Metal Storm logo
The Final Fantasy Thread

Original post

Posted by Elijah, 17.05.2006 - 12:34
As I said, this topic gives me peace of mind, regardless of how often I post in it.

On with the festivities.

Looking forward to getting Advent Children. I'm getting the special edition with the collectors tin. omg squee fanboy.
31.07.2009 - 20:25
Fat & Sassy!
elite
Written by Skøllgrim on 31.07.2009 at 13:25

Do you guys like video game music? I'm a huge fan, and there's a lot of really good stuff out there... anyone of you been over at Dwelling of Duels, or OCRemix? They "remix/tribute" video game music, there's many metal versions as well, and other times its real nice ambient and so on... I'm no fan of techno/dance so I stay away from those

Yeah, I have a lot of FF soundtracks and Castlevania soundtracks. Good stuff. Also, check out this
http://www.myspace.com/vgmetal
01.08.2009 - 00:04
Introspekrieg
Totemic Lust
elite
Written by Skøllgrim on 31.07.2009 at 13:25

Do you guys like video game music?

I like The Black Mages and Powerglove. Actually, I think Nobuo Uematsu will be in Chicago this December for a concert, I wish I was closer...
14.02.2010 - 07:15
Darth Satanious
Post Destroyer
This motherfucking thread needs some motherfucking love! Final Fantasy XIII is just a couple weeks away from being realeased, I had my copy preordered some weeks back. Gamestop is giving a nice little book with some descriptions of the game for those who preorder, be sure to check it out.
----
Christless
14.02.2010 - 18:59
Fat & Sassy!
elite
Written by Darth Satanious on 14.02.2010 at 07:15

This motherfucking thread needs some motherfucking love! Final Fantasy XIII is just a couple weeks away from being realeased, I had my copy preordered some weeks back. Gamestop is giving a nice little book with some descriptions of the game for those who preorder, be sure to check it out.

Alright...

I was very upset to hear that the game will be turn-based after they said when they were developing it that it would be real-time... Kinda in the same vein of FF XII. I think turn-based combat is getting really stale. The 90's (and 00's) are over. XD Also, based off the trailers, the drama looks a little forced and the black guy... looks and sounds really stupid. I was going to pre-order this awhile ago........ but not anymore. It's too bad they are taking a step back with the battle system, because even though FFXII was a very shallow, flat, and lackluster RPG in almost every way... At least the battle system showed what I THOUGHT was promise for a better system. Guess not. :/
14.02.2010 - 20:07
Baz Anderson
staff
I love being engulfed by a game so that I am addicted to it. It happened a lot with Final Fantasy III to VI.

I am going through VI again at the moment, but I'm just not addicted to it yet...
14.02.2010 - 21:08
Fat & Sassy!
elite
Written by Baz Anderson on 14.02.2010 at 20:07

I am going through VI again at the moment, but I'm just not addicted to it yet...

God, FFVI is great. The story, characters (Kefka!), and battle system (for it's time) are fantastic. Definitely the pinnacle of the series. My favorite will probably always be FFIX though.
14.02.2010 - 21:11
Baz Anderson
staff
Written by Fat & Sassy! on 14.02.2010 at 21:08

God, FFVI is great. The story, characters (Kefka!), and battle system (for it's time) are fantastic. Definitely the pinnacle of the series. My favorite will probably always be FFIX though.

Oh yes, VI may be the best of the lot, but I'm just not into it at the moment.
I am only interested in the Final Fantasy's up to VI.
16.02.2010 - 04:18
Darth Satanious
Post Destroyer
Written by Fat & Sassy! on 14.02.2010 at 18:59

Alright...

