Metal Storm logo
Polish Death Metal

15.07.2006 - 19:07
Clintagräm
Shrinebuilder
It seems there has been an influx of great Death Metal streaming from this wonderful country as of late. It is without a doubt probably my favorite Death Metal country. I mean, who can deny that a lot of great Death/Black acts have been pouring out of Poland? With veterans like Vader and Trauma, innovators like Behemoth, and then just a ton of other great ones like Hate, Decapitated, Vesania, Dies Irae, Immemorial, Hell-Born, Demise, and many more I would just like too see which bands are your favorites? I really enjoy all the ones that I have listed. That's a start. Anyone a fan?
----
The force will be with you, always.
15.07.2006 - 19:20
Vunts

Well, i'm a fan of Vader. They're basically as close to "a favourite band" as possible. And i also appreciate Decapitated a lot. I pretty much despise Behemoth. Mainly for the reason that there seems to be an unrecognizable hype around them.
As for the other bands you listed, i'll definately look into them as soon as i get the chance.
15.07.2006 - 19:29
Richard

When I polish Death Metal, I always use Brasso!

Crap jokes aside, yes, I've noticed there are some decent Death Metal bands from Poland. Bands like Behemoth and Hate have taken influences from US Death Metal and added their own twists to it. I really like Hate's latest album 'Anaclasis', where they introduced some sort of odd industrial-ish elements - nothing to detract from the music, but little spices of sound effects and such. I also like Vader and Hell-Born.

Do you think there's something about DM bands from Poland which could be called a distinctive Polish sound? Like a lot of Swedish DM bands have a certain sound in common (Entombed, Dismember, Grave)... Maybe I'm imagining it, but is there something where we would listen to a band and say "ah, that sounds like Polish DM"? I'm not sure quite what it is, but there seems to be something which sets the sound of a lot of Polish bands apart from the US bands, even if there are US influences there's something of their own identity in there too.
----
15.07.2006 - 19:38
Clintagräm
Shrinebuilder
Written by Richard on 15.07.2006 at 19:29

Do you think there's something about DM bands from Poland which could be called a distinctive Polish sound?

Yes, I agree completely. I'm not sure what it is, but there is a sound. It can be found in Vader's "new sound", as with Behemoth, Hate, and well, most of them. It's a lot of the guitar work I think, it works in a "chug-chug" motion sort of, with excellent drum work. It might have to do with production. I think it is something that will be more well defined in the near future. It certainly has a strong pull from US bands like you said, the most noteworthy being Morbid Angel.
----
15.07.2006 - 20:11
Southern Wind
Account deleted
I agree that Poland don't have a distinctive sound, and I confess it had been really hard for me to get into Polish Death Metal... there are actually only two DM albums from that country I like: Decapitated - "Winds Of Ceation" and Behemoth - "Soz Kia Kultis" (I know I didn't write but you undestand what I mean)
15.07.2006 - 20:13
Hybrid_Killer
Account deleted
Poland is one of my favourite places metal wise atm..

Behemoth and Decapitated are amongst my fav bands (organic hallucinosis blows my mind daily).

Vesania's God the Lux is one of my top black metal releases and

Vader is fast becoming a band I would list in my top 10.

Edit: Will definitely check out the bands listed in the original post...thanks for the tips.

Hate sounds awesome.
15.07.2006 - 20:20
Clintagräm
Shrinebuilder
Written by Guest on 15.07.2006 at 20:11

I agree that Poland don't have a distinctive sound, and I confess it had been really hard for me to get into Polish Death Metal... there are actually only two DM albums from that country I like: Decapitated - "Winds Of Ceation" and Behemoth - "Soz Kia Kultis" (I know I didn't write but you undestand what I mean)

What other bands have you tried out? If none from my list, try some, especially Hate, Trauma, and Vesania.
----
15.07.2006 - 21:19
KMR

There is certainly no Polish sound at all, but many Polish bands sound like noone. We're growing more and more on extreme metal scene, and it's nice to hear about so much interest all over the world. Before the 'DM boom' at the end of 90's there were many great Polish extreme bands, but promotion machine sucks at this times, had no power to get out the borders of the country. Nowadays many things have changed, many bands achieved atention of fans and labels. Another thing, people there are still hungry for this type of music, even when Behemoth played in my town (120k of people) , really big hall was full.

