Metal Storm logo
Metal: A Headbanger's Journey review

Reviewer:

For a long time metalheads have been waiting for a serious portrayal of their music and culture. In the past we have been represented by brain dead duos like Bill & Ted, Wayne & Garth and Beavis and Butt-head or reality show celebrities like the The Osbournes, Bret Michaels and Steven Adler. The media loves to paint metal musicians and their fans as the bane of society for shock value, profit or just a good laugh. A young anthropologist, and metalhead, from Canada named Sam Dunn aimed to change that in 2005 with Metal: A Headbanger's Journey.

My first viewing was very enthralling, for here is a serious film that looks academically at Heavy Metal. The film seemed to have all it needed to be a well created documentary: history, culture, music, interviews, concert clips, experts, musicians, etc. This was not some MTV production showcasing the likes of Black Sabbath, Poison and Slipknot while ignoring everything else out there. Nor was this some fan boy with a video camera run a muck worshiping every cave dwelling Black Metal band. Mr. Dunn aimed for the heart with his questions and pulled out his blood-soaked arrow with some well thought out answers dripping from it. All throughout the presentation there are great interviews ranging from the early days with John Kay, Tony Immoi and Geddy Lee through classic heroes like Bruce Dickinson, Dee Snider, Tom Araya, Ronnie James Dio and Lemmy to modern day greats such as Rob Zombie, Tom Morello, and Corey Taylor. Along side of the musicians are experts in the fields of sociology, musicology and journalism, as well as passionate fans.

Sounds a little too good to be true, eh? As much as I hate to admit it, Headbanger's Journey does fall flat in some areas. The biggest complaint most heard was the length being too short, which I totally agree with. But being Dunn's first project (as far as I know) I wasn't expecting this to come close to a Ken Burns' production, so I can forgive the length. My main criticism of the film was more over context. This is not because my beloved Dream Theater was never once mentioned in the film or that there were interviews from "poser" bands like Lamb Of God and Kittie. It is the fact that I came away thinking there are only two types of metal out there: Extreme Metal and Iron Maiden!

I totally understand that there are so many different styles of metal out there and it is impossible to do full documentation on all of them in an hour and a half. I get it. But the emphasis on death and black metal bands was just too much, especially when Dunn decides to start reading some death metal lyrics. Look, we get it Sam! These bands are obsessed with death. Granted the sociologist's perspective was really fascinating on the topic but we could have done with a little less of Cannibal Corpse. Same could be said for the black metal sections of the film. As we all know black metal is controversial and whatnot but I came away feeling like all metal bands hate Christians... and I am the Heavy Metal Minister! If the film makers wanted to get the point across that not all metalheads are stupid, angry and drunk, they could have done a little better of a job.

At the end of the day this is still an impressive achievement. For someone who knows nothing about metal I'd highly recommend this work. When this film came out I showed it to my Cultural Anthropology professor at college so he could have a better understanding of "those guys with long hair dressed in black" and he loved it so much that it actually became part of the curriculum for class (pretty impressive considering this was a small private Christian college!). Through all its minor faults the film accomplishes what it set out to do. Metal: A Headbanger's Journey was a huge step in showing the world who we are.

Written by Dane Train | 01.07.2009

Guest review disclaimer:
This is a guest review, which means it does not necessarily represent the point of view of the MS Staff.

Comments

Comments: 30   Visited by: 181 users
01.07.2009 - 01:47
tulkas
el parcero
It's been a while since I last watched the documentary, but I agree with what you say. Mainly, on these sort of documentaries, they tend to focus on one single genre, or the same 2 or 3 bands: Black Sabbath, Iron Maiden and Metallica. Like you say, since metal is so wide in it's sub-genres and documenting all of them is almost impossible, but still, it should be more varied.

