Metal Storm logo
Do you think metal fans are more intelligent than the average person?

Original post

Posted by Haddonfield, 20.07.2009 - 01:55
I know this might seem a wierd topic but it's something I've considered for a long time. I will explain. When I was in high school, not many people listened to rock or metal, as you would expect from 11 to 15 year olds. I think people find their personilty at around 16 or 17 years old. We were about 5 rock (metal) fans in a school of 400 pupils. When I moved on to Lycee (French equivalent to College), there were slighty more rock/metal fans, it's funny to notice how those people who listened to Nirvana and co. back in high school suddenly appeared to listen to all sorts of metal bands. We were all drawn together. Basically every metalhead in the school new the others. We were a maximum of 30 metalheads out of 700 students. I must mention now that in high school and Lycee, the rock/metal fans were always average students, getting average marks without working at all, and I was one of them. When I moved on to Uni, it seemed most my metal friends had to, and many more from over colleges. In the first year, of English studies, we were a full line in the amphitheatre who the lecturers depised and saw as rejects and future dropouts. Again, we all got slightly about average grades, just enough to get through to the following year with the minimum of work. Funny enough, along the years us metalheads managed to progress from year to year whilst others droped out. In our third year we were like 20 out of 60 students. During my masters degree, we were 5 out of fifteen. It's as if we're the only people with a mind capable of analysing a subject quickly and intelligently are capable of understanding the beauty of metal. I would like to know whether other people have experienced or noticed similar things or whether it was a one of matter that occured during my education (although the amount of fresh metalhead students turning up every year at Uni tends to justify my statement).

PS: A mate made me notice the same thing with left handed people. Every year the proportion of left handed people in the class tended to rise, I remember one lesson when there were more lefthanded people than right handed and that is not natural.
16.03.2013 - 19:15
CyberSymphony
Ollie
I think this is an interesting topic, I knew a girl from my secondary/high school, and she listened to metal (mostly heavy/thrash and death metal) and she graduated with high grades in nearly all of her subjects. I listened to metal in half of my time in school and mostly studied/revised at home with metal music playing.
On the other hand, I have worked with people who listen to music from popular music charts who are fricking stupid. It kinda works either way in my opinion.
16.03.2013 - 19:20
Fritillaria
Account deleted
Written by CyberSymphony on 16.03.2013 at 19:15

I think this is an interesting topic, I knew a girl from my secondary/high school, and she listened to metal (mostly heavy/thrash and death metal) and she graduated with high grades in nearly all of her subjects. I listened to metal in half of my time in school and mostly studied/revised at home with metal music playing.
On the other hand, I have worked with people who listen to music from popular music charts who are fricking stupid. It kinda works either way in my opinion.

yeah that's what I meant.
17.03.2013 - 05:39
nasmith
Written by Mattybu on 16.03.2013 at 19:06

Written by nasmith on 16.03.2013 at 08:21

TBH I think that bands that play technical metal (tech death, prog, etc.) have as much intellectual legitimacy as jazz musicians in at least the skill and usually creativity required to make the music.

On the other hand, experimental/avant-garde bands can be seen as even more intellectual in the way they push the boundary of metal and not just music (because metal has been pushing the boundaries of music further and further since the beginning ). For example, Sunn O))), who play drone metal, try to play minimalist guitar music played so loudly that it gives the audience a drowsy feeling, kind of like meditation (thus it's no surprise that they get a lot of hipsters at their shows as well as metalheads). That's the kind of stuff that makes you think: Is this metal? is this even music? I personally would be interested in going to a gig by them as much as a death metal gig.

I think playing technical death metal just requires a good understanding of your instrument and good (surprise) technique. I don't think that has any inherent connection to intelligence, just how much you practice and push yourself. And in terms of creativity a lot of tech deaths bands really aren't all too creative. A lot of tech death soloing is guitar-jerking.

