Bonus DVD
01. Crucified Ones
02. Black To The Blind
03. The Epitaph
04. Carnal
05. Wings
06. This Is The War
07. Lead Us

Vader, that stick in the mud of death metal. Necropolis is the title given to the latest gathering of recordings sent our way from Poland, and is the first album with the completely new line-up hired by Peter to do his bidding. This is full-length album number nine, Peter is certainly no stranger to what it takes to create a great death metal album and so you would expect this offering to be no different.

And that is just what it is. The new band have exactly the same Vader-sound as all those past records, Peter is himself once more, and the album is yet another crushing block of rampaging death as we would come to expect from something with the Vader name on it.

Necropolis is a short album, clocking in just over half an hour, and the songs seem shorter than usual too. This isn't a problem however as long as jabs like the one minute-fifty seconds "Blast" continue to do what they say on the tin. "Never Say My Name" is also an awesomely good two-minute track with an inexplicably evil edge that Vader has never shown before.

In general Necropolis has the usual chugging fast pace of some evil war machine engine doing its work, although "Impure" does drag the pace of the album down somewhat, as does the blatant filler tracks "The Seal" and "Summoning The Futura". On the whole though, the majority of this album is great material with plenty of the usual trademark Vader blastbeats, guitar work and dry vocals.

Truth is, everyone already knows Vader, and that means everyone will already know this album. Necropolis provides nothing new to the listener at all, but then again did we really expect it to? Or better yet, did we want it to? This is Peter, or Vader, doing its thing in his traditional solid way, and no one can argue against that. Necropolis gives us no surprises, but we didn't want it to now, did we.

-

Death metal
Nuclear Blast
Poland
Length: 33:27

Rating breakdown
Performance: 8
Songwriting: 7
Originality: 6
Production: 8

Written on 27.08.2009 by Member of Staff since 2006

Comments

Comments: 16   Visited by: 280 users
27.08.2009 - 18:44
Rating: 7
Biedrik

Good review. I generally agree with you. Vader really doesn't provide anything that's new when it comes to style. The only real shift in Vader's sound over the years has been the tone of Peter's growl.
----
I'm selling metal posters! Ask me about them if you're interested.
27.08.2009 - 22:47
Rating: 8
terrorist

Yeah you;re right something is missing on this album.It is standard Vader sound and everything but originality is way down comparing this album to Immpresion in Blood or the Beast.
----
Will the ones who live after our end
Worship the goddamn cross again?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hnlG0h7YN_8&feature=related
28.08.2009 - 03:27
danielllewis

Wow, metalstorm has a review of this before metal-archives.

Anyways, I never knew that they had a completely new line-up aside from Peter. After hearing that, and this review in general, I don't think I'll be getting this album.
----
28.08.2009 - 05:48
Rating: 6
Daggon
Underpaid M.D.
At first listen I thought "Why Vader, why?", sincerely I found it disappointing, but after listening to the album with my total attention I found it good, not outstanding, just good. "Impressions In Blood" was a killer album, it blew up my mind, I loved the way Daray abused the use of blast beats and how they managed to pull those killer riffs and guitar soli in a way they never did before (at least IMO). That said, I just can say that even if this album has some cool songs, it lacks of "something", don't get me wrong, Vader is Vader, and that means IMO quality in Death Metal.
BTW I love the Venom cover, Peter's voice fills perfectly.
----
"Les vers savent qu'ils n'ont pas d'ailes, c'est pour cela qu'ils se cachent sous terre"
28.08.2009 - 13:57
Rating: 6
Elio
Red Nightmare
Same thing as Behemoth's new album, generic uninspired ear-raping, yawn.
----
IntoPlighT said: "Slipknot is 15 years old how the fuck is that Nu metal?"

BEST. QUOTE. EVER.
28.08.2009 - 16:48
Rating: 5
whitepawel

Written by Elio on 28.08.2009 at 13:57

It's sad but I must agree...
(I'm polish)
28.08.2009 - 17:33
enumaelis

Written by whitepawel on 28.08.2009 at 16:48

Written by Elio on 28.08.2009 at 13:57

It's sad but I must agree...
(I'm polish)

+1
----
http://enumaelis.blogspot.com/
28.08.2009 - 18:06
Sunioj

No way, this album is not nearly as epic as Behemoth's Evangelion! It just sounds like filler from their old albums.
02.09.2009 - 14:36
SlaytallicA
Lycanthropy
This is a typical Vader album and I like it that way! 8.5...
----
One Pound Of Flesh, No More No Less, No Cartilage, No Bones, But Only Flesh...
03.09.2009 - 13:29
In Bone Factory

I like itn e way.its cool dudes.
----
The End Is Nigh ...
11.09.2009 - 15:31
BudDa

Written by Daggon on 28.08.2009 at 05:48

At first listen I thought "Why Vader, why?", sincerely I found it disappointing, but after listening to the album with my total attention I found it good, not outstanding, just good. "Impressions In Blood" was a killer album, it blew up my mind, I loved the way Daray abused the use of blast beats and how they managed to pull those killer riffs and guitar soli in a way they never did before (at least IMO). That said, I just can say that even if this album has some cool songs, it lacks of "something", don't get me wrong, Vader is Vader, and that means IMO quality in Death Metal.
BTW I love the Venom cover, Peter's voice fills perfectly.

I do agree with you esp with Daray. I loved the way he varied his drumming in Art of War and Impressions in Blood. His blast beats were superb. I thot he was a keeper. I also thot he was a natural replacement for Doc(RIP). Anyway, hes not in here and to me..something on Necropolis just doesn't click. I give it an 8 though
----
Freeze! Step away from the hubris.
16.11.2009 - 07:42
Uirapuru
Liver Failure
Quote:
Vader, that stick in the mud of death metal.

Baz, it looked like you would start a poem with that sentence.

Sounding the same old Vader of always. Fine by me, its just the way I like.

''When The Sun Drowns In Dark'' was a nice 7minutes surprise (actually 4 minutes, but whatever...) Too bad the album is too short. If it wasnt for the cover songs, it would only be 11 songs in 30 minutes.
----

----
member of the true crusade against old school heavy metal, early 80s thrash, NWOBHM, traditional doom, first and second wave black metal, old school death metal, US power metal, 70s prog rock and atmospheric doomsludgestoner. o/
16.11.2009 - 08:08
Rating: 7
Dangerboner
Lactation Cnslt
Good review. It's sad when the best songs are covers
04.12.2010 - 17:19
Deadmeat
Necrobutcher
Good review but i think that you could compare this album with the previous for example when Vader is "the same Vader" as you say but Impressions In Blood is much MUCH better. this one is a bit boring. i really (i mean a lot) like only 1 song, Never Say My Name. and rise of the undead is a motherfucking COPY-PASTE of Black To The Blind. i am unhappy and disappointed from Vader after this one. they could do a lot better.
no energy here...
----
Υou've sold your human essence to the cold world of dead and empty things... You're SOLD!
20.04.2011 - 16:33
DavidSESilva

I sugest you guys that feel disapointed give it a few more spins.
I felt the same way but somehow i can't stop listening to it and find it to be more memorable than Impressions and the Beast. It has a distinct Evil Thrash Old School feel that the others lacked I think.
Vader Kills... Once again
29.01.2015 - 23:56
flightoficarus
Stamp Tramp
Some great cuts on this album. But yes, it is missing something as a whole. The cover art seems like a nod to Incantation.
----
Daily underground metal recommendations at Metal Trenches.
Listen to the Trench Talk podcast.

Hits total: 10082 | This month: 7