02. Are You Dead Yet?
03. If You Want Peace... Prepare For War
04. Punch Me I Bleed
05. In Your Face
06. Next In Line
07. Bastards Of Bodom
08. Trashed, Lost & Strungout
09. We're Not Gonna Fall

I'm going to show my incredible foretelling powers here and tell you right from the get-go that there's going to be like a thousand comments from kids aiming right at my neck trying to understand why the hell I gave such a low rating to the best album of the year from the best band of the world: Children Of Bodom? Yeah, sure.

I used to like this band (if you don't believe me, read my "Something Wild" review), but after their third album all went downhill for me and these Finns. I bet someone in the band realized that they were popular now and they decided to turn their sound towards the masses (i.e. kids attending Ozzfest and such).

I can't do anything else rather than ask myself, what happened with this band? Where did the madness, the amazing riffs and the awesome keyboards went? What happened with the neoclassical leads and the fierce shrieks? The only thing I found was bland vocals, lame choruses and unexciting song-writing. Truly disappointing, sure I wish I was dead after hearing this boring album.

Everything in Children Of Bodom is getting old by now, the brainless lyrics and laughable song titles were funny at first, but now they've become unbearable. The Ripper mascot is another thing that I'm tired of, and again, it was funny at first with the different colors for each album, but now the ripper is totally uninteresting and tedious!

In a nutshell, this album does nothing for me, and if it does for you, you're a trend-victim, Children Of Bodom is an over-hyped, overrated act by all means! If you like Finnish extreme metal go grab the new Norther or new Kalmah instead. Phew, that was almost therapeutic, now kids, fire away, shoot me with all you can, I can take it. And just to add some fuel to the fire, Children Of Bodom sucks!

Written by Undercraft | 11.03.2006

Comments page 3 / 3

Comments: 89   Visited by: 383 users
05.10.2009 - 03:44
slayerstone94

I personaly like this album alot. this gets me hipe and redy for any thing
----
i like what i like
24.10.2009 - 08:05
I, Monarch

THis is good review this album is nothing special the only good bodom cds were the old ones if want good melodeath go to norther or kalmah heck even dark tranquility or in flames would suffice.
04.11.2009 - 02:56
zerobeat123

I thought this album was brilliant because it was the first I heard from them, then I listened to "Something Wild" and that turned this piece of garbage into shit. Children of Bodom, you can do better then this, stop sucking.
12.11.2009 - 21:22
Boxcar Willy
yr a kook
Decent enough.
----
14:22 - Marcel Hubregtse
I do your mum

DESTROY DRUM TRIGGERS
14.01.2010 - 13:32
N.V.E

I agree that something wild is one of the best metal albums of all time and the "Are u dead yet" album is nothing near it but it's still an album I love! I think it's very good! it deserves more than 5...
25.01.2010 - 15:50
Rating: 7
macraigma

Lol this was the first album by the band that i heard, i didnt ready any reviews before listening and i enjoyed the album. Now im WAAAY curious to hear the rest of this bands discog. Seems ill be listening to CoB for quite some time now to really get to know them!
----
"Now for the weak an abortion
Celebrate perfection that grows
The flesh, a gift of science
The soul a fault of a god"
19.05.2010 - 18:55
Rating: 8
Cyroth

The review feels to subjective.Isn't the idea of a review to be objective?
I mean "And just to add some fuel to the fire, Children Of Bodom sucks!" this is just unprofessional.
Still things are pointed out well,mainly to the album.
Now to be subjective myself,I enjoy the album,not as much as the previews albums,but still.
----
23.07.2010 - 17:41
Rating: 6
Panterica

I don't see the big problem with Are You Dead Yet?, I find it enjoyable. I don't think you can call us "kids" while your saying that everyone who likes this album is a trend-victim, that way of thinking is suitable for a 12 years old. Some people like this album and you have no right to tell us we're childish for liking it.

P.S - The intro of punch Me I Bleed could fit perfectly to Mastodon's Crack The Skye album.
----
Li'ed - Prog-Metal from Jerusalem
https://open.spotify.com/artist/7aZWDrAAvDSLMaSmDSE8zA
https://www.facebook.com/LiedBandMusic
http://lied-band.bandcamp.com/
27.07.2010 - 14:09
Angelic Storm
Melodious
Written by Cyroth on 19.05.2010 at 18:55

The review feels to subjective.Isn't the idea of a review to be objective?
I mean "And just to add some fuel to the fire, Children Of Bodom sucks!" this is just unprofessional.
Still things are pointed out well,mainly to the album.
Now to be subjective myself,I enjoy the album,not as much as the previews albums,but still.

Yep, a professional review should be objective. As soon as a review contains lines like the one you just highlighted, I cant take it seriously, or give it any credibility whatsoever. Regardless of whether I agree with the overall rating or not. My opinion of the album is it is weak compared to stuff like "Follow The Reaper" and "Hate Crew Deathroll". The first 4 songs are actually good. Especially the title track which is awesome, and "If You Want Peace... Prepare For War" which is enough to induce whiplash. lol But the album just isnt consistent enough, and is too messy to be considered among their best IMO.
27.07.2010 - 15:33
vezzy
Stallmanite
Written by Angelic Storm on 27.07.2010 at 14:09
"If You Want Peace... Prepare For War" which is enough to induce whiplash.

I find it funny how it oh so desperately tries to induce it. It comes off laughable.
----
Licensed under the GPLv3.
Relinquish proprietary software for a greater GNU/America.
27.07.2010 - 23:50
Angelic Storm
Melodious
Written by vezzy on 27.07.2010 at 15:33
I find it funny how it oh so desperately tries to induce it. It comes off laughable.

