Metal Storm logo
Crowdsurf and mosh!

27.06.2009 - 18:20
ilicit
Fallitur Visio
I was shocked to have searched this two topics and found nothing

When I go to a live concert I really enjoy some mosh pits and crowdsurf What do you think about it? Are you a kind of person who gets pissed off at concerts because others are pushing you around? Or do you participate in it?

Share your thoughts and some videos if you want. I'll be the first:

This is me @ Rock In Rio 2008 - Moonspell concert. I was caught by live TV ^^
Sry about the quality of the gif (if you want to see the whole song is @ http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IlfNGTM6JuI)
----
<JustinSane> shall we play the /quit game?
<skoo> /quit
* JustinSane has quit IRC (Signed off)
<skoo> owned
* JustinSane has joined the #
<JustinSane> i cannot believe i just did that
27.06.2009 - 19:10
ForeverDarkWoods

Moshing is good fun under the right circumstances. Not much into crowdsurfin myself (around here the security guards grab you right away and throw you out of the show, so it's kinda counterproductive), but I don't mind it if others are doing it. You should be considerate of the circumstances though. You should not try to start moshpits far back among a crowd of silent listeners, and you shouldn't try to force people to participate and such. But moshing can be really good fun sometimes. Also depends on the band that's playing. At some concerts it's just not appropriate.

I also hate hardcore dancers. Those faggots are seriously douchebags and if you see one in a pit at any good metal show then that person deserves to be punched in the face.
----
Free nations are peaceful nations. Free nations don't attack each other. Free nations don't develop weapons of mass destruction!
- George W. Bush, ex-president of the United States of America
27.06.2009 - 19:42
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
----
Life is to short for LOVE, there is many great things to do online !!!

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
27.06.2009 - 19:54
ilicit
Fallitur Visio
Written by Bad English on 27.06.2009 at 19:42

Hmmmm search again
http://www.metalstorm.ee/forum/topic.php?topic_id=12237

Not the same
In that topic people are giving tips to go to concerts. In this one I'm asking for the general opinion of metalstormers who actually do crowdsurf and participate into moshpits, or those who dislike it.
----
<skoo> /quit
<skoo> owned
27.06.2009 - 20:21
thesabbathfan

Only ever been crowdsurfing once, wasn't that great as I hit my head and was only up for a matter of seconds.

but i make sure i mosh as much as possible when i go to shows. it's hurts like a bitch, but its fucking fun
----
27.06.2009 - 20:22
tulkas
el parcero
I don't have a problem with either, though I don't usually get in them. I'm smaller than most people so I don't really wanna get into something where everyone is gonna crush me And crowdsurf, never done it either. Though at the Slayer concerts here, there was a dude crowdsurfing and had on military boots, I hadn't noticed him till I got kicked in the head by him, haha. He passed through over our heads and landed in the arms of the security people
----
love is like a jar of shit with a strawberry on top
27.06.2009 - 20:25
TheOwl

I used to do loads when I was much younger.... now I prefer to stand at a "safe" point, enjoy the music, the smoke and the booze!!
28.06.2009 - 01:47
ilicit
Fallitur Visio
Written by tulkas on 27.06.2009 at 20:22

He passed through over our heads and landed in the arms of the security people

that is me

the security people is nice in some concerts, but in others they really hurt you : this one time, one security guy grabs me up and walked with me like 50m (my feet weren't touching the ground and I'm 1.83m tall).

Aggressive people I'm telling you...
----
<skoo> /quit
<skoo> owned
28.06.2009 - 07:42
Derwood

I feel the bruises too much these days, but I loved to mosh when I was younger. I played Canadian football and rugby, so pushing people around just seems a natural thing to me.

Crowd surfing, on the other hand, is an activity best left to those under 300 pounds.
----
You can't fight evil with a macaroni duck!
28.06.2009 - 12:23
Loyct
Account deleted
I am generally against the act of moshing. My perfect metal concert is restricted to headbanging only. However, there is no perfect concert (moshing is here to stay). Thus, this is just a personal philosophy. In real life/practical situations, i tolerate the moshpit, and stay far away from it. What i really cannot stand is a moshpit which is active for an entire show, and leaves no space for headbanging [especially in small/congested venues]

Crowdsurfing is fine..but an excess is still distracting.
28.06.2009 - 22:22
IronAngel

Moshing... It annoys the hell out of me, if they get in my face. If I'm drunk and it's not my favorite band playing, though, I might participate. I hate people who push you or otherwise take too much space for themselves. I'm not exactly timid, but I find such lack of manners appalling.

