Metal Storm logo
Favourite classical composer

Original post

Posted by Yossarian, 26.06.2009 - 21:50
Hi. I don't know why, but I love polls.

I have recently taken some classical music from my girlfriend hard disk, cos I have just classical in vinyls and the idea of creating a poll here came to my mind.

It is widely admitted that, despite the obvious great differences, metal is the music style more close to classical music as regards skill, complication and feeling, so many metalheads like classical and understand a lot about it, above all if you can play.

I have always been a huge fan of Classical after some Spanish heavy metal bands back in the 80's considered Beethoven -Barón Rojo- and Bach -Obús-, as the main influence for metal in their opinions... well that is open to discussion, since, if Jimi Hendrix would not have created or made popular the distortion, metal would not be so metallic and blues-rock was the most immediate trigger.

Nevertheless, coming back again to the topic. I know that some of you have not heard some of the ones in the list and some others like another composers not reflected. To begin with, I have not considered classical artists mostly working in opera and the like, so there is no Verdi, Wagner... Secondly, there can be only 9 choices, so I have not been able to put many that I like a lot such as Listz, Brahms, Tchaikovski or Debussy.
Besides, I have include "Mozart" for his importance, though I don't like him very much, since he abused of Mayor scales and chords and I prefer Minor Tones, since they evoke more feeling, sadness, mystery...metal.

Alright. To finish. I hope you will like this poll. I will put my choice in some days after revising Beethoven and Bach "discography". Both of them are my favourite ones alike. Hard to decide.

Poll

Which is your favourite composer of classical music

ANOTHER
Beethoven
Mozart
Bach
Vivaldi
Chopin
Paganini
Schumann
Schubert

Total votes: 66
07.09.2012 - 10:55
Jaeryd
Nihil's Maw
Mozart's Requiem is my favorite classical work of all time. I still love Bach, Chopin, Beethoven, and all the rest. But I had to go with Mozart.
----
27.09.2012 - 05:55
Nosurper
Stinky Lips
Dimitri Shostakovich
----
27.09.2012 - 05:57
Nosurper
Stinky Lips
Also check out Max Richter if you're into classical. Beautiful music.
----
02.10.2012 - 19:53
nana.MD
Star-Queen
Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart is the best composer...I love his songs and for me there's no one better than him...Requiem is a masterpiece, I just love him.
----
Live how you want just don't feed on me, if you doubt what I say I will make you believe...
28.12.2012 - 16:56
Wraith000

Hey guys i'm making a list of metal covers of classical music thought it fit the topic so posted here
http://www.metalstorm.net/users/list.php?list_id=2699
----
\m/ - - \m/
05.01.2013 - 21:05
john_mcc

Sergei Prokofiev.

I am surprised at the lack of Russians in the poll considering that this is a Metal forum.
05.01.2013 - 22:03
Ilahiya Khinzir
Account deleted
Pyotr Ilyich Tchaikovsky.

I would say his music is more well known than Mozart and Beethoven togheter.
05.01.2013 - 22:38
Gurth Bennas

The spirit that beethoven's songs have, makes me crazy! if you concentrate well on his music then you'll find out what am I sayin. none of the other composers have that thing!
----
Ash nazg durbatulûk, ash nazg gimbatul
Ash nazg thrakatulûk agh burzum-ishi krimpatul

(One Ring to rule them all, One Ring to find them,
One Ring to bring them all and in the darkness bind them)
11.01.2013 - 17:47
Yossarian

Written by Guest on 05.01.2013 at 22:03

Pyotr Ilyich Tchaikovsky.

I would say his music is more well known than Mozart and Beethoven togheter.

He is quite famous and great indeed. However your statement is as saying that, for instance, Metallica songs are more well known than ac/dc and guns and roses songs together.

Cheers
11.01.2013 - 17:50
Yossarian

Come on. No votes yet for Schumann and Schubert. Have u listened to them?. If not, give them a try. They're great.

I really thought that the leaders will be Bach and Beethoven, so I am quite surprised about Mozart in the 3rd place since he made mainly compositions in mayor scales and not in minor ones -and Metal makes mainly minor-.

Cheers
30.05.2014 - 23:46
Ilham
Giant robot
When I was working on my projects with very short deadlines at school, during the successive all-nighters I had to pull, most of the music I listened to was classical. There's nothing better for concentration, and calming the nerves at the same time. My favourite composers are Sergei Prokofiev, Pyotr Tchaikovsky and Philip Glass. The Kronos Quartet goes in the list of favourites too. I know the last two names don't really fit in the era we're talking about.
15.06.2014 - 23:57
JayMo4

Bach, followed by Tchaikovsky, Dvorak, Schubert... Beethoven and Vivaldi, DeBussy, and one I never hear from most people but love is D Scarlatti.
04.07.2014 - 13:29
Yossarian

Written by JayMo4 on 15.06.2014 at 23:57

Bach, followed by Tchaikovsky, Dvorak, Schubert... Beethoven and Vivaldi, DeBussy, and one I never hear from most people but love is D Scarlatti.

Hi.

Domenico Scarlatti?. Never heard of him before and lived mainly in my country. I will check...

Thanks
04.07.2014 - 18:39
JayMo4

Written by Yossarian on 04.07.2014 at 13:29
Domenico Scarlatti?. Never heard of him before and lived mainly in my country. I will check...

Thanks

That's the one. There are a couple of Scarlattis, so I wanted to specify. Domenico is interesting to me because his works possesses qualities of both baroque and classical music, and there are some Spanish and Portuguese folk influnces there as well. I've just always found his style unique and beautiful.
27.07.2014 - 04:16
0rpheus

Rachmaninoff, Wagner, Tchaikovsky, Chopin.
----
I would prefer not to.