Metal Storm logo
Coroner

Original post

Posted by Joey Jo Jo, 18.07.2006 - 14:04
I don't know where to start about Coroner, my idea of an ultimate thrash band, so I'll say what's on my mind for now.

Aside from having top tier song writing, including some of the best lyrics, Tommy T Baron is possibly THE guitar god. The music just moves in a hypnotizing swirl, entraping anyone who hears it. I find it best to listen to thier albums Mental Voterx and No More Color passively, to just lay back and let it wash over you, I've gotten some of my best moods and thoughts out of doing this.

The band is simply legendary yet simply overlooked.
Unfortunately they were one of many victims to the Noise Label's imfamous screwjobs, and was forced to disband. They're not even listed on Noise's website for christ's sake!
03.06.2011 - 16:51
K✞ulu
Seeker of Truth
I have watched a few videos from Les Docks at Switzerland, and they definitely rock. The solos are not so perfect, but Ron Royce voice is still strong. Coroner are back, and they sound great!
----
Savor what you feel and what you see
Things that may not seem important now
But may be tomorrow

R.I.P. Chuck Schuldiner

Satan was a Backstreet Boy
06.06.2011 - 01:12
Guib
Thrash Talker
Written by K✞ulu on 03.06.2011 at 16:51

I have watched a few videos from Les Docks at Switzerland, and they definitely rock. The solos are not so perfect, but Ron Royce voice is still strong. Coroner are back, and they sound great!

I believe you man, nothing I heard from the band ever disapointed me, they simply rock
----
- Headbanging with mostly clogged arteries to that stuff -
Guib's List Of Essential Albums
- Also Thrash Paradise
Thrash Here
12.06.2011 - 16:03
truenoacero

They're really good, If you wanna start to hear them, you should listen to the albums Punishment For Decadence and No More Color
12.06.2011 - 16:30
Darkside Momo
Retired

I can't wait to see them at Hellfest next week! They're the band I'm coming for, most of all
----
My Author's Blog (in French)

"You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you"

"I've lost too many years now
I'm stealing back my soul
I am awake"
12.06.2011 - 19:15
K✞ulu
Seeker of Truth
Written by Darkside Momo on 12.06.2011 at 16:30

I can't wait to see them at Hellfest next week! They're the band I'm coming for, most of all

yeah... when I heard that they were going to play at Hellfest, I started thinking about the possibility of going to see them. Unfortunately, I can't, but I am glad they have reunited.
----
But may be tomorrow

R.I.P. Chuck Schuldiner

12.06.2011 - 20:38
Darkside Momo
Retired
Written by K✞ulu on 12.06.2011 at 19:15

Written by Darkside Momo on 12.06.2011 at 16:30

yeah... when I heard that they were going to play at Hellfest, I started thinking about the possibility of going to see them. Unfortunately, I can't, but I am glad they have reunited.

And they're supposed to do a few more shows, as opportunities arise and when they feel like it... So, maybe (an)other festival(s) next year? Wait and see, I guess...
----
My Author's Blog (in French)

"You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you"

"I've lost too many years now
I'm stealing back my soul
I am awake"
12.06.2011 - 22:11
Ghostdancer

Man, I would love to see them. I never had the opportunity when I was younger.
----
"Bullshit! You didn't convince me!"
02.01.2012 - 02:08
NLthrasher

I'm going to see them live at Wacken this year, one of the bands I look forward to the most although I don't really know what to expect. I don't know how big they are nowadays or what kind of show they will peform.
02.01.2012 - 12:57
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Written by NLthrasher on 02.01.2012 at 02:08

I'm going to see them live at Wacken this year, one of the bands I look forward to the most although I don't really know what to expect. I don't know how big they are nowadays or what kind of show they will peform.

They got good reviews from those of the staff who were on last years Hellfest
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29
Like you could kiss my ass
Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.
02.01.2012 - 16:45
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Written by X-Ray Rod on 02.01.2012 at 12:57

Written by NLthrasher on 02.01.2012 at 02:08

They got good reviews from those of the staff who were on last years Hellfest

I heard some negative comments by fans of theirs concerning the Hellfest performance as well. So, it seems split 50/50 whether or not they were good at hellfest.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

02.01.2012 - 16:49
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 02.01.2012 at 16:45
I heard some negative comments by fans of theirs concerning the Hellfest performance as well. So, it seems split 50/50 whether or not they were good at hellfest.