There's no crowdsurfing in Finland to speak of, really.

I'd rather people just focused on the music and kept to themselves. But I guess people have different ways of enjoying the experience. For me, it's headbanging and swaying to the music, singing along and really just acknowledging the artists and myself. For others it may be different, so I suppose it's only fair to let them enjoy the show in their own way.
29.06.2009 - 10:18
BloodTears
ANA-thema
I'm fine with moshing as long as it doesn't involve me, let's put it that way. I really like to headbang but mosh isn't my idea of fun, I like to see it from the outside though, it's a crazy thing. Crowdsurfing seems fine.

I really hate when I'm safely watching a concert and then get swept away by the crowd. Also, I need to breathe properly.

I'll stick to headbanging.
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29

Like you could kiss my ass.

My Instagram
29.06.2009 - 11:07
Valentin B
Iconoclast
One time i was moshing during a punk show on the beach and got like 10 kg of sand in my sneakers, they were never the same again lol

i wouldn't do that again though, especially at a metal concert, because i'm very skinny(64 kg at 1,86 m tall) and i get pushed around really easily, especially one time during the Priest show last year there was this annoying huge drunk guy, about 10 cm taller(and i don't see many people taller than me here) and much more muscular than me, he kept going back and forth pushing everyone, i hated it. the only moshable song during a Priest show is Breaking the Law and i was right next to the mosh it was pretty kickass

as for crowd surfing, never really seen that live, maybe at wacken but it should be pretty kickass, i'd do it during some of the bands i'm not really interested in like Airbourne or Machine Head but i'll be scared that my stuff would fall out of my pants though good thing i'll have the neck pouch and shit.
29.06.2009 - 11:55
Promonex
Cathemeral
I LOVE moshpits!

Of course only if the song permits a moshpit. I hate those idiots who mosh at black metal concerts or generally moments in which moshpits are totally uncalled for, I hate those idiots who try to make up a wall of death when there isn't even one of those "calm before the storm" moments in the song and I especially hate those idiots who use their fists and feet rather than palms and elbows. But normally you can always find me in the middle of or close to a moshpit. Even if I don't feel like moshing myself, because I feel more like headbanging, because I'm too exhausted or because I have my cam with me, I'll still be next to the moshpit keeping up the flow by pushing the moshers back into the ring and keeping them away from those who just want to headbang. And of course I also love the sight of a nice moshpit.

Crowdsurfing on the other hand isn't my kind of thing. I've only done it once at an Equilibrium gig when it was so packed that you neither had the chance to headbang nor to mosh, so I escaped "over the roof" and found myself a nice spot with lots of place behind the crowd to bang my head. But generally I don't like crowdsurfers as you never see them coming until it's too late and they kick you in the back of your head. Or they go down right behind you and slide down your spine with their steel toe caps...

Written by Norm on 28.06.2009 at 02:38

Moshing is about pushing eachother around to feel the violence of the Metal.

Well, for me moshing is more about becoming one amorphous mass with the crowd, disintegrating into one single water molecule inside a pressure cooker and completely losing control of sense and direction. It's not like a royal rumble of everyone versus everyone for me, but more like a community dance as everyone keeps everyone else in the flow of the pit. I don't care about the violence part, for me it's about becoming one with everyone else who loves to celebrate this awesome music in this unique way.
----
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu... This is the truth! This is my belief! ...At least for now.
- The Mystery of Life, Vol. 841 Ch. 26
30.06.2009 - 01:02
Valentin B
Iconoclast
Written by Promonex on 29.06.2009 at 11:55

But generally I don't like crowdsurfers as you never see them coming until it's too late and they kick you in the back of your head. Or they go down right behind you and slide down your spine with their steel toe caps...

