04. Reeking Orifices
05. Butchers Pinny
06. I'm Your Flash
07. Cripled Abortions
08. Total Body Devastation
09. Overeaten Anorexis Girl
10. Genetic Pain
11. Suffer The Children [Napalm Death cover]

Reek Of Shits is actually an amazing band really; their music has impressed many reviewers around the world and they have truly achieved a "solid name" in the Goregrind scene. Sadly they didn't impress me; I've been hearing this album for a couple of weeks now and it never hooked me completely; the music is quite solid and aggressive but, to tell you the truth, I was waiting for one of the best albums in Grind history.

All impressions aside, Deface Mind is a fairly good album; the music is indeed very solid and incredibly tight, the whole band fits perfectly and does a great job execution-wise. The brutality of this album is almost beyond belief, 30 minutes of blasting gore which will crush your eardrums after the first couple of tracks; that's always a good feature in a goregrind album believe me. What turned me off with "Deface Mind" was just the limited variations in the mix; most of the album is managed in blast-beats and fast as hell power-chords, the catchy and mid-paced sections(the ones I truly liked) appear every once in a while and those parts, if managed correctly, could have exploded this album to a higher-quality level.

Overall, this is a good album; the goregrind fanatics will praise it and will surely put together a little altar right next to their CD collection with a little bowel-shaped candle. After all, this is what Grindcore used to be, a simplistic mix of fast as hell music moved by straightforward chords and uncomplicated patterns. I'll keep this review short; fans of the genre pick this CD up!!!

Best Tracks: "Overeaten Anorexis Girl", "Cripled Abortions", "Genetic Pain"

Rating breakdown
Performance: 8
Songwriting: 8
Originality: 7
Production: 7

Written by Herzebeth | 18.07.2006

Comments

Comments: 6   Visited by: 8 users
18.07.2006 - 13:44
Black_Handed
A village idiot
it looks like herz got himself interested in czech republic lately . but maybe you should try review some death metal stuff too. maybe Hypnos (even though they disbanded :\). i think you might like them.
----

Cryptic Bleak Smurf of Ur
18.07.2006 - 17:01
Herzebeth

ok man I promise to take a look at Hypnos I'm on it.
----
18.07.2006 - 17:19
King Antichrist
Account deleted
Sounds fucking sick, are the vocals deep growls, high screams, or both?
I'll look into it, as you were spot on with Necrotorture
18.07.2006 - 17:34
Herzebeth

@King Antichrist: actually a little bit of both, but there are more growls than shrieks.. this is quite different from Necrotorture though..
----
18.07.2006 - 18:38
Black_Handed
A village idiot
oh and herz...dont expect hypnos to be extremely brutal. you might be bit disappointed. nevertheless i think that its pretty good death with great solos.
----

Cryptic Bleak Smurf of Ur
23.07.2006 - 09:44
King Antichrist
Account deleted
I got this album a few days back now, and I'm playing through it for the second time now. It's pretty impressive. Good range in the vocals, varied drumming and guitar work.
Pretty decent band, should appeal to most goregrind / extreme metal fans.

Hits total: 4703 | This month: 14