I was very upset to hear that the game will be turn-based after they said when they were developing it that it would be real-time... Kinda in the same vein of FF XII. I think turn-based combat is getting really stale. The 90's (and 00's) are over. XD Also, based off the trailers, the drama looks a little forced and the black guy... looks and sounds really stupid. I was going to pre-order this awhile ago........ but not anymore. It's too bad they are taking a step back with the battle system, because even though FFXII was a very shallow, flat, and lackluster RPG in almost every way... At least the battle system showed what I THOUGHT was promise for a better system. Guess not. :/

Technically they lied to us with the battle system. I was also expecting something extremely similar to the great battle system of the 12th (a game I may have enjoyed more than you did) but now it looks like an adaptation of the X-2. I am not that much against turn based games in current generation because I feel that we could still do with games that can keep old formulas that got the job done and that we enjoyed, but that may be just me. Still I would love to play more FF with the gambit system.

At least there's FF Versus XIII in the near future which promises to take the series to the Action realm.
----
Christless
17.02.2010 - 03:28
Arian Totalis
The Philosopher
Written by Fat & Sassy! on 14.02.2010 at 21:08

Written by Baz Anderson on 14.02.2010 at 20:07

Yeah VI is my favorite as well. If you can find them you can do some sick relic combos (IE the the Genji Glove and the Offering). But I think that that game could be made into a pretty awsome novel or movie. It is just that epic.
----
"For the Coward there is no Life
For the hero there is No Death"
-Kakita Toshimoko

"The Philosopher, you know so much about nothing at all." _Chuck Schuldiner.
17.02.2010 - 03:32
Fat & Sassy!
elite
Written by Arian Totalis on 17.02.2010 at 03:28

But I think that that game could be made into a pretty awsome novel or movie. It is just that epic.

INDEED. I can only imagine would be the best actor/actresses for all the characters... BUT... seeing as how Kefka is my favorite, my vote goes for (younger & slimmer) Tim Curry as Kefka! ;P

Written by Darth Satanious on 16.02.2010 at 04:18

At least there's FF Versus XIII in the near future which promises to take the series to the Action realm.

I am very interested in seeing how that game turns out. :O
17.02.2010 - 04:15
Darth Satanious
Post Destroyer
Written by Fat & Sassy! on 17.02.2010 at 03:32

But I think that that game could be made into a pretty awsome novel or movie. It is just that epic.

INDEED. I can only imagine would be the best actor/actresses for all the characters... BUT... seeing as how Kefka is my favorite, my vote goes for (younger & slimmer) Tim Curry as Kefka! ;P

I am very interested in seeing how that game turns out. :O

New info on that game is supposed to appear this month in the PSBlog. About fucking time I'd say. The trailer for that game blew me away.
----
Christless
17.02.2010 - 07:53
Arian Totalis
The Philosopher
Written by Fat & Sassy! on 17.02.2010 at 03:32

I agree about Tim Curry, mainly for his roll as Pennywise the Dancing clown..Kefka kind of is a crazy clown so it's sort of perfect. another crazy clown actor I would nominate is Heath ledge. Both of them I think would make good nominees.
----
"For the Coward there is no Life
For the hero there is No Death"
-Kakita Toshimoko

"The Philosopher, you know so much about nothing at all." _Chuck Schuldiner.
17.02.2010 - 16:45
=maD.Doc:.
Melodeath Master
Written by Fat & Sassy! on 14.02.2010 at 18:59

Alright...

From what I heard of the very begining when they started to speak about the battle system of FF13, it was always meant to be a turn-based combat system WITH real-time in it, like a mix of the both. Don't know if you've played the game Eternal Sonata? I get the picture of a similar battle system to that one, not a copy, but similarities. But now the game hasn't been released yet, and I have yet to see the combat system in action. So perhaps you're right, but from what I've understood from interviews and articles about FF13 the case is: Turn-based combat system, with real-time mixed in it.
18.02.2010 - 04:50
Darth Satanious
Post Destroyer
I just got info from a gaming podcast in which the guys at Gametrailers confronted Square Enix with what they promised to be a battle system reminiscent to that of FFXII in FFXIII and they assured that that was planned in the beginning but that once they opted to have the feature of automatically restoring health after battle they decided to make the transition to a battle mode in which it was turned based. They said that they wanted to avoid exploits of having people fleeing from battle just to recover their health and to return immediately afterwards to keep fighting. They also wanted to avoid complicating things by allowing players to move a character(s) within the battle mode (like the Eternal Sonata comparison you just drew, Valkyria Chonicles also comes to my mind when making this comparison) because it would make things too complicated. In each of these excuses, I call bullshit. The game looks great nonetheless.

