Metal Storm logo
The Final Fantasy Thread

Original post

Posted by Elijah, 17.05.2006 - 12:34
As I said, this topic gives me peace of mind, regardless of how often I post in it.

On with the festivities.

Looking forward to getting Advent Children. I'm getting the special edition with the collectors tin. omg squee fanboy.
04.08.2008 - 00:38
Tórnach
Account deleted
I love the games, great story lines and wonderful music scores and character development. They were really the epitome of RPGs until 10. X, X-2, XI, XII -- terrible games. Terrible.

I, II, III, IV, V, VI, VII, VIII, IX were amazing, simply amazing.
06.08.2008 - 17:27
Elio
Red Nightmare
ffVIII is the only one i've played (and not only watched or played once) and i've to say that it's incredible...a faboulous game!!
----
IntoPlighT said: "Slipknot is 15 years old how the fuck is that Nu metal?"

BEST. QUOTE. EVER.
07.08.2008 - 08:29
thesabbathfan
playing IV DS right now
----
18.11.2008 - 08:32
Valentin B
Iconoclast
Watched Advent Children, it's a visually stunning movie, might be pretty much all style and no substance, but that's what's it about: a fantasy.

can anyone explain me these things:

1. what's with the red lion dude and his cubs running around in the beginning of the movie, "498 years later"?

2. what is the link between Sephiroth and Jenova? did Jenova manage to get inside of his brain and control him? what is Jenova?

3. was Rufus Shinra also under Jenova's spell so that he also called her "mother"? if that is so, then why did he try to throw her head away?
18.11.2008 - 22:40
Elijah
Dance, bitch!
1. His name is Nanaki, alias Red XIII. In the game, he is said to be the last of his species, who have incredible longevity. After the credits in the game, the opening scene plays, showing he wasn't the last one and that he found a mate.

2. Jenova is basically a semi-parasitic alien who crashed into the planet a couple of thousand years ago. All members of SOLDIER are injected with her cells, as they increase strength in an individual. Sephiroth was the first experiment with Jenova cells, having been bombarded with them and mako(energy) in the womb to create the "perfect human."

3. Rufus referred to Jenova as Mother to mock the remnants.
----
19.11.2008 - 00:20
Hrothdane
Some silly trivia: rearrange the letters in Nanaki and you get Anakin and in the first star wars movie there are 12 fighters in red squadron, each referred to as Red "insert-number-here."

Theres more interesting name origins and trivia here: http://www.ffcompendium.com/h/nchara.shtml#7
----
Despair is death, and I'm not interested in dying.

Member of the True Crusade against True Crusades
19.11.2008 - 01:14
Introspekrieg
Totemic Lust
Elite
Written by Elio on 06.08.2008 at 17:27

ffVIII is the only one i've played (and not only watched or played once) and i've to say that it's incredible...a faboulous game!!

If you liked that you gotta try II (IV)
I'm playing it right now and I remember now why this game consumed so much of my life... all the optional side quests and summons are so enthralling.

I watched Final Fantasy: Spirits Within again last night and think that it gets too much negativity... it is visually stunning and is classic Japanese storytelling. So some of the dialogue is a little lame, and parts of the story don't seem to make complete sense, it just adds to the out-of-reality entertainment that can be enjoyable when you just want to relax and be occupied by a movie. Plus those phantoms were too cool, what other sci-fi movie has gigantic alien whale ghosts ripping people's souls from them?
20.11.2008 - 21:58
=maD.Doc:.
Melodeath Master
Written by Introspekrieg on 19.11.2008 at 01:14

Written by Elio on 06.08.2008 at 17:27

If you liked that you gotta try II (IV)
I'm playing it right now and I remember now why this game consumed so much of my life... all the optional side quests and summons are so enthralling.

I watched Final Fantasy: Spirits Within again last night and think that it gets too much negativity... it is visually stunning and is classic Japanese storytelling. So some of the dialogue is a little lame, and parts of the story don't seem to make complete sense, it just adds to the out-of-reality entertainment that can be enjoyable when you just want to relax and be occupied by a movie. Plus those phantoms were too cool, what other sci-fi movie has gigantic alien whale ghosts ripping people's souls from them?

