Metal Storm logo
Do you think metal fans are more intelligent than the average person?

Original post

Posted by Haddonfield, 20.07.2009 - 01:55
I know this might seem a wierd topic but it's something I've considered for a long time. I will explain. When I was in high school, not many people listened to rock or metal, as you would expect from 11 to 15 year olds. I think people find their personilty at around 16 or 17 years old. We were about 5 rock (metal) fans in a school of 400 pupils. When I moved on to Lycee (French equivalent to College), there were slighty more rock/metal fans, it's funny to notice how those people who listened to Nirvana and co. back in high school suddenly appeared to listen to all sorts of metal bands. We were all drawn together. Basically every metalhead in the school new the others. We were a maximum of 30 metalheads out of 700 students. I must mention now that in high school and Lycee, the rock/metal fans were always average students, getting average marks without working at all, and I was one of them. When I moved on to Uni, it seemed most my metal friends had to, and many more from over colleges. In the first year, of English studies, we were a full line in the amphitheatre who the lecturers depised and saw as rejects and future dropouts. Again, we all got slightly about average grades, just enough to get through to the following year with the minimum of work. Funny enough, along the years us metalheads managed to progress from year to year whilst others droped out. In our third year we were like 20 out of 60 students. During my masters degree, we were 5 out of fifteen. It's as if we're the only people with a mind capable of analysing a subject quickly and intelligently are capable of understanding the beauty of metal. I would like to know whether other people have experienced or noticed similar things or whether it was a one of matter that occured during my education (although the amount of fresh metalhead students turning up every year at Uni tends to justify my statement).

PS: A mate made me notice the same thing with left handed people. Every year the proportion of left handed people in the class tended to rise, I remember one lesson when there were more lefthanded people than right handed and that is not natural.
19.04.2015 - 00:30
Ilham
Giant robot
Written by angel. on 19.04.2015 at 00:21

Some average retards are more intelligent than metal fans.

Very well said.
20.04.2015 - 01:50
nuttyflavors
I think within the metal community every metal head thinks every metal head is intelligent. Same goes with other genres (i.e. people that listen to rap think people that listen to rap are geniuses).
----
My entire black metal CD collection plus a DVD and some black/death bands

http://www.ebay.com/itm/121621202578?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1555.l2649
20.04.2015 - 02:31
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by nuttyflavors on 20.04.2015 at 01:50

I think within the metal community every metal head thinks every metal head is intelligent. Same goes with other genres (i.e. people that listen to rap think people that listen to rap are geniuses).

true but rappers are connected whit gang bangers and gang bangers shout other bagers even they like similar music , well in USA
----
I stand whit Ukraine and Israel. They have right to defend own citizens.

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
20.04.2015 - 03:16
no one
Account deleted

no way, i defiitely don't think everyone on here is a genius
20.04.2015 - 13:09
Ilham
Giant robot

Anyone who thinks that people think that way needs some IQ pills themselves.
22.04.2015 - 09:57
Ganondox
I think studies have actually shown that on average metalheads are more intelligent than the average person, but don't take that too seriously.
22.04.2015 - 11:29
M C Vice
ex-polydactyl
Not sure if it's related, but there seems to be a lot of uni graduates/students on this site.
----
"Another day, another Doug."
"I'll fight you on one condition. That you lower your nipples."
" 'Tis a lie! Thy backside is whole and ungobbled, thou ungrateful whelp!"
22.04.2015 - 18:55
IronAngel
Written by M C Vice on 22.04.2015 at 11:29

Not sure if it's related, but there seems to be a lot of uni graduates/students on this site.

I would imagine that is the case on most message boards. There are probably statistics on that, but I would speculate without any real basis that 1) our age group is one of the biggest internet-users, 2) forums like ours are a little old, the younger mainstream going for more modern platforms (Twitter, Tumblr, what-have-you) and 3) Uni students/graduates have more free time and more likely to have stable internet connections than their working, lower-educated contemporaries, and are more inclined to writing and reading stuff.