Seems like there won't be any media blowout of Versus XIII in E3 either, fuck.
----
Christless
19.02.2010 - 23:54
Sick Girl
Final Fantasy = Possibly the best saga game ever created.

That's simple math I can understand.

I have been a fan of this game for a long time. I am sooo excited about the new one that is supposed to be coming out!
20.02.2010 - 09:38
=maD.Doc:.
Melodeath Master
Written by Sick Girl on 19.02.2010 at 23:54

I have been a fan of this game for a long time. I am sooo excited about the new one that is supposed to be coming out!

Supposed to be coming out? It's 2 weeks away
20.02.2010 - 14:42
Inlé
Re-playing VII for the first time in ages. I'm at the beginning of disc 2, and I'm already levelling up that lovely HP Plus materia rather quickly with double growth, haha. Also have my dream team again, of Cloud/Red/Vincent. Need to get HP/MP absorb soon, though. Hmm.
20.02.2010 - 15:48
Darkside Momo
Retired
elite
Written by Inlé on 20.02.2010 at 14:42

Re-playing VII for the first time in ages. I'm at the beginning of disc 2, and I'm already levelling up that lovely HP Plus materia rather quickly with double growth, haha. Also have my dream team again, of Cloud/Red/Vincent. Need to get HP/MP absorb soon, though. Hmm.

I don't like playing Vincent, As I don't like losing control of him when he goes on limit break. I like playing with Red XIII, Cid, and Aerith (obviously, first disc only)
----
My Author's Blog (in French)

"You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you"

"I've lost too many years now
I'm stealing back my soul
I am awake"
20.02.2010 - 20:26
Sick Girl
Written by =maD.Doc:. on 20.02.2010 at 09:38

Written by Sick Girl on 19.02.2010 at 23:54

Supposed to be coming out? It's 2 weeks away

O.O
Realllyyyy???? LOLS. I'm behind xD
Yay!
09.03.2010 - 04:52
Darth Satanious
Post Destroyer
Tomorrow! It is time already, finally!
----
Christless
09.03.2010 - 13:46
Elijah
Dance, bitch!
Been playing for most of the day. So far, impressed with it. The battle system is funky, story's been interesting so far, and the graphics are fairly kick arse. So far, the only beef I have is with most of the main cast. Vanille's voice seems to change accents, Sazh is an insipid Barret v 2.0, and Snow is the typical "I don't care I'm gonna be a hero blah blah" chap, except this time around he's hit puberty. Hope and Lightning are the only two that have so far caught my interest, despite Hope being an angsty teen and Lightning being Cloud with a vagina.
----
09.03.2010 - 15:39
Fat & Sassy!
elite
Written by Elijah on 09.03.2010 at 13:46

Been playing for most of the day. So far, impressed with it. The battle system is funky, story's been interesting so far, and the graphics are fairly kick arse. So far, the only beef I have is with most of the main cast. Vanille's voice seems to change accents, Sazh is an insipid Barret v 2.0, and Snow is the typical "I don't care I'm gonna be a hero blah blah" chap, except this time around he's hit puberty. Hope and Lightning are the only two that have so far caught my interest, despite Hope being an angsty teen and Lightning being Cloud with a vagina.

Sounds like I'm going to hate this cast as much as I predicted. :l At least the little baby chocobo in the black guy's hair has some charm, right? XD
09.03.2010 - 15:41
Dangerboner
Lactation Cnslt
Damn... you can ride ostriches in this game? Can you do ostrich drive-by's?
09.03.2010 - 15:45
Fat & Sassy!
elite
Written by Dangerboner on 09.03.2010 at 15:41

Damn... you can ride ostriches in this game? Can you do ostrich drive-by's?