man i fucking hate those guys... WHY THE HELL do you need to get the heaviest hardest most spiky steel & leather boots on the market when you go to a show? so you can say "i'm the evilest motherfucker here, i eat raw vampire bats and fried angel wings for breakfast ffs" not to mention the guys who mosh or crowdsurf with those kinds of spikes and extra-reinforced titanium boots with diamond spikes(for maximum damage TRVE-ness) on their feet.

ffs if people were really that careful for someone not to crush their feet while moshing all you need is a fucking pair of work shoes which you slip in right before you enter the club. but NOO you need to have at least 30 spikes on each armband and boot, how else will you defend yourself from the hordes of false metallers and "the idiots at the local death metal club"??

and i disagree with not moshing at a black metal concert , it's fast, violent, "evil", you can mosh! besides tell me who can headbang to Transylvanian Hunger or Behemoth's fast stuff? it's impossible every time i try to, i look like i have parkinson's disease in my neck lol.
01.07.2009 - 11:03
Fat & Sassy!

Written by ForeverDarkWoods on 27.06.2009 at 19:10

Moshing is good fun under the right circumstances.

It's the worst when the circumstances aren't right. This shit ruined a Les Claypool show I went to. It was so fucked up. I was up front, couldn't concentrate on the amazing musicianship of him and his band, because everybody in the venue thought it'd be cute to mosh. Not to mention me getting hit in the fucking head by a million douche-surfers. Why are people so fucking stupid? Moshing at a Claypool show is like moshing at a Zappa show: Fucking retarded. I'm glad Prognation is held at theaters and shit here. I don't need any 16-year-old assholes moshing during the Dream Theater and Zappa Plays Zappa acts. >:

Written by Guest on 28.06.2009 at 12:23

I am generally against the act of moshing. My perfect metal concert is restricted to headbanging only.

I agree with this 100%.
01.07.2009 - 13:46
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Written by Fat & Sassy! on 01.07.2009 at 11:03

Written by ForeverDarkWoods on 27.06.2009 at 19:10

Moshing is good fun under the right circumstances.

It's the worst when the circumstances aren't right. This shit ruined a Les Claypool show I went to. It was so fucked up. I was up front, couldn't concentrate on the amazing musicianship of him and his band, because everybody in the venue thought it'd be cute to mosh. Not to mention me getting hit in the fucking head by a million douche-surfers. Why are people so fucking stupid? Moshing at a Claypool show is like moshing at a Zappa show: Fucking retarded. I'm glad Prognation is held at theaters and shit here. I don't need any 16-year-old assholes moshing during the Dream Theater and Zappa Plays Zappa acts. >:

I wholeheartedly agree with you. But if you think moshing at a Claypool show is stupid... hell I have witnessed people moshing to funeral doom bands, now THAT is even more retarded.
Nowadays kids seem to think that if it is metal you should mosh to it and crowdsurf whereas originally moshing and crowdsurfing and stagediving only use to happen at punk, hardcore, thrash and death metal gigs.
And NO NO NO NO Iron Maiden does NOT play music to those things to. Old Heavy Metal is purely music to bang your head to.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

01.07.2009 - 14:51
BloodTears
ANA-thema
And Dickinson doesn't even like moshing. He often stopped concerts because of that.

I also think it's ridiculous to mosh in prog shows or the likes. I never witnessed that. I see a lot of moshing when Nu metal bands play.

I agree that the new kids getting into metal tend to associate it with moshing and might do that just to fit in or to prove a point. Or maybe they are too immature to understand the point of moshing.
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29

Like you could kiss my ass.

My Instagram
01.07.2009 - 20:55
Fat & Sassy!

Written by BloodTears on 01.07.2009 at 14:51

And Dickinson doesn't even like moshing. He often stopped concerts because of that.

I also think it's ridiculous to mosh in prog shows or the likes. I never witnessed that. I see a lot of moshing when Nu metal bands play.

I agree that the new kids getting into metal tend to associate it with moshing and might do that just to fit in or to prove a point. Or maybe they are too immature to understand the point of moshing.

It's not just "kids"... which is the one of the worst parts about it. I think some people are just ignorant of the true ways of metal.
04.07.2009 - 15:42
Valentin B
Iconoclast
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 01.07.2009 at 13:46

I wholeheartedly agree with you. But if you think moshing at a Claypool show is stupid... hell I have witnessed people moshing to funeral doom bands, now THAT is even more retarded.

