06. Dyrathor - Im Auge Des Sturms
07. Xerión - No Pazo Derruido Da Existencia
08. Adorned Brood - Sons Of The Damned
09. Waylander - As Deities Clash
10. Natan - Volkskracht
11. Andras - Miasma Track
12. Obscurity - Nach Asgard Wir Reiten
13. Vinternatt - De Zwarte Mis

Some of the older readers may remember that I once reviewed "Metal Message IV", a compilation that aims at showcasing the best of Viking, Folk, Pagan metal. The guys behind Metal Message are now back with a fifth issue, remarkably titled "V". I'm not going to write a paragraph on each and every band on this compilation, as it would be way too much work for me and much too boring for me, so I'll just try to cover them in a sentence or two.

The honour of kicking off this midnight campfire gathering of Vikings is for Fimbulvet with their guitar- and vocal-orientated sound. Hromovlad stands on the harsher side of Folk spectrum although they do add a lot of flute to their song. Tumulus is third, and they're a bit of an odd beast. Their vocals annoy the living daylight out of me and they have a couple of hideous sound effects, but they also do a couple of cool things. In the end they're not getting my recommendation either. Dark Forest's "Journey To Ever-Eternal Skies", which is probably no real surprise to anyone as it's a track with a lot of Black metal influence.

Dyrathor, Tiwaz and Waylander come to the party with rather forgettable tracks. They all have their stuff together but fail to create something that lingers longer than the second that's in between all tracks. Adorned Brood on the other hand isn't really forgettable as those incredibly annoying vocals and switches in style will surely haunt you for the rest of the week. Natan and Xerion dwell on the more Black metal side of the spectrum (damn, the first riff of Natans' track sounds like a second-rate De Mysteriis Dom Sathanas riff, which means it's still pretty good), with Natan earning the victory between the two for the acoustic interlude and the way it blends into the distortion again. It's a bit on the long side, though. Andras then does pretty much everything that I hate in Viking metal, which is 'epic' and a dime a dozen vocals, jumpy guitars and an overdose of keys in the background. But I got to admit, the song isn't bad at all. Obscurity then unfortunately doesn't do much for me, and Vinternatt isn't by power to change my mood at the very last moment.

"Metal Message V" doesn't come in a CD-case, but is packed in DVD box so extended album art is possible. Not really a great idea as the album art contains two really ugly trolls and Thor hammering away at them joyfully. Not really too bad, you may think right now, but the colours used are hideous. Ah well, no real harm done, it's the music that matters. I very much doubt that compilations still play an important role in the discovery of new bands in this day and age, but hey, if you're looking for new Viking/Folk/Pagan metal you will certainly find something to replenish your thirst. No doubt about that. And someone poured his heart and soul into the booklet, which looks amazing and has information on each band. Even if most of the songs weren't really up my alley, that's very much because of my criteria concerning this genre. I'm sure the average to die-hard Folk/Viking/Pagan metal fan will find a lot to his/her liking.

Click this link to go to the official website of "Metal Message".

Written on 10.06.2009 by If you're interested in extreme, often emotional and underground music, check out my reviews. I retired from reviewing, but I really used to be into that stuff.

Comments

Comments: 10   Visited by: 117 users
10.06.2009 - 18:15
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
OKay call me stupid or something. But I don't understand the link to [url]http://www.totalrust-music.com[/b] as the website for this album at all. Cause when I clikc on it I am forwarded to the Israeli extreme doom label and they have nothing of this sort of music on it.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

10.06.2009 - 18:20
Baz Anderson

I wouldn't call that Waylander track forgettable either. It's a great album that song is from.
10.06.2009 - 18:54
Lucas
Mr. Noise
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 10.06.2009 at 18:15

OKay call me stupid or something. But I don't understand the link to [url]http://www.totalrust-music.com[/b] as the website for this album at all. Cause when I clikc on it I am forwarded to the Israeli extreme doom label and they have nothing of this sort of music on it.

My bad, I added this album on the "Various Artist" 'band profile' and that had the link in it. There's no connection between the two at all, obviously.
----
SLUDGE. DOOM. DEATH. Wait, what?

"The reason I'm running for president is because I can't be Bruce Springsteen." - Barack Obama
11.06.2009 - 08:09
Derwood

That is one ridiculous looking album cover.
----
You can't fight evil with a macaroni duck!
19.06.2009 - 20:33
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
Yeah, it's freaking cringeworthy. enough so that it would dissuade me from even considering purchasing it if i just happened to catch a glimpse of it at the local record store.
----
get the fuck off my lawn.

Beer Bug Virus Spotify Playlist crafted by Nikarg and I. Feel free to tune in and add some pertinent metal tunes!
21.06.2009 - 21:15
Dane Train
Beers & Kilts
Written by Derwood on 11.06.2009 at 08:09

That is one ridiculous looking album cover.

It reminded me of...

(Dust was a good band, btw)
----
(space for rent)
21.06.2009 - 21:26
Elio
Red Nightmare
It's too simialr to be just a coincidence IMO. btw if you're looking for some lulz cover, TrollfesT is winner for me.
----
IntoPlighT said: "Slipknot is 15 years old how the fuck is that Nu metal?"

BEST. QUOTE. EVER.
21.06.2009 - 22:44
Derwood

Hah, I used to have a copy of Hard Attack on vinyl. I had completely forgotten that cover. The Dust cover at least has a comic book cover feel to it. Metal Massacre V looks more like a caricature. Neither one of them are very good.
----
23.06.2009 - 12:06
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Written by Derwood on 21.06.2009 at 22:44

Metal Massacre V looks more like a caricature. N

Metal MESSAGE V actually Metal Massacre was a great compilation series of which Metal Massacre I of course had Metallica's Hit The Lights on it with Lloyd Grant as solo guitarist. Alas, Metal Massacre series is no more.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

23.06.2009 - 16:49
Derwood

Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 23.06.2009 at 12:06

Written by Derwood on 21.06.2009 at 22:44

Metal Massacre V looks more like a caricature. N

Metal MESSAGE V actually Metal Massacre was a great compilation series of which Metal Massacre I of course had Metallica's Hit The Lights on it with Lloyd Grant as solo guitarist. Alas, Metal Massacre series is no more.

So much for claiming I have excellent attention to detail on my resume.
----

Hits total: 5972 | This month: 2