Metal Storm logo
The Final Fantasy Thread

Original post

Posted by Elijah, 17.05.2006 - 12:34
As I said, this topic gives me peace of mind, regardless of how often I post in it.

On with the festivities.

Looking forward to getting Advent Children. I'm getting the special edition with the collectors tin. omg squee fanboy.
10.03.2010 - 11:54
Darth Satanious
Post Destroyer
I wonder what you saw there from them Commander, but I don't want to ask and better find out by myself. XD I recall reading that they had this for the Japanese release of the game but it kind of got forgotten. I don't have internet connected to my PS3 all the time so if it downloads them somehow from the PSN once you unlock a trophy I am pretty much screwed for that. This seems like a cool idea though. Trohies don't contain spoilers so you can check them out freely. The storyline ones are hidden with the usual "???" title which more games should adopt in my opinion. Sort of disappointed for not seeing a "Kill Omega Weapon" trophy there though, but pumped for the one that says "Max out all characters".
----
Christless
10.03.2010 - 13:55
hanna of steel
Poison Girl
Written by Fat & Sassy! on 10.03.2010 at 03:29

I think the best way to describe it would be that good videogames just kinda "suck you in into it" like any good film or music album for that matter. Especially games like Final Fantasy, because they USUALLY have top notch stories. You keep wanting to find out what happens next. There's other factors that play into it, but I suppose that would be the biggest reason one wouldn't put the game down after an hour.

Ok - that makes sense - I'm like that with a good book.

But ( I'm a bit off topic here I know , but a games thread seems the best place to ask ) , is it normal for someone to play a game to the exclusion of everything else , except for work and eating ?
I am asking because a friend of mine got a new game on friday and he absolutely refuses to do anything else but play the game all evening , every evening .

Surely that's obsessive behaviour ?

What satisfaction do you get from playing so intensely ?
Once the game is finished that's it - you put it onto your shelf or where ever and don't bother with it again .

The guy is 29 years old btw :p
----
Hell is other people - Jean-Paul Sartre
10.03.2010 - 14:48
Baz Anderson
Staff
Well I've pretty much just finished Final Fantasy VI again, and that was probably my third time through.

I'm just levelling everyone up to crazy levels now, I have the GBA version - so there's the bonus dungeon to try and do next.
10.03.2010 - 15:25
Darkside Momo
Retired
Elite
Written by hanna of steel on 10.03.2010 at 13:55

Written by Fat & Sassy! on 10.03.2010 at 03:29

I think the best way to describe it would be that good videogames just kinda "suck you in into it" like any good film or music album for that matter. Especially games like Final Fantasy, because they USUALLY have top notch stories. You keep wanting to find out what happens next. There's other factors that play into it, but I suppose that would be the biggest reason one wouldn't put the game down after an hour.

But ( I'm a bit off topic here I know , but a games thread seems the best place to ask ) , is it normal for someone to play a game to the exclusion of everything else , except for work and eating ?
I am asking because a friend of mine got a new game on friday and he absolutely refuses to do anything else but play the game all evening , every evening .

Once the game is finished that's it - you put it onto your shelf or where ever and don't bother with it again .

So he's a real geek!
And playing so intensely, as you say, bring you immersion inthe game, its world, story, characters and whatnot.
And once the game is finished you have just lived through something...
I do it likewise, whether for games or books, personnaly.
----
My Author's Blog (in French)

"You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you"

"I've lost too many years now
I'm stealing back my soul
I am awake"
10.03.2010 - 18:19
hanna of steel
Poison Girl
Written by Darkside Momo on 10.03.2010 at 15:25

So he's a real geek!
And playing so intensely, as you say, bring you immersion inthe game, its world, story, characters and whatnot.
And once the game is finished you have just lived through something...
I do it likewise, whether for games or books, personnaly.

Yes , I guess he is .

So , playing like that is just pure escapism like watching a good film or reading a good book ?

I am reassured ( I think ) to know that you do it too

Anyway - I'll leave you all to your game thread now .

