Ahab - The Divinity Of Oceans review

Bandcamp music player
Reviewer:

276 users:
Band: Ahab
Album: The Divinity Of Oceans
Style: Funeral doom metal
Release date: July 2009

01. Yet Another Raft Of The Medusa (Pollard's Weakness)
02. The Divinity Of Oceans
03. O Father Sea
04. Redemption Lost
05. Tombstone Carousal
06. Gnawing Bones (Coffin's Lot)
07. Nickerson's Theme

Way back in 2006 Ahab released The Call Of The Wretched Sea, a crushing funeral doom album based on Herman Melville's novel "Moby Dick". The album went on to win the Metal Storm Award in the Extreme Doom Metal category.

So how would 2009's follow up, The Divinity Of Oceans stack up?

For starters, the nautical theme continues with this album. The Divinity Of Oceans is based on "The Loss Of The Ship Essex, Sunk By A Whale" by Owen Chase and Thomas Nickerson. The book is about the horrors suffered by the crew of the Essex after the ship was sunk by a whale? some 20 sailors spent 90 days floating around the South Pacific, thousands of miles from home and hundreds of miles from land in small wooden boats. The book was also the inspiration for the climactic scene of "Moby Dick".

The album kicks off treading the same musical water as its precursor. A nice quiet, serene clean piece slowly ushers in the album until a tsunami-sized riff slams home and consigns you to a watery musical grave.

But whereas their initial offering was fairly one dimensional (albeit a fantastic album within that dimension), The Divinity Of Oceans has more depth to it, primarily in the vocal department. You aren't more than a couple minutes in to the album, with familiar riffs and growls before vocalist Daniel Droste switches to a clean tone, which is every bit as mournful as the growls are menacing. He alternates between both clean and guttural through-out the record.

The music itself has a bit more to offer as well. Aside from just crushing, slow riffs that seem to ebb and flow with the tide, there are some great melodic and melancholic guitar leads over the riffs adding to the atmosphere. At another point during a calm break around the four minute mark of "Tombstone Carousal" a nice clean, almost optimistic, guitar comes in for a few seconds that reminded me of acoustic wizard Adrian Legg's Guitar For Mortals and conjures images of the crew languishing in their little life boats during a light rain? Of course the peace is very short lived. It's as if they added a couple shots of darkwave to their own brand of nautic funeral doom.

The nutshell version? They took the same formula that spawned the immense The Call Of The Wretched Sea and built upon it, resulting in an album that surpasses their initial, award-winning offering.

Doom ahoy, mateys.

Rating breakdown
Performance: 9
Songwriting: 10
Originality: 8
Production: 9

Written on 25.08.2009 by BitterCOld has been officially reviewing albums for MetalStorm since 2009.

Comments

Comments: 31   Visited by: 370 users
25.08.2009 - 18:48
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
elite
An utterly brilliant album this is.
Can't wait to see them live in October.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

26.08.2009 - 00:29
Odium
Mmmm I have to listen this band...
26.08.2009 - 00:33
Talvi
I liked the debut better, but both are really good fuenral doom albums.
----
My account on other musical pages:
http://www.last.fm/user/Pozito/
http://rateyourmusic.com/~Talvi
26.08.2009 - 01:36
ylside
staff
Great debut, will definitly check this one.
26.08.2009 - 03:48
Southern Wind
Account deleted
As Marcel said, this is utterly brilliant stuff... I would had rate it with a 10 without shame
26.08.2009 - 12:33
Rating: 9
Ask
One of my favorite releases this year. I liked this a bit more than their debut.
26.08.2009 - 12:48
Rating: 7
Elio
Red Nightmare
Album is good, even if I'm not that much into funeral doom.

Also, since BitterCOld, caught the literary referencies, I'll add that the cover is a painting from the Romantic French painter Theodore Gericault, called The raft of the Medusa, with the story behind this being similar to the one already told by the reviewer.
----
IntoPlighT said: "Slipknot is 15 years old how the fuck is that Nu metal?"

BEST. QUOTE. EVER.
26.08.2009 - 14:03
Njord
njord
Along with Yob's "Great Cessation", "Divinity of Oceans" is the best doom album I listened lately. Clearly deserves a 9.