Totally agree with you! I can't seem to understand why so many people hate the Spirits Within movie! It's so awesome! Sure, it's not like any Final Fantasy game or so, but that was the whole idea of making the movie. It's a "stand alone" Final Fantasy thing. It still has elements of Final Fantasy, besides the story is told in the "real" world. Now I need to watch it again just because of this! Haven't seen it in ages! Thanks for reminding me of this great movie!
10.12.2008 - 05:43
Uller
Im playing FFVIII its my favorite, dont ask why lol, i love Rinoa one of the hottest girls in final fantasy series
----
10.12.2008 - 10:18
MadGatsu
Written by Uller on 10.12.2008 at 05:43

Im playing FFVIII its my favorite, dont ask why lol, i love Rinoa one of the hottest girls in final fantasy series

^^ Mine too. Of course, i never played any FF AFTER VIII mainly because 9 and 10 didnt come out for PC. I lost interest, those bastards lost probably many old players.

Anyway, awesome game there
----
Games don't make people violent, lag does.
11.12.2008 - 03:22
Melodeath Master
Written by MadGatsu on 10.12.2008 at 10:18

^^ Mine too. Of course, i never played any FF AFTER VIII mainly because 9 and 10 didnt come out for PC. I lost interest, those bastards lost probably many old players.

Don't think they lost that many old players as most players that played Final Fantasy played it on console, from FF I - FF VI on Nintendo consoles, and from FF VII - forward on Playstation. You should really get your self a PS2 and buy the FF games from FFVII and on there insted. Just a recomendation from my side
11.12.2008 - 09:03
MadGatsu
Written by =maD.Doc:. on 11.12.2008 at 03:22

Don't think they lost that many old players as most players that played Final Fantasy played it on console, from FF I - FF VI on Nintendo consoles, and from FF VII - forward on Playstation. You should really get your self a PS2 and buy the FF games from FFVII and on there insted. Just a recomendation from my side

Sure! Pay me one! And the games! And ill try it! Not everyone has parents that give them playstations, or they have enough money to spare on one. Even if i did had the money, i think i maybe wouldn't even buy it. Too much money for one small box that will totally be obsolete in a couple of years.

No-freaking-way.
----
12.12.2008 - 03:15
Melodeath Master
Written by MadGatsu on 11.12.2008 at 09:03

Sure! Pay me one! And the games! And ill try it! Not everyone has parents that give them playstations, or they have enough money to spare on one. Even if i did had the money, i think i maybe wouldn't even buy it. Too much money for one small box that will totally be obsolete in a couple of years.

No-freaking-way.

Don't have any parents buying me a console either, but a PS2 (Playstation TWO) isn't that expensive after PS3 came. Just recomended it, not something you have to do so no need to be upset or anything
12.12.2008 - 12:12
MadGatsu
Written by =maD.Doc:. on 12.12.2008 at 03:15

Written by MadGatsu on 11.12.2008 at 09:03

No-freaking-way.

Don't have any parents buying me a console either, but a PS2 (Playstation TWO) isn't that expensive after PS3 came. Just recomended it, not something you have to do so no need to be upset or anything

Im not upset, just making a point
----
12.12.2008 - 15:31
Melodeath Master
Written by MadGatsu on 12.12.2008 at 12:12

Goodie Just seemed like it ^^ Well, now I'm going to be stuck with Lost Odyssey again for a while, just got a working copy of the fourth disc yesterday! Lost Odyssey is a game from Hironobu Sakaguchi, the maker of Final Fantasy
12.12.2008 - 16:36
MadGatsu
Written by =maD.Doc:. on 12.12.2008 at 15:31

Written by MadGatsu on 12.12.2008 at 12:12

Goodie Just seemed like it ^^ Well, now I'm going to be stuck with Lost Odyssey again for a while, just got a working copy of the fourth disc yesterday! Lost Odyssey is a game from Hironobu Sakaguchi, the maker of Final Fantasy

