Metal Storm logo
Slayer vs. Pantera, which album is "meaner"?

Original post

Posted by BitterCOld, 20.06.2009 - 09:58
Was watching "That Metal Show" with Eddie Trunk tonight. Each episode has a 2 minute battle where Eddie and the other hosts and guests debate which of two classic artists/albums/whatever is more "x" than the other.

This particular show's guests were Nuno and Gary from Extreme (last time I watched it was Frankie Bello from Anthrax... he should have been there to field this question, as it's more up his alley than theirs...) and the question of the day was exactly how I worded it above. Which album is "meaner" than the other? That asked, the concept of meaner is/was apparently left open to debate or the individual to determine. I realize that music is entirely subjective, but that question really pushes the boundaries of subjectivity.

In any case, I was a bit taken aback at the results, so I wanted to pose the same question to YOU! to see which of the two albums you think is "meaner" - and please post why you think so as well and compare our results to their 'panel' and studio audience.

Poll

Which is the "meaner" album?

Slayer - Reign In Blood
Pantera - Vulgar Display of Power

Total votes: 57
26.01.2010 - 12:08
Darkside Momo
Retired
I'm also inclined tosay Pantera - VDoP. I think along the same lines as Derwood and Jupitreas here.
Also, 'mean' as this kind of 'petty' side to me, just like an all-out tavern brawl just for the pleasure of bashing people might be.
----
My Author's Blog (in French)

"You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you"

"I've lost too many years now
I'm stealing back my soul
I am awake"
26.01.2010 - 15:24
THE_BLACK_GOD
Account deleted
I voted for meaner=Lower, cause I think Pantera's "Vulgar Display of Power" is very mean (with its other meaning!)
31.01.2010 - 04:27
Edible Autopsy

Vulgar Display of Power is definately the more aggressive of the two albums. Not only music wise as well. Just listen to the lyrics on VDoP.

Reign in Blood is definately a more extreme album, but to me lacks the aggressiveness that Pantera captured.
----
So let it be written
So let it be done
I've be sent here by the chosen one

So let it be written
So let it be done
To kill the first born pharoah son

I'm Creeping Death
31.01.2010 - 04:42
bloodwrage
Pagan Angel
Slayer. Pantera is awesome, but they have a song about Nazis and precipitating fluids. You can't beat that kind of mean.
03.02.2010 - 14:54
Scourge

Slayer is absolutely MEANER and more extreme band but i prefer Pantera. Especially Vulgar Display.
----
What doesn't kill you makes you stronger and bitter...
22.09.2011 - 20:20
BeastOfMetal456
Account deleted
When Reign In Blood was released, it should have been the heaviest, meanest, evilest thing on earth. I can't say the same thing for Pantera, so my vote goes to Sleigher.