Album: VI - Klagopsalmer
Release date: July 2009

01. Vilseledda Barnasjälars Hemvist
02. Plågoande O'Helga Plågoande
03. Fullständigt Jävla Död Inuti
04. Ohm (Sommar Med Siv) [Seigmen cover]
05. Krossade Drömmar Och Brutna Löften
06. Total Utfrysning

Rejoice, it is finally here! VI - Klagopsalmer, the sixth offering of the Swedish Shining has finally arrived. At one point it seemed like Osmose would delay it until eternity. But now it is here and the question that Shining adepts such as myself have been dying to find the answer for can finally be answered: is it better than The Eerie Cold and V - Halmstad. Yes, I know we're all supposed to review albums on individual basis, but screw that, that's just not how us humans work, right? We know what Shining is capable of so why ignore that?

So well, to fast-forward to the conclusion here, it fails in comparison with its predecessors. In the end, it lacks the brooding mysticism and unsettling atmosphere the band once laid upon us. At times it sounds like this album tries to be too much of a Halmstad pt. 2, with a forced and uncomfortable acoustic interlude as fifth track and a couple of riffs that sound like leftovers from that album. To add to that, the bluesy riffs that made The Eerie Cold are gone and the flow of the songs is sometimes heavily disrupted by over-the-top and unfitting guitar-shredding. And the most entangling and heartfelt song, "Ohm (Sommar Med Siv)", is a cover (from Seigmen). Ironic, isn't it?

But that's where I'd like to draw a line with the criticism. Because don't get me wrong - VI - Klagopsalmer is a great album. The production of the album is darker, tad grimmer although not as thrusting. Hell, even if you're stealing your own riffs (the first riff of "Total Utfrysning" on VI versus the first riff of "Yttligare Ett Steg Närmare Total Jävla Utfrysning" on V), you're still a band every dark and tortured Black metal artist is immensely jealous of. And goddammit, Kvarforth still has a scream that rips the fabric of your soul.

This review may seem to be written by someone suffering from bipolar disorder, and frankly, that's how I feel about this album. I just can't really settle on one final opinion, as I dislike it one play and love it the next. But hey, few bands do it like Shining does it and no band beats or even approaches them. So for all you suicidal souls, get rid of your disappointment and enjoy three great albums. Or don't, and enjoy two.

Rating breakdown
Performance: 9
Songwriting: 8
Originality: 7
Production: 8

Written on 26.07.2009 by If you're interested in extreme, often emotional and underground music, check out my reviews. I retired from reviewing, but I really used to be into that stuff.

Comments

Comments: 22   Visited by: 287 users
26.07.2009 - 16:14
Elio
Red Nightmare
I agree it can't stand comparison with the almost perfect Halmstad and its previous, but it ain't a bad album after all.
----
IntoPlighT said: "Slipknot is 15 years old how the fuck is that Nu metal?"

BEST. QUOTE. EVER.
26.07.2009 - 17:24
Rating: 8
Slyfang

"the first riff of "Total Utfrysning" on 'VI' versus the first riff of "Yttligare Ett Steg Närmare Total Jävla Utfrysning" on 'V'

it's not stealing his own or recycling, it's part of a trilogy. notice that they both have Total Utfrysning written in their names? there's a song on the second album which has that same riff and a similar name again
26.07.2009 - 18:32
Konrad
Mormon Storm
I think Halmstad is their best album, but the band definitely has progressed since...just not in the direction that people wanted them to. I liked the album, but it doesn't compare the their last, and I think it's important to mention that. Good review.
----
Brujerizmo!
27.07.2009 - 03:12
Rating: 6
Damned-In-Black

I agree with the general consensus thus far. It doesn't measure up to the previous two. The album is similar enough to Halmstad, but feels lacking somewhat in every area that its predecessor stood out in. I can't call it bad. Just mediocre, and I've put it aside after a half-dozen listens because it's a disappointment. It does have its moments though and perhaps I'll return to it at some point.
27.07.2009 - 18:02
Crast

I'm enjoying this album quite a bit so far. Will probably be quite high on my top list for 2009.

.:crast:.
29.07.2009 - 06:52
Sunioj

That's true, I do miss the bluesy interludes. This one seemed to try to tap into a heavier sound, I still like it though.
29.07.2009 - 22:28
Drowned
Mr. Vitutation
Am I the only one who thinks that IV is absolutely the best Shining album? That was actually THE album which brought back my inspiration & believe in BM in general, after many years of weariness. It truly opened my eyes again, thus there has also been other unique albums around through the years.