Thanks for the info
----
10.03.2010 - 20:36
Fat & Sassy!
Elite
Written by hanna of steel on 10.03.2010 at 13:55

Sounds like this guy is playing an online RPG (Like World of Warcraft or something). Am I right? I'm not really into that stuff, so I can't really relate to doing absolutely NOTHING for days. Also, I would suggest that a lot of people who play online RPG's are very different kind of people than your average game geek. There seem to be a lot of people who play those but no other games, because of the whole social aspect of playing with other people.

Oh, and I dunno about others, but if I play through a game and NEVER touch it again... Then that means the game probably wasn't that good to begin with. :l
10.03.2010 - 21:18
Darkside Momo
Retired
Elite
Written by hanna of steel on 10.03.2010 at 18:19

Yes , I guess he is .

So , playing like that is just pure escapism like watching a good film or reading a good book ?

I am reassured ( I think ) to know that you do it too

Anyway - I'll leave you all to your game thread now .

Thanks for the info

You're welcome!
I do it too... More exactly I did it, and do miss it at times. But I haven't bought any new gaming console for years...

And yes, it is escapism, but while a good film draws you in its universe for only two hours (on average), with a video game, especially RPG ones (like the Final Fantasy), you're in the game's world for, say, 40 hours... Also, contrary to a film or a book, you really interact with the world. In a pre-planned way, sure, but still it's a big difference !
----

I am awake"
11.03.2010 - 00:01
hanna of steel
Poison Girl
Written by Fat & Sassy! on 10.03.2010 at 20:36

Sounds like this guy is playing an online RPG (Like World of Warcraft or something). Am I right? I'm not really into that stuff, so I can't really relate to doing absolutely NOTHING for days. Also, I would suggest that a lot of people who play online RPG's are very different kind of people than your average game geek. There seem to be a lot of people who play those but no other games, because of the whole social aspect of playing with other people.

Oh, and I dunno about others, but if I play through a game and NEVER touch it again... Then that means the game probably wasn't that good to begin with. :l

No , it's not an online RPG it's a game called Mass Effect 2.

He's not into online gaming and social stuff at all

But he does a lot of other stuff too - he has a band and is an artist also - it's just that when he gets a new game everything else stops for a while.

I guess I'll just have to be patient and hope that he completes the game quickly
----
11.03.2010 - 00:06
hanna of steel
Poison Girl
Written by Darkside Momo on 10.03.2010 at 21:18

You're welcome!
I do it too... More exactly I did it, and do miss it at times. But I haven't bought any new gaming console for years...

And yes, it is escapism, but while a good film draws you in its universe for only two hours (on average), with a video game, especially RPG ones (like the Final Fantasy), you're in the game's world for, say, 40 hours... Also, contrary to a film or a book, you really interact with the world. In a pre-planned way, sure, but still it's a big difference !

Have you stopped playing altogether , or are you just a more " casual " player now ?

Yes , I think the time factor is the major problem for me .
I'm used to talking with him every day and when he goes missing for long periods of time I am at a loss for things to do

Oh well , at least it's given me a chance to talk to you , so it's not all bad
----
11.03.2010 - 00:08
Fat & Sassy!
Elite
Written by hanna of steel on 11.03.2010 at 00:01

No , it's not an online RPG it's a game called Mass Effect 2.

Ooooohhhh... I understand completely now. I took a whole weekend off for that game. It is long and time demanding. Yeah. Give him a week, then things will be back to normal. XD
11.03.2010 - 00:12
hanna of steel
Poison Girl
Written by Fat & Sassy! on 11.03.2010 at 00:08

Ooooohhhh... I understand completely now. I took a whole weekend off for that game. It is long and time demanding. Yeah. Give him a week, then things will be back to normal. XD

Ah ok - he has until this weekend then - the trouble is he that will then have to devote the whole weekend to keeping his gf happy - so I guess it will be monday before he surfaces

Thanks for taking the time to explain it all to me
----
11.03.2010 - 00:17
Fat & Sassy!
Elite
Written by hanna of steel on 11.03.2010 at 00:12

Ah ok - he has until this weekend then - the trouble is he that will then have to devote the whole weekend to keeping his gf happy - so I guess it will be monday before he surfaces

Thanks for taking the time to explain it all to me

Girlfriends/boyfriends are a hobby's worst enemy.

