Metal Storm logo
Satyricon

Original post

Posted by matos, 19.07.2006 - 18:44
No official Satyricon thread ?!? ok here it is !
I don't want to write a wide monologue about how i feel about the band, so i'll just give you the short version:
Satyricon: you should all know them! they've been my favourite band for quite a long time, it's hard to decide which album attracts me the most, but i'd say it's DMT. Many people don't like their later material (after Nemesis Devina), but come on Rebel Extravaganza is also a masterpiece, the main problem about this album is that it comes after their legendary 3rd album - Nemesis Devina. But i'd call RE a great example of moderen black metal that is not yet sell-out. About Vulcano - yeah, it's not that good album, but still there are some good songs to be found on it. After this album we all hoped that Satyricon would return to their roots, but they turned in totally different direction- towards mtv
So i guess that is a fatal downfall, for the Kings of Black metal

Sad ending of a story... But i have i wonderful news for my Slovenian friends! I've heared Satyricon are coming to Slovenia this autumn!! (sorce: http://www.rockthenation.at/index.php?id=37)
01.11.2008 - 21:34
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Written by Guest on 01.11.2008 at 21:32

Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 01.11.2008 at 21:25

Written by Guest on 01.11.2008 at 21:05

And the vid comes out on Monday. Or is it a hidden bonus material on the album?

I've got the cd on me. So let me look...

CD1 is The Age Of Nero
Bonus CD (2) consists of:
1. My Skin Is Cold (ep version)
2. Live Through Me (live from Gjallarhorn)
3. Existential Fear-questions (live from Gjallarhorn)
4. Repined Bastard Nation (live from Gjallarhorn)
5. Mother North (live from Gjallarhorn) [cd version]
6. The Pentagram Burns (radio edit)
7. Last Man Standing (guitar wall mix)
8. Den Siste (analog mix)
9. K.I.N.G. (music video)
10. The Pentagram Burns (music video)

Hehe...
But how about the vid. of "Black Crow on a Tombstone"?

As you can see not on the cd. It seems like the cd has been released in the Netherlands a couple of days before most other countries.
But of course the reason for that could be that Roadrunner is a Dutch company.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

01.11.2008 - 21:45
Marilin
Account deleted
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 01.11.2008 at 21:34

Written by Guest on 01.11.2008 at 21:32

Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 01.11.2008 at 21:25

Written by Guest on 01.11.2008 at 21:05

And the vid comes out on Monday. Or is it a hidden bonus material on the album?

I've got the cd on me. So let me look...

CD1 is The Age Of Nero
Bonus CD (2) consists of:
1. My Skin Is Cold (ep version)
2. Live Through Me (live from Gjallarhorn)
3. Existential Fear-questions (live from Gjallarhorn)
4. Repined Bastard Nation (live from Gjallarhorn)
5. Mother North (live from Gjallarhorn) [cd version]
6. The Pentagram Burns (radio edit)
7. Last Man Standing (guitar wall mix)
8. Den Siste (analog mix)
9. K.I.N.G. (music video)
10. The Pentagram Burns (music video)

Hehe...
But how about the vid. of "Black Crow on a Tombstone"?

As you can see not on the cd. It seems like the cd has been released in the Netherlands a couple of days before most other countries.
But of course the reason for that could be that Roadrunner is a Dutch company.

And as I first meant- the video is presented next week.
03.11.2008 - 19:08
-DC-002-
Mastercommander
Black Crow on a Tombstone is a really catchy song. and it isn't that bad either
----
Coldgrits
13.11.2008 - 14:12
-DC-002-
Mastercommander
I'm gonna change my opinion. Black Crow On a Tombstone is still a very catchy song. Its so fucking stupid though, its Satyricon's Run To The Hills. Its just the chorus over and over.... and over again
----
Coldgrits
13.11.2008 - 17:24
-Soulreaper-