Double post
----
15.12.2008 - 02:23
Uirapuru
Liver Failure

Its one the ff's that i most dislike.. not because is focused on the romance, or because the jogability is far more complex than necessary.. the reason is the trace of the characters ... they become real!! I prefer 10000 times the anime-based-line of the VII and IX than this one.
And the problem is that looks like all the games will be like that from now on..
But still, everyone told me that the story of X and XII is amazing, i have been reading about XIII and looks like its gonna be huge too.. gotta check out this games as soon as possible.
----

----
member of the true crusade against old school heavy metal, early 80s thrash, NWOBHM, traditional doom, first and second wave black metal, old school death metal, US power metal, 70s prog rock and atmospheric doomsludgestoner. o/
18.12.2008 - 22:39
Fat & Sassy!
Elite
Written by Uirapuru on 15.12.2008 at 02:23

Its one the ff's that i most dislike.. not because is focused on the romance, or because the jogability is far more complex than necessary.. the reason is the trace of the characters ... they become real!! I prefer 10000 times the anime-based-line of the VII and IX than this one.
And the problem is that looks like all the games will be like that from now on..
But still, everyone told me that the story of X and XII is amazing, i have been reading about XIII and looks like its gonna be huge too.. gotta check out this games as soon as possible.

FFVIII is by far the worst RPG I've ever played (given I don't play many). It was my first RPG, and I can say that I hate everything about it. Here is a little rant I've kept on my computer from a previous forum. I was bored... oh, and pardon the bad language:

Final Fantasy VIII is a terrible game. Oh let me count the ways!

1. Most obviously, the battle system. Let me see here...... I used the same three fucking summons for half of the goddamn game in EVERY SINGLE BATTLE... because this was the most practical way to go about the game. Tapping the fucking SQUARE button over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over to power up my summon's attack IS NOT FUN. Then when you get halfway through the game, those summons become completely useless. So what do the designer's do? They throw in a few SUPER CHEAP asshole summons to make the game an easier, bigger, bore for you. Thanks Squaresoft, but fuck you.

2. If the game wasn't easy enough for you the "intuitive" junction system makes sure you will NEVER DIE if you have the IQ of a 6 year old and can figure out that junctioning 100 Lifes on you character can almost MAX OUT your characters' health only a few hours into the game. The same applies to every other stat junction in the game. Now how would one go about getting 300 Lifes for there characters? Run around for awhile hoping you run into a enemy with the life ability and draw the shit out of the enemy (who is probably as much of a threat as a goosed-down pillow... covered with cottenballs). Good times.

3. The final boss- The only challenging fight IN THE WHOLE GAME (following the main storyline, ie. NOT OMEGA WEAPON and other optional bosses) is the final boss. The battle isn't too bad until the dirty little whore summons a...... well, a summon. Then after a couple of turns fighting this asshole it uses some fancy attack............ that wipes out my whole party. I've never tried to finish this game since then. Awesome game design, guys.

4. Oh, and your characters are the closest thing to a bunch of circus faggots that you'll ever get out of a Final Fantasy game.

Squall- Depressed emo faggot who everyone in the game seems to look to as a good leader, when all this butt pirate ever does in the game is cry about stupid pointless shit..... to himself. Then towards the end of the game, he becomes a bitchy brat because his princess girlfriend (who could very well be a man) gets taken away. The perfect hero.

Zell- This asshole really pissed me off. Everything this guy says IS COMPLETELY RETARDED. He is an egotistic fuckface that desperately needed to get kicked in the family jewels. Oh wait. He does. I laughed my ass off when he does. I just wish I could of personally serviced him of a good kicking myself.

Girl with a whip (can't remember her name)- Boring character. Poor voice of reason. Wants to fuck Squall. No idea why though.

Irvine- Two words sum up this freak:......cowboy fag.

Selphie- A ditsy idiot who loves train rides. Actually, this is the only character I didn't hate. Ironic, I know. She's more of a man than Squall is.... if that says anything about Squall.

Rhanoa? (can't spell it.... I named her Oatmeal)- Complete "romantic" retard. I think I liked her pet dog better. She has a strange connection with her dog....... I guess she's into depressed faggots AND dogs. Nice.

