Metal Storm logo
Rosetta

24.07.2009 - 22:59
tea[m]ster
Au Pays Natal
contributor
Being a Godflesh fan from the getgo I've been looking for similar bands today - Isis and Cult of Luna have intrigued me - however, I know nothing about this band except for the info posted here on MetalStorm. Tell me more.
----
rekt
25.07.2009 - 01:25
Slyfang
Rosetta's Monument is one of the best and most powerful songs i've heard in my entire life.. that's all i can vouch for
26.07.2009 - 07:01
munson
There's a lot of dispute about Isis' stuff. Some people like their old, some people like their new. Personally I think you can't go wrong with any of it.
26.07.2009 - 18:17
tea[m]ster
Au Pays Natal
contributor
I got all of Rosetta's releasaes...on to the journey
----
rekt
25.09.2009 - 02:08
tea[m]ster
Au Pays Natal
contributor
My favorite band ATM,,,can't stop listening to their stuff!
----
rekt
30.09.2009 - 11:57
tea[m]ster
Au Pays Natal
contributor
New material released Jan/2010....STOKED!
----
rekt
17.11.2009 - 10:52
pdepmcp
Wake/Lift is one of the best releases of the last years.
I don't agree with tagging them "avantgarde" anyway, as they are one of the many (and probably the best) Isis-like band all around. They just add some noise/ambience songs in their releases, but they sound like 2 bands in a record more than an evolution of the sound.
25.11.2009 - 12:04
tea[m]ster
Au Pays Natal
contributor
Written by pdepmcp on 17.11.2009 at 10:52

I don't agree with tagging them "avantgarde" anyway, as they are one of the many (and probably the best) Isis-like band all around. They just add some noise/ambience songs in their releases, but they sound like 2 bands in a record more than an evolution of the sound.

OMG, finally a Rosetta fan speaks! I can't believe their aren't more fans of this band!
----
rekt
25.11.2009 - 12:13
pdepmcp
Written by tea[m]ster on 25.11.2009 at 12:04

OMG, finally a Rosetta fan speaks! I can't believe their aren't more fans of this band!

eheh, yeah, it seems we are few here.
I think they share the same problem with Isis, Cult Of Luna, Mouth Of The Architect, Callisto and many more: they stand on the boundaries of many styles that don't share the same audience.
Rosetta are somewhere between metal, hardcore (post-hardcore), post-rock, experimental music, alternative rock and noise (being noise the only one that Isis misses).
I think they are not that popular on any of these styles audience, as many metal fans point out their bad post-hardcore attitude, while post-hardcore people get bored by the post-rock parts and so on.
But summing up open-minded people by all these audience they get a good and very heterogeneous fan base.
26.11.2009 - 03:33
tea[m]ster
Au Pays Natal
contributor
Written by pdepmcp on 25.11.2009 at 12:13

Written by tea[m]ster on 25.11.2009 at 12:04

eheh, yeah, it seems we are few here.
I think they share the same problem with Isis, Cult Of Luna, Mouth Of The Architect, Callisto and many more: they stand on the boundaries of many styles that don't share the same audience.
Rosetta are somewhere between metal, hardcore (post-hardcore), post-rock, experimental music, alternative rock and noise (being noise the only one that Isis misses).
I think they are not that popular on any of these styles audience, as many metal fans point out their bad post-hardcore attitude, while post-hardcore people get bored by the post-rock parts and so on.
But summing up open-minded people by all these audience they get a good and very heterogeneous fan base.

Great synopsis bro. My take: I think post metal bands (yes, I think Rosetta is post metal) get a bad rap because the genre has become soooo watered down - it's like anything...if it's popular and it's promising then the formula get's copied - but I think Rosetta stands above the rest of the genre because of the sheer explosiveness in their music with mystical/ambient noise combined (just LISTEN to Lift part two).

Here's hoping they get back in the studio for another LP!
----
rekt
03.12.2009 - 18:00
pdepmcp
Written by tea[m]ster on 26.11.2009 at 03:33

I think post metal bands (yes, I think Rosetta is post metal) get a bad rap because the genre has become soooo watered down - it's like anything...if it's popular and it's promising then the formula get's copied - but I think Rosetta stands above the rest of the genre because of the sheer explosiveness in their music with mystical/ambient noise combined (just LISTEN to Lift part two).

