Metal Storm logo
British Sitcoms

Original post

Posted by Hamird, 24.07.2009 - 16:33
As I'm getting into this kind of comedies, I open this thread to discuss about your favorite British sitcoms and ones you're watching recently..

I've just got two seasons of "Spaced" and watched two first episodes.. That sounds interesting, especially when it's by Blood & Ice Cream team (Edgar Wright, Simon Pegg and Nick Frost)..
Beside this one, I've finished watching Not The 9 O'clock News, and The Blackadder.. And both have became my favorite series (movies) of all time. I watch them over and over..
01.10.2009 - 04:53
ToMegaTherion
Two british shows that are fantastic (Although I don't know if you would class them as 'sitcoms' are "Black Books" excellent and hilarious show. The other I really like is "Coupling", Jeff is awesome in that show.
01.10.2009 - 07:50
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by ToMegaTherion on 01.10.2009 at 04:53

Two british shows that are fantastic (Although I don't know if you would class them as 'sitcoms' are "Black Books" excellent and hilarious show. The other I really like is "Coupling", Jeff is awesome in that show.

I don't know Black Books but why wouldn't you classify Coupling as a sitcom?
A sitcom is, and I quote, A situation comedy, usually referred to as a sitcom, is a genre of comedy programs which originated in radio. Today, sitcoms are found almost exclusively on television as one of its dominant narrative forms. Sitcoms usually consist of recurring characters in a common environment such as a home or workplace and can include laugh tracks or studio audiences.
As opposed to stand up comedy a situation comedy has a storyline and ongoing characters in, essentially, a comedic drama.

The situation is usually that of a family, workplace, or a group of friends. The term situation comedy or sitcom was adopted to distinguish them from other comedy formats such as sketch comedy, or stand-up comedy. Often these other formats were presented within a variety format mixed with musical performances, as in vaudeville. The emerging mass medium of radio allowed audiences to return to programs over and over, which allowed programs to return to the same characters and situations each episode and expect audiences to be familiar with them. While the humor in sitcoms varies, it is usually character-driven, which may result in running gags during the series.
Often in a situation comedy television series the status quo is maintained from episode to episode; while within an episode there may be a distruption to the usual situation and the character interactions, this will usually be settled by the episode's end and the situation returned to how it was prior to the disruption. There are exceptions to this. Some shows feature story arcs across many episodes where the characters and situations change and evolve.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

01.10.2009 - 09:16
ToMegaTherion
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 01.10.2009 at 07:50

I don't know Black Books but why wouldn't you classify Coupling as a sitcom?

By that definition then that is both coupling and Black Books to a tee.

Black books is an great show, very british humor to it, but very creative and original.
11.10.2009 - 21:41
Tony Harrison
I have no arms..
Any fans of the Inbetweeners?

If you're a fan of Bottom then chances are you'll appreciate the juvenile humour. It's pretty amusing (although sometimes predicatable) just because I can sadly relate to it when I was at school.
----
This is an outrage...
13.10.2009 - 13:27
Baz Anderson
Staff
Yes, I quite liked the Inbetweeners. I ignored it at first because I thought it would be another one of these popular, totally not funny programmes.
I finally was made to watch a couple and I enjoyed them. I don't know much about it, how many series' it has or anything, but I do like it.
13.10.2009 - 16:28
Hamird
Lieutenant
My Fuck there are lots of British sitcoms.. I've got first series of The Young Ones as Marcel said here.. But still I haven't watched it. I currently finished the second series of Bottom.. It was much funnier than first series. The Culture and Holy episode are just marvelous.
I still haven't finished Spaced. Second series of Thin Blue Line, and still I haven't got Office and Black Books..
16.10.2009 - 16:27
kesh
Account deleted
17.10.2009 - 15:23
Tony Harrison
I have no arms..
The League of Gentlemen are great, ages ago I visited the village where they filmed it, and even stayed in the same B&B they used for the interior shots of The Windermere for the swinging scenes.
----
This is an outrage...
21.10.2009 - 19:50
Deus Ex Machina
One of my favorite characters from TLOG is Dean Tavalouris. I know he's not that typical for a show like that. But he's just so weird, nerdy and adorable.

I also liked Ross and Pauline. I like how Reece Shearsmith played Ross. I enjoyed the scene where they were having a pretend job interview and he asked Pauline if she would describe herself as an egregious person. The look on Pauline's face. XD
And when he goes "Friends?" and she says "Pens." Wtf crazy pen lady.
When I think Pauline, I always think "Piss of, Ross" and "Okey dokey, pig in a pokey! Good morning, jobseekers!"

