Metal Storm logo
Fear Factory - In Legal Battle Over Name

According to an interview conducted by Speed Freaks with Fear Factory members Christian Olde Wolbers (guitar) and Raymond Herrera (drums), they claim that Dino Cazares and Burt C. Bell reformed as "Fear Factory" without even communicating with them.

The part of the interview goes as follows:

Raymond: We're actually still in Fear Factory. There's a big legal battle going on right now. Essentially, what's happened is Dino and Burt have become friends again and they decided to start a new band, and furthermore, they decided to call it Fear Factory. They never communicated with us about it, and they're acting like there was never any contract, but there's four members that are Fear Factory Incorporated - which is the four of us - so it's almost like them two against us two, so it's kind of a stalemate. Moving forward, I don't know what's gonna happen with the trademark, so to speak. It's kind of a weird situation, but it's not a situation that we created that was weird.

The interview can be found at this location.

Source: speedfreaks.tv
Band profile: Fear Factory
Posted: 17.06.2009 by Baz Anderson

Comments

‹‹ Back to News
Comments: 28   Visited by: 169 users
17.06.2009 - 14:28
Uirapuru
Liver Failure
Instead of doing this shit they should be working on new material.
----

----
member of the true crusade against old school heavy metal, early 80s thrash, NWOBHM, traditional doom, first and second wave black metal, old school death metal, US power metal, 70s prog rock and atmospheric doomsludgestoner. o/
17.06.2009 - 14:28
Baz Anderson
Staff
Oh dear. It did seem a little weird Christian and Raymond mysteriously disappearing from the band. Fear Factory wouldn't be the same without them.
17.06.2009 - 14:29
Darkside Momo
Retired
Elite
I was sure something like this would happen. This year is good for dramas, let's see what the others will answer!
----
My Author's Blog (in French)

"You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you"

"I've lost too many years now
I'm stealing back my soul
I am awake"
17.06.2009 - 14:30
Baz Anderson
Staff
I'm actually wondering which Fear Factory is going to be playing Bloodstock. They'd better not have to cancel because of all this.
17.06.2009 - 14:45
Hamird
Lieutenant
Written by Baz Anderson on 17.06.2009 at 14:28

Oh dear. It did seem a little weird Christian and Raymond mysteriously disappearing from the band. Fear Factory wouldn't be the same without them.

Yes, I think these two are more important to Fear Factory that Bell and Cazares. After all, the line-up in Archetype and Transgression is the best Fear Factory in my opinion.
17.06.2009 - 14:54
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
My god and the whining between ex-band members once again starts.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

17.06.2009 - 15:29
AdiabsA
I think that the name is from the formers members and thats it!, it they want to do other band with like the same name.. just with changing one letter will be ok like.. Fear Factori (example) lol
17.06.2009 - 16:05
brapp32
Good for them. I hope they sue the shit out of burt and dino.
17.06.2009 - 16:18
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by brapp32 on 17.06.2009 at 16:05

Good for them. I hope they sue the shit out of burt and dino.

Christian only joined when they had already released a well received debut album and had already played a packed Dynamo Open Air so he should swallow his tongue. Only person with any right to complain is Raymond imo.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

17.06.2009 - 17:15
brapp32
I'm sorry but I got to disagree. Maybe soul of a new machine put them on the map but demanufacture is the album that made them famous. Christian has been around long enough to be considered a large part of fear factory. He's been with band since end of 1993. That's a long time. He's just as big of a part of fear factory as the other 3 are.
17.06.2009 - 17:59
Kamilbolt
Account deleted
Christian and Raymond already created their own band (Arkaea). They have done even more - they have stolen to their project most of songs, which were in plans on upcoming Fear Factory album.

Damn, I am begining to dislike them
17.06.2009 - 19:11
foschino
Account deleted
It's very sad that they are coming up with all sorts of tricks just to get attention
17.06.2009 - 19:13
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
Admin
Negura Factory Seedd-Oroth. Of Fire.
----
get the fuck off my lawn.

Beer Bug Virus Spotify Playlist crafted by Nikarg and I. Feel free to tune in and add some pertinent metal tunes!
17.06.2009 - 19:16
Dane Train
Beers & Kilts
Elite
Fear Factory Incorporated? Really? I thought they were a band, not an industry.
----
(space for rent)
17.06.2009 - 22:26
Eddie Misery
Written by Hamird on 17.06.2009 at 14:45

Yes, I think these two are more important to Fear Factory that Bell and Cazares. After all, the line-up in Archetype and Transgression is the best Fear Factory in my opinion.

How do you figure the lineup on Archetype and Transgression is better than the previous albums? Bell has always been in the band. All that changed was Christian dropped the bass and took up the guitar when Dino left, and Byron Stroud took up the bass. Christian did a hell of a job, but Dino is still a great riffer as well. My personal favorite album, Obsolete, was written with Dino still on guitars, so I was excited to see that he was coming back. It sucks that there's all this drama surrounding it though. They should just resume the old lineup.

