go since a couple of friends will be there and the tickets are surprisingly not expensive.
04.07.2012 - 09:15
Milena
gloom cookie
Written by Unhealer on 04.07.2012 at 03:22

I know, what I meant is that there is no chance of them playing another set than the one I checked a few days back. Buuuuuuut, I just saw an interview where they say they will be filming both nights, could that mean they'll play a different set each night? Also, as you said, they could do something especial for the shooting...
Well, I might just go since a couple of friends will be there and the tickets are surprisingly not expensive.

I'm kind of in a process of figuring out what will the two nights mean, but I believe it means that the two sets will be at least 50% different.

To be honest, it's Dream Theater and all and that's all nice, but I don't think I'll ever have a chance to go to any show that's being shot for a DVD, and when I see someone that's hesitant to do so, it baffles me
----
04.07.2012 - 15:46
Unhealer
Eclecticist
Written by Milena on 04.07.2012 at 09:15

To be honest, it's Dream Theater and all and that's all nice, but I don't think I'll ever have a chance to go to any show that's being shot for a DVD, and when I see someone that's hesitant to do so, it baffles me

Meh, I don't see the shooting as anything special if they won't play a special show for it or something. Yeah, it would be fun to appear somewhere on the DVD and it's nice that they choose your country and blah blah blah, but I don't feel right going "just because they'll shoot a DVD".

I was at the show Roger Waters recorded for a DVD and he only asked us to put on a mask they gave us during a song. Iron Maiden also told us before the show they would record a DVD here because last tour we were the best crowd and stuff; and then months later they announce the live in Chile DVD And there was nothing special about that show either.
04.07.2012 - 16:13
Milena
gloom cookie
Written by Unhealer on 04.07.2012 at 15:46

And there was nothing special about that show either.

Oh well, at least I can cross that out from the list of my metal dreams I'll probably never fulfill, because it doesn't sound awesome enough to be in line with the rest of them.

Looking at the setlist, apart from playing ADTOE songs, which I dislike, they're also playing The Dark Eternal And Meh Night and The Equally Meh Root Of All Evil and two of my least favorite SDOIT movements, so that's four more songs I wouldn't want to see on a show I'm attending. And yet I'd kill to attend their gig, and gigs of several other bands too if the situation were the same in regards to their setlists.

Let's move to Germany or something and get gigs more often so we can pick.
----
04.07.2012 - 16:22
Unhealer
Eclecticist
Written by Milena on 04.07.2012 at 16:13

Let's move to Germany or something and get gigs more often so we can pick.

I'll start saving money Wacken would be a metal dream for me.
22.07.2012 - 02:24
Azarath
Free as a.. Fish
This upcoming DVD should be very interesting. During my last struggle with ADTOE I came to the conclusion that the main problem with it is the flat production. Sure, there are other problems as well (some songs are... bland) but it's odd to hear Dream Theater with the drums pushed way back in the mix. Back in the day, with Portnoy being co-producer (and Portnoy being Portnoy), the drums were always upfront, pushing the songs and performances forward. In comparison ADTOE just sounds dull. Anyway, they've performed every song from the new album live, so I'm guessing we can look forward to pretty much the whole thing showing up over the course of the two nights. Which could be a good thing, having the live sound breathe some life into these songs. They sure need it. I'm hoping for an interesting mix of older songs as well, of course.

In other news, a couple of weeks ago I listened to Scenes from a Memory, then watched the Metropolis 2000 concert, listened to the audio commentary and then watched the Behind the Scenes and Deleted Scenes extras. Clearly I need to get a fucking life.