Looks like you are into the post-metal scene. Post metal is not that popular here, in Italy for sure and around Europe it's not so popular as in the USA, with some exceptions.
Could you suggest me some more worthy bands (excluding the already nominated)?
04.12.2009 - 12:06
tea[m]ster
Au Pays Natal
contributor
Written by pdepmcp on 03.12.2009 at 18:00

Written by tea[m]ster on 26.11.2009 at 03:33

I think post metal bands (yes, I think Rosetta is post metal) get a bad rap because the genre has become soooo watered down - it's like anything...if it's popular and it's promising then the formula get's copied - but I think Rosetta stands above the rest of the genre because of the sheer explosiveness in their music with mystical/ambient noise combined (just LISTEN to Lift part two).

Looks like you are into the post-metal scene. Post metal is not that popular here, in Italy for sure and around Europe it's not so popular as in the USA, with some exceptions.
Could you suggest me some more worthy bands (excluding the already nominated)?

Alright man, I just started to get into this genre - Rosetta was the first band, kind of a high bar to set - so I've been looking for bands that give me the same (or better) experience. I don't know myspace pages etc. but I can tell some bands u should google (If u don't know of them already). Btw, the band Ufomammut is from Italy and they are very close to being post metal!

Latitudes, Russian Circles, Ganon, Year of No Light, Pelican, The Sparowes, Jesu, Three Steps to the Ocean, Battle of Mice

Unfortunately, none of these bands can hold Rosetta's jock but are good nonetheless.
----
rekt
04.12.2009 - 16:54
spirit_inblack
harshhead
Perhaps you mean Red Sparowes there man.
Anyways, if you like them, the above bands are great, and I can add more "post-stuff" to the list: Callisto, Explosions in the Sky, God is an Astronaut, Izah (free download of their songs at their site), the Cult of Luna album "Somewhere Along The Highway" (only one of them I like), and if you like the way that Rosetta have climaxes and build tension in their songs, you will surely enjoy Godspeed You! Black Emperor to some degree if you don't already.
10.12.2009 - 12:58
pdepmcp
Written by tea[m]ster on 04.12.2009 at 12:06

Alright man, I just started to get into this genre - Rosetta was the first band, kind of a high bar to set - so I've been looking for bands that give me the same (or better) experience. I don't know myspace pages etc. but I can tell some bands u should google (If u don't know of them already). Btw, the band Ufomammut is from Italy and they are very close to being post metal!

Latitudes, Russian Circles, Ganon, Year of No Light, Pelican, The Sparowes, Jesu, Three Steps to the Ocean, Battle of Mice

Unfortunately, none of these bands can hold Rosetta's jock but are good nonetheless.

OK, thanks for your suggestions. I'll check the ones I don't already know. I hope to find new inspiration in your list.

Yes, Ufomammut are Italian, but I first heard of them here on MS. It's a common problem here: many Italian bands have no visibility in their home country, with the exclusion of their own city/region. Too bad. I often have to buy underground italian stuff in other countries....

Written by spirit_inblack on 04.12.2009 at 16:54

Anyways, if you like them, the above bands are great, and I can add more "post-stuff" to the list: Callisto, Explosions in the Sky, God is an Astronaut, Izah (free download of their songs at their site), the Cult of Luna album "Somewhere Along The Highway" (only one of them I like), and if you like the way that Rosetta have climaxes and build tension in their songs, you will surely enjoy Godspeed You! Black Emperor to some degree if you don't already.

I guess so too, as I can't find any other Sparowes band. They sound more on the stoner side, to me, anyway.
Thank you for your list. Some are already named in previous post, but there is some new name too, so I'll have to check them and maybe dig some of them.
17.12.2009 - 17:34
tea[m]ster
Au Pays Natal
contributor
Written by spirit_inblack on 04.12.2009 at 16:54

the more suggestions the merryer mayne! thanks for the update!
----
rekt
22.12.2009 - 10:26
K✞ulu
Seeker of Truth
I kind of liked Wake/Lift (I tried it out because of the comments above), but I didn't know the music they play is labeled as Avantgarde. I thought this kind of music is what people refer to as Post-Metal. For me Avantgarde is something like Arcturus. So...
----
Savor what you feel and what you see
Things that may not seem important now
But may be tomorrow