Minor characters- Forgettable. (At least I can't remember what a single one is like to comment on.)

5. The most important thing about an RPG is a letdown too: the story. Honestly, I enjoyed the first disc. It nicely sets up for the craptastic adventure on the other 3 discs. This game has one of the most confusing plots of in the history of story-telling. Ok, the "story" is supposed to be based around Squall and Rhnoah's love for each or something. Everything else in the game seems almost pointless and makes the story TOO COMPLEX. The whole time shit is fucking stupid. The bad guy is from the future and goes back in time to posses people to rule the world.... in the future. What. The. Fuck? The "climax" of this story is when Squall has to launch into space to save his love interest. If you've never played this game and this sounds retarded, don't worry. It is. This part of the story also happens to play out the worst love scene of all time. There is NOTHING like going into a first-person view as you watch your character take 3 FUCKING HOURS to float to Rhanoa to save her from dying. "Oh but Ryan, it's so artistic and dramatic....blah, blah, blah..." You know what? Fuck you. It's stupid and holds about as much emotion as a love story told through a movie by Micheal Bay. That's not it though. After you've run to Wal-Mart to get some snacks while this plays out you get to.... get this..... stare at the screen for another 5 hours as Rhanoa babbles on about god-knows-what while a shitty love song pierces your ear drums which cause a pain almost unbearable by a human being.

Good things about the game....... the opening cut scene is pretty cool, I guess....
18.12.2008 - 23:08
Hrothdane
Written by Fat & Sassy! on 18.12.2008 at 22:39

Written by Uirapuru on 15.12.2008 at 02:23

FFVIII is by far the worst RPG I've ever played (given I don't play many). It was my first RPG, and I can say that I hate everything about it. Here is a little rant I've kept on my computer from a previous forum. I was bored... oh, and pardon the bad language:

Final Fantasy VIII is a terrible game. Oh let me count the ways!

1. Most obviously, the battle system. Let me see here...... I used the same three fucking summons for half of the goddamn game in EVERY SINGLE BATTLE... because this was the most practical way to go about the game. Tapping the fucking SQUARE button over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over to power up my summon's attack IS NOT FUN. Then when you get halfway through the game, those summons become completely useless. So what do the designer's do? They throw in a few SUPER CHEAP asshole summons to make the game an easier, bigger, bore for you. Thanks Squaresoft, but fuck you.

2. If the game wasn't easy enough for you the "intuitive" junction system makes sure you will NEVER DIE if you have the IQ of a 6 year old and can figure out that junctioning 100 Lifes on you character can almost MAX OUT your characters' health only a few hours into the game. The same applies to every other stat junction in the game. Now how would one go about getting 300 Lifes for there characters? Run around for awhile hoping you run into a enemy with the life ability and draw the shit out of the enemy (who is probably as much of a threat as a goosed-down pillow... covered with cottenballs). Good times.

3. The final boss- The only challenging fight IN THE WHOLE GAME (following the main storyline, ie. NOT OMEGA WEAPON and other optional bosses) is the final boss. The battle isn't too bad until the dirty little whore summons a...... well, a summon. Then after a couple of turns fighting this asshole it uses some fancy attack............ that wipes out my whole party. I've never tried to finish this game since then. Awesome game design, guys.

4. Oh, and your characters are the closest thing to a bunch of circus faggots that you'll ever get out of a Final Fantasy game.

Squall- Depressed emo faggot who everyone in the game seems to look to as a good leader, when all this butt pirate ever does in the game is cry about stupid pointless shit..... to himself. Then towards the end of the game, he becomes a bitchy brat because his princess girlfriend (who could very well be a man) gets taken away. The perfect hero.

Zell- This asshole really pissed me off. Everything this guy says IS COMPLETELY RETARDED. He is an egotistic fuckface that desperately needed to get kicked in the family jewels. Oh wait. He does. I laughed my ass off when he does. I just wish I could of personally serviced him of a good kicking myself.

Girl with a whip (can't remember her name)- Boring character. Poor voice of reason. Wants to fuck Squall. No idea why though.