As soon as I seen that you had replied to me in this thread, I knew your post would be something like that. lol
27.07.2010 - 23:56
vezzy
Stallmanite
Written by Angelic Storm on 27.07.2010 at 23:50

Written by vezzy on 27.07.2010 at 15:33

As soon as I seen that you had replied to me in this thread, I knew your post would be something like that. lol

You mean to tell me I'm becoming predictable?!
odammit
----
Licensed under the GPLv3.
Relinquish proprietary software for a greater GNU/America.
27.07.2010 - 23:59
Angelic Storm
Melodious
Written by vezzy on 27.07.2010 at 23:56
You mean to tell me I'm becoming predictable?!
odammit

Yep, Im afraid so.
10.06.2011 - 01:20
Gigantidild

You know, I'm not gonna bother. You claim that If I like this album then I'm just a trend follower. I listen to music that none of you kids have even heard of. Are any of you musicians/composers? Have any of you written a song that was worth two pieces of scheisse on a doorstep? I doubt it. That fact alone takes away all credibility. F*cking posers.
10.06.2011 - 16:33
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by Gigantidild on 10.06.2011 at 01:20

Are any of you musicians/composers? Have any of you written a song that was worth two pieces of scheisse on a doorstep? I doubt it.

Please direct me to your compositions of worth.
10.06.2011 - 17:11
Vikcen
Metálico

You know, I'm not gonna bother. You claim that If I like this album then I'm just a trend follower. I listen to music that none of you kids have even heard of. Are any of you musicians/composers? Have any of you written a song that was worth two pieces of scheisse on a doorstep? I doubt it. That fact alone takes away all credibility. F*cking posers.

For your words, i would say you the following: you forget the tastes of people on this of the music. For example i can listen something that it is all the virtuosity and progressive that you want, that for me it will be boring, or could be boooooooring.
23.06.2011 - 14:26
Rating: 9
Da?bog

I disagree its one of the best bodom albums. It deserves at least 9. . .
----
BELIEVE NOTHING, no matter where you read it or who has said it, unless it agrees whit your own reason and your own common sense...
23.06.2011 - 14:27
Da?bog

I disagree its one of the best bodom albums. It deserves at least 9. . .
----
BELIEVE NOTHING, no matter where you read it or who has said it, unless it agrees whit your own reason and your own common sense...
23.06.2011 - 15:53
Warman
Erotic Stains
Surely not a 9, but I still think this album can stand on it's own these days. For me it's the album which tipped the arrow downwards for CoB, I do though still enjoy the album. Too bad they would only keep on going downhill after this.
----
05.01.2012 - 04:27
qlacs
"The Quaker"
Don't give a shit about the fans, totally agree on the review. I've heard the album quite some times after I got a copy from a pal but never found anything particularly interesting in it.

Living Deat Beat, In Your Face (ouch) and Thrashed.. are good songs, but that's it.
----
05.01.2012 - 04:46
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
I think there was a time when I liked one of these songs... but it's been a long time since I felt anything positive about CoB.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
05.01.2012 - 14:21
Milena
gloom cookie
Written by Troy Killjoy on 05.01.2012 at 04:46

I think there was a time when I liked one of these songs... but it's been a long time since I felt anything positive about CoB.

I personally adored Trashed, Lost & Strungout. It was one of "our songs" for my best female buddy and me. I think this was the only metal band with harsher vocals she ever liked, which tells you a lot about their mainstream...ness.
----
7.0 means the album is good
05.01.2012 - 19:59
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Written by Milena on 05.01.2012 at 14:21
I think this was the only metal band with harsher vocals she ever liked, which tells you a lot about their mainstream...ness.

CoB, LoG, and Amon Amarth were the first few bands to help me break into growled vocals.

But CoB are just... too cheesy for me to like these days. I dunno if cheesy is the right word. Maybe "sucky"...
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
05.01.2012 - 20:07
Milena
gloom cookie
Written by Troy Killjoy on 05.01.2012 at 19:59

But CoB are just... too cheesy for me to like these days. I dunno if cheesy is the right word. Maybe "sucky"...

Cheesy is the right word for me still. I do still enjoy them, but I constantly think about how I should spend my time on something else.
----
7.0 means the album is good
09.08.2012 - 21:04
stormchaserD

I liked there older albums better but this album has some good songs but also some bad ones.
05.10.2012 - 18:31
monti_84

I can´t understand why many bands fall into such low quality songwriting after creating impressive music. It feels almost impossible the same group that wrote a masterpiece such as "Children of Decadence" also wrote this very, very bad album and all the following bad music. But hell, it happened to Metallica, Megadeth, Opeth and many more. I suppose there is a set number of good albums a band has within it.
----
The universe does not need a creator
27.11.2012 - 16:21
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by Lustful Maid on 27.11.2012 at 16:15

I don't call this a bad album as there is no bad song. I don't call this a good album as thre is no very good song. Therefore, we called this a SAFE ALBUM.

A "safe album" is an album that makes no kind of progression of any kind and repeats past successful endeavours to ensure it maintains its fanbase. This was a distinct change in style and lots of people disliked it therefore this is not a "safe" album.
27.11.2012 - 17:18
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by Lustful Maid on 27.11.2012 at 17:05

Probably you are talking about the marketing direction, I am refering to the artistic direction.
Even though not the old COD (more industrial and melodic). All songs sounded familiar, a lot of typical "risk-free" melodies and riffs derived from "somewhere else".

What you call "safe" I call "uninspired."
31.05.2013 - 05:01
AngelofDeth
Cyborg Raptor

lol best comment ive seen in a while
----
pewpew.. gotcha

Hits total: 14882 | This month: 26