No problem. Glad I could help.
11.03.2010 - 09:42
=maD.Doc:.
Melodeath Master
Been playing FF13 for 3 days now, and I absolutely love it! The new battle system is really great, bringing new life to an old FF concept, really well done. It's also a lot more challanging now, with the fast paced battles, and to think strategically, and use libra and items a lot to see the enemies weaknesses. It's really well done. And for the characters, so far I'm just a little bit annoyed with Vanille. She looks older than she acts, just as if it's someone who has gone to childhood of some reason. As I play it on the 360, there are 3 discs, and after 5-6 hours of gameplay I'm allready on disc no. 2! Great game, and for once, pretty good voice actors in the english version! That on is rare!
11.03.2010 - 22:35
Fat & Sassy!
Elite
Written by =maD.Doc:. on 11.03.2010 at 09:42

It's really well done. And for the characters, so far I'm just a little bit annoyed with Vanille. She looks older than she acts, just as if it's someone who has gone to childhood of some reason.

It's a requirement to have at least ONE squeaky annoying bimbo in a JRPG. Doncha know? XD
11.03.2010 - 23:39
=maD.Doc:.
Melodeath Master
Written by Fat & Sassy! on 11.03.2010 at 22:35

Written by =maD.Doc:. on 11.03.2010 at 09:42

It's really well done. And for the characters, so far I'm just a little bit annoyed with Vanille. She looks older than she acts, just as if it's someone who has gone to childhood of some reason.

It's a requirement to have at least ONE squeaky annoying bimbo in a JRPG. Doncha know? XD

I know I'm a JRPG fanboy, but getting used to her know, and kinda like her She's cute too ^^
13.03.2010 - 21:16
Darkside Momo
Retired
Elite
Written by hanna of steel on 11.03.2010 at 00:06

Have you stopped playing altogether , or are you just a more " casual " player now ?

Yes , I think the time factor is the major problem for me .

Stop playing? OMG nooooooo!
So yes, casual player now...
----

I am awake"
13.03.2010 - 21:40
Valentin B
Iconoclast
I re-downloaded Advent Children, i haven't played the game but it's quite an interesting movie, something like a peek into this fucked-up world. after watching it i begun to look up stuff and so now i have a pretty clear grasp on the story.

plus i got Spanish subtitles
14.03.2010 - 16:33
hanna of steel
Poison Girl
Written by Darkside Momo on 13.03.2010 at 21:16

Stop playing? OMG nooooooo!
So yes, casual player now...

Haha - I suppose gaming is something you never give up completely.

My friend finished Mass Effect 2 ahead of schedule
----
14.03.2010 - 23:50
Fat & Sassy!
Elite
Written by Valentin B on 13.03.2010 at 21:40

I re-downloaded Advent Children, i haven't played the game but it's quite an interesting movie, something like a peek into this fucked-up world. after watching it i begun to look up stuff and so now i have a pretty clear grasp on the story.

Although I think that movie is fairly entertaining, it's really just a flashy CGI wank-fest. It really almost had no story, and certainly didn't clear-up or fill in any massive plot holes from the somewhat over-rated game. Really disappointing. :l
20.03.2010 - 21:48
tea[m]ster
Au Pays Natal
Contributor
I will argue with any hardcore gamer...like myself...that FF7 is the greatest game of all time!

The game really laid the foundation for next-gen cutscenes, powerful storyline, and RTS battle system.

Hmmm,,,,maybe i will play it...again...
----
rekt
21.03.2010 - 04:08
Fat & Sassy!
Elite
Written by tea[m]ster on 20.03.2010 at 21:48

I will argue with any hardcore gamer...like myself...that FF7 is the greatest game of all time!

