Style: Folk metal
Release date: 2009

01. Zomerzon En Heidebloed
02. Bolverk's Verhaal
03. Odin's Lied
04. Hamer Van De Dondermaker
05. Jagersmaan
06. Wat Zullen We Drinken [bonus track]

Yeah, you knew this is an amateur pagan metal band as soon as you saw the cover. So is it good? I'm not too sure to be honest. I think the guitar work is really standard. I think the vocals, probably mainly the raspy growling type with a few clean choruses in between, aren't very remarkable, slightly under average I suppose. I think the drumming is done with a drum-machine and is mainly mid-tempo. As far as I can tell the variation within the songs is very low and I have the feeling there isn't even a tiny speck of originality on this demo, except perhaps that they're singing in Dutch (which I can only tell by the song titles anyway).

Usually I'd be able to tell you all of these things confidently. However this self-titled release has one of the worst productions I've ever heard. That's one thing I know for sure.

While listening to it I have to turn up the volume twice as loud as usual to hear anything at all. Even then there are parts of it where I can't even tell for sure if they even use electric guitars or not. Often it's only folk instruments and vocals and the drumming somewhere in the back. Sometimes the bass guitar is way too loud in the mix, sometimes it's rather the opposite. It's a fact that it's very well possible to get a good production on self-produced material nowadays. However this demo has a sound-quality to it that not even Norwegian black metal bands from the early 90s would have wanted to disfigure their songs with. Trying to see through the mists of bad sound and discovering the music hidden underneath, I only found them to be a under average, genre-typical band in a metal style that has too many bands playing it anyway.

Rating breakdown
Performance: 7
Songwriting: 6
Originality: 4
Production: 3

Written by Bas | 16.07.2009

Comments

Comments: 3   Visited by: 44 users
16.07.2009 - 20:31
Lily_Lazer
Outdated
Quote:
Yeah, you knew this is an amateur pagan metal band as soon as you saw the cover.

Lookin at the cover I see that they're imitating The Mantle album by Agalloch. The same elk, only with (judging by the theme, then female) companions =D

As of the music of the band, it's kinda mediocre imo, though luckily for me, the MySpace songs had it all on normal volume and everything was heard finely. But well, this is a demo and everyone has to start their music way from somewhere,the band has just started and the mediocre music is better than totally unbearable... And seeing what you said in your review about the production, then the studio guys where the demo was recorded have to do their homework aswell.
----
-Lily
17.07.2009 - 20:56
Rating: 5
Bas
Retired Staff
Written by Lily_Lazer on 16.07.2009 at 20:31

As of the music of the band, it's kinda mediocre imo, though luckily for me, the MySpace songs had it all on normal volume and everything was heard finely. But well, this is a demo and everyone has to start their music way from somewhere,the band has just started and the mediocre music is better than totally unbearable... And seeing what you said in your review about the production, then the studio guys where the demo was recorded have to do their homework aswell.

It's obviously self-produced, but even then it has a horrible production for a self-produced released...

Of course they have to start from somewhere and maybe they'll become pretty good after a while, but for now it's not the case yet
----
BAS - Beautifully Accented Sexiness
26.08.2009 - 14:06
Ellrohir
Heaven Knight
I checked them on MySpace and I quite like it...i am not concentrating that much on anatomizing sound quality, but on the overall feeling - and that was good
----
My rest seems now calm and deep
Finally I got my dead man sleep

Hits total: 3047 | This month: 3