But in spite of the flaws it may have, it's very accurate and can give at least a general idea of what metal really is. Interviewing musicians and asking their point of view on what they do, and why they do it, is excellent, and I do feel jealous of Mr. Dunn here for being able to meet with all those with who he meets, and having them come clean about the music. Like I said, and like you said, this can give a good general view of what metal really is and can open the door for a lot of people that aren't into it.
----
love is like a jar of shit with a strawberry on top
01.07.2009 - 02:24
munson
Typos:

1. End of Paragraph 1 (title missing a 'y' at the end)
2. In paragraph 2: "a muck" should be "amok"

Otherwise, a great review. I personally disagree with its shortcomings that you state mainly because of its target audience. I do not think that Dunn expected this to only be something for the metal community. Because he intended this for the whole world to view and better understand , there were things he needed to cover, as well as things that were frivolous (see Dream Theater). Beyond that, this is not meant to be a study of only the music, but the peoples involved with metal. Getting insight into their mindsets, practices, etc. I honestly think the only shortcoming is its length, as you touched upon.
01.07.2009 - 17:51
Dane Train
Beers & Kilts
elite
Written by munson on 01.07.2009 at 02:24

Otherwise, a great review. I personally disagree with its shortcomings that you state mainly because of its target audience. I do not think that Dunn expected this to only be something for the metal community. Because he intended this for the whole world to view and better understand , there were things he needed to cover,

And that was my point, when shown to someone who knows nothing about Metal, they come away thinking it is pretty much all Death and Black Metal.
----
(space for rent)
01.07.2009 - 23:54
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
staff
Lol. Glad someone had "the balls" to write a decent review of this. Though watching that other guy scramble to defend his piece of shit review made me laugh a lot harder than this.
----
"I got a lot of really good ideas, problem is, most of them suck."
- George Carlin
02.07.2009 - 02:16
munson
Written by Dane Train on 01.07.2009 at 17:51

Written by munson on 01.07.2009 at 02:24

Otherwise, a great review. I personally disagree with its shortcomings that you state mainly because of its target audience. I do not think that Dunn expected this to only be something for the metal community. Because he intended this for the whole world to view and better understand , there were things he needed to cover,

And that was my point, when shown to someone who knows nothing about Metal, they come away thinking it is pretty much all Death and Black Metal.

Yeah, I can see where you're coming from. I think the reason he puts more time and effort into this section of the documentary is because it is the least understood of all the metal genres (or, at least has the most misconceptions about it).
10.07.2009 - 04:29
Vikingocalypse;
Account deleted
I think it's funny how this review has been up for about a week yet not many commented. Mine on the other hand was up for not even two days and I was constantly replying comments. It is so sickening how humans run and quikly intervene in things that are pretty negative and not take much notice of things that are positive.

Another interesting thing is how the line "Nor was this some fan boy with a video camera run a muck worshiping every cave dwelling Black Metal band" deviously refers to me. Same with the comment by scumbag Dr.Rock. I was being sarcastic when I said "write your own review if you don't like mine and have the guts to. I didn't actually EXPECT someone to write "the evil twin" to mine. In fact, this review sucks. Right across the board, IT SUCKS. The writer shallowly took my review, shrunk it and flipped it. A huge evidence of that is the FIRST sentence. He wrote "For a long time metalheads have been waiting for a serious portrayal of their music and culture." That is another reversed tense of the LAST sentence in my review. Can't it get anymore obvious than this? I'm sorry this is not an efficient review. A review should be written purely from your own sentiment, LIKE WHAT I DID, not an "evil twin" to one you dislike.

What is more repulsive is the reviewer who published this. It is so disgusting to know that metalstorm has such an idiotic editor who went ahead and published something like this hoping to get a reaction out of metalstorm users. SHAME on you.

Also that review doesn't represent our subculture. It's only promoting more stereotypes but shallowly using Wacken and Norway as a backbone, spineless scum.
10.07.2009 - 06:48
Dane Train
Beers & Kilts
elite
Written by Guest on 10.07.2009 at 04:29

I think it's funny how this review has been up for about a week yet not many commented. Mine on the other hand was up for not even two days and I was constantly replying comments. It is so sickening how humans run and quikly intervene in things that are pretty negative and not take much notice of things that are positive.