Nope. You do get to hear a catchy ukulele song when you hop on top of one though. ;P
09.03.2010 - 22:41
hanna of steel
Poison Girl
My daughter got the new game this morning and I haven't seen her since - should I send a rescue squad into her room ?
----
Hell is other people - Jean-Paul Sartre
09.03.2010 - 23:01
Fat & Sassy!
elite
Written by hanna of steel on 09.03.2010 at 22:41

My daughter got the new game this morning and I haven't seen her since - should I send a rescue squad into her room ?

XD They can be very engrossing and time-consuming. Like a 40-hour movie.
10.03.2010 - 01:03
hanna of steel
Poison Girl
Written by Fat & Sassy! on 09.03.2010 at 23:01

Written by hanna of steel on 09.03.2010 at 22:41

XD They can be very engrossing and time-consuming. Like a 40-hour movie.

Yes , I had noted that fact

Maybe it's because I am "old", but I really don't understand why the game has to be played non-stop .

Surely it is better value for money to play just an hour or two each day as this will make it last longer ...
----
Hell is other people - Jean-Paul Sartre
10.03.2010 - 03:29
Fat & Sassy!
elite
Written by hanna of steel on 10.03.2010 at 01:03

Yes , I had noted that fact

Maybe it's because I am "old", but I really don't understand why the game has to be played non-stop .

Surely it is better value for money to play just an hour or two each day as this will make it last longer ...

I think the best way to describe it would be that good videogames just kinda "suck you in into it" like any good film or music album for that matter. Especially games like Final Fantasy, because they USUALLY have top notch stories. You keep wanting to find out what happens next. There's other factors that play into it, but I suppose that would be the biggest reason one wouldn't put the game down after an hour.
10.03.2010 - 05:48
Darth Satanious
Post Destroyer
Written by Elijah on 09.03.2010 at 13:46

I wouldn't have much trouble with Snow personality if he wouldn't be bringing the "hero" word by himself, which is what I dislike from him when he is onscreen. Sazh got into my nerves early in the game and I began the game with a state of mind of not judging his character with what I have seen from the trailers. However, there is the occasional comment from him that gets to hit the spot correctly, though rarely. I still will give him some chance because there seems to be some deep stuff going on with him later on in the game, which is what I have read.

I can also draw comparison between Lightning and Cloud, we were somehow predisposed to since the writer himself acknowledged the influence of Cloud in making Lightning, however, I think that Lightning is more in-your-face, the sort of character that gets things done when they need to and in her way which pretty much go along the lines of what a hero (fuck you Snow) within a story would be. To me Cloud is more reflective of what he does and leans more to being Emo about them. There were other differences I had in my mind between both characters but now they're gone... nevermind.

I like Vanille a lot even though I can recognize her presence there as a filling the slot of the cute-chick character, but I always approve those. Some of her actions indeed seem to be scripted to make such scenes take place, I admit.

I dig the battle system a lot. It seems fast with some challenging fights (I don't recall using a single Potion in previous FFs during the initial portions of the game and never have I needed to use a Phoenix Down to save a player and even less have I died in those early battles...). There are some different things going on during fights with the break state of the enemy (or how it is called in English, don't remember) and with the instant use of Items which seems fresh and kind of makes you feel more responsible of acting immediately in order to replenish health. interacting with monsters before going to fights with the use of items and trying to crawl behind them keeps things a little interesting, even when not at the level of Valkyrie Profile.

The story looks interesting. I have some issues with some dialogues but it is like this with some Japanese works of fiction where the ideas are great but the executions is kind of lacking.

Anyone here has also the PS3 version of the game? I would like to know if you have earned FFXIII wallpapers for your PS3 after unlocking trophies, so far I have not received any at all and I recall reading that this would happen with the PS3 version.
----
Christless
10.03.2010 - 10:09
Elijah
Dance, bitch!
Day two, and I am forced to swallow my words. I have new respect for Sazh, Vanille and Snow.

I have the PS3 version, but I haven't checked the trophies yet. That'd be funky if I get some spiffy new backgrounds for my efforts.
----