Metal Storm logo
Nightwish - Working On New Album

The first details about a new Nightwish album are surfacing. In a recent interview, keyboard player Tuomas Holopainen revealed he already wrote three new songs for the new album, including a 3min30 instrumental interlude. In the same interview, Tuomas said the new album will be will be his way to realise his biggest dream since he plays music:

"First of all when it comes to music and Nightwish I have a huge dream and we are doing everything we can to fulfill it on the next album. I am going to be a bit mystical here because I can't reveal to you anymore but there is going to be a big twist so to say, on the next album. I just hope we can realize that because it is going to be the all time dream come true if we can pull it off. It is going to take alot of time, effort, work, and money. We will see what happens, I am really looking forward to it."

The new album will be released by the end of 2010.

In other news, you can watch a full Nightwish live show, from the Exit Festival 2008, by clicking here.

Source: nightwish-world.com
Band profile: Nightwish
Posted: 15.06.2009 by Account deleted

Comments

‹‹ Back to News
Comments: 44   [ 2 ignored ]   Visited by: 351 users
15.06.2009 - 17:48
Janne
Hugin
2010? that's so far..
----
age]

-FOLK METAL HUNGARY-
15.06.2009 - 17:51
Harlequin
It's going to be an all acoustic album without vocals and the whole band gets to play keyboard. Yay.
----
00:40 - Doomface
Mikael Akerfeldt doesn't age like humans do.
15.06.2009 - 17:51
Baz Anderson
Staff
A lot of time, effort and money? Maybe he is thinking of doing some kind of musical show, something like they planned to do with the new Judas Priest album.
15.06.2009 - 18:06
Ag Fox
Angel No More
Elite
"the end" of 2010 as well D:
----
loves 小巫
15.06.2009 - 18:08
Shadowcross
The Summoner
Written by Janne on 15.06.2009 at 17:48

2010? that's so far..

Sounds worth waiting for
Nightwish never lets me down.. I'm thinking it will be on a large scale with a strong theme to it and perhaps music Tuomas did not want to release until he had the means to make it EXACTLY how he visioned it
15.06.2009 - 18:25
GT
Coffee!!
Staff
Sounds interesting with the twist he's talking about. Hope it works out for them.
----

Dreams are made so we don't get bored when we sleep
15.06.2009 - 18:31
Ag Fox
Angel No More
Elite
I just hope it won't be something overly sexed up like Blind Guardian's Night At the Opera...
----
loves 小巫
15.06.2009 - 19:03
corrupt
With a lowercase c
Admin
Could also be a concept album. Or they break with the old style and try new music. I believe they were founded to make acoustic campfire music anyway and the electric part came more or less by accident. As long as they don't try to make Anette into Tarja 2 like they did on the last one I'm at least interested.
----
15.06.2009 - 21:51
Urizen367
Bout f-in time
----
I will not reason and compare, my business is to create.
15.06.2009 - 22:06
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
Admin
Well, we know what the MS Awards in 2010 will show as biggest surprise and biggest let-down...
----
get the fuck off my lawn.

Beer Bug Virus Spotify Playlist crafted by Nikarg and I. Feel free to tune in and add some pertinent metal tunes!
15.06.2009 - 22:14
Deadsoulman
Elite
Written by Irritable Ted on 15.06.2009 at 20:58

Hope- because the whole album could be like the title track of the last album, which was brilliant.

Dark Passion Play didn't have a title track... If you mean The Poet And The Pendulum, then I definitely agree with you, this song was maybe the best they ever recorded IMO If they could do a whole album along these lines it would be awesome. Though I hope the "twist" means they're gonna turn to brutal death with Annette Whatever growling her ass off
15.06.2009 - 22:39
Symmachus
Written by Deadsoulman on 15.06.2009 at 22:14

Hope- because the whole album could be like the title track of the last album, which was brilliant.

Dark Passion Play didn't have a title track... If you mean The Poet And The Pendulum, then I definitely agree with you, this song was maybe the best they ever recorded IMO If they could do a whole album along these lines it would be awesome. Though I hope the "twist" means they're gonna turn to brutal death with Annette Whatever growling her ass off

That would be hilarious.

This album does seem to be worth waiting for. It's going to be a long wait, though, considering that it i splanned to be released at the end of 2010. That's the next decade!
15.06.2009 - 23:04
Talvi
Now I listen to good music so I don't care about Nightwish anymore
----
My account on other musical pages:
http://www.last.fm/user/Pozito/
http://rateyourmusic.com/~Talvi
15.06.2009 - 23:56
Elio
Red Nightmare
Written by Talvi on 15.06.2009 at 23:04

Now I listen to good music so I don't care about Nightwish anymore

Shut up you still do.
----
IntoPlighT said: "Slipknot is 15 years old how the fuck is that Nu metal?"

BEST. QUOTE. EVER.
16.06.2009 - 00:36
Jason W.
Razorbliss
Staff

... If you mean The Poet And The Pendulum, then I definitely agree with you, this song was maybe the best they ever recorded IMO If they could do a whole album along these lines it would be awesome.