Another interesting thing is how the line "Nor was this some fan boy with a video camera run a muck worshiping every cave dwelling Black Metal band" deviously refers to me. Same with the comment by scumbag Dr.Rock. I was being sarcastic when I said "write your own review if you don't like mine and have the guts to. I didn't actually EXPECT someone to write "the evil twin" to mine. In fact, this review sucks. Right across the board, IT SUCKS. The writer shallowly took my review, shrunk it and flipped it. A huge evidence of that is the FIRST sentence. He wrote "For a long time metalheads have been waiting for a serious portrayal of their music and culture." That is another reversed tense of the LAST sentence in my review. Can't it get anymore obvious than this? I'm sorry this is not an efficient review. A review should be written purely from your own sentiment, LIKE WHAT I DID, not an "evil twin" to one you dislike.

What is more repulsive is the reviewer who published this. It is so disgusting to know that metalstorm has such an idiotic editor who went ahead and published something like this hoping to get a reaction out of metalstorm users. SHAME on you.

Also that review doesn't represent our subculture. It's only promoting more stereotypes but shallowly using Wacken and Norway as a backbone, spineless scum.

Where to start, where to start? I guess the best way for me to do this is to address each section individually with a full response.

Another interesting thing is how the line "Nor was this some fan boy with a video camera run a muck worshiping every cave dwelling Black Metal band" deviously refers to me.

I find it very impressive that you can read my mind. Did you learn that at the Jedi Academy? Actually, that was not a reference to you at all. The only reason you would interpret it that way is if you a fan boy with a video camera run a muck worshiping every cave dwelling Black Metal band. The fact is that line was a reference to "True Norwegian Black Metal" which can be seen here...which is a very poorly made film.

I was being sarcastic when I said "write your own review if you don't like mine and have the guts to. I didn't actually EXPECT someone to write "the evil twin" to mine.

For a while I've been wanting to write a review of this film. It actually had nothing to do with your review. The past few months I've been using Headbanger's Journey and Global Metal in classes that I've been teaching about Metal and felt since I have been watching it so much I should write a review about it.

On another note, sarcasm does not work well over the internet. There is probably a good number of folks who thought you were being serious with that statement.

In fact, this review sucks. Right across the board, IT SUCKS. The writer shallowly took my review, shrunk it and flipped it. A huge evidence of that is the FIRST sentence. He wrote "For a long time metalheads have been waiting for a serious portrayal of their music and culture." That is another reversed tense of the LAST sentence in my review.

If my first sentence happens to be complete reversal of your last sentence it is purely coincidence. That opening statement is how I honestly felt about the film and had absolutely nothing to do with your writings. If you actually bothered to read my review you would see it has nothing in common with what you wrote. Your review is a play by play of every scene in the movie, mine is an analytical look at the material.

Besides you proclaiming that my review "sucks" I'd love to know exactly why. Was my writing poor? Was my interpretation wrong? Did not not explain my thoughts well enough? I'd really love to have your feed back on what exactly sucked.

'm sorry this is not an efficient review. A review should be written purely from your own sentiment, LIKE WHAT I DID
I was under the impression that it was my own sentiments with this review. I've actually be making these statements three years before you wrote your review. What you did was just describe (and rather poorly at that) what ever shot in the film consisted of.

Since you claim I am a bad reviewer and writer, I'd love to have your feedback on my article:

Jesus Christ and the Headbanger: Understanding A Heavy Metal Christian Worship

The Tolkien-Zeppelin Connection
----
(space for rent)
10.07.2009 - 17:49
gwarscumdog
I have this movie it tells a great deal of the world of metal and shows the respect of all the fans to their metal gods its an amazing piece but I like The Decline of a Western Civilization Part 2: The Metal Years better.
10.07.2009 - 21:40
Hamird
Lieutenant
Good review in my opinion. I don't like Sam Dunn, because if he like an artist, he show him as a God vessel on earth, and if he don't he portrait the artist as a complete arse. You can easily see it on his notes about Varg Vikernes who's introduced as "The Most Notorious Metal Artist of All Time" in first movie, and is portrait as Siddam Hossein on second movie.