R.I.P. Chuck Schuldiner

Satan was a Backstreet Boy
23.12.2009 - 10:14
spirit_inblack
harshhead
It's not avantgarde, you're right, it's "post-metal." I don't know who would label them as that, because is sounds pretty much like Isis but with even more soundscapes. What they label themselves captures it best: metal for astronauts. The Galillean Satellites is one of the best double albums ever written.
24.12.2009 - 10:48
tea[m]ster
Au Pays Natal
contributor
Yes, they are post metal...but when I made the topic heading their wasn't a label available called "post metal" ... so I pickd the next "similar" title...maybe I can email the forum moderators and have them change it!
----
rekt
24.12.2009 - 11:38
K✞ulu
Seeker of Truth
Written by tea[m]ster on 24.12.2009 at 10:48

Yes, they are post metal...but when I made the topic heading their wasn't a label available called "post metal" ... so I pickd the next "similar" title...maybe I can email the forum moderators and have them change it!

you can change the label by using the Topic Settings button on the top of the thread. Just type your own subcategory manually.
----
But may be tomorrow

R.I.P. Chuck Schuldiner

26.12.2009 - 12:00
tea[m]ster
Au Pays Natal
contributor
Written by K✞ulu on 24.12.2009 at 11:38

Written by tea[m]ster on 24.12.2009 at 10:48

you can change the label by using the Topic Settings button on the top of the thread. Just type your own subcategory manually.

I am an idiot - thanks...I fixed it!

BTW, Rosetta is doing a small east coast tour right now - let's hope they get to the midwest!
----
rekt
02.05.2010 - 22:15
tea[m]ster
Au Pays Natal
contributor
New album this month people! I am stoked!
----
rekt
02.05.2010 - 22:48
K✞ulu
Seeker of Truth
Written by tea[m]ster on 02.05.2010 at 22:15

Me too! The Galilean Satellites and Lift/Wake are two great albums (need to listen more to them though)... want more and I am really curious.
----
But may be tomorrow

R.I.P. Chuck Schuldiner

02.05.2010 - 23:37
tea[m]ster
Au Pays Natal
contributor
Written by K✞ulu on 02.05.2010 at 22:48

Written by tea[m]ster on 02.05.2010 at 22:15

Me too! The Galilean Satellites and Lift/Wake are two great albums (need to listen more to them though)... want more and I am really curious.

Sup K'tulu! I am actually listening to Wake/Lift RIGHT NOW Lift Part III might be the best finale to any song ever!
----
rekt
29.09.2010 - 02:40
tea[m]ster
Au Pays Natal
contributor
New split w/ Restoration...one song...very good. Check it out!
----
rekt
29.09.2010 - 22:25
Susan
Smeghead
elite
I love Wake/Lift but it's the only album I have. New split, huh? I'll have to check it out. Has anyone yet heard A Determinism of Morality?
----
"A life all mine
Is what I choose
At the end of my days"
--The Gathering "A Life All Mine" from Souvenirs
09.11.2010 - 20:00
IronAngel
Yes, has anyone? I should download it I guess, haven't seen it in the record store.

On a related note, Year Of No Light's Ausserwelt is mindblowing. Best post-shit this year.
16.11.2010 - 02:44
tea[m]ster
Au Pays Natal
contributor
Written by IronAngel on 09.11.2010 at 20:00

Yes, has anyone? I should download it I guess, haven't seen it in the record store.

On a related note, Year Of No Light's Ausserwelt is mindblowing. Best post-shit this year.

Holy crap, ADoM is a staff pick! If MS says it's good...

I'll have to pick up Year of No Light's latest....I have one of their cds, it's pretty good
----
rekt
16.11.2010 - 12:40
Ag Fox
Angel No More
elite
I really like A Determinism of Morality, guess I should try Year of No Light as well
----
loves 小巫
16.11.2010 - 21:03
BloodTears
ANA-thema
elite
I'm thinking about giving these guys a go.
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29

Like you could kiss my ass.

My Instagram
17.11.2010 - 03:13
Ag Fox
Angel No More
elite
Written by BloodTears on 16.11.2010 at 21:03

I'm thinking about giving these guys a go.
you should. it's great chilling music with plenty of replay value
----
loves 小巫