03. People Of The Lie
04. World Beyond
05. Terror Zone
06. Agents Of Brutality
07. Material World Paranoia
08. Twisted Urges
09. Hidden Dictator
10. Mental Slavery

Once, in an interview, Mille Petrozza stated that all the songs (except two) in the Coma Of Souls album are "filler" songs. As he said, this happened because their label (after the big success of Extreme Aggression) forced them to write new songs in a very short time so that their next album would be released as soon as possible.

I find it very hard to believe that the exceptional "Material World Paranoia" or the "slow" thrash metal anthem called "Terrorzone", are two "unprepared" songs. No matter if this is a lie or not, Kreator managed to create a great album only one year after another.

So, lets talk about the album now. Coma Of Souls is the normal continuance of Extreme Aggression; the style of the music is the same and the production didn't change a lot. Actually, little changes in the production give a more thrashy atmosphere to the album (the sound of the instruments is almost the same, but the feeling created when listening to this album is much different). The music written for Coma Of Souls is really great. It is a bit more melodic, but this doesn't mean that the songs are not raw and violent. I guess that the opposite happens here: the melodies in the songs are haunting and intensify the suspense for the outbreak! The melodies (and generally the music) written for the song "Terrorzone" are magnificent; also the solo of "Agents Of Brutality" (minute 4:00'') has one of the greatest melodies the band has ever written. The drums are once more, great: fast, complex and remorseless! Mille's vocal performance is on its best, so I guess I don't need to say anything about it.

Coma Of Souls contains some songs which are narrowly related to the band's glorious era, as the same titled "Coma Of Souls" and "People Of The Lie", which is a thrash hit as it is catchy as hell! Another thing that diversifies a bit the musical content of the album was the leaving of Jörg "Tritze" Trzebiatowski (the second guitarist of the band) and the arrival of Frank "Blackfire" Gosdzik (ex-Sodom).

Well, in conclusion, we have to do with one of the best albums Kreatorhas ever made. Perfect music, great production, great performance from all the members of the band, very nice cover art (check it out carefully - it's not just a face of a demon). For me the only weak point on this album is the last song, "Mental Slavery"; I don't think it is as great as the rest. So get this legendary thrash metal album or die! Every song, (especially the first seven), is really excellent!

Rating breakdown
Performance: 10
Songwriting: 9
Originality: 9
Production: 10

Written by Deadmeat | 29.06.2009

Guest review disclaimer:
This is a guest review, which means it does not necessarily represent the point of view of the MS Staff.

Comments

Comments: 7   Visited by: 266 users
29.06.2009 - 22:21
thesabbathfan

Its amazing how petrozza can write such a magnificent album in such a short time
----
20.07.2009 - 23:50
Rating: 8
DrunkenFuck
Thrasher!
It doesn't matter how long he spends, they're still good! Look at Hordes of Chaos. Five years! It's a fucking masterpiece.
----
THRASH!!!
06.08.2009 - 15:20
Rating: 10
Thrasher Hungary

I think songwriting is 10/10 too!
So, then:
Performance: 10
Songwriting: 10
Originality: 9
Production: 10
I.m.o.
06.08.2009 - 15:21
Rating: 10
Thrasher Hungary

Written by DrunkenFuck on 20.07.2009 at 23:50

It doesn't matter how long he spends, they're still good! Look at Hordes of Chaos. Five years! It's a fucking masterpiece.

I think about 8 of their albums (the fist 5 and the last 3) are all fuckin' masterpieces!
But I agree all what you said!
09.08.2009 - 18:22
DrunkenFuck
Thrasher!
Written by Thrasher Hungary on 06.08.2009 at 15:21

Written by DrunkenFuck on 20.07.2009 at 23:50

I think about 8 of them albums (the fist 5 and the last 3) are all fuckin' masterpieces!
But I agree all what you said!

Yeah, agreed. I just tend to generally exclude the 90's albums when talking about their releases ^^
----
THRASH!!!
05.10.2012 - 03:09
LordHypnos
Account deleted
Almost all tracks are filler? Then they are the best fillers ever!
20.09.2021 - 06:45
F3ynman2000
Nocturnal Bro
It's a similar situation with Somewhere in Time and Spiritual Healing - very few tracks stand out... but that's because almost all of the songs are equally great!

Hits total: 11403 | This month: 19