I mean, people have been citing honors students who listen to metal as a measure of their intelligence, when in reality the same can be said about grades in school. If you push your ass off to get good grades, then you can do it even if you don't have as high of intelligence per se than that Einstein who sits in the back of the room and daydreams about quantum physics instead of paying attention to the history class he's failing.
24.03.2013 - 21:44
Skøllgrim
Northern
I think the term metalhead or metal fan doesn't do justice to the various people contained in it.
There's idiots as well as geniuses within the realm of metal, and a lot more comes into play than just being a metal fan.
It depends where you are from, what kind of metal you're into and much more. I know this sounds like stereotyping, but honestly though... shit matters.
23.07.2013 - 02:47
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Doesnt seems so

http://thebatavian.com/howard-owens/arrests-and-citations-reported-mayhem-festival-darien-lake/38447

BTW why media publish names, but same time pfedoffil names are hidden?
----
I stand whit Ukraine and Israel. They have right to defend own citizens.

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
12.08.2013 - 23:30
Sinfonia
I don't think metalheads are more intelligent, I think they're more open minded, which is good. More people should be
----
When there is a voice recalling, when a whisper is resounding
When a feather's grazing you again, you start traveling with your mind.
13.08.2013 - 19:24
Lit.
Account deleted
Written by Sinfonia on 12.08.2013 at 23:30

I don't think metalheads are more intelligent, I think they're more open minded, which is good.

I think there's a better chance of them being more intelligent than more open-minded.
13.08.2013 - 19:40
Azarath
Free as a.. Fish
No.
13.08.2013 - 21:19
Mattybu

I don't think metalheads are more intelligent, I think they're more open minded, which is good. More people should be

I would have to disagree with you there. Speaking only musically and not in other areas of life anyways. I think metalheads would be some of the first people to dismiss some of the great hip-hop, jazz, pop, and multitude of other genres with good tunes to be found. That's just my personal speculation.
13.08.2013 - 21:46
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by Mattybu on 13.08.2013 at 21:19

I would have to disagree with you there. Speaking only musically and not in other areas of life anyways. I think metalheads would be some of the first people to dismiss some of the great hip-hop, jazz, pop, and multitude of other genres with good tunes to be found. That's just my personal speculation.

maybe just because they don't like it? That doesn't mean they are close minded. Open minded doesn't mean you like more than one genre, it means you give everything a fair chance.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

14.08.2013 - 00:02
Mattybu
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 13.08.2013 at 21:46

I think metalheads would be some of the first people to dismiss some of the great hip-hop, jazz, pop, and multitude of other genres with good tunes to be found. That's just my personal speculation.

maybe just because they don't like it? That doesn't mean they are close minded. Open minded doesn't mean you like more than one genre, it means you give everything a fair chance.

I was more getting at not giving it a fair chance. Obviously you can still be open minded and not like stuff, the word(s) doesn't imply you have to like everything.

Here is an example. Picture a guy wearing a Pantera shirt with a flame design on it hanging around at a metal show. I can see that guy saying, when asked, what do you think of pop music, "FUCK THAT SHIT ITS NOT FUCKIN HEAVY ENOUGH YEAH1!! RIP DIMEBAG!!! FUCK!!" Meanwhile, probably hasn't actually given the genre as a whole a chance, and it could be replaced with other genres too.

Of course I am generalizing and not every metalhead is closed minded and not every Pantera fan is braindead (only about 95%) but thats basically the angle I was coming from. And maybe I am wrong too, I don't know its just my best guess.
14.08.2013 - 00:36
Vombatus
Potorro
Concerning metal, you have idiots and geniuses alike. Hmmmm like anywhere else, duh.

But we know that some metalheads like to think they are totally unique, singular and free compared to the so called "normal people" and bring up stupid ideas and statistics to try to prove how awesome we are. This is one of those threads....
14.08.2013 - 09:46
Góral
Combo Breaker

I knew a girl from my secondary/high school, and she listened to metal (mostly heavy/thrash and death metal) and she graduated with high grades in nearly all of her subjects.