Anyway, watch out for pl scene, it's getting better and better year by year.
----
Nothing is sacred.
16.07.2006 - 07:10
Eternal Flames

I wouldn't know whether to really say Polish Death Metal has a very distinctive sound at the moment, but I do agree that in the near future it will become more well defined. I think that the Polish Death Metal scene is still evolving, but once they become more well known, I think it will be more evident of a distinctive sound in their music. As already mentioned, Polish Death Metal bands currently seem to have the sort of heavier Black/Death sound in the likes of the innovators Behemoth. I muchly agree with the idea that they have a sort of 'chug chug' riffing in their sound also.

My favourites would have to be Vesania, Lost Soul and Behemoth, but there are many that I have not mentioned that are truly great, and not just the really well known ones like Vader or Decapitated.
16.07.2006 - 07:56
Kap'N Korrupt
Account deleted
I like Behemoth a bit...I've seen them a dozen times because they've been through here a lot...Vader is another Polish death metal band I think it awesome and have seen a couple of times...I just downloaded this polish death metal band by the name of Yattering but I haven't actually listened to it yet...
16.07.2006 - 07:59
Dangerboner
Lactation Cnslt
Written by Guest on 16.07.2006 at 07:56

I like Behemoth a bit...I've seen them a dozen times because they've been through here a lot...Vader is another Polish death metal band I think it awesome and have seen a couple of times...I just downloaded this polish death metal band by the name of Yattering but I haven't actually listened to it yet...

Yattering is damn good. I think you'll like them.
16.07.2006 - 08:14
Kap'N Korrupt
Account deleted
@pyroleprechaun: You're right man...I do like them...their drummer is insane! very fast and tight...they have great production too...some pretty technical stuff...technical death metal...
16.07.2006 - 08:18
Dangerboner
Lactation Cnslt
Right on. Which album did you download? They're all good, but I really like Genocide and Human's Pain.
16.07.2006 - 09:00
Kap'N Korrupt
Account deleted
I downloaded all of them...I got this torrent that has the following artists's discography: Amorphis, Dog Faced Gods, Isis, Moonspell, Tiamat, Winds and Yattering...crazy...took 30 minutes to download the discography of all those bands...

Are they releasing a new album soon?
16.07.2006 - 09:08
Clintagräm
Shrinebuilder
So Kap'N Korrupt, does that mean you even liked their electronica album 'III?' What I have heard is far from what they are known for. Not that it's bad, but definitely different. By the way, I read that they split up, unfortunately, but they will release a live album sometime.

By the way, Nomad, Supreme Lord, and Devilyn are a few more to check out.
----
16.07.2006 - 11:32
CrypticMyth
Metal Scientist
One really cool band from Poland are Esqarial. Their Inheritence and Discoveries albums are amazing releases. Another band that popped up in my head as soon as Poland was mentioned were Betrayer. Calamity is a damn good album. Highly recommended for Satanic DM listeners...
----
"You're all the same, the lot of you, with your long hair and faggot clothes. Drugs, sex, every sort of filth. And you hate the police, don't you? You make it easy."
16.07.2006 - 13:25
KMR

@C-dub: Yattering's III was only answer to their last label, they have some really bad problem with it (that was like '@#$% off' answer). And yes, Supreme Lord is great old school band from my town, nice guys, they 'estabilished' metal scene there.
----
Nothing is sacred.
16.07.2006 - 21:22
Clintagräm
Shrinebuilder
Written by KMR on 16.07.2006 at 13:25

@C-dub: Yattering's III was only answer to their last label, they have some really bad problem with it (that was like '@#$% off' answer). And yes, Supreme Lord is great old school band from my town, nice guys, they 'estabilished' metal scene there.