About the review, I like the way you write, it's very fluid and nice to read. The metaphor you used to define the music "Tombstone Carousal" was brilliant. Keep them coming
26.08.2009 - 23:28
Rating: 8
I really enjoyed this and agree its an improvement from their last. I know nothing of doom, but this album makes me feel like ive been listening to it all along..
27.08.2009 - 08:00
Crème fraiche
Sounds interesting. I was never too into doom, but I'd like to check this out
27.08.2009 - 09:09
Daggon
Underpaid M.D.
As many people know, I'm not very much into doom metal, so obviously I don't know a shit about funeral doom, but I listened to some samples they have on myspace and I really liked their stuff seems like I've been missing very good material out there, It feels so good when you discover something new.
----
"Les vers savent qu'ils n'ont pas d'ailes, c'est pour cela qu'ils se cachent sous terre"
27.08.2009 - 12:14
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
staff
Written by Daggon on 27.08.2009 at 09:09

As many people know, I'm not very much into doom metal, so obviously I don't know a shit about funeral doom, but I listened to some samples they have on myspace and I really liked their stuff seems like I've been missing very good material out there, It feels so good when you discover something new.

Well, the best thing with Doom is that there are a lot of subgenres of it. So you have indeed missed a lot of different stuff. But we will take care of you

Welcome to the doomed family
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29
Like you could kiss my ass
Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.
27.08.2009 - 12:30
Lucas
Mr. Noise
elite

Try my article.

@Bitter

Nice review. Due to holidays and whatnot I haven't been able to fully drench myself in this album, but it does sound at least as good as The Call.
----
SLUDGE. DOOM. DEATH. Wait, what?

"The reason I'm running for president is because I can't be Bruce Springsteen." - Barack Obama
27.08.2009 - 16:49
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
staff
Written by Lucas on 27.08.2009 at 12:30

Try my article.

But wouldn't that be a difficult start? It's not like the dude has to start with My Dying Bride, but most of the albums in the list are difficult to get into o.o

But yeah... If one person don't get the stuff from your list, then he's/she's not a doomer
----
Rod, let me love you.
28.08.2009 - 04:14
Daggon
Underpaid M.D.
Written by X-Ray Rod on 27.08.2009 at 16:49

Written by Lucas on 27.08.2009 at 12:30

Try my article.

But wouldn't that be a difficult start? It's not like the dude has to start with My Dying Bride, but most of the albums in the list are difficult to get into o.o

But yeah... If one person don't get the stuff from your list, then he's/she's not a doomer

@Mr.Doctor: Then that means I will give it a try for sure

@Lucas: I once read your article and made me feel curious about those albums, I've heard only "Ordo Ad Chao" from your list, and I love it so, I guess I'll listen to more of your sick stuff.

Thanks!
----
"Les vers savent qu'ils n'ont pas d'ailes, c'est pour cela qu'ils se cachent sous terre"
29.08.2009 - 14:51
InnerSelf
proofread free
This is truely a masterpiece , loved it even more than their debut
the way the album flows is wonderful and as you said the vocals are great
"Redemption Lost" just gives me the chils
nice review
----
He who is not bold enough
to be stared at from across the abyss
is not bold enough
to stare into it himself.
09.10.2009 - 15:37
Rating: 10
advent
Yup it's a masterpiece....the doom/gothic genre made me into metalhead in first place and this album just proof my point of view ....and i think they will compete well with shape of despair in this genre.
09.10.2009 - 15:42
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
staff
Written by advent on 09.10.2009 at 15:37

Yup it's a masterpiece....the doom/gothic genre made me into metalhead in first place and this album just proof my point of view ....and i think they will compete well with shape of despair in this genre.

I'm sorry, but I fail to compare Shape Of Despair with Ahab and I can't see a trace of gothic in Ahab's music.
----
Rod, let me love you.
09.10.2009 - 16:57
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
elite
Written by X-Ray Rod on 09.10.2009 at 15:42

Written by advent on 09.10.2009 at 15:37

I'm sorry, but I fail to compare Shape Of Despair with Ahab and I can't see a trace of gothic in Ahab's music.