What I learned (again) is that DT has the most annoying fans in the world, and for some reason every DVD has a documentary with fans gushing over the band. "All the band members are gods on their instruments!" Now, if you buy a DT DVD you're probably already somewhat of a fan so what's the point of those fan interviews? Was that another "Portnoy is in need of validation" thing?
22.07.2012 - 02:56
Milena
gloom cookie
Written by Azarath on 22.07.2012 at 02:24

This upcoming DVD should be very interesting. During my last struggle with ADTOE I came to the conclusion that the main problem with it is the flat production. Sure, there are other problems as well (some songs are... bland) but it's odd to hear Dream Theater with the drums pushed way back in the mix. Back in the day, with Portnoy being co-producer (and Portnoy being Portnoy), the drums were always upfront, pushing the songs and performances forward. In comparison ADTOE just sounds dull. Anyway, they've performed every song from the new album live, so I'm guessing we can look forward to pretty much the whole thing showing up over the course of the two nights. Which could be a good thing, having the live sound breathe some life into these songs. They sure need it. I'm hoping for an interesting mix of older songs as well, of course.

In other news, a couple of weeks ago I listened to Scenes from a Memory, then watched the Metropolis 2000 concert, listened to the audio commentary and then watched the Behind the Scenes and Deleted Scenes extras. Clearly I need to get a fucking life.

What I learned (again) is that DT has the most annoying fans in the world, and for some reason every DVD has a documentary with fans gushing over the band. "All the band members are gods on their instruments!" Now, if you buy a DT DVD you're probably already somewhat of a fan so what's the point of those fan interviews? Was that another "Portnoy is in need of validation" thing?

It should be very interesting; the setlists for the two nights will definitely vary, and they've been digging up some ultra cool old stuff since the last time I posted on this thread (even played To Live Forever! fuck! TO LIVE FOREVER), and bringing guests with them as well - brought Tony Levin the other night for a version of Paradigm Shift! What we have also learned is that James is now in charge of Ytse Jam Records and that several shows have so far been taped and there are bootlegs in the works. I hope for the High Voltage show to be the next YJR release, since it was pretty fab.

I love your DVD commentary reference in the second paragraph ^^

Yes, completely the most annoying fans in the world!I've met a lot of amaaazing people over at Dream Theater forums, but the "regular" fanbase is almost like a mirror image of that. While I do "fan out" and gush over bands I adore, collect ridiculous pieces of info on them, I'm not the one to call out people on their behavior... but, guys they're not fuckin' gods. They've issued average-to-bad albums and fucking repulsive songs, they've played false notes and they've made some pretty bad decisions. That doesn't change the fact that I adore them, and likewise, the fact that I adore them doesn't affect my judgment of them.
----
22.07.2012 - 05:49
Unhealer
Eclecticist
And they played 21st Century Schizoid Man with Tony also...
I heard rumors they might play the full new album for the DVD, but fuck it, I'm definitely going to that DVD shooting.
22.07.2012 - 12:54
Milena
gloom cookie
Written by Unhealer on 22.07.2012 at 05:49

And they played 21st Century Schizoid Man with Tony also...
I heard rumors they might play the full new album for the DVD, but fuck it, I'm definitely going to that DVD shooting.

They will be playing it, but over the course of two nights (that's the theory), so unless you go to both, you'll see half of it. You go dude. It's always silly to miss a concert, believe me.
----
22.07.2012 - 17:32
Unhealer
Eclecticist
That would be a reasonable thing to do.
Ok, I'll go. If they play the whole album the night I go and then all the classics on the other one, then I know this is definitely not my lucky year.
22.07.2012 - 20:14
Milena
gloom cookie
Written by Unhealer on 22.07.2012 at 17:32

Ok, I'll go. If they play the whole album the night I go and then all the classics on the other one, then I know this is definitely not my lucky year.

Nah, that would be unlike them - they'll probably mix it in reasonable amounts.

Sheesh what the hell am I saying? Nah, you understand me, nevermind
----
24.07.2012 - 01:34
Azarath
Free as a.. Fish
Written by Milena on 22.07.2012 at 02:56

It should be very interesting; the setlists for the two nights will definitely vary, and they've been digging up some ultra cool old stuff since the last time I posted on this thread (even played To Live Forever! fuck! TO LIVE FOREVER), and bringing guests with them as well - brought Tony Levin the other night for a version of Paradigm Shift! What we have also learned is that James is now in charge of Ytse Jam Records and that several shows have so far been taped and there are bootlegs in the works. I hope for the High Voltage show to be the next YJR release, since it was pretty fab.