I didn't like labeling Mayhem, as "The Most Controversial Underground Band" for the reason "The Former Vocalist Blew His Brain With A Shotgun And His Band Mate Made Necklace With His Pieces Of Skulls"..
What is true about Mayhem? Is it just Dead's skull or Euronymous' death? What about being one of the most genius bands of all time which have created albums that you never heard something like that before? Whether it's Deathcrush, Grand Declaration of War or Ordo Ad Chao.. They're all something you can talk about. But the guy short the Mayhem to necklace of skull.

As Dane Train said, it's recommended for those who are not in Metal.. I think this documentary is the idea of kids who started to listen to Metal for a while and want everybody not into Metal understand that what is Metal.. (I say this, because I clearly remember that I myself was such a person).. But when you're already know the basics, you may don't like it. But I don't say it's a bad movie, because you trust in what you hear from someone like Lemmy, Dio, Bruce Dickinson and other Metal legends. And they're on the DVD. But as it goes to the Sam Dunn himself I don't like him..
12.07.2009 - 00:07
Vikingocalypse;
Account deleted
Written by Dane Train on 10.07.2009 at 06:48

Written by Guest on 10.07.2009 at 04:29

Where to start, where to start? I guess the best way for me to do this is to address each section individually with a full response.

Another interesting thing is how the line "Nor was this some fan boy with a video camera run a muck worshiping every cave dwelling Black Metal band" deviously refers to me.

I find it very impressive that you can read my mind. Did you learn that at the Jedi Academy? Actually, that was not a reference to you at all. The only reason you would interpret it that way is if you a fan boy with a video camera run a muck worshiping every cave dwelling Black Metal band. The fact is that line was a reference to "True Norwegian Black Metal" which can be seen here...which is a very poorly made film.

I was being sarcastic when I said "write your own review if you don't like mine and have the guts to. I didn't actually EXPECT someone to write "the evil twin" to mine.

For a while I've been wanting to write a review of this film. It actually had nothing to do with your review. The past few months I've been using Headbanger's Journey and Global Metal in classes that I've been teaching about Metal and felt since I have been watching it so much I should write a review about it.

On another note, sarcasm does not work well over the internet. There is probably a good number of folks who thought you were being serious with that statement.

In fact, this review sucks. Right across the board, IT SUCKS. The writer shallowly took my review, shrunk it and flipped it. A huge evidence of that is the FIRST sentence. He wrote "For a long time metalheads have been waiting for a serious portrayal of their music and culture." That is another reversed tense of the LAST sentence in my review.

If my first sentence happens to be complete reversal of your last sentence it is purely coincidence. That opening statement is how I honestly felt about the film and had absolutely nothing to do with your writings. If you actually bothered to read my review you would see it has nothing in common with what you wrote. Your review is a play by play of every scene in the movie, mine is an analytical look at the material.

Besides you proclaiming that my review "sucks" I'd love to know exactly why. Was my writing poor? Was my interpretation wrong? Did not not explain my thoughts well enough? I'd really love to have your feed back on what exactly sucked.

'm sorry this is not an efficient review. A review should be written purely from your own sentiment, LIKE WHAT I DID
I was under the impression that it was my own sentiments with this review. I've actually be making these statements three years before you wrote your review. What you did was just describe (and rather poorly at that) what ever shot in the film consisted of.