Irvine- Two words sum up this freak:......cowboy fag.

Selphie- A ditsy idiot who loves train rides. Actually, this is the only character I didn't hate. Ironic, I know. She's more of a man than Squall is.... if that says anything about Squall.

Rhanoa? (can't spell it.... I named her Oatmeal)- Complete "romantic" retard. I think I liked her pet dog better. She has a strange connection with her dog....... I guess she's into depressed faggots AND dogs. Nice.

Minor characters- Forgettable. (At least I can't remember what a single one is like to comment on.)

5. The most important thing about an RPG is a letdown too: the story. Honestly, I enjoyed the first disc. It nicely sets up for the craptastic adventure on the other 3 discs. This game has one of the most confusing plots of in the history of story-telling. Ok, the "story" is supposed to be based around Squall and Rhnoah's love for each or something. Everything else in the game seems almost pointless and makes the story TOO COMPLEX. The whole time shit is fucking stupid. The bad guy is from the future and goes back in time to posses people to rule the world.... in the future. What. The. Fuck? The "climax" of this story is when Squall has to launch into space to save his love interest. If you've never played this game and this sounds retarded, don't worry. It is. This part of the story also happens to play out the worst love scene of all time. There is NOTHING like going into a first-person view as you watch your character take 3 FUCKING HOURS to float to Rhanoa to save her from dying. "Oh but Ryan, it's so artistic and dramatic....blah, blah, blah..." You know what? Fuck you. It's stupid and holds about as much emotion as a love story told through a movie by Micheal Bay. That's not it though. After you've run to Wal-Mart to get some snacks while this plays out you get to.... get this..... stare at the screen for another 5 hours as Rhanoa babbles on about god-knows-what while a shitty love song pierces your ear drums which cause a pain almost unbearable by a human being.

Good things about the game....... the opening cut scene is pretty cool, I guess....

I agree with all of this. That whole "OMG WE ALL KNEW EACH OTHER AND FORGOT?!?!?" plot twist was ridiculous and pointless and made me cringe, and I was trying to like that game as much as possible. The only things I liked were the cutscenes and the guardian forces (I like shiny, flashy things!).
----

18.12.2008 - 23:19
Fat & Sassy!
Elite
Written by Hrothdane on 18.12.2008 at 23:08

I agree with all of this. That whole "OMG WE ALL KNEW EACH OTHER AND FORGOT?!?!?" plot twist was ridiculous and pointless and made me cringe, and I was trying to like that game as much as possible. The only things I liked were the cutscenes and the guardian forces (I like shiny, flashy things!).

Indeed. The ice chick summon has the coolest animation in VIII. But I must say... FFIX is BAY FAR the gem in the series. Given it's cute art style, you wouldn't expect it to be the deepest, most matured themed FF game...
18.12.2008 - 23:24
MadGatsu
Some people rant about jogability being too complex. others rant because its too complex...i mean....MAKE UP YOUR FUCKING MIND!

Im just sad that some people cant really understand the simple part of a game, and enjoy it as it is. Instead, they think of 100 ways to put it down...just because they either dont get the romance, or the jogability, or graphics, or for whatever retard reason it is.

GUYS, make everyone a big favor and if you dont like the game, then dont play the game!
----
18.12.2008 - 23:26
MadGatsu
Written by Fat & Sassy! on 18.12.2008 at 23:19

Written by Hrothdane on 18.12.2008 at 23:08

Indeed. The ice chick summon has the coolest animation in VIII. But I must say... FFIX is BAY FAR the gem in the series. Given it's cute art style, you wouldn't expect it to be the deepest, most matured themed FF game...

Still dont get how 80 cm men can be cute. Maybe you're into midgets? ;P

Then again, its my opinion on this FF. How do you like it?
----
19.12.2008 - 23:18
Fat & Sassy!
Elite
Written by MadGatsu on 18.12.2008 at 23:24

Im just sad that some people cant really understand the simple part of a game...