Bluesy interludes missing... Well I'm going to check this new one out anyway.
31.07.2009 - 17:00
SoulScarred

Totally agree with the review..but I still like it anyway.
31.07.2009 - 17:07
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Written by Drowned on 29.07.2009 at 22:28

Am I the only one who thinks that IV is absolutely the best Shining album? That was actually THE album which brought back my inspiration & believe in BM in general, after many years of weariness. It truly opened my eyes again, thus there has also been other unique albums around through the years.

Bluesy interludes missing... Well I'm going to check this new one out anyway.

I haven't heard VI yet but I agree that IV is absolutely the best Shining album up to now.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

01.08.2009 - 20:34
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Finally got the album. I don't know the original Ohm by Seigmen but the main guitar sound and riff of the song could have easliy been played by Alchemist
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

02.08.2009 - 00:48
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Written by Azrael on 01.08.2009 at 22:45

This is my first album by shining, i thought they will sound like silencer but they didn't, not even pure black in my book, i was disappointed...

Waa? You thought Shining was pure-"I'm going to the woods and takes some pics with my band"-Black Metal? Far from it... One of the first things I do before checking the band is to know what they play so I don't get any kind of "Oh, I thought they were like this"
But good that you will check out more... You should, specially IV and V... Both albums are really good.

And also... imho I fail to see cheesyness on their music. At least not on what I've heard [which is pretty much all their albums except this one]
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29
Like you could kiss my ass
Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.
02.08.2009 - 02:38
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Written by X-Ray Rod on 02.08.2009 at 00:48

Waa? You thought Shining was pure-"I'm going to the woods and takes some pics with my band"-Black Metal? Far from it... One of the first things I do before checking the band is to know what they play so I don't get any kind of "Oh, I thought they were like this"
But good that you will check out more... You should, specially IV and V... Both albums are really good.

And also... imho I fail to see cheesyness on their music. At least not on what I've heard [which is pretty much all their albums except this one]

I wouldn't classify Silencer as "I'm going to the woods and takes some pics with my band"-Black Metal at all. Silencer are quite a lot like a mixe between old Bethlehem and old Shining.
Btw just received a mail about a Bethlehem tribute.
Here's the tracklisting:
V/A - "Schatten Aus der...Bethlehem / A tribute to Dictius te Necare"
Preorder only - available in mid-september

1. Maïeutiste (fr)- Schatten Aus Der Alexander Welt
2. Voodoo Planet (fr)- Die Anarchische Befreiung Der Augenzeugenreligion
3. Ataraxie (fr)- Aphel - Die Schwarze Schlange
4. Imindain (uk) - Tagebuch Einer Totgeburt
5. Mourning Dawn (fr)- Dorn Meiner Allmacht
6. Magnum Occultum Innominandum (fr)- Schuld Unseres Knöchrigen Faltpferds
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

02.08.2009 - 13:08
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 02.08.2009 at 02:38

I wouldn't classify Silencer as "I'm going to the woods and takes some pics with my band"-Black Metal at all. Silencer are quite a lot like a mixe between old Bethlehem and old Shining.

That guy was talking about Shining.... I was talking about Shining as well
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29
Like you could kiss my ass
Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.
02.08.2009 - 16:44
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Written by X-Ray Rod on 02.08.2009 at 13:08

My God I really o need new glasses

Btw, bck to this album. I have been playing it constantly today and notice it is a real grower with a brilliant built up (even the Ohm cover fits perfectly). I absolutley love the guitar solos (which are not shredfests unlike someone said in the Shining thread) The guitar solos here fit the music way better than what Drudkh does. Here they add to the songs whereas in durdkh they are just there for soloing sake it seems.
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

03.08.2009 - 22:19
Southern Wind
Account deleted
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 02.08.2009 at 16:44

Btw, bck to this album. I have been playing it constantly today and notice it is a real grower with a brilliant built up (even the Ohm cover fits perfectly). I absolutley love the guitar solos (which are not shredfests unlike someone said in the Shining thread) The guitar solos here fit the music way better than what Drudkh does. Here they add to the songs whereas in durdkh they are just there for soloing sake it seems.

Yeah I like Drudkh but their solos suck, especially since they fully became the snobbish beret-wearing black metal band they are.