Since you claim I am a bad reviewer and writer, I'd love to have your feedback on my article:

Jesus Christ and the Headbanger: Understanding A Heavy Metal Christian Worship

The Tolkien-Zeppelin Connection

You are a fucking fanatic Christian fundamentalist. You take this DVD, teach it to your fellow students at college with a grin on your face, as if metal is this genre of music that celebrates world's peace and welcomes everyone to join in this celebration of pop/rock bands that top charts and play loud on MTV when really they're aboard the same boat as pop stars. You know Ozzy Osbourn, Twisted Sister and junk are part of pop culture? HUGE part of it. Metal is supposed to be antisocial, rebellious, bloody, satanic, away from the so called "norm", and pretty much everything you find in death/doom/thrash/black metal. Yes there are softer sides to metal such as folk, symphonic, Viking, and some power, which are also very respectable, but in the end metal is generally an angry, proud, and face- smashing type of music. It's supposed to empower you into sticking your iron fist into your enemy's face and crush his nose. If you are so obsessed with scum Christian/monotheist fundamentalism, then listen to gospel music instead. Even pop music.

The reason I thought that line was referring to me is someone (if not yourself) called me a "fan boy" on one of the comments on my review. I do not pay attention to documentaries because most of them are crap, so no I have not heard of the documentary TNBM. However, judging by the title, the "fan boy" you were talking about PROBABLY(again I'm not sure because I haven't seen the damn thing) did what someone would expect after reading the title. That's why you think it's retarded because you are Christian right winged son of a middle-fingering hole. Just because you get offended by anti-Christian music doesn't mean you're actually going to expect every bloody metalhead to at least have the slightest respect towards your religion. Like me for example, I get extremely offended by Varg's Nazi statements, does that mean I am supposed to go around and preach to people that he is not part of black metal and metalheads shouldn't be listening to his music? FUCK NO. He DID play a huge and respectable role in black metal. Metalheads can LOVE him and buy his records. That doesn't mean that I have to follow their trend. NOR do I need to go around advising people to follow "the righteous path". TO EACH THEIR OWN.

That was the statement I tried making in the comments but every motherfucker read over it and continued spamming anyways thinking they are ture metalheads defending this piece of shit that only stereotyped our subculture even more, when most of THEM were not even fans of slipknot, korn, twisted sister, and other pop/rock bands.

As for the first line, again I am perseverant of the fact that it does not represent metal the correct way. It's still promoting bands like Dio, TS, Alice Cooper etc. And WHAT THE FUCK do you mean by "a little too much of Cannibal Corpse"? Do you have any fucking clue what they've done for death metal? So what if Sam read some Autopsy lyrics, clearly that section was supposed to be on death metal. What I mean is, if the DVD is going to be titled "METAL", then it needs to be presented CORRECTLY. Subculture wise, honestly it didn't really talk about our subculture that well. Deena said "black and leather are important." Sure they're part of metal, but not EVERY metalhead dresses in leather or all black. See what I mean?

As for Stigmata, that album is 100% original. The reason Mike formed Arch Enemy IS to space out from death metal. Also, Stigmata is a lot slower than Black Earth and is more dooming. Have you heard any other albums that sound similar to Stigmata? If so which ones? DO NOT say Burning Bridges or Black Earth; they're a lot faster. I own all of them.
12.07.2009 - 00:35
Dane Train
Beers & Kilts
elite
Written by Guest on 12.07.2009 at 00:07

You are a fucking fanatic Christian fundamentalist. You take this DVD, teach it to your fellow students at college with a grin on your face, as if metal is this genre of music that celebrates world's peace and welcomes everyone to join in this celebration of pop/rock bands that top charts and play loud on MTV when really they're aboard the same boat as pop stars. You know Ozzy Osbourn, Twisted Sister and junk are part of pop culture? HUGE part of it. Metal is supposed to be antisocial, rebellious, bloody, satanic, away from the so called "norm", and pretty much everything you find in death/doom/thrash/black metal. Yes there are softer sides to metal such as folk, symphonic, Viking, and some power, which are also very respectable, but in the end metal is generally an angry, proud, and face- smashing type of music. It's supposed to empower you into sticking your iron fist into your enemy's face and crush his nose. If you are so obsessed with scum Christian/monotheist fundamentalism, then listen to gospel music instead. Even pop music.