Doesn't stop me from having high expectations for their set in roadburn. I'll bet the fact that it would be indoors would help the sound (if that was the cause of some of the engative comments that is).
----
Rod, let me love you.
02.01.2012 - 16:53
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Written by X-Ray Rod on 02.01.2012 at 16:49

Doesn't stop me from having high expectations for their set in roadburn. I'll bet the fact that it would be indoors would help the sound (if that was the cause of some of the engative comments that is).

I am also expecting a lot of them at Roadburn and I am sure the sound will benefit from playing indoors.
The negative comments weren't about the sound but baout how uninspired the performance was. Apparently it was comparable to the uninspiredness of Slayer in 2010 and Heaven And Hell in 2009 at Hellfest
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

02.01.2012 - 16:57
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 02.01.2012 at 16:53

I am also expecting a lot of them at Roadburn and I am sure the sound will benefit from playing indoors.
The negative comments weren't about the sound but baout how uninspired the performance was. Apparently it was comparable to the uninspiredness of Slayer in 2010 and Heaven And Hell in 2009 at Hellfest

Dang...and you would think that with such music the guys would send some energy I so hope they have merch, want to buy more of their cds.
----
Rod, let me love you.
02.01.2012 - 17:58
NLthrasher

Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 02.01.2012 at 16:53

You would expect that they would be quite enthousiastic to play live after the reunion.
02.01.2012 - 18:06
Tormentor666

Heave you see them live? How they doing after all this time off the scene?
----
WARFARE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
04.01.2012 - 00:04
metalheadpunk
Account deleted
The first time i hear Coroner i was blown away. Their thrash is some of the best ive ever heard. I havent heard a song by them that was bad.
04.01.2012 - 19:45
NLthrasher

I dont really like there stuff like 'Der Mussolini' but thats a cover so I dont know if that counts.
04.01.2012 - 22:14
K✞ulu
Seeker of Truth
Written by NLthrasher on 04.01.2012 at 19:45

I dont really like there stuff like 'Der Mussolini' but thats a cover so I dont know if that counts.

What else have you listened to? All their albums are great depending on what you like more: the rawer 80's material, the awesome clarity of Mental Vortex or mesmerizing atmosphere of Grin.
----
But may be tomorrow

R.I.P. Chuck Schuldiner

04.01.2012 - 22:17
NLthrasher

Written by K✞ulu on 04.01.2012 at 22:14

Written by NLthrasher on 04.01.2012 at 19:45

What else have you listened to? All their albums are great depending on what you like more: the rawer 80's material, the awesome clarity of Mental Vortex or mesmerizing atmosphere of Grin.

I listened to all of their albums, I prefer their more 80's style thrash, but really I like allmost all of their stuff, just not the songs like Der Mussolini. They are one of my must see bands at Wacken this year
04.01.2012 - 22:19
NLthrasher

I think RIP is my fav Coroner album
04.01.2012 - 22:33
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Written by NLthrasher on 04.01.2012 at 22:19

It's ok I guess, I mean... they were quite celtic frost wannabes back then tbh. Just like Sepultura with their debut. It's just after when they began to be unique to me.
----
Rod, let me love you.
04.01.2012 - 22:44
NLthrasher

Written by X-Ray Rod on 04.01.2012 at 22:33

It's ok I guess, I mean... they were quite celtic frost wannabes back then tbh. Just like Sepultura with their debut. It's just after when they began to be unique to me.

Well I never cared for celtic frost and never digged them. I knew Coroner before celtic frost so I can look at this album quite objectively. So, to me thats not an issue.
04.01.2012 - 22:50
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Written by NLthrasher on 04.01.2012 at 22:44
Well I never cared for celtic frost and never digged them. I knew Coroner before celtic frost so I can look at this album quite objectively. So, to me thats not an issue.