Damn, and I lose my precious time to learning. All I need is just to listen more metal. And I really need to start listening to more heavy/thrash and death, because black and doom doesn't help in study so far. However, a really interesting theory
14.08.2013 - 10:59
Cynic Metalhead
Paisa Vich Nasha
Written by Góral on 14.08.2013 at 09:46

I knew a girl from my secondary/high school, and she listened to metal (mostly heavy/thrash and death metal) and she graduated with high grades in nearly all of her subjects.

because black and doom doesn't help in study so far. However, a really interesting theory

Did you try hip hop? 'Em stuff?

i think it gonna help you more rather than listening to thrash/death or doom stuff while studying.
14.08.2013 - 12:10
Góral
Combo Breaker
Written by Cynic Metalhead on 14.08.2013 at 10:59

Did you try hip hop? 'Em stuff?

i think it gonna help you more rather than listening to thrash/death or doom stuff while studying.

And what is so special in hip hop?
14.08.2013 - 16:03
Spirit Molecule
spirit molecule
Looking through this thread I would have to say no
----
If you never wake up from a dream does it become reality?

Last fm
Don't click here
14.08.2013 - 18:15
Thrashette
On the topic of metalheads being more open-minded, I think it takes some level of open-mindedness to give metal a fair chance in the first place. One could also argue that metal helps you expand your taste in music. For instance, I hated the sound of opera vocals when I was younger, but symphonic metal got me to like them. Folk metal helped me appreciate actual folk music and all the exotic instruments that come with it. And just about everyone who's been listening to metal for a while will say that they started off being mostly into one subgenre (usually one of the more catchy or melodic ones) and then had their music taste expand to other subgenres.

I think metalheads would be some of the first people to dismiss some of the great hip-hop, jazz, pop, and multitude of other genres with good tunes to be found. That's just my personal speculation.

I will agree that metal has a lot of these people as well. Some metalheads have a very narrow comfort zone, sometimes to the point of only liking one subgenre of metal. Then again, every genre will have some people who refuse to listen to any other music. My brother is really into rap and we used to argue every day and dismiss each other's taste in music as shit when we were younger. But as we grew up, we "agreed to disagree" and learnt to respect each other's music. A lot of the metalheads who dismiss other genres as shit are young or immature people who are going through their "elitist" phase or just fed up with the equally immature people in other scenes saying that metal is just screaming, hitting random notes, and worshipping Satan.
14.08.2013 - 20:40
CyberSymphony
Ollie
Written by Góral on 14.08.2013 at 09:46

Damn, and I lose my precious time to learning. All I need is just to listen more metal. And I really need to start listening to more heavy/thrash and death, because black and doom doesn't help in study so far. However, a really interesting theory

I starting listening to Metal half way through my school life, though I hated nearly all of school and came out was only a few good grades. Up to now, I like to listen to alot of atmospheric or 'themed' metal when I'm studying. I have to say electronic/trance music helps me with stuff like that too. May not work for others though.
14.08.2013 - 21:15
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
I think metal heads are more open mindet because they are modern and free from old conservative way of thunking and also many are athesists and unbelievers, some complain they are satanists or like facebook pick what I saw where was written hail to satin (under was I prefere silk) son some of them are satinists, many are free od old bullshit and it make person open mindet
----
I stand whit Ukraine and Israel. They have right to defend own citizens.

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
15.08.2013 - 00:57
Thrashette
Written by Bad English on 14.08.2013 at 21:15

I think metal heads are more open mindet because they are modern and free from old conservative way of thunking and also many are athesists and unbelievers, some complain they are satanists or like facebook pick what I saw where was written hail to satin (under was I prefere silk) son some of them are satinists, many are free od old bullshit and it make person open mindet

That is true, but it doesn't apply to every metalhead (some of them actually are religious or conservative) and some of those people are at the point of being just as closed minded as the typical conservative old fashioned people that they claim to be the opposite of. I'm referring to those people who are atheists/satanists to the point of criticizing others for being Christian/Muslim/whatever and assuming that all of those types of people are stupid and closed minded. Of course there are religious people like that, but extremists only represent a minority. I'm sure it differs in other places, but I actually have met many religious people who are nice and open minded. It's very much like people who claim to be so unique, rebellious, and open minded but are really just conforming with another clique and shunning everyone who's different from them, another thing very often seen among young/immature metalheads.
15.08.2013 - 01:01
Uldreth
Written by Thrashette on 14.08.2013 at 18:15

On the topic of metalheads being more open-minded, I think it takes some level of open-mindedness to give metal a fair chance in the first place. One could also argue that metal helps you expand your taste in music. For instance, I hated the sound of opera vocals when I was younger, but symphonic metal got me to like them. Folk metal helped me appreciate actual folk music and all the exotic instruments that come with it. And just about everyone who's been listening to metal for a while will say that they started off being mostly into one subgenre (usually one of the more catchy or melodic ones) and then had their music taste expand to other subgenres.