The Dentons were bizarre, the idea of them is terrifying. Papa Lazarou just scarred me forever, but I like their story about how the character came to be.
Also Ollie Plimsolls - amazing. He's got issues to work through.
24.10.2009 - 16:54
Hamird
Lieutenant
I watched the first series of Spaced.. I never thought I like it that much. But it was very good in my opinion and I liked it very much.. I actually didn't like the first two episode, but while I was hopeless to continue from the third episode it turned different and I liked it very much and it turned to my one of favorites...
24.10.2009 - 21:23
kesh
Account deleted
Written by Tony Harrison on 17.10.2009 at 15:23

The League of Gentlemen are great, ages ago I visited the village where they filmed it, and even stayed in the same B&B they used for the interior shots of The Windermere for the swinging scenes.

Today at 21:17

Written by Tony Harrison on 17.10.2009 at 15:23

Where was it shot at?

Think my favourite sketch is 'The Joke Shop' - Shop Keeper: "Hot sweets, give 'em to the best man before he make his speech." Builder: "What's in them?" SK: "Potassium, burns the roof of his mouth off and the tongue, never talk again"
25.10.2009 - 01:28
heresiarch
Forever Dead
Nobody here remembers a brilliant sitcom DAD'S ARMY
absolutely hilarious WWII parody of home guard volunteers --- all age + 60
----
Heaven queen , carry me away from all pain

No reason to live for
One reason to die for

... To live for my death ...
25.10.2009 - 11:36
ylside
Staff
Written by heresiarch on 25.10.2009 at 01:28

It's the next on my list to check actually. 'Allo 'Allo picked my interest into WWII comedy, its actually the only show that is extremely repetitive but seems to work each time, just like Bolt Thrower. lol
26.10.2009 - 12:11
kesh
Account deleted

Freaking love this. "Get it out!!"
26.10.2009 - 21:01
Tony Harrison
I have no arms..
Written by Guest on 24.10.2009 at 21:23

Where was it shot at?

Hadfield in Derbyshire. Really small village so you can walkaround without a map and come across most of the locations, like the Job Centre, butchers, cafe, windermere etc. Unless you're a fan of the show though I wouldn't bother going as there's nothing else really there.
----
This is an outrage...
26.10.2009 - 21:58
Jan
Just love that episode, first time I saw it, I laughed so hard I fell of the chair
27.10.2009 - 10:24
kesh
Account deleted
Written by Tony Harrison on 26.10.2009 at 21:01

Written by Guest on 24.10.2009 at 21:23

Where was it shot at?

Hadfield in Derbyshire. Really small village so you can walkaround without a map and come across most of the locations, like the Job Centre, butchers, cafe, windermere etc. Unless you're a fan of the show though I wouldn't bother going as there's nothing else really there.

Put it this way, i wouldn't be using there taxi services.
27.10.2009 - 13:51
Baz Anderson
Staff
Happy birthday to John Cleese. He is 70 today.
28.10.2009 - 18:40
Angelic Storm
Melodious
These are my faves:

Red Dwarf, The Young Ones, Monty Python, One Foot In The Grave, Porridge, Rising Damp, Father Ted, Blackadder, The Thin Blue Line, Open All Hours, Some Mothers Do 'Ave Em.

I'm pretty sure that's them all, and I haven't forgotten any!

Written by heresiarch on 25.10.2009 at 01:28

Dad's Army is awesome! I love the more innocent comedy in shows like that, you kinda feel like you're cleaning your soul from the filth you endure with most modern comedy!
12.11.2009 - 10:46
Konrad
Mormon Storm
Anyone else here a Fawlty Towers fan? I absolutely adore this show. If you like John Cleese, this is definitely worth your time!!!!! He's a genius!
----
Brujerizmo!
12.11.2009 - 16:08
Angelic Storm
Melodious
Written by Konrad on 12.11.2009 at 10:46

Anyone else here a Fawlty Towers fan? I absolutely adore this show. If you like John Cleese, this is definitely worth your time!!!!! He's a genius!

