Metal Storm logo
The Final Fantasy Thread

Original post

Posted by Elijah, 17.05.2006 - 12:34
As I said, this topic gives me peace of mind, regardless of how often I post in it.

On with the festivities.

Looking forward to getting Advent Children. I'm getting the special edition with the collectors tin. omg squee fanboy.
24.07.2010 - 18:35
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Quote:
I am not so sure a remake is a good idea. I absolutely adore pre-rendered (and eagle-eye like Shadows of Amn ) graphics, because they don't say what a location would look like in reality, they suggest and everyone can take the suggestion and work on it in their own mind. Full 3d kind of ruins that, don't you think? I have nothing against an improved soundtrack (though there's a charming simplicity to MIDI) and an improved translation, but I just think a re-make would become a "look at the processing power in our freaking computers!" kind of thing. Most importantly, Sakaguchi is no longer in Square and only he knew how to make VII work.

I do agree about pre-rendered rpg's being awesome, if I had my own way all rpg's would still be made in the style of PS1 greats. Indeed my own preference would be to simply redraw all the locations from game as they are, keeping the original art style and feel, in high definition in glorious detail, and in widescreen of course. Characters and battles would simply be brought up to date and kept the same as they once were, the same applying to the CGI cut scenes. The world map would remain the same concept but it'd be vaster in scope and size i.e. Cloud wouldn't be the same size as a town.

In my head the remake would go on sale with the original game as a separate disc and the remake would also have an option to switch back to the original musical score, as I do agree nostalgia is just as important a factor. Furthermore, any additional extras to the game would be available through a new-game plus facility. I personally wouldn't have voice acting, though an option to turn it off could be made available. The only one thing I would consider changing would be the random battles. No one really likes random battles so the theory would be to maybe implement on screen enemies like on Chrono Cross etc.

Still though, the thought of being able to wander Midgar in fully rotatable 3D does have an appeal and if a remake is ever realised (it would be financially idiotic not to), then that's what will happen, as developers haven't yet learned that a game doesn't have to be cutting edge graphically to be great. To render the whole game in 3D would probably one of the biggest undertakings in gaming history which is why I suspect they haven't done it.

The important thing would be to not fuck around with what's there, don,t go giving Sephiroth a beard or anything like that, or more importantly not to try and user-friendly it up by making it simpler and more appealing to a wider audience which was Square's agenda with 13 (even though the result was a punishingly hard game at times). In fact given Square's track record for the current generation of games they shouldn't be allowed to touch it with a barge pole, they should let another company who knows what they're doing sort it out. Square can't be trusted anymore.
24.07.2010 - 22:46
Fat & Sassy!
elite
Written by Guest on 23.07.2010 at 19:51

Tetsuya Nomura is the George Lucas of RPGs.

Wait. What? He only has designed characters and stuff for the FF games (except FFVII). He is only super-involved with the Kingdom Hearts games. Personally, I really like him a lot. I love his character designs. He seems to be Square's shining beacon. He creates the magic Square has seemed to have lost. In fact, besides the Dragon Quest games (and their stubbornness to change... which has it's charms), The Kingdom Hearts games are the only truly inspiring and great things to have come from Squaresoft/Enix in a long, long time.

As for the difficulty in FFXIII... The problem was it was only hard if you didn't grind at one point in the game (the big valley). If you do then, the game is waaaay to easy and boring after then. But then after you max out your guys after the final fight, the optional bosses are frustratingly hard no matter what. What can I say? The game fucking blew! >:(
24.07.2010 - 22:58
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by Fat & Sassy! on 24.07.2010 at 22:46

As for the difficulty in FFXIII... The problem was it was only hard if you didn't grind at one point in the game (the big valley). If you do then, the game is waaaay to easy and boring after then. But then after you max out your guys after the final fight, the optional bosses are frustratingly hard no matter what. What can I say? The game fucking blew! >:(

It was hard because you were forced to grind around when you reached Pulse or whatever the smeg it was called, the Calm lands type place. If you didn't you'd be majorly fucked in the ass by every future enemy. I don't approve of rpg's that force you grind unnaturally, it should be something you do out of choice. Fortunately Square made the biggest cock up (or it may have been intentional) and gave you an easy, endlessly appearing battle in the form of the behemoth and giant... cat thing, whatever it was, who were fighting each other. Basically spent a couple of hours spamming away at it and you'd have an easy ride for a while though I did feel nearer the end it started getting hard again.

I did maybe half the optional hunts but because there was no real reward or optional super Emerald Weapon type boss (idiots not including one) I couldn't be arsed with it.

I killed a whole bunch of the Adamantoises using what's her names Death spell to loot crap but I realise you could also kill all the hunts instantly using it too so not worth doing really.