Yeah. That it's SIMPLY a bad and annoying game. Like I said, the story is overly complex to the point of pretentious pointlessness. And the junctioning mechanic is a half baked mess. It wouldn't be so annoying if it wasn' t the core part of the gameplay. Oh, and I wanted to play through the game in case the aimless, floaty story actually got good.

As for FF IX, it is simply the finest RPG I've ever spent my free time playing. Mostly because it hosts one of the most interesting stories and batch of characters in the genre... Next to FFX. And for the record... FFXII was a hell of a snoozer.
20.12.2008 - 03:16
Hrothdane
Written by Fat & Sassy! on 19.12.2008 at 23:18

Im just sad that some people cant really understand the simple part of a game...

Yeah. That it's SIMPLY a bad and annoying game. Like I said, the story is overly complex to the point of pretentious pointlessness. And the junctioning mechanic is a half baked mess. It wouldn't be so annoying if it wasn' t the core part of the gameplay. Oh, and I wanted to play through the game in case the aimless, floaty story actually got good.

As for FF IX, it is simply the finest RPG I've ever spent my free time playing. Mostly because it hosts one of the most interesting stories and batch of characters in the genre... Next to FFX. And for the record... FFXII was a hell of a snoozer.

FFX was actually the first one I played, and it remains one of my favorites just b/c I love the story and characters. FFXII didn't have a very good story at all, but I really enjoyed the combat system a lot. I haven't actually gotten around to playing FF IX yet, mostly cause I'm not a big fan of art design of the characters, plus I never owned an original playstation and thus never played it when it first came out.
----

20.12.2008 - 05:47
-DC-002-
Mastercommander
Finale Fantasy XIII is also coming to the Xbox 360. Playstation is losing most of its exclusive games.

Another thing. I'm looking to get one of the many final fantasy games out on the DS and I don't know what the best one is. I was thinking IV but I really can't decide. Any opinions?
----
Coldgrits
20.12.2008 - 09:14
Fat & Sassy!
Elite
Written by -DC-002- on 20.12.2008 at 05:47

Finale Fantasy XIII is also coming to the Xbox 360. Playstation is losing most of its exclusive games.

Another thing. I'm looking to get one of the many final fantasy games out on the DS and I don't know what the best one is. I was thinking IV but I really can't decide. Any opinions?

Is VI on the DS? Get it, sucka! Also, outta IV, V, and VI... four was the least interesting.
20.12.2008 - 09:18
Fat & Sassy!
Elite
Written by Hrothdane on 20.12.2008 at 03:16

FFX was actually the first one I played, and it remains one of my favorites just b/c I love the story and characters. FFXII didn't have a very good story at all, but I really enjoyed the combat system a lot. I haven't actually gotten around to playing FF IX yet, mostly cause I'm not a big fan of art design of the characters, plus I never owned an original playstation and thus never played it when it first came out.

Do yourself a favor and play IX. The characters are the definition of charming. It's a bit more light-hearted than X, but still as raw.

*FUCKING SPOILER AHEAD FOR WHOEVER HAS NOT PLAYED FFX*

My only beef with FFX is the end... why was my main character... not real? LAME.
20.12.2008 - 10:00
-DC-002-
Mastercommander
Written by Fat & Sassy! on 20.12.2008 at 09:18

Written by Hrothdane on 20.12.2008 at 03:16

Do yourself a favor and play IX. The characters are the definition of charming. It's a bit more light-hearted than X, but still as raw.

*FUCKING SPOILER AHEAD FOR WHOEVER HAS NOT PLAYED FFX*

My only beef with FFX is the end... why was my main character... not real? LAME.

FFXI was one of my favorites. only Final fantasy that you could have 4 characters that I know of. I really only know VII, IX, X, and X2 though
----
Coldgrits
20.12.2008 - 20:57
Fat & Sassy!
Elite
Speaking of FFX-2... I feel a little gay for actually playing through that girly game... twice.
21.12.2008 - 00:01
Hrothdane
Written by Fat & Sassy! on 20.12.2008 at 20:57

Speaking of FFX-2... I feel a little gay for actually playing through that girly game... twice.

You and me both...

I enjoyed the combat a lot. Luckily, I'm comfortable enough in my sexuality to not care too much lol
----