Hand up here! I absolutely love Fawlty Towers, and John Cleese is a genius! Manuel is hilarious too though. "Que?!" It is a shame only 12 episodes were made, as I think it had a lot left to offer. I guess at least this way, it had no chance of losing some of it's quality if it had gone on longer, as what happened to some other shows...
12.11.2009 - 17:46
Konrad
Mormon Storm
Written by Angelic Storm on 12.11.2009 at 16:08

Written by Konrad on 12.11.2009 at 10:46

Hand up here! I absolutely love Fawlty Towers, and John Cleese is a genius! Manuel is hilarious too though. "Que?!" It is a shame only 12 episodes were made, as I think it had a lot left to offer. I guess at least this way, it had no chance of losing some of it's quality if it had gone on longer, as what happened to some other shows...

Not ON THOSE TRAYS, UNO, DOS, TRES!
----
Brujerizmo!
11.12.2009 - 12:28
Green Wing anyone? The british answer to scrubs, and like 5 times as good...

Love Black Books. The IT Crowd is also quite good. Little Britain. Man Stroke Woman. Blackadder. The Office (not so much Extras though... although Daniel Radcliff and Patrick Stewart's episodes were great). Fawlty Towers.
----
VICTORY!!!!! (They love it in France)
01.02.2010 - 23:26
Angelic Storm
Melodious
Can't believe I forgot 'Mr. Bean'. Rowan Atkinson is a genius! <3

I have to say, I don't think it translated very well to the big screen though. I much preffered the shorts that were made for tv.
02.02.2010 - 18:33
Hamird
Lieutenant
Written by Angelic Storm on 01.02.2010 at 23:26

Can't believe I forgot 'Mr. Bean'. Rowan Atkinson is a genius! <3

I have to say, I don't think it translated very well to the big screen though. I much preffered the shorts that were made for tv.

I thought Mr. Bean isn't a sitcom.. But anyway, yes, Rowan Atkinson is one of the most genius comedians in England. Let's say not the best, because I think Rick Mayall is a bit funnier..
02.02.2010 - 20:08
Inlé
Mr. Bean is an oddity really. If anything it's like an up-to-date homage to almost 1920's-30's style (slow) physical comedy, with slapstick attached and all... occasionally. It's competant, good to watch just one episode of it from time to time. Rowan Atkinson can definitely do the physical part of it well, almost as well as the godly Stan Laurel, almost.

My clear favourite is the hotel room one. Whether that's because it works better in the one location rather than being "a day in the life" split over three acts, or whether the episode is just stronger is something I'm still not sure about.

Only Fools and Horses, Fawlty Towers, Monty Python, alternative comedy scene (Young Ones, Bottom, Filthy Rich and Catflap, New Statesman), Red Dwarf, Blackadder, &tc are my home ground, really. Character centric, traditional and with relatively low budgets. I'm pretty good with British comedy in general, though.

As for Ricky Gervais, his American stuff is awful, as was that film (has he made two now...? I don't know). The Office and Extras were both good though, IMO, Extras in particular was very good. I think it's fair to assume that Stephen Merchant is the real mastermind behind both of these shows, and a lot of the statements about the world of work (The Office) and the acting profession, media glitz, the cost of celebrity, and personal integrity (Extras) &tc are very astute, both shows have to be taken more as a comedy/drama, really.

It's kind of ironic he's tried to branch out to the US. The minimalist approach of shows like The Office and Extras are both the absolute antithesis of American comedy.

British comedy is also good in that it's one of those are interests where popularity usually does equal quality. You rarely have to dig for quality and most of the true gold lies in the staples (Only Fools, Fawlty Towers... etc)
03.02.2010 - 00:07
Angelic Storm
Melodious
Written by Inlé on 02.02.2010 at 20:08

Mr. Bean is an oddity really. If anything it's like an up-to-date homage to almost 1920's-30's style (slow) physical comedy, with slapstick attached and all... occasionally. It's competant, good to watch just one episode of it from time to time. Rowan Atkinson can definitely do the physical part of it well, almost as well as the godly Stan Laurel, almost.

My clear favourite is the hotel room one. Whether that's because it works better in the one location rather than being "a day in the life" split over three acts, or whether the episode is just stronger is something I'm still not sure about.

It is a very old-school type of comedy, and one which is pretty much non-existent in the modern age. The way Rowan Atkinson was able to pay homage to that traditional style, do it justice, and also make it seem up to date is just a testament to his immense talent.

My fave one is probably 'The Trouble With Mr. Bean'. All the acts in that one seem to flow very well with each other, unlike some other episodes which feel like seperate sketches put together, rather than one whole one. In saying that, he is a genius in pretty much every episode, and your comparison of Rowan to Stan Laurel is at once a massive compliment, but also fully justified. For just Mr. Bean and Blackadder alone, he should be rightly regarded as one of the greatest comic actors of all time. <3