Slow-Motion Mosh!
04.07.2009 - 19:33
Biedrik

Moshing is fun, and I really love crowd surfing. I just wish that people didn't flail around when they surf. It just makes it harder for the people holding you up, and you're likely to kick people. I myself have crowd-surfed many times, and I've only been dropped once. I immediately got up and felt fine, but the next morning when I got out of bed and sat down to eat something, my hip felt like someone had just shoved a knife into it.

But besides some crowdsurfing, I usually just headbang until it hurts, and then I keep going.,
----
I'm selling metal posters! Ask me about them if you're interested.
10.07.2009 - 10:47
Valentin B
Iconoclast
During the Manowar gig i found out i am mosh-resistant, meaning that if i plant my feet really firmly on the ground i can resist any pushing that comes from behind/in front of me because a moshpit started. unless of course there's a really drunk OBESE asshole flying towards me or i'm right in the middle of the pit. i hate those guys, it's like, the fatter these guys are, the drunker these guys get, and they're in more mood to start a moshpit. it's so annoying. oh yeaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah and i forgot to add they're sweatier, SO FUCKING SWEATY it's like they're molting.

also, who the hell moshes to Kings Of Metal? Kill With Power sure, but KoM? lol
10.07.2009 - 11:41
Ernotar
Cookie Mistress
Nothing can ruin a gig worse than a group of idiots that start a moshpit. I won't mind, if they wanna hurt themselves and look stupid, but whenever they disturb other people around them, I get pissed off. There are gigs, where I don't want to push myself in the front row, but would still like to see the band from let's say 5th row - well, I can't, because there's always a crazy moshpit and those people don't care about anyone else than themselves. I'm not violent, but there have been times, when I've had to really calm myself down in order not to start kicking and hitting those bastards. They could very well go somewhere in the back, where there's more room for the pit, since they're clearly not willing to see the band..they just want to mess around.

I also don't really understand those people who put up a moshpit in every gig, no matter what kind of music the band plays (of course I mostly go to metal gigs). For example last summer I was surprised to find myself next to a moshpit during a Volbeat gig. I mean, what the fuck?! And this year in Tuska there was a moshpit on a Volbeat gig again, but this time the people participating in it were naked.
----
You'll never walk alone.
10.07.2009 - 12:38
Charly546

Moshpits during Manowar and Volbeat? That's... retarded.

Moshing during thrash/hardcore/crossover/death shows - I have no problem with that. In fact, I might even participate for a song or 2. But, Manowar? Do some people visit shows only for the purpose of moshing?

Here are some general guidlines for moshing:
1) Know when to mosh. Do not mosh to traditional metal, do not mosh during acoustic parts and so on.
2) Do not remove your shirt.
3) Do not mosh when you are drunk as fuck.
4) Help those who fall.
5) Remove pointy objects from your clothes when moshing.
6) Do not annoy or disturb those who aren't moshing.
7) And the most important one - DON'T BE A DOUCHEBAG.
10.07.2009 - 12:53
Valentin B
Iconoclast
Written by Charly546 on 10.07.2009 at 12:38

Moshing during thrash/hardcore/crossover/death shows - I have no problem with that. In fact, I might even participate for a song or 2. But, Manowar? Do some people visit shows only for the purpose of moshing?

i was even close to a moshpit during Breaking the Law
10.07.2009 - 20:23
Biedrik

Written by Charly546 on 10.07.2009 at 12:38

Here are some general guidlines for moshing:
1) Know when to mosh. Do not mosh to traditional metal, do not mosh during acoustic parts and so on.
2) Do not remove your shirt.
3) Do not mosh when you are drunk as fuck.
4) Help those who fall.
5) Remove pointy objects from your clothes when moshing.
6) Do not annoy or disturb those who aren't moshing.
7) And the most important one - DON'T BE A DOUCHEBAG.

Good advice. Especially the thing about pointy objets. I've got a friend who had to leave a show because some asshole with wicked big spikes on his wristband accidentally stabbed him. He was bleeding too much to stay.
----
I'm selling metal posters! Ask me about them if you're interested.