The reason I thought that line was referring to me is someone (if not yourself) called me a "fan boy" on one of the comments on my review. I do not pay attention to documentaries because most of them are crap, so no I have not heard of the documentary TNBM. However, judging by the title, the "fan boy" you were talking about PROBABLY(again I'm not sure because I haven't seen the damn thing) did what someone would expect after reading the title. That's why you think it's retarded because you are Christian right winged son of a middle-fingering hole. Just because you get offended by anti-Christian music doesn't mean you're actually going to expect every bloody metalhead to at least have the slightest respect towards your religion. Like me for example, I get extremely offended by Varg's Nazi statements, does that mean I am supposed to go around and preach to people that he is not part of black metal and metalheads shouldn't be listening to his music? FUCK NO. He DID play a huge and respectable role in black metal. Metalheads can LOVE him and buy his records. That doesn't mean that I have to follow their trend. NOR do I need to go around advising people to follow "the righteous path". TO EACH THEIR OWN.

That was the statement I tried making in the comments but every motherfucker read over it and continued spamming anyways thinking they are ture metalheads defending this piece of shit that only stereotyped our subculture even more, when most of THEM were not even fans of slipknot, korn, twisted sister, and other pop/rock bands.

As for the first line, again I am perseverant of the fact that it does not represent metal the correct way. It's still promoting bands like Dio, TS, Alice Cooper etc. And WHAT THE FUCK do you mean by "a little too much of Cannibal Corpse"? Do you have any fucking clue what they've done for death metal? So what if Sam read some Autopsy lyrics, clearly that section was supposed to be on death metal. What I mean is, if the DVD is going to be titled "METAL", then it needs to be presented CORRECTLY. Subculture wise, honestly it didn't really talk about our subculture that well. Deena said "black and leather are important." Sure they're part of metal, but not EVERY metalhead dresses in leather or all black. See what I mean?

You are a fucking fanatic Christian fundamentalist.

Really? How so? I'd love to hear your explanation as to why I fit into this category. So if you have the time, please, let me know why I fall into fundamentalism.

You take this DVD, teach it to your fellow students at college with a grin on your face, as if metal is this genre of music that celebrates world's peace and welcomes everyone to join in this celebration of pop/rock bands that top charts and play loud on MTV when really they're aboard the same boat as pop stars. You know Ozzy Osbourn, Twisted Sister and junk are part of pop culture? HUGE part of it.

Just to sent the facts straight; I am not in college anymore. I haven't been for several years.
But anyway, how do you know what my face looked like when I was using this as part of the material for the class? I don't recall you ever being there. If you were there, you'd realize that I never once taught that Metal celebrates world peace.

Metal is supposed to be antisocial, rebellious, bloody, satanic, away from the so called "norm", and pretty much everything you find in death/doom/thrash/black metal.

OH, really?

If you are so obsessed with scum Christian/monotheist fundamentalism, then listen to gospel music instead. Even pop music.

I am not. And if you had read my article, Jesus Christ and the Headbanger: Understanding A Heavy Metal Christian Worship you would realize why I listen to Metal and what role it plays in my spiritual life.

That's why you think it's retarded because you are Christian right winged son of a middle-fingering hole.

Again, your ignorance shines down like a spotlight on Broadway. I am not involved in right winged politics. In fact I am not involved at all since I am an anarchist. But since you love to stereotype people and come to crazy conclusions about people you never even met, I'd actually be willing to be you are some time of fundamentalist.

Just because you get offended by anti-Christian music doesn't mean you're actually going to expect every bloody metalhead to at least have the slightest respect towards your religion.
1.When did I say I was offended by anti-Christian music? Could you please supply me with the sorce of that quote.
2.I am not assuming anyone is going to respect me or my religion.

TO EACH THEIR OWN.

So then why are you getting angry at me for being a Christian? I didn't do anything to you, yet you are attacking my beliefs. I thought it was "to each their own" right?

And WHAT THE FUCK do you mean by "a little too much of Cannibal Corpse"? Do you have any fucking clue what they've done for death metal?