Written by -DC-002- on 13.11.2008 at 14:12

I'm gonna change my opinion. Black Crow On a Tombstone is still a very catchy song. Its so fucking stupid though, its Satyricon's Run To The Hills. Its just the chorus over and over.... and over again

Yeah, it does get kind of monotonous, but like you said?it's a really catchy damn song. I have had it stuck in my head since I seen the video yesterday.
14.11.2008 - 02:38
-DC-002-
Mastercommander
Written by -Soulreaper- on 13.11.2008 at 17:24

Yeah, it does get kind of monotonous, but like you said?it's a really catchy damn song. I have had it stuck in my head since I seen the video yesterday.

I'm so glad someone else does too. I have that whole "HERE COMES THE MESSENGER OF DEATH, BLACK CROW ON A TOMBSTONE" thing stuck in my head. and the only way to get it out of my head is... TO STICK A GUN IN MY MOUTH!!!
----
Coldgrits
14.11.2008 - 03:19
-Soulreaper-

Written by -DC-002- on 14.11.2008 at 02:38

Written by -Soulreaper- on 13.11.2008 at 17:24

I'm so glad someone else does too. I have that whole "HERE COMES THE MESSENGER OF DEATH, BLACK CROW ON A TOMBSTONE" thing stuck in my head. and the only way to get it out of my head is... TO STICK A GUN IN MY MOUTH!!!

Hah, that is the same exact part that just plays over and over in my head. But I havent figured out if it is a good thing or not yet.
30.11.2008 - 18:23
Jessing
Account deleted
My favorite black metal band and like their new stuff to..

I really like their new album.. I can't understand it's low rating... Black Crow On a Tombstone, Die By My Hand and My Skind Is Cold are all great songs Imo
01.12.2008 - 00:09
Khaldi

Oh no.. i don't like their last album . i prefer their early albums : aspacially Nemesis dиvine and Diabolical
now . By the way about Diabolical now i think it's a not black metal but something kind of 'post death
metal'
----
Urartu is a NeoHittite and ProtoArmenian kingdom !!
02.12.2008 - 19:26
Sandarameth
Account deleted
Last 2 albums we can easly call My Skin Is Cold...
03.01.2009 - 16:47
VPeter

I am now listing Dark Medieval Times again and shed a tear for what has happened to Satyricon. Dark Medieval Times, by far the best Black metal debut of the Norwegian Black Metal scene. Satyricon what has happened to you? first making awesome Atmospheric Black Metal then Awesome filthy Black roll and then you changed into Shityricon... radio rock for masses and when I taught you guys couldn't get any worse, you released The Age of Zero.. An album so bad it surpasses even Bloodrunk in awfulness, at least Bloodrunk has some catchy parts here and there to keep you from being bored. *sighs* how money is a whore... and screw those people who jump on Shityricon's bandwagon of "fuck you! we do what we want! our own style!" even though it's clearly that Shityricon did it for money.
http://www.metal-archives.com/images/3/4/1/341_photo.jpg
:')
03.01.2009 - 21:33
Got Mayhem?

Written by VPeter on 03.01.2009 at 16:47

I am now listing Dark Medieval Times again and shed a tear for what has happened to Satyricon. Dark Medieval Times, by far the best Black metal debut of the Norwegian Black Metal scene. Satyricon what has happened to you? first making awesome Atmospheric Black Metal then Awesome filthy Black roll and then you changed into Shityricon... radio rock for masses and when I taught you guys couldn't get any worse, you released The Age of Zero.. An album so bad it surpasses even Bloodrunk in awfulness, at least Bloodrunk has some catchy parts here and there to keep you from being bored. *sighs* how money is a whore... and screw those people who jump on Shityricon's bandwagon of "fuck you! we do what we want! our own style!" even though it's clearly that Shityricon did it for money.