I love your DVD commentary reference in the second paragraph ^^

Yes, completely the most annoying fans in the world!I've met a lot of amaaazing people over at Dream Theater forums, but the "regular" fanbase is almost like a mirror image of that. While I do "fan out" and gush over bands I adore, collect ridiculous pieces of info on them, I'm not the one to call out people on their behavior... but, guys they're not fuckin' gods. They've issued average-to-bad albums and fucking repulsive songs, they've played false notes and they've made some pretty bad decisions. That doesn't change the fact that I adore them, and likewise, the fact that I adore them doesn't affect my judgment of them.

They played To Live Forever? I had no idea. I did see the interview with James where he talked about Ytse Jam and his enthusiasm about the plans for the next DVD certainly raised my expectations. I can't help but wonder what they're going to dig up and pull out, especially since the current set list looks quite boring.

A hilarious comment from LaBrie. And after having spent an entire Saturday evening listening to Dream Theater it seemed rather fitting to throw that in there.

Indeed. While I love everything they did between '92 and '02 and confess to having an unhealthy relationship with '92 to '95 they're hardly gods. Their decidedly average output since Six Degrees should be proof of that. ADTOE might be worse than just average. I still have no idea. Anyway, now it's your turn to list some of these "fucking repulsive songs". Sounds like it might be interesting.
26.07.2012 - 08:18
oblong
Account deleted
I squirm whenever I hear Forsaken, or most of the Systematic Chaos album - I've been trying to like this release for years.
29.07.2012 - 17:34
Milena
gloom cookie
Written by Azarath on 24.07.2012 at 01:34

Anyway, now it's your turn to list some of these "fucking repulsive songs". Sounds like it might be interesting.

Hmmm. In order of appearance:
1. New Millenium. Not exactly fucking repulsive but probably the worst opener ever.
2. You Not Me. Although some people say us snobby Dream Theater fans would have no problem with it if it were John Petrucci and not Desmond Child who had been credited for the song, I have a problem with the song. It's awful, period
3. Never Enough. Don't need to explain. Taking influence is okay, but when it doesn't sound like DT anymore, AND when it sounds like a band I dislike, of course I'm going to hate it.
4. Prophets Of War, as Never Enough v.2
5. The Best Of Times. Well, okay, not fucking repulsive either, but a really poor, sappy realization. I dig DT radio ballads but gimme a break.
6. Raw Dog

The only ADTOE song I've listened to enough to determine whether I really hate it or just don't want to listen to it is Build Me Up, Break Me Down. It might go down well, especially at live shows, if it weren't for the You Not Me-ish lyrics. I'm not usually a lyrics-nazi but if you make me feel like an idiot for singing along, I'll refuse.

Songs I don't particularly care for:
Honor Thy Father, The Answer Lies Within, Panic Attack, Sacrificed Sons, Forsaken, ITPOE (both parts; they're okay musically but not for my taste), A Nightmare To Remember (day after day ), A Rite Of Passage, everything off ADTOE save of On The Backs Of Angels, Lost Not Forgotten and Breaking All Illusions. I'm getting better, I can tolerate LNF now! Actually a pretty cool rocker when you make it past the tickle section.

Songs I mostly dislike but they come off well on live releases:
War Inside My Head, The Test That Stumped Them All (only when surrounded by the rest of SDOIT though), The Root Of All Evil, Constant Motion, The Dark Eternal Night.

And, a Petrucci-only case, a very bland radio ballad with beautiful, sincere lyrics: Wither and Beneath The Surface. Seriously, John, what the fuck. At least make the lyrics awful too so I can skip it with a clean conscience.

Sorry for the extremely long post! Here's some funny if you make it through this: John Petrucci trying to sing The Spirit Carries On. Whenever you're down for fucking something up, remember: one of your heroes can't sing to save his life. Though, it IS absolutely out of his range
Also, someone got 21st Century Schizoid Man on youtube. Sounds a lil' unrehearsed to me, but cellphone footage can't convey half the atmosphere, so I suppose it was kick-ass for the people who were there. There's a lot of this song in Dream Theater, actually. Especially Jordan's playing seems to be influenced by melodic patterns King Crimson set.
----