Well seeing how I've been listening to Metal since before you were even born, I have a good grasp on what Cannibal Corpse has done, especially since I was raised just south of Buffalo. What I meant by "too much" was just that; it seemed like they were being featured too much in the DVD. That is just feelings about it, no need to pass a kidney stone.
----
(space for rent)
12.07.2009 - 00:41
Vikingocalypse;
Account deleted
I'd reply your shit but I am in a good mood and it's too good ot be wasted and ruined on you.
12.07.2009 - 00:52
Dane Train
Beers & Kilts
elite
Written by Guest on 12.07.2009 at 00:41

I'd reply your shit but I am in a good mood and it's too good ot be wasted and ruined on you.

So in other words, you actually have nothing intelligent to say to me because you know you have no ground to stand on with you baseless accusations.
----
(space for rent)
12.07.2009 - 00:55
Vikingocalypse;
Account deleted
Written by Dane Train on 12.07.2009 at 00:52

Written by Guest on 12.07.2009 at 00:41

So in other words, you actually have nothing intelligent to say to me because you know you have no ground to stand on with you baseless accusations.

if you want to think that I am not going to stop you. You are a christian man, your words will mean nothing to me.
12.07.2009 - 01:03
Dane Train
Beers & Kilts
elite
Written by Guest on 12.07.2009 at 00:55

if you want to think that I am not going to stop you. You are a christian man, your words will mean nothing to me.

Stop me?
----
(space for rent)
12.07.2009 - 01:23
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
staff
Guys, seriously... Let that poor creature be.

My thoughts about the documental... It's horrible for those who know their metal but it's indeed a very good one for those who don't know a shit about the subject.

About the review: I already can give it thumbs up for not having a scene-by-scene descripcion. I don't need that, no one does...
It gives a easy to understand explanation without extremely personal opinions but still you gave your own thoughts, the balance was good so to speak. I would give it a 7-7,5 but that's just me. We all know that numbers doesn't really matter.
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29
Like you could kiss my ass
Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.
12.07.2009 - 18:11
DayFly
Good review Dane Train and as a word of advice, ignore that kid (I am loath to call him by his chosen name).
12.07.2009 - 18:14
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
elite
Written by X-Ray Rod on 12.07.2009 at 01:23

My thoughts about the documental... It's horrible for those who know their metal

I disagree with this statement. i didn't find it horrible at all. It was a good ecent documentary showing many aspects of metal, withotu too many mistakes.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

12.07.2009 - 22:35
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
staff
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 12.07.2009 at 18:14

Written by X-Ray Rod on 12.07.2009 at 01:23

My thoughts about the documental... It's horrible for those who know their metal

I disagree with this statement. i didn't find it horrible at all. It was a good ecent documentary showing many aspects of metal, withotu too many mistakes.

Well, I think I used a really strong word and that wasn't fair I guess. Maybe it was unsatisfying... Yeah, that would be better. Since it kept me interested for a while but most of the time I wanted them to talk about something else.
And the interview with Ghaal bothered me a lot... But it's not the guys fault that Ghaal is an idiot so I can take that.
----
Rod, let me love you.
15.07.2009 - 05:10
Vikingocalypse;
Account deleted
I'ms ticking to my guns, it's worse than shit, like the reviewer himself. And DayFly.
15.07.2009 - 23:53
Dane Train
Beers & Kilts
elite
Written by Guest on 15.07.2009 at 05:10

I'ms ticking to my guns, it's worse than shit, like the reviewer himself. And DayFly.