Yea, Mother North is still one of my favorite BM songs of all time. To make it easier for myself I just don't classify the new Satyricon stuff as BM at all. It's some kind of Black N' Roll with some thrash elements.
If there is one good thing about TAON it's that they let Frost loose to do his great drumming. On stuff like Now, Diabolical he seemed so tame, it was a waste of his talent.
----
05.01.2009 - 22:10
Khaldi

Written by matos on 19.07.2006 at 18:44

Many people don't like their later material (after Nemesis Devina), but come on Rebel Extravaganza is also a masterpiece, the main problem about this album is that it comes after their legendary 3rd album - Nemesis Devina. But i'd call RE a great example of moderen black metal that is not yet sell-out. About Vulcano - yeah, it's not that good album, but still there are some good songs to be found on it. After this album we all hoped that Satyricon would return to their roots, but they turned in totally different direction- towards mtv
So i guess that is a fatal downfall, for the Kings of Black metal

Volcano is the masterpiece Though also you are right, their early creativity is better , But
as I think that last albums are not too bad as everyone speak,Sometimes even I listen to them with
more great pleasure than earlys.
----
07.01.2009 - 04:19
Valaskjalf
Account deleted
The guys from Satyricon look so freekin gay in the new Metal Hammer....with their designer glasses and fancy haircuts. These dudes are milking it man...haha The new album is pretty lame imo - I dont think they "sold out" (for lack of better term) i just think its excruciatingly laborious and lacks balls and atmosphere.
07.01.2009 - 19:08
Got Mayhem?

Written by Guest on 07.01.2009 at 04:19

The guys from Satyricon look so freekin gay in the new Metal Hammer....with their designer glasses and fancy haircuts. These dudes are milking it man...haha The new album is pretty lame imo - I dont think they "sold out" (for lack of better term) i just think its excruciatingly laborious and lacks balls and atmosphere.

Did you watch the music vid for 'Black Crow on a Tombstone'?
I'm sorry to say, but it has finally happened. Satyr is losing his grimness.
The last few vids were mainstream, but at least Satyr and Frost made an effort to look evil. But with BCoaT... I can't even recognize these guys anymore.
----
07.01.2009 - 19:25
Luciferion

The new album, and to some degree the two before it weren't up to the same caliber as there earlier music. That being said, I think that it's decent, just not Satyricon worthy.

Nemesis Divina was tehre defining moment in my views, and definitely my favorite BM CD I've ever heard. m/
----
Fear makes the wolf bigger than he is, and I am the wolf that hunts you.
08.01.2009 - 23:45
VPeter

Written by Got Mayhem? on 03.01.2009 at 21:33

Written by VPeter on 03.01.2009 at 16:47

Yea, Mother North is still one of my favorite BM songs of all time. To make it easier for myself I just don't classify the new Satyricon stuff as BM at all. It's some kind of Black N' Roll with some thrash elements.
If there is one good thing about TAON it's that they let Frost loose to do his great drumming. On stuff like Now, Diabolical he seemed so tame, it was a waste of his talent.

What ever it is - it f*cking sucks. They have become music for the wannabee slick rockstar kids and their latest video confirms it.
11.02.2009 - 21:31
Ragana
Rawrcat
Written by Guest on 07.01.2009 at 04:19

The guys from Satyricon look so freekin gay in the new Metal Hammer....with their designer glasses and fancy haircuts.

At first I thought the same, but then again... well, in the other hand, Satyr still hasn't lost his charm and Frost is as cool as always.

Today is teh global (a.k.a. - my room) day of Satyricon - just perfect for checking out the new album for the second time, as I haven't been much impressed by listening it at first. Now, I have found another catchy song ("The Wolfpack") from the last album (the first, obviously was "Black Crow On A Tombstone"), which reminds me a bit of the great times with "K.I.N.G." which still with "Fuel For Hatred" are my favorite songs from Satyricon (yeah, except "Mother North" there aren't any other favorites, I guess).
Hm, they nearly can fit in the black metal genre, but they still sound good. I have no idea how do they manage to do that.
11.02.2009 - 22:02
ForeverDarkWoods

I like Satyricon up to and including Nemesis Divina as well as stray songs from their later albums (To The Mountains!). Most of their later work is boring though (King and Fuel For Hatred are some of the worst), and My Skin Is Cold has one of the lamest choruses ever, but I till respect them for putting out Dark Medieval times, with such awesome songs as The Dark Castle In The Deep Forest.