Yes, if they make an entire album like "The Poet..." I'd even pre-order the disc now.

To me, the more exciting Tuomas's orchestrations, keyboards lines, and arrangements are, the more I'll love it. I hope he focuses on excellent writing and can tune out the pressure from the last album now that the lineup is well established.
----
"After silence that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is music." - Aldous Huxley
16.06.2009 - 01:27
Fat & Sassy!
Elite
Written by Harlequin on 15.06.2009 at 17:51

It's going to be an all acoustic album without vocals...

That's what I was thinking, seeing as how that is what Nightwish was supposed to be.
16.06.2009 - 01:28
Ag Fox
Angel No More
Elite

totally agree every bit of it XD

but I really hope it won't be acoustic
----
loves 小巫
16.06.2009 - 02:26
Classic Bob G
I'm very excited for this. I wonder what the twist is going to be. Are they going to be working with the London Symphony Orchestra?

I got to meet Toumas on their last tour. Really intelligent guy, really down to earth. Super nice.

I was wearing a Finntroll t-shirt at the time, and I asked him if he knew why Finntroll canned their lead singer, where he replied "I don't know, but that seems to be a growing trend now-a-days"

The look on everyone's face was priceless.
16.06.2009 - 03:40
LeChron James
Helvetesfossen
Hopefully this new album will make Annette more smoke resistant
----
Kick Ass, Die Young

Less is More
Stay Pure
Stay Poor

Music was my life, music brought me to life and music is how I will be remembered long after I leave this life. When I die there will be a final waltz in my head that only I can hear.
16.06.2009 - 04:13
tulkas
el parcero
If it's due till end of 2010, then it better be good. that's a lot of time
----
love is like a jar of shit with a strawberry on top
16.06.2009 - 05:29
Trojanman190
Ugh that's a long wait.
16.06.2009 - 05:42
Okay, so Tuomas said the new album would take a lot of time, effort, work, and money to produce.

How could this possibly be an acoustic album then? If anything, it seems an acoustic album would be a helluva lot cheaper than using an orchestra, vocal mixes, and amps, and guitar techs, and drum techs, etc.

Having said that, you have to ask yourself, "what the hell takes a lot of time, effort, work, and money?"

My answer: I think Tuomas is planning a full blown rock opera like The Wall or Tommy. That would explain the unreasonably distant release date. Also, can you imagine how much a tour of that would cost? To act all that shit out and stuff? They would have to pay for actors, maybe props,
whatever else... That's just my opinion.

I trust Tuomas' work ethic. Whatever it is, for that amount of waiting time, it better give me the biggest eargasm I've ever had.
16.06.2009 - 06:56
Makes sense it would take so long, just think how huge DDP was

This is definitely an album worth waiting for. I just hope the surprise isn't that Tarja has agreed to come back on board for part of the album. It wouldn't be bad, just a kick in the band and Anette's teeth after all the shit they went through.

As long as Marco sings another islander/while your lips are still red song I'll be a happy camper =)
16.06.2009 - 07:25
Daggon
Underpaid M.D.
So, then it may be an Accoustic Symphonic Brutal Death metal album?

Let's see if it they can use correctly Annette's voice, I didn't like too much their last effort
----
"Les vers savent qu'ils n'ont pas d'ailes, c'est pour cela qu'ils se cachent sous terre"
16.06.2009 - 10:06
annodomini
For Musical Anette would not fit. So maybe there will be some guest stars and singers if there really will be a musical. And now about time...

What the f. you are talking here about. The end of 2010 is so long... Bla bla... Have you ever tried to write a song, and then to make it good, and then to make it original and that will feel for you? NW is not so original band, but they also are not some shitty death metal where you can create riff in 10 minutes. It is about emotions. Tuomas is not song writer, he is a Composer, so that needs time to grow on music, lyrics, vocal lines and other stuff.

I hope this will be a good album, and another step forward. DPP is too small fo them, now they need something HUGE.
----
the riddle wants to be...
16.06.2009 - 10:13
Italics
I'll bet you anything it'll be something along the lines of them having a music video for every song, and the whole entire album being some kind of story/rock opera.

You heard it here first.
----
But I Justify My Desire to No One
16.06.2009 - 10:33
annodomini
Written by Italics on 16.06.2009 at 10:13

I'll bet you anything it'll be something along the lines of them having a music video for every song, and the whole entire album being some kind of story/rock opera.

You heard it here first.

I have also though abou music videos, maybe even some kind of movie of rock opera.
----
16.06.2009 - 10:50
Uirapuru
Liver Failure
Why announce so early?...
----

----
member of the true crusade against old school heavy metal, early 80s thrash, NWOBHM, traditional doom, first and second wave black metal, old school death metal, US power metal, 70s prog rock and atmospheric doomsludgestoner. o/
16.06.2009 - 12:02
DarkMoor99
Account deleted
The END of 2010, damn, that is long. But I'm looking forward to it.
16.06.2009 - 13:29
annodomini
Written by Uirapuru on 16.06.2009 at 10:50

Why announce so early?...

It is not officialy announced. It's just an interview.
----

Hits total: 20848 | This month: 9