Hheheheh, I'm not really commenting on the copycat thing, it's just that Sepultura and Coroner had really generic stuff with no much personality in the beginning. That was my point. I like them anywayl but it's the last thing I (and most people) would think when Coroner is mentioned considering that most of the stuff they are known for isn't there.
----
Rod, let me love you.
04.01.2012 - 22:56
NLthrasher

Written by X-Ray Rod on 04.01.2012 at 22:50

Written by NLthrasher on 04.01.2012 at 22:44

Hheheheh, I'm not really commenting on the copycat thing, it's just that Celtic Frost, Sepultura and Coroner had really generic stuff in the beginning. That was my point, not really any personality at all. I like it as well but it's the last thing I (and most people) would think when Coroner is mentioned considering that most of the stuff they are known for isn't there.

ah okay, i misunderstood you on that one

I just like RIP more than theirs the album Coroner which is a lot more experimental. When mentioning Coroner do people mostly think of the RIP kind of old school Coroner or the more experimental coroner?
04.01.2012 - 23:02
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Written by NLthrasher on 04.01.2012 at 22:56

ah okay, i misunderstood you on that one
I just like RIP more than theirs the album Coroner which is a lot more experimental. When mentioning Coroner do people mostly think of the RIP kind of old school Coroner or the more experimental coroner?

Well, to most people Coroner is well known for being an extremely good technical thrash band. We are thinking specifically about the No More Color / Mental Vortex era and some Punishment For Decadence too... Basically the middle albums but specially No More Color.

I'm pretty sure Grin got some mixed views at some time or another XP. That is the only album I would call "experimental", the rest is just tech thrash.

Shit... Now I feel like listening to Coroner, gonna spin my Mental Vortex copy now
----
Rod, let me love you.
05.01.2012 - 14:52
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Written by X-Ray Rod on 04.01.2012 at 22:33

It's ok I guess, I mean... they were quite celtic frost wannabes back then tbh. .

Not too surprsiing I'd say, case the guys in Coroner were Celtic Frost roadies.
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

11.01.2012 - 17:03
Tormentor666

They don't sound pretty much like Celtic Frost in that particular album (and therefore, the rest of them). Celtic Frost never attempted to make tech metal or progressive for that matter, they were far more darker than Coroner ever were and the atmosphere in their music was just completely different if not quite opposite.

You could say maybe that Coroner sounded a bit alike Celtic Frost in their "Death Cult" demo tape, but okay then, because Tom Warrior put some vocals on it.

As for the work of the band, I don't know which album to pick up as favourite. Maybe RIP or No More Color, but all of them are true masterpieces, and tomorrow I may go for Punishment for Decadence or Mental Vortex. One thing is clear though, I would never chose Grin, sounds sort of far too experimental for my taste.
----
11.01.2012 - 17:28
K✞ulu
Seeker of Truth
Written by Tormentor666 on 11.01.2012 at 17:03

As for the work of the band, I don't know which album to pick up as favourite. Maybe RIP or No More Color, but all of them are true masterpieces, and tomorrow I may go for Punishment for Decadence or Mental Vortex. One thing is clear though, I would never chose Grin, sounds sort of far too experimental for my taste.

I think I would usually go for Mental Vortex because of the songwriting and great sound clarity on that album, but Grin... man, that album is something else. I took some time to get into it, but for me it is a true masterpiece: both brutal and mesmerizing.
----
But may be tomorrow

R.I.P. Chuck Schuldiner

11.01.2012 - 17:41
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Celtic Frost never attempted to make tech metal or progressive for that matter.

Coroner's debut, R.I.P., while having some tech/prog approaches which they would use more and more in later albums... still have strong Celtic Frost influences which are pretty obvious in that album. Not a carbon copy but definitely influenced.
----
Rod, let me love you.
11.01.2012 - 19:28
Tormentor666

Written by K✞ulu on 11.01.2012 at 17:28

I think I would usually go for Mental Vortex because of the songwriting and great sound clarity on that album, but Grin... man, that album is something else. I took some time to get into it, but for me it is a true masterpiece: both brutal and mesmerizing.

I'll keep trying with Grin, Coroner deserves. But I always prefer a more old school sound, better if it is well produced as in Mental Vortex.

@Mr. Doctor, you may be right, but honestly, when I listen to most of the RIP songs, Celtic Frost stuff is the last that comes to my mind. Anyway, it is normal Coroner borrowed aspects and influences from Celtic Frost, given the fact that they're from the same country and they guys were roadies from them. But still, I don't see anymore than just that. But of course, it is my personal perception.
----