I also got to see them live last summer. They started with Hvite Krists Dod and finished with Mother North . Even their crappy songs also sound a lot better live and you can spend your time headbanging so hard you don't even care.
----
Free nations are peaceful nations. Free nations don't attack each other. Free nations don't develop weapons of mass destruction!
- George W. Bush, ex-president of the United States of America
19.02.2009 - 21:42
Khaldi

----
26.03.2009 - 02:37
Lord_Regnier

Satyricon is among my favourite bands, but only their old stuff. I love "Dark Medieval Times", "The Shadowthrone", "Nemesis Divina" and "The Forest Is My Throne".

However, anything they have done after ND sucks, imo. Most of their new stuff sounds kinda industrial, and I dislike industrial music.

I will always respect this band for their earlier works, which are awesome, but I can't stand what we could call 'the new Satyricon' at all.
----
"Why would we fear death, when life is so much more frightening?"
24.06.2009 - 18:43
AnGina--
Dark Phoenix
Ahahaha, LoL the new age of nero That's just priceless

Well, I always kinda liked Satyricon, but since i was them live lčast year the immediately came one of my faves. I'm going to see them again next Saturday on Metal Camp festival and I can't wait cause IMHO they are one of the best bands live, they really put themselves in and Satyr really knows how to communicate with the public.

Dark Medieval Times is just
----
You think darkness is your ally? You merely adopted the dark. I was born in it. Molded by it. I didn't see the light until I was a man. But it was nothing to me but blinding.
03.07.2009 - 23:04
VaronoZz
Vampbaron
DMT and Shadowthrone are at least "gold epic moments" for black metal history.. So dark, so ..romantic(if i can say that) and epic atmosphere. Hearing these albums u can travel in other eras.
Nemesis Divina is a masterpiece, but with the perfume of the new black metal sound. About later, for me the best moments are RebelExtravaganza and Now Diavolical. I dont like so much Volcano..
----
give praise for the blood it bled,
grant a rose for the dead...
19.07.2009 - 00:59
JAGEagent

I like the first three albums, the later ones don't really offend me, but I don't think they improved after ND. Wow I love that song Mother North.

The video is very nice if you like girls too.
22.07.2009 - 08:00
wormdrink414

Volcano is a decent album. I don't know about anything else they've done. Literally. I haven't listened to any of it.
12.10.2009 - 22:58
FOOCK Nam

Written by JAGEagent on 19.07.2009 at 00:59

I like the first three albums, the later ones don't really offend me, but I don't think they improved after ND. Wow I love that song Mother North.

The video is very nice if you like girls too.

Yeah so good MOTHER North,

Anyway, the latest one The Age of Nero is boring as fuck to me, montonous, less double bass or something intense.
18.10.2009 - 05:44
stephenssaiyan
Account deleted
I can't get into black n roll.
12.11.2009 - 07:00
SatyriconChick

Satyricon... My favorite black metal band on the planet. Unlike most of the people in this thread, I love everything they've ever done, and I started with Dark Medieval Times. Seen them live twice so far, definitely plan on seeing them again next time they come over here. They are amazing live, and Frost is a great guy; I was lucky enough to meet him.
12.11.2009 - 14:25
Ginnung

The Age of Nero is a modernized version of Satyricon, more catchy and rocking, still it's full of those melodies which characterize only Satyricon.
28.01.2010 - 23:20
JD
Account deleted
I enjoyed the last 5 albums by Satyricon!!