03. Round And Round
04. In Your Direction
05. She Wants Money
06. Lack Of Communication
07. Back For More
08. The Morning After
09. I'm Insane
10. Scene Of The Crime

Motley Crue and Hanoi Rocks made it happen, the glam/sleaze hard rock scene of the 80s was reality and Ratt couldn't be missing from the whole party! It's 1983 and the renowned self-titled EP comes out and the sleazy tribe celebrates under the tunes of perversion of Ratt.

1984 arrives and their debut album comes "Out Of The Cellar" and from its cover you realize that they are not angels, on the contrary, they are dirty and ready for everything! Well, they keep up the general approach of the scene in terms of sound, attitude, aesthetic etc but they present their own identity through their compositions.

The songs of "Out Of The Celar" flow mainly on a vivid and groovy mid-tempo way, without forgetting though to place here and there some more upbeat passages that escalate the compositions. The guitar work is just fabulous with the on-tempo riffing lending that danceable and poser groove the sleazy compositions must have and the high-quality solos make the whole feeling more affected. Really, the guitarists pours their souls to the altar of rock n' roll with their solos, some of which really burn the shrouds with their twisted feeling (just listen to "Back For More" and you'll get what I mean, the solos speak for themselves).

A punk-oriented feeling is vivid in the atmosphere of the album but let's not forget the New York Dolls and the impact they had in the scene, with a primary sound though. The rhythm section keeps the tempo in the most ideal way and here and there you may notice some really nice and creative bass guitar passages. The vocals are dirty as you expected with Pearcy interpreting the in the bad-ass-and-dirty-lover vein lyrics in the most appropriate way. The sing-along moments lend the album a more arena-like style where all the poser glam/sleaze rockers poor themselves!

Take my advice and listen to the album as a whole, after all it isn't so lengthy, without choosing the one song or the other because the compositions have a nice flow all together, there's a really good chemistry between them with the album balancing somewhere between mid-tempo and upbeat groove, keeping always a danceable feeling.

Come "Out Of The Cellar", grab the naughty girl that is waiting outside, get back in the cellar and play rock n roll! An album that every dedicated glam rocker shouldn't forget to check!

"I wanna rock, but you, you dared to roll..."

Written on 02.01.2006 by "It is myself I have never met, whose face is pasted on the underside of my mind."

Comments

Comments: 6   Visited by: 62 users
10.08.2009 - 17:11
DayFly

One of the best albums of the scene. Better than anything Mötley Crüe and Quiet Riot ever released at any rate.

I don't understand why this review drops the rock'n'roll term so much, though. This is pretty much based in heavy metal, unlike the later glam bands.
28.11.2009 - 06:19
Derwood

Good lord, this is one of the worst albums of a terrible genre. This crap is every bit as bad as anything Duran Duran ever foisted upon the world, though even poppier.

Up next, a glowing review of Open Up and Say...Ahh

Why is it that it only ever seems to be people who weren't there in the 80's that seem to like this shit?
----
You can't fight evil with a macaroni duck!
28.11.2009 - 14:55
Lord_Regnier

Written by Derwood on 28.11.2009 at 06:19

Why is it that it only ever seems to be people who weren't there in the 80's that seem to like this shit?

Interesting question. If you find the answer, tell me. I never found an explanation myself.
The only thing I can think of is maybe younger people don't fully realize how fucking stupid everything glam-ish looked back then.
----
"Why would we fear death, when life is so much more frightening?"
14.01.2012 - 07:04
Boxcar Willy
yr a kook
H8trs gonna h8!

I like this album, along with most glam rock.
----
14:22 - Marcel Hubregtse
I do your mum

DESTROY DRUM TRIGGERS
06.07.2015 - 20:06
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Sad when so good reviewer left our site , I am listening album now, so I decide read a review
----
Life is to short for LOVE, there is many great things to do online !!!

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
07.07.2015 - 19:33
ADIresiduos

Very good album from Ratt. I was a fan of glam metal back then, but not so much nowadays; nevertheless, I do recognize and remember good metal albums from that time.

Hits total: 12589 | This month: 19