I also frequent a private NWN role-playing server's forum, though, and I can say with certainty that the average intelligence over there is higher than on MS. But that probably has to do with the fact that devoting your time to a decade-old game which consists of writing stories and crunching numbers attracts certain qualities. Metal is much less particular about its crowd.
22.04.2015 - 21:33
no one
Account deleted
Written by IronAngel on 22.04.2015 at 18:55

I would imagine that is the case on most message boards. There are probably statistics on that, but I would speculate without any real basis that 1) our age group is one of the biggest internet-users, 2) forums like ours are a little old, the younger mainstream going for more modern platforms (Twitter, Tumblr, what-have-you) and 3) Uni students/graduates have more free time and more likely to have stable internet connections than their working, lower-educated contemporaries, and are more inclined to writing and reading stuff.

I also frequent a private NWN role-playing server's forum, though, and I can say with certainty that the average intelligence over there is higher than on MS. But that probably has to do with the fact that devoting your time to a decade-old game which consists of writing stories and crunching numbers attracts certain qualities. Metal is much less particular about its crowd.

Though it's mostly true, i don't think uni students are necessarily always more intelligent. They may be more educated in the things they have been studying, but a lot of people i know who come out of uni with there degree thinking there the masters of everything, have no intelligence in real life skills, or just plain dumb in other areas, i know a lot of these people.

Writing and doing essays a lot definitely helps you look more articulate and intelligent on a forum though.
22.04.2015 - 23:58
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
elite
There, their, they're
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

23.04.2015 - 00:03
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 22.04.2015 at 23:58

There, their, they're

what? There and their and they are , are not same
----

apos;'
[image]
23.04.2015 - 00:10
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
elite
Written by Bad English on 23.04.2015 at 00:03

Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 22.04.2015 at 23:58

There, their, they're

what? There and their and they are , are not same

Apparently to some people posting here they are all spelled there, there and there
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

23.04.2015 - 00:12
Zap
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 23.04.2015 at 00:10

Apparently to some people posting here they are all spelled there, there and there

They're, they're, it's gonna be alright.
23.04.2015 - 00:17
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
elite
Written by Zap on 23.04.2015 at 00:12

Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 23.04.2015 at 00:10

They're, they're, it's gonna be alright.

----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

23.04.2015 - 01:04
no one
Account deleted
Ironic that on the topic of intelligence a 47 year has sunk low enough to be mocking someone on "they're" spelling mistakes.
23.04.2015 - 01:08
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
elite
It's funny/ironic a 31-year-old native speaker doesn't even know the difference, apparently
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

23.04.2015 - 02:13
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
I know difference, just don't care to much, I am famous here to make errors
----

apos;'
[image]
23.04.2015 - 02:27
no one
Account deleted
Written by Bad English on 23.04.2015 at 02:13

I know difference, just don't care to much, I am famous here to make errors

Yeah most people don't care too much, as they still get the gist of what the person is saying. Some people though think it's the best, they will poke fun at it and laugh there ass off.....that's just how much they have goin on for them.
23.04.2015 - 02:34
Karlabos
Meat and Potatos
I must say I find my eyes a bit annoyed by the misuses, but I never point out the mistakes for politeness =]
----
"Aah! The cat turned into a cat!"
- Reimu Hakurei
23.04.2015 - 04:53
Guib
Thrash Talker
The world will be a better/safer place when all ''Grammar Nazis'' leave the internet.
You all know it... I mean why would you guys even care? It's a battle you can't win.
Grammar will always be used the wrong way on internet, it's a constant/useless battle.
If everyone would write properly, grammar wouldn't be a thing anyways. You don't see any ''Breathing Nazis''.
You know why? 'Cos everyone knows how to fucking breathe, it's essential. Grammar is not, if you get what the other says, well why fuck around.
I mean we're not writing an essay, it's not some ''university project''. It's a goddamn forum.