Also, Archetype was a kickass album. Transgression....not so much.
17.06.2009 - 22:28
Eddie Misery
BTW -- there are many bands that "incorporate" themselves, for legal / business / contract reasons etc. It's actually pretty common.
17.06.2009 - 23:29
Symmachus
Written by BitterCOld on 17.06.2009 at 19:13

Negura Factory Stratosabbath Seedd-Oroth. Of Fire.

Fixed.
17.06.2009 - 23:35
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
Admin
Written by Symmachus on 17.06.2009 at 23:29

Fixed.

thanks. i'm going to start my one man ambient black metal project with that name. then i'm going to split up and sue myself in homage to Negura Bunget, Fear Factory, Stratovarius, Black Sabbath, Gorgoroth, God Seed, Rhapsody of Fire, and the very subtly included Middian who were sued by the failuremetal band Midian.

i figure that's a more amusing (and less painful way) of mocking these ludicrous lawsuits and battles than doing the Slayerfan thing and carving all their names on my forearm and lighting it on fire.
----

Beer Bug Virus Spotify Playlist crafted by Nikarg and I. Feel free to tune in and add some pertinent metal tunes!
18.06.2009 - 00:21
Hamird
Lieutenant
Written by Eddie Misery on 17.06.2009 at 22:26

Written by Hamird on 17.06.2009 at 14:45

How do you figure the lineup on Archetype and Transgression is better than the previous albums? Bell has always been in the band. All that changed was Christian dropped the bass and took up the guitar when Dino left, and Byron Stroud took up the bass. Christian did a hell of a job, but Dino is still a great riffer as well. My personal favorite album, Obsolete, was written with Dino still on guitars, so I was excited to see that he was coming back. It sucks that there's all this drama surrounding it though. They should just resume the old lineup.

Also, Archetype was a kickass album. Transgression....not so much.

I didn't say that those albums are the best Fear Factory have done (although I believe that Archetype is); by saying line-up on those two albums was best I meant the line-up after reuniting included Stroud, Bell, Herrera and Olde-Wolbers..
My personal opinion is that Stroud does better than Olde-Wolbers on bass and Olde-Wolbers does better than Cazares on guitars. In addition I personally don't like songs that Cazares has made as much as what has been done in his absence.
18.06.2009 - 00:45
Symmachus
Written by BitterCOld on 17.06.2009 at 23:35

Written by Symmachus on 17.06.2009 at 23:29

Fixed.

thanks. i'm going to start my one man ambient black metal project with that name. then i'm going to split up and sue myself in homage to Negura Bunget, Fear Factory, Stratovarius, Black Sabbath, Gorgoroth, God Seed, Rhapsody of Fire, and the very subtly included Middian who were sued by the failuremetal band Midian.

i figure that's a more amusing (and less painful way) of mocking these ludicrous lawsuits and battles than doing the Slayerfan thing and carving all their names on my forearm and lighting it on fire.

Oh, Middian was forgotten about in the name. Whatever the case, that's funny. That's a really cool idea.

Also, that name-carving arm burning thing seems rather painful. What's that one about?
18.06.2009 - 01:12
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
Admin
Written by Symmachus on 18.06.2009 at 00:45

Also, that name-carving arm burning thing seems rather painful. What's that one about?

this:

action sequence
----

18.06.2009 - 02:24
Symmachus
Written by BitterCOld on 18.06.2009 at 01:12

Written by Symmachus on 18.06.2009 at 00:45

this:

action sequence

Haha, that's messed up. Totally messed up.
18.06.2009 - 04:56
LeChron James
Helvetesfossen
That video was raw as fuck.

and dick move on dino and burton's part for reforming without the other band members' knowledge.
----
Kick Ass, Die Young

Less is More
Stay Pure
Stay Poor

Music was my life, music brought me to life and music is how I will be remembered long after I leave this life. When I die there will be a final waltz in my head that only I can hear.
18.06.2009 - 06:11
Eddie Misery
Yea, I agree that they should have at least told the other guys...kinda shifty.
18.06.2009 - 08:55
Daggon
Underpaid M.D.
Ah, another suggestion for the Drama of the year hehe
----
"Les vers savent qu'ils n'ont pas d'ailes, c'est pour cela qu'ils se cachent sous terre"
18.06.2009 - 20:49
HyperDrifter
So much drama this year its incredible xD
19.06.2009 - 02:00
Bobby_Loggins
Account deleted
If you write good music then the name of your band isn't important. I'm guessing this is why the Fear Factory boys are so upset lol.

Anyway reminds me of the ridiculous gorgoroth situation.

I'd love to see them imerge as "Fear Factories" or "The Fear Factory" that'd be genius lol!
26.08.2009 - 17:49
I like the Gene H style but I rather Raymond with FF but I think we lost a big oportunity to see FF with two guitars because the stupidity and greed of this guys.

Hits total: 5627 | This month: 6