Based on personal experiences - I disagree.

When I got into metal it happened basically by watching a World of Warcraft video that had Rejection Role by Soilwork as one of the musics underneath it. I liked the song (mostly the clean chorus at the time though) and decided to look up the band that lead me to In Flames, and the latter was pretty much the first metal band I listened to "properly".

This process did not require any open mind or anything like that at all. The song appealed to me and that was it. Putting prejudices behind me was the way I got into BM back then though, but I think nobody in their right mind would say the stereotypical BM scene is openminded.
15.08.2013 - 05:31
Mr. Blonde
Intelligent is way too broad of a descriptor. Open mindedness is also too general. Metalheads just like any other fans of any other subculture have both ends of the open/close minded spectrum and everything in between.

I think metal fans are more BOLD! Why are we more bold? Because we are willing to travel the roads less traveled. Experience listening material that is more challenging and stimulating than what most people are used to and more than what some people can even handle.
14.09.2013 - 02:52
Schizoid6.6
It's all far too vague to determine. Just like the questions 'are atheists more smarter than theist?' or are vegetarians smarter than meat-eaters? We can't generalize just becuase we may have encountered people who seem intelligent and carry a certain preference.

However, playing and instrument will help restore the connections in the brain and generate new brain cells which can improve spatial skills and memory. It takes a lot more effort to play than to listen.
17.09.2013 - 19:26
Lady GaGa
Account deleted
No
22.09.2013 - 12:28
Monolithic
♠♠♠
Not necessarily.
08.11.2013 - 18:05
Góral
Combo Breaker
Written by Guest on 17.09.2013 at 19:26

No

Short and to the point.
09.11.2013 - 20:38
CobiWan1993
Secundum Filium
No, they aren't anymore or less intelligent than the average person, I've seen my fair share of both smart and dumb metal heads.
----
Ordinary men hate solitude. But the Master makes use of it, embracing his aloneness, realizing he is one with the whole universe (Lao Tzu).
12.11.2013 - 01:21
LLTNF
Account deleted
Written by CobiWan1993 on 09.11.2013 at 20:38

No, they aren't anymore or less intelligent than the average person, I've seen my fair share of both smart and dumb metal heads.

Likewise. One needs to go no father than a metal concert at a local concert hall to see that there are plenty of metalheads that act no better than your average (or below average) drugged, drunk club-goer.
12.11.2013 - 01:58
CobiWan1993
Secundum Filium
Written by Guest on 12.11.2013 at 01:21

Written by CobiWan1993 on 09.11.2013 at 20:38

Likewise. One needs to go no father than a metal concert at a local concert hall to see that there are plenty of metalheads that act no better than your average (or below average) drugged, drunk club-goer.

Yep, I've seen a ton at those places for sure.
----
Ordinary men hate solitude. But the Master makes use of it, embracing his aloneness, realizing he is one with the whole universe (Lao Tzu).
07.12.2013 - 02:09
SolracV
I'd say yes and no.

No, because your music tastes don't determine your intelligence and your perspective towards life. Influences from social, cultural, political and educational occurrences do.
Yes, because, in a way, Metal exhorts you to gather knowledge and discover, let it be through the lyrics, through the songwriting or through the people. Metal is one of those genres that actually makes you question towards anything in life, where it might impact you enough to cause change, your curiosity might impulse you to actually learn and find out the many topics within Metal, musically and socially.

I guess that's why many Metalheads are deemed as 'smarter'. The Metal genre relates the issues we face throughout life and makes us wonder and question. Moreover, the music that Metal transcends is one of power and emotion.