What did I ever do to you to deserve such animosity from you? Fine, I get it, you don't agree with my review of this movie. That is all good and well as everyone is entitled to their own opinion on such matters. You wrote your review. I wrote mine. They are two different perspectives and we should leav it at that. But this hatered you seem to bear for me is a little confussing. What did I do to upset you?
----
(space for rent)
16.07.2009 - 00:46
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
admin
Written by Dane Train on 15.07.2009 at 23:53

What did I ever do to you to deserve such animosity from you? Fine, I get it, you don't agree with my review of this movie. That is all good and well as everyone is entitled to their own opinion on such matters. You wrote your review. I wrote mine. They are two different perspectives and we should leav it at that. But this hatered you seem to bear for me is a little confussing. What did I do to upset you?

you wrote a better review... and one that didn't agree with his assessment.
----
get the fuck off my lawn.

Beer Bug Virus Spotify Playlist crafted by Nikarg and I. Feel free to tune in and add some pertinent metal tunes!
16.07.2009 - 04:30
Vikingocalypse;
Account deleted
Well, alright let's leave it at that.

I've always been hateful of many things, long story that doesn't concern you.
I just hate it when people write "good reviews" and no one really cares but when someone writes a "bad" review everyone is DESPERATLY eager to spam. It's soooo shallow.

It's people like most of you metalstormers that often make me feel I want to ABANDON and SPIT on metal and stick to goth rock cause fans are so much less challanging and appreciative of the music.
Then again I say "just fucking fans, not worth scum. This is good music and has saved me from alot so I will stay loyal to it no matter how big of assholes fans can be"

I get confused...I give up. Not goanna bother replying to this piece of shit anymore.

As for the comment form bittercold...same thing. His opinion, he can shove it up his own ass. I don't think THAT many people are interested in spreading the word.
16.07.2009 - 06:43
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
staff
Written by Guest on 16.07.2009 at 04:30

Well, alright let's leave it at that.

I've always been hateful of many things, long story that doesn't concern you.
I just hate it when people write "good reviews" and no one really cares but when someone writes a "bad" review everyone is DESPERATLY eager to spam. It's soooo shallow.

It's people like most of you metalstormers that often make me feel I want to ABANDON and SPIT on metal and stick to goth rock cause fans are so much less challanging and appreciative of the music.
Then again I say "just fucking fans, not worth scum. This is good music and has saved me from alot so I will stay loyal to it no matter how big of assholes fans can be"

I get confused...I give up. Not goanna bother replying to this piece of shit anymore.

As for the comment form bittercold...same thing. His opinion, he can shove it up his own ass. I don't think THAT many people are interested in spreading the word.

Your right that its easier to comment on a bad review than it is a good one. But there are many not-so-great reviews on this website that are overlooked in general. Yours defied pretty much every guideline in the FAQ about writing guest reviews so it attracted a lot of attention.

About your comment on abandoning metal...its just laughable really. First of all, keep in mind metal is a much wider spectrum than goth rock, therefore the fan base is going to be much bigger, so your probably going to encounter more idiots. Secondly, the fact that you are tempted to drop an entire genre of music simply because of the fan base, that says more about you than it does us.

Written by Dane Train on 15.07.2009 at 23:53

Don't feel bad, I got a nasty PM from him, from what I hear I'm not the only one.
----
"I got a lot of really good ideas, problem is, most of them suck."
- George Carlin
16.07.2009 - 21:35
DayFly
For heaven's sake, ignore the kid. This thread should be about Dane Train's review and the documentary, not a pointless flamewar.
18.07.2009 - 02:40
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
staff
Dudes... I put that image for a reason XD
----
Rod, let me love you.
19.07.2009 - 14:29
tea[m]ster
Au Pays Natal
contributor
This is when I first saw/heard angela glassow/arch enemy
----
rekt
18.11.2009 - 18:08
JD
Account deleted
I watched this documentary for the 5 times it's
18.11.2009 - 18:34
Overlord_PT
Written by Guest on 18.11.2009 at 18:08

I watched this documentary for the 5 times it's

i have lost the count!
11.11.2011 - 14:20
Timmeh
Dudeman
Good review, haven't seen this film in a while but I will forever remember the interview with the Mayhem members. "Who are they? Which one? Who the fuck are you talking to? Fuck them! ...Fuck you!" - Necrobutcher

Hits total: 5642 | This month: 7