That said, I'm sorry... and good day.
----
- Headbanging with mostly clogged arteries to that stuff -
Guib's List Of Essential Albums
- Also Thrash Paradise
Thrash Here
23.04.2015 - 11:20
no one
Account deleted
Written by Guib on 23.04.2015 at 04:53

The world will be a better/safer place when all ''Grammar Nazis'' leave the internet.
You all know it... I mean why would you guys even care? It's a battle you can't win.
Grammar will always be used the wrong way on internet, it's a constant/useless battle.
If everyone would write properly, grammar wouldn't be a thing anyways. You don't see any ''Breathing Nazis''.
You know why? 'Cos everyone knows how to fucking breathe, it's essential. Grammar is not, if you get what the other says, well why fuck around.
I mean we're not writing an essay, it's not some ''university project''. It's a goddamn forum.

Exactly....anyway, i suppose we better get back on topic
23.04.2015 - 11:28
no one
Account deleted
Written by Guest on 23.04.2015 at 01:22

Ye man being book smart ain't everything. Being street smart is very important too

Yeah exactly

You should see how many doctors/surgeons/lawyers get the wool pulled over there eyes by my uneducated no university degrees boss .......well it's not funny really, a bit immoral .
23.04.2015 - 11:28
M C Vice
ex-polydactyl
Written by Guib on 23.04.2015 at 04:53

That said, I'm sorry... and good day.

psst... I think you left a comma out. Better fix it before someone sees it.
----
23.04.2015 - 11:30
angel.
Evil Butterfly
Written by M C Vice on 23.04.2015 at 11:28

what is comma?
----
The Fangirl.
23.04.2015 - 11:33
toxx
Supreme being
I think metalheads are just as other people. Some are smart, some are stupid, most are average. After all, we're not some superior race. I think the conception of metalheads being more intelligent than other people is sort of a side-effect from the elitist mindset that some metalheads tend to have. Especially the ones that see themselves as "true, kvlt" and so on. But again, that is just my theory.

From my experience most mealheads are average. Some are incredibly intelligent, and some are just plain dumb. I, on the other hand, prefer the educated, polite and down to earth kind
23.04.2015 - 11:34
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by angel. on 23.04.2015 at 11:30

what is comma?

Imo this sign , ,,,,, or coma where ppl are sleeping he might make spelling error
----

apos;'
[image]
23.04.2015 - 13:20
M C Vice
ex-polydactyl
Written by angel. on 23.04.2015 at 11:30

what is comma?

It's when you get knocked unconscious or fall asleep and don't wake up.
----
23.04.2015 - 13:31
angel.
Evil Butterfly
Written by M C Vice on 23.04.2015 at 13:20

It's when you get knocked unconscious or fall asleep and don't wake up.

Don't jerk, that is coma.
----
The Fangirl.
23.04.2015 - 13:37
IronAngel
Written by Guest on 22.04.2015 at 21:33

Though it's mostly true, i don't think uni students are necessarily always more intelligent. They may be more educated in the things they have been studying, but a lot of people i know who come out of uni with there degree thinking there the masters of everything, have no intelligence in real life skills, or just plain dumb in other areas, i know a lot of these people.

I didn't suggest any correlation between a University degree and intelligence (though I'm sure that statistically, there is one). M C Vise tentatively suggested that metalheads might be smarter because there seem to be many students/graduates on MS. I countered that it doesn't so much say anything about the average metalhead as about the average internet forum-goer.
08.05.2015 - 08:43
Amy
I find it's really mixed. That idea probably is because studies (including the BBC article posted on MS some time ago) have shown that metal fans have many similarities to classical music fans so maybe that's where the perception that we are smarter comes from. I think it is because of the technical side's emphasis on music theory and just the fact that technical styles of music make the listener think rather than just leaving the listener in a trance like most of modern day pop music. I have yet to find research on it but from my own experiences I at least feel( concentration, attention span, etc) different when I listen to metal or classical music than how I feel when I listen to other forms of music. But I think the defining point of a metal fan is that they generally have something that makes them different from other people. They don't see the world like everyone else. I suppose that may make metal fans more critical thinkers. Then again, there is no real way to justify that assertion either.
----
\m/