The game really laid the foundation for next-gen cutscenes, powerful storyline, and RTS battle system.

Hmmm,,,,maybe i will play it...again...

As for a powerful storyline and 'RTS' battle system, I'd argue that FFVI laid the foundations for these things. FFVII was more important in the fact that it crossed JRPG's into the next generation of console gaming.
17.07.2010 - 04:26
ErnilEnNaur
Account deleted
Quote:
Quote:

As for a powerful storyline and 'RTS' battle system, I'd argue that FFVI laid the foundations for these things. FFVII was more important in the fact that it crossed JRPG's into the next generation of console gaming.

Intriguing plots, deeper characters and active time battle were introduced in Final Fantasy IV. The rapid improvement of storytelling continued until Final Fantasy VII, which is where the series peaked IMO. VIII was a letdown, IX was a wonderful nostalgia trip with the best design the series had ever seen. After that, the series went to hell. And I don't mean catholic hell, I mean gamer hell, which is a place where series you love go to die.
17.07.2010 - 04:37
ErnilEnNaur
Account deleted
Written by Valentin B on 13.03.2010 at 21:40

Advent Children is a disgrace.

Why didn't Rufus destroy the head instead of throwing it down a building next to the man who most wanted to get his hands on it? Why take such a risk? The Rufus Shinra from the game wouldn't have done somthing so stupid

Why did Cloud bring a sick child to Tifa and then leave to mope around? What happened to turn him into a whiny emo after he saved the world in the game? The Cloud of the game wasn't anything like that. Real problems replaced by contrived angst.

Where did the three gay clones come from? How did pushing Jenova's head turn one of them into Sephiroth? Why didn't anyone help Cloud (who had been battling nonstop for half an hour) fight Sephiroth? Why didn't Sephiroth kill Cloud when he had the chance?

Why was one of the greatest villains in history brought back just to kill him again 5 minutes later? Could they have possibly thought of anything lamer?

And the list goes on...

After Hironobu Sakaguchi left, the compilation should NEVER have been made. Nomura and Kitase never understood what made FF I-IX so special and they should have stayed away from VII, as it was the most personal for Sakaguchi and without his input, it wouldn't have been the masterpiece it became. Tetsuya Nomura is the George Lucas of Squaresoft. Busynessman first, game creator second.
23.07.2010 - 16:37
Fat & Sassy!
Elite
I'm pretty sure FFXIII has 100% confirmed the fall of the series. Even after XII, I thought there was still hope. Have you guys finished this piece of shit? Why did it take them so long to make this game. It couldn't have taken long thinking of the characters. Their personalities aren't paper-thin, but they are all a copy of characters created before or just really lame. The voice acting was AWFUL. Everyone sounded so bored. I guess I would too if I was put into a crappy and aimless story too. Seriously, the story... uh... didn't go anywhere. The characters simply walk around for 40 hours talking about nothing. They should have called it Writer's Block: The Game, because it's really obvious that the creativity at Square is gone. >:/
23.07.2010 - 19:51
ErnilEnNaur
Account deleted
Written by Fat & Sassy! on 23.07.2010 at 16:37

Have you guys finished this piece of shit? Why did it take them so long to make this game. It couldn't have taken long thinking of the characters. Their personalities aren't paper-thin, but they are all a copy of characters created before or just really lame. The voice acting was AWFUL. Everyone sounded so bored. I guess I would too if I was put into a crappy and aimless story too. Seriously, the story... uh... didn't go anywhere. The characters simply walk around for 40 hours talking about nothing. They should have called it Writer's Block: The Game, because it's really obvious that the creativity at Square is gone. >:/

You might just as well have described Final Fantasy X as far as I am concerned.