Klagopsalmer is an amazing album from the very first listen.
04.08.2009 - 12:36
Rating: 9
MadTinus

I became a Shining fan with Halmstad and from what I've heard from their earlier stuff, it couldn't even stand in the shade of Halmstad, including IV.

Klagopsalmer is another fantastic album, it took some spins, but the quality is amazing again. What flaws the production on Halmstad had, are 'solved' on this album, the sound is more powerful than ever, crushing.

The songs and performances are amazing again as well. Particularly "Plågoande O'Helga Plågoande" and "Fullständigt Jävla Död Inuti" are utterly brilliant. The first mentioned for the amazing vocals and melodies and the other for the superb dynamics and shredding.

The drums and guitarplaying are incredible again as well. All in all, it's somewhat less twisted and insane than Halmstad and probably not as utterly great, but the differences are negligible.

And for the record, the 5th track is not a 'piano interlude', obviously that's an acoustic guitar being played there..
04.08.2009 - 22:29
Lucas
Mr. Noise
Written by MadTinus on 04.08.2009 at 12:36

Ah, you caught me doing what I do best: making stupid mistakes. :

Thanks, I've corrected it. Freudian slip.
----
SLUDGE. DOOM. DEATH. Wait, what?

"The reason I'm running for president is because I can't be Bruce Springsteen." - Barack Obama
25.08.2009 - 11:21
Uirapuru
Liver Failure
It is indeed a great album.. but its also true, the absence of the ''bluesy riffs'', and the ''out of place'' solos kinda ruin a little. The vocal seem annoying in the first track, but in the subsequents its not that bad.

This album doesnt stand for the two previous, but its always a good listen..
----

----
member of the true crusade against old school heavy metal, early 80s thrash, NWOBHM, traditional doom, first and second wave black metal, old school death metal, US power metal, 70s prog rock and atmospheric doomsludgestoner. o/
27.08.2009 - 19:02
Rating: 9
Ascendant187

After hearing so much about the album, and reading Lucas' review, I finally got this yesterday. Since then I've listened to it 3-4 times and I'm still quite surprised. Not in a bad way, mind you. I thought people were being a little dramatic with the "proggy" comments but now I can see for myself that a lot of the guitar work is definitely leaning toward that way. Again I don't think it's a bad thing but there's a certain expectation with Shining, I think.

I forget which song it was but the guitar "squeals" could've easily been found on a Pantera album, which was strange for me. It's a different album from Shining, that's for sure, but I'm still enjoying it. Does it rank up there with IV and V? Probably not, simply for the fact that it's a different type of album altogether I think.
28.03.2010 - 21:40
Visioneerie
Urban Monster
Liking technical and agressive music in general I'm subject to liking this album easily even though it differs from Halmstad and all their previous stuff and frankly, I'm glad it does. Now I can listen to the depressive stuff Shining is known for as well as the more agressive/progressive music that VI holds. Chances are if they would have continued with the formula on Halmstad it would've sounded watered down because it wouldn't have been as natural to them, thus the different approach on the new record. Anyways, the new music is still really dark.

Klagopsalmer is an amazing album, that's all.
----
Any man can stand adversity, but to test his character give him power - A. Lincoln
06.04.2010 - 11:25
Rating: 7
Dangerboner
Lactation Cnslt
Written by Guest on 03.08.2009 at 22:19

Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 02.08.2009 at 16:44

Yeah I like Drudkh but their solos suck, especially since they fully became the snobbish beret-wearing black metal band they are.

Why do you think they're snobbish? They don't give any interviews and don't perform live, so any reason why someone would think they're snobbish is due only to the internet fan reaction. They just do their thing every year, and then hide.... I'd probably do the same.
27.09.2012 - 07:07
Rating: 7
Evil Chip

At first It felt like the leftovers of Halmstad (mainly for the first track and the opening riff) but it's really good album. It may be not as hateful-mysanthrope as V or as melancholic-depressive as IV, but I like the direction in this one: more progressive, reflexive and oniric (the celesta in plagoande and the flanger clean guitar fullstandigt). There's a lot of thought involved in the music and too much self awareness of putting out a new record that sometimes makes me miss the more "naive" and spontaneus side of the previous records. Nevertheless overall it's a great record and a lot better than the boring and stale VII.

Hits total: 9402 | This month: 12