More or less the answer I wanted to give. But I also don't see a trace of gothic in Shape Of Despair's music.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

09.10.2009 - 19:23
InnerSelf
proofread free
Maybe he was just saying that Doom AND Gothic got him into metal and not that AhabSahpe of despair are Gothic
but I do agree that there is no room for comparement between the two bands , cuz each one of them has it's own style of Funeral doom
----
is not bold enough
05.12.2009 - 05:56
Got Mayhem?
Great theme. The tale of the Essex was the main story which inspired Moby Dick. The true test is to come up with a 3rd Nautik theme for another album!
----
15.10.2010 - 02:34
Powerslavex
Alexskywalker
Actually i like it more than The Call Of The Wretched Sea, 9/10 my favorite song redemption lost
12.04.2011 - 23:20
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
admin
Written by Elio on 26.08.2009 at 12:48

Also, since BitterCOld, caught the literary referencies, I'll add that the cover is a painting from the Romantic French painter Theodore Gericault, called The raft of the Medusa, with the story behind this being similar to the one already told by the reviewer.

incidentally, i made a point of checking out the painting at the Louvre last fall. really glad i did... although navigating the museum on almost no sleep and just fueled by coffee and adrenaline was a tad difficult.
----
get the fuck off my lawn.

Beer Bug Virus Spotify Playlist crafted by Nikarg and I. Feel free to tune in and add some pertinent metal tunes!
13.04.2011 - 00:18
Elio
Red Nightmare
Written by BitterCOld on 12.04.2011 at 23:20

incidentally, i made a point of checking out the painting at the Louvre last fall. really glad i did... although navigating the museum on almost no sleep and just fueled by coffee and adrenaline was a tad difficult.

did you graduate in something man?
----

BEST. QUOTE. EVER.
13.04.2011 - 00:26
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
admin
Written by Elio on 13.04.2011 at 00:18

Written by BitterCOld on 12.04.2011 at 23:20

did you graduate in something man?

Me? Sure. Russian Studies. lots of good literature. But the Mrs got a degree in Art History before earning a Masters in Education. She loves art, i love specific bits of it. Romanticism being one of those i like for the expressiveness. this piece has a great range of emotions from the despondent and dying at the bottom of the raft to the overjoyed at the top of the pyramid... The Louvre was my favorite art museum we hit thanks to the amazing range of content... as opposed to some of those in, say, Florence, who had a laser-like focus.
----
get the fuck off my lawn.

Beer Bug Virus Spotify Playlist crafted by Nikarg and I. Feel free to tune in and add some pertinent metal tunes!
13.04.2011 - 00:29
Elio
Red Nightmare
Written by BitterCOld on 13.04.2011 at 00:26

Me? Sure. Russian Studies. lots of good literature. But the Mrs got a degree in Art History before earning a Masters in Education. She loves art, i love specific bits of it. Romanticism being one of those i like for the expressiveness. this piece has a great range of emotions from the despondent and dying at the bottom of the raft to the overjoyed at the top of the pyramid... The Louvre was my favorite art museum we hit thanks to the amazing range of content... as opposed to some of those in, say, Florence, who had a laser-like focus.

hah, I was referring to your new username and so I thought you could have just got a degree in something. btw both Russian literature and Art are awesome, you and your wife have surely a lot to food your souls with.
----

BEST. QUOTE. EVER.
13.04.2011 - 00:35
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
staff
Written by Elio on 13.04.2011 at 00:29

hah, I was referring to your new username and so I thought you could have just got a degree in something.

If I'm not mistaken, he changed his username as a way of mocking the current wave of doctors in MS.
----
Rod, let me love you.
13.04.2011 - 00:38
Elio
Red Nightmare
Written by X-Ray Rod on 13.04.2011 at 00:35

Written by Elio on 13.04.2011 at 00:29

hah, I was referring to your new username and so I thought you could have just got a degree in something.

If I'm not mistaken, he changed his username as a way of mocking the current wave of doctors in MS.

hah I see. Hopefully I will claim a MD title in the next years aswell

well, enough off-topic in the review of this good album.
----

BEST. QUOTE. EVER.
12.10.2011 - 15:59
Frost Beast
Account deleted
Written by InnerSelf on 29.08.2009 at 14:51

nice review

I've heard Redemption Lost several times before, but I only checked out the whole album yesterday. Awesome, as you said, and the flowing of the whole music is just kickass. As I listened, I didn't notice that the tracks changed; They're all linked together in one way or another!
12.10.2011 - 19:49
InnerSelf
proofread free
Written by Guest on 12.10.2011 at 15:59

Written by InnerSelf on 29.08.2009 at 14:51

nice review

I've heard Redemption Lost several times before, but I only checked out the whole album yesterday. Awesome, as you said, and the flowing of the whole music is just kickass. As I listened, I didn't notice that the tracks changed; They're all linked together in one way or another!

Can't get enough of Ahab my thoughts about this album never changed since the day I wrote those words and maybe I love it now even more
----
is not bold enough

Hits total: 9512 | This month: 22