And yeah, the creativity of Squaresoft left with Hironobu Sakaguchi and Nobuo Uematsu. Tetsuya Nomura is the George Lucas of RPGs.
23.07.2010 - 20:53
Fat & Sassy!
Elite
Written by Guest on 23.07.2010 at 19:51

Oh, it's much worse. Personally, although FFX had it's flaws, but it still had some substance and a bit of FF magic. FFXIII is completely devoid of both of these things. In FFX there is a definite (although still a bit ambiguous) antagonist. In FFXIII, an antagonist is non-existent. FFX had a simple, yet decent battle system. FFXIII's battle system is like XII's. You basically watch your party fight... but unlike XII, it's a very, very shallow system. And personally, I sorta cared about a couple of the characters in and plot points in FFX. FFXIII's characters and story are paper thin. Some people would argue different, but then again... those are only fanboys. >:/
23.07.2010 - 22:04
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by Fat & Sassy! on 23.07.2010 at 20:53

Oh, it's much worse. Personally, although FFX had it's flaws, but it still had some substance and a bit of FF magic. FFXIII is completely devoid of both of these things. In FFX there is a definite (although still a bit ambiguous) antagonist. In FFXIII, an antagonist is non-existent. FFX had a simple, yet decent battle system. FFXIII's battle system is like XII's. You basically watch your party fight... but unlike XII, it's a very, very shallow system. And personally, I sorta cared about a couple of the characters in and plot points in FFX. FFXIII's characters and story are paper thin. Some people would argue different, but then again... those are only fanboys. >:/

Unfortunately all true. XIII loses in most respects.

XII IS STILL AWESOEM THOUGH,
23.07.2010 - 22:14
ErnilEnNaur
Account deleted
Written by Fat & Sassy! on 23.07.2010 at 20:53

Quite correct, the battle system in X is one of the best in the series and they still had Nobuo composing the musci, so it's better. I haven't played XIII and I never wiill ("But fool me, you can't get fooled again" - G.W.Bush), but I'll definitely take your word for it when it comes to how awful it is.
24.07.2010 - 13:04
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
FF have never really been exemplary when it comes to the battle system. 7 and 8 were both very good, 9 didn't work all that well with 4 characters but was still decent but 10 for me was too hyper-simplistic; took turn based to its literal extreme - far too old fashioned. I still think 12 showed a step toward the proper evolution in the series, in fact the whole game is the most forward thinking of the lot, even with its attempt to move away from stereotypical JRPG stories (despite Vaan). 13 just threw everything the series had learned out the window. The battle system is satisfying when you win but controller-breakingly frustrating when you get owned, which happens way too much. The only easy battle I came across in the whole game was the last boss.

I actually thought the antagonist from 13 could have been pretty awesome if they'd fleshed him out and used him properly from the outset. I enjoyed his philosophically religious ramblings, a bit of nut job.

Anyway, a thoughtful, intelligent and most importantly, faithful, remake of 7 is still desirable, especially as the game hasn't aged well, the script in particular is incredibly poorly translated (not Star Ocean 2 bad but still) and needs a serious once over, the music is also a little midi-esque too and could benefit from an, again faithful, update.
24.07.2010 - 18:02
ErnilEnNaur
Account deleted
Written by Guest on 24.07.2010 at 13:04

Anyway, a thoughtful, intelligent and most importantly, faithful, remake of 7 is still desirable, especially as the game hasn't aged well, the script in particular is incredibly poorly translated (not Star Ocean 2 bad but still) and needs a serious once over, the music is also a little midi-esque too and could benefit from an, again faithful, update.

I am not so sure a remake is a good idea. I absolutely adore pre-rendered (and eagle-eye like Shadows of Amn ) graphics, because they don't say what a location would look like in reality, they suggest and everyone can take the suggestion and work on it in their own mind. Full 3d kind of ruins that, don't you think? I have nothing against an improved soundtrack (though there's a charming simplicity to MIDI) and an improved translation, but I just think a re-make would become a "look at the processing power in our freaking computers!" kind of thing. Most importantly, Sakaguchi is no longer in Square and only he knew how to make VII work.