Yes, that seems familiar and very interesting indeed. Still kind of strange, in a comical way I suppose.
----
17.07.2006 - 02:26
Kap'N Korrupt
Account deleted
Yattering has an album by the name of III? I have looked on places like bnrmetal, allmusic, metal-archives and even Yattering's own website to take a look at this album in some discography but I could not find it...I sure didn't get it in their discography when I downloaded the torrent...if anyone has it i'd like to hear it...I do like electronica music in small doses...
17.07.2006 - 02:30
Stigmatized
Well, I'm a fan of Behemoth and Vader, but so is everyone else. I hear a lot about this band Hate....I may check them out, if I can find their material.
20.07.2006 - 07:47
Clintagräm
Shrinebuilder
Has anyone ever heard of Crionics? They are also a great Polish Death/Black Metal band. They remind me of a more symphonic version of 'Pandemonic Incantations' era Behemoth. Pretty wicked music.

http://myspace.com/crionics
----
20.07.2006 - 08:23
Hybrid_Killer
Account deleted
I have Crionics' Armageddon Evolution. It's much more black then death though- not really my thing.
20.07.2006 - 14:59
Lucas
Mr. Noise
Excellent list you made. I'm a big fan of Polish Death Metal, it has a real good scene.

Though, newer Vesania and Crionics are much more Black influenced than Death, if you ask me.

Also add Trauma to your list, seems they are not known. But they kick ass as hell!

Southern Wind: Zos Kia Cvltvs-Here And Beyond.
----
SLUDGE. DOOM. DEATH. Wait, what?

"The reason I'm running for president is because I can't be Bruce Springsteen." - Barack Obama
21.07.2006 - 02:45
Dangerboner
Lactation Cnslt
Does anyone know what's up with the new Trauma cd, DeterminNation? It's been out for a while now but for some reason they can't ship it out. I heard something about a record label dispute, but I'm not sure.
21.07.2006 - 03:01
Endoftherainbow

I really like Behemoth, Vader, and Decapitated but I have to admit that is pretty much all that I have heard from the Polish Death Metal scene is there one band from this scene that really sticks out as the best band?
21.07.2006 - 03:22
Dangerboner
Lactation Cnslt
Trauma! Yattering!
21.07.2006 - 03:33
Endoftherainbow

Written by Dangerboner on 21.07.2006 at 03:22

Trauma! Yattering!

Thanks for telling me about the bands I just checked both of them out and like most of what I heard. Truama was amazing and the songs were produced pretty good but I'm not so sure about Yattering some of the songs were heavy but others had like Techno beats and were quite wierd.
21.07.2006 - 04:06
Dangerboner
Lactation Cnslt
Written by Endoftherainbow on 21.07.2006 at 03:33

Written by Dangerboner on 21.07.2006 at 03:22

Trauma! Yattering!

Thanks for telling me about the bands I just checked both of them out and like most of what I heard. Truama was amazing and the songs were produced pretty good but I'm not so sure about Yattering some of the songs were heavy but others had like Techno beats and were quite wierd.

There was a conversation about this earlier, but Yattering made a techno-ish album to piss off their record label.
21.07.2006 - 09:18
Clintagräm
Shrinebuilder
Written by Lucas on 20.07.2006 at 14:59

Though, newer Vesania... are much more Black influenced than Death, if you ask me.

Really? I thought that the newer Vesania sounded a bit more Death-like, especially in production from their first release. I had attributed it to Orion now being in Behemoth and some of their music rubbing off on him. Am I alone here? I know that Vesania is a lot stronger in the Black Metal department than in Death, but I thought their newer album we a bit more Death Metal influenced. Maybe it is just me?
----
21.07.2006 - 11:19
Daniell
_爱情_
Me too. "God the Lux" sounds similar to Behemoth in style: death metal with a strong taste of black metal. An excellent album in